[350D] Eliminating 'blue halo'

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,alt.comp.periphs.dcameras.canon (More info?)

How does one do it? Is it a camera thing - or something that requires
editing out afterwards? I have just taken a photo of a pot of white daffs
because today is perfect picture taking weather - blue skies and perfect
lighting conditions. I must admit I'm still very green when it comes to
digital photography and haven't ventured beyond the auto settings.
Obvoiously it's only visible on white or pale coloured objects.

Is there a fault with the camera, or is it something that can be eliminated
with focus settings? I'm using the bog-standard 18-55mm lens which was
supplied in the kit.

It was taken at around 12:30 and the sun was behind a tree. I was standing
about 5-6 feet away from the subject and the camera was set to autofocus.

If there's anything else you need to know, then ask.

Any tips? Any pearls of wisdom you'd care to share...?

All tips/hints/knowledge would be very much appreciated. If you could tell
me how to remove it once you've got it, I'd be grateful for that too (I use
PSP9 and PS CS).

Miss Perspicacia Tick wrote:
> How does one do it? Is it a camera thing - or something that requires
> editing out afterwards? I have just taken a photo of a pot of white
> daffs because today is perfect picture taking weather - blue skies
> and perfect lighting conditions. I must admit I'm still very green
> when it comes to digital photography and haven't ventured beyond the
> auto settings. Obvoiously it's only visible on white or pale coloured
> objects.
> Is there a fault with the camera, or is it something that can be
> eliminated with focus settings? I'm using the bog-standard 18-55mm
> lens which was supplied in the kit.
>
> It was taken at around 12:30 and the sun was behind a tree. I was
> standing about 5-6 feet away from the subject and the camera was set
> to autofocus.
> If there's anything else you need to know, then ask.
>
> Any tips? Any pearls of wisdom you'd care to share...?
>
> All tips/hints/knowledge would be very much appreciated. If you could
> tell me how to remove it once you've got it, I'd be grateful for that
> too (I use PSP9 and PS CS).

You might also consider posting your question at rec.photo.digital; lots of
knowledgeable folks there as well.

I also have the new Rebel and love it but I don't think I've come across
your halo problem - yet

Hope you have more sunny days for photography - here in Alaska, things were
messy but melting up until a couple of days ago. Then it began snowing and
hasn't stopped since. It's a spring snow and will not be around long, but
there sure is getting to be a lot of it! :)

Take care,
Michelle
(SeaShel)
(waving hi from Sims)

> Thank you Herman. I'm not really au fait with PS. Could you tell me how to
> do it - or point me to a tutorial? Could you also explain what "stopping
> down" means? Sorry to be so thick, but I've not been doing this long!

I am not a PS wizard either. The article I pointed to has a link to free PS
plugins that should do the job for you, but please don't ask me how. I am
not very familiar with PS myself.

Stopping down means that you 'close' the diaphragm of the lens. Usually this
leads to less fringing, although Bob Atkins says that on this lens this is
not the case. You may just have to try a number of diaphragm settings to see
what happens.

--
Enjoy!

Herman.