Setup Remote Desktop

Jack

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003

I have been searching and searching for help on this but have had
limited success.

I am the "administrator" for the PCs at my mom's and dad's house. I
am going off to college in a month and would like to be able to access
their PCs from school via Remote Desktop. I have Windows XP Pro on
all machines. I have enabled Remote Desktop on all machines. My PC
is behind a wireless router as are theirs. And all three machines
have dynamic IP addresses. I have enabled the port 3389 on the
routers and firewall software. What else do I need to do? It might
be the dynamic IP address that is creating the problem...

Any help on setting this up would be greatly appreciated.

One solution is to setup an account with one of the dynamic naming services that map a fully
qualified domain name to the IP. In my case I use a FREE service from No-IP.com. The No-IP.com
software runs on my XP Pro box and on a time schedule basis contacts the No-IP.com servers. The
No-IP.com servers then know what your IP is and maps that to a fully qualified domain name. That
information is then propagated over the public internet. You could then call the client PC using the
fully qualified domain name. It works very well for me when I call my home network using Remote
Desktop.

http://www.no-ip.com

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"Jack" <jack_linden@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have been searching and searching for help on this but have had
> limited success.
>
> I am the "administrator" for the PCs at my mom's and dad's house. I
> am going off to college in a month and would like to be able to access
> their PCs from school via Remote Desktop. I have Windows XP Pro on
> all machines. I have enabled Remote Desktop on all machines. My PC
> is behind a wireless router as are theirs. And all three machines
> have dynamic IP addresses. I have enabled the port 3389 on the
> routers and firewall software. What else do I need to do? It might
> be the dynamic IP address that is creating the problem...
>
> Any help on setting this up would be greatly appreciated.

Jack check out www.rethinkit.com

simple straightforward information that i found helpful