linksys wireless router and SP2 problems

I bought a linksys wrt54F wireless router to set up a wireless network at
home. After installing it, my laptop (running winXP with SP2) does not even
recognize the network. I called linksys customer support and was told that
this is an issue with SP2 and the new firewall and was told to uninstall SP2
from my laptop in order to be able to log on wirelessly. They said there is
no patch available from linksys.

Any chance that linksys customer service is clueless? If so, anyone know how
I can get my laptop to connect to the network wirelessly without uninstalling
SP2?

Thanks (please keep it simple, not too advanced in technical stuff,
especially registry editing steps)
13 answers Last reply
More about linksys wireless router problems

    Are you able to view available networks at all?

    rights.

    "Victor" <Victor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I bought a linksys wrt54F wireless router to set up a wireless network at
    > home. After installing it, my laptop (running winXP with SP2) does not
    > even
    > recognize the network. I called linksys customer support and was told that
    > this is an issue with SP2 and the new firewall and was told to uninstall
    > SP2
    > from my laptop in order to be able to log on wirelessly. They said there
    > is
    > no patch available from linksys.
    >
    > Any chance that linksys customer service is clueless? If so, anyone know
    > how
    > I can get my laptop to connect to the network wirelessly without
    > uninstalling
    > SP2?
    >
    > Thanks (please keep it simple, not too advanced in technical stuff,
    > especially registry editing steps)

    Hmm.... my WRT54G works perfectly (and even better) with my SP2 wireless
    clients. On what firmware version is it running?

    I did actually experience a disappearing WRT54G even before SP2. The
    WLAN indicator would be on but no SSID would be found - I could see my
    neighbour's router, but not my WRT54G, even when SSID was broadcasting,
    so I doubt it was my wireless clients' problem (not all 3 of them at
    once). After a hard reset (hold the reset button for 30 seconds) and
    everything was fine, but I had to reconfigure the router all over again
    :(

    "Sam Salhi [MSFT]" <samers@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | Are you able to view available networks at all?
    |
    | --
    | =============================================
    | rights.
    | =============================================
    |
    | "Victor" <Victor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | >I bought a linksys wrt54F wireless router to set up a wireless
    network at
    | > home. After installing it, my laptop (running winXP with SP2) does
    not
    | > even
    | > recognize the network. I called linksys customer support and was
    told that
    | > this is an issue with SP2 and the new firewall and was told to
    uninstall
    | > SP2
    | > from my laptop in order to be able to log on wirelessly. They said
    there
    | > is
    | > no patch available from linksys.
    | >
    | > Any chance that linksys customer service is clueless? If so, anyone
    know
    | > how
    | > I can get my laptop to connect to the network wirelessly without
    | > uninstalling
    | > SP2?
    | >
    | > Thanks (please keep it simple, not too advanced in technical stuff,
    | > especially registry editing steps)

    Hi,
    I am also having problem with my Linksys BEFW11S4. Able to see the network
    but just can't get connected. Went to Linksys website. Told to upgrade
    Firmware. Did that but still can't. All was well before SP2. Linksys advise
    to remove SP2 HOTFIX. But I can't find it.
    Thanks

    "PhiL M." wrote:

    > Hmm.... my WRT54G works perfectly (and even better) with my SP2 wireless
    > clients. On what firmware version is it running?
    >
    > I did actually experience a disappearing WRT54G even before SP2. The
    > WLAN indicator would be on but no SSID would be found - I could see my
    > neighbour's router, but not my WRT54G, even when SSID was broadcasting,
    > so I doubt it was my wireless clients' problem (not all 3 of them at
    > once). After a hard reset (hold the reset button for 30 seconds) and
    > everything was fine, but I had to reconfigure the router all over again
    > :(
    >

    > "Sam Salhi [MSFT]" <samers@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > | Are you able to view available networks at all?
    > |
    > | --
    > | =============================================
    > | This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
    > | rights.
    > | =============================================
    > |
    > | "Victor" <Victor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > | >I bought a linksys wrt54F wireless router to set up a wireless
    > network at
    > | > home. After installing it, my laptop (running winXP with SP2) does
    > not
    > | > even
    > | > recognize the network. I called linksys customer support and was
    > told that
    > | > this is an issue with SP2 and the new firewall and was told to
    > uninstall
    > | > SP2
    > | > from my laptop in order to be able to log on wirelessly. They said
    > there
    > | > is
    > | > no patch available from linksys.
    > | >
    > | > Any chance that linksys customer service is clueless? If so, anyone
    > know
    > | > how
    > | > I can get my laptop to connect to the network wirelessly without
    > | > uninstalling
    > | > SP2?
    > | >
    > | > Thanks (please keep it simple, not too advanced in technical stuff,
    > | > especially registry editing steps)

    I'm not sure it's the same model router, but a while back I bought a Linksys
    router for a relative's new DSL hookup. I found the setup instructions
    vague and seeming to be unnecessarily complicated, but finally did get it
    working. Until later when he called and said it wasn't working. I fixed it
    again, but stuck around and rebooted etc., and sure enough it quit. I found
    the firmware update advice on the Linksys site (this was with SP1), figured
    that was ridiculous but tried it anyway, and it still was worthless. I
    boxed it back up, took it to the store and exchanged it for a Belkin model
    which I owned.

    Hooked it up, put in the install CD and finished the hookup as per
    instructions, it's worked flawlessly for over 3 months now. I didn't have
    to configure anything except adding WEP and setting the password after it
    was working. So, even though I know there are many of these Linksys models
    working somewhere, as far as I can see it's more than their customer service
    that's clueless. If you can exchange it, do it.

    Gary

    "Victor" <Victor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I bought a linksys wrt54F wireless router to set up a wireless network at
    > home. After installing it, my laptop (running winXP with SP2) does not
    > even
    > recognize the network. I called linksys customer support and was told that
    > this is an issue with SP2 and the new firewall and was told to uninstall
    > SP2
    > from my laptop in order to be able to log on wirelessly. They said there
    > is
    > no patch available from linksys.
    >
    > Any chance that linksys customer service is clueless? If so, anyone know
    > how
    > I can get my laptop to connect to the network wirelessly without
    > uninstalling
    > SP2?
    >
    > Thanks (please keep it simple, not too advanced in technical stuff,
    > especially registry editing steps)

    1 Go to your control panel, security center and disable the windows
    firewall.

    2 While in the control panel, go to network connections, select the wireless
    connection, click properties, click wireless networks, click properties,
    click authentication, and UNCHECK enable IEEE802.1x authentication for this
    network (which is checked by default after applying SP2)

    Your network should now work with SP2
    I suggest using Zonealarm from zonelabs.com(free) for your firewall needs.

    I have been using SP2 since it came out and it did break my wireless
    network, until I performed the above steps.

    "greg" <greg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I am also having problem with my Linksys BEFW11S4. Able to see the network
    > but just can't get connected. Went to Linksys website. Told to upgrade
    > Firmware. Did that but still can't. All was well before SP2. Linksys
    > advise
    > to remove SP2 HOTFIX. But I can't find it.
    > Thanks
    >
    > "PhiL M." wrote:
    >
    >> Hmm.... my WRT54G works perfectly (and even better) with my SP2 wireless
    >> clients. On what firmware version is it running?
    >>
    >> I did actually experience a disappearing WRT54G even before SP2. The
    >> WLAN indicator would be on but no SSID would be found - I could see my
    >> neighbour's router, but not my WRT54G, even when SSID was broadcasting,
    >> so I doubt it was my wireless clients' problem (not all 3 of them at
    >> once). After a hard reset (hold the reset button for 30 seconds) and
    >> everything was fine, but I had to reconfigure the router all over again
    >> :(
    >>

    >> "Sam Salhi [MSFT]" <samers@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> | Are you able to view available networks at all?
    >> |
    >> | --
    >> | =============================================
    >> | This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
    >> | rights.
    >> | =============================================
    >> |
    >> | "Victor" <Victor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> network at
    >> not
    >> told that
    >> uninstall
    >> there

    >> know

    Go to control panel and turnoff your the XP firewall. This is a major
    problem for networking with SP2
    "Victor" <Victor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I bought a linksys wrt54F wireless router to set up a wireless network at
    > home. After installing it, my laptop (running winXP with SP2) does not
    > even
    > recognize the network. I called linksys customer support and was told that
    > this is an issue with SP2 and the new firewall and was told to uninstall
    > SP2
    > from my laptop in order to be able to log on wirelessly. They said there
    > is
    > no patch available from linksys.
    >
    > Any chance that linksys customer service is clueless? If so, anyone know
    > how
    > I can get my laptop to connect to the network wirelessly without
    > uninstalling
    > SP2?
    >
    > Thanks (please keep it simple, not too advanced in technical stuff,
    > especially registry editing steps)
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

    No. When I right-click the wireless connection icon in the toolbar at the
    bottom right and click properties, no networks are listed. I tried
    "refreshing" and repairing the network connection from the laptop but still
    not network was listed after the first, and I got a message saying that the
    laptop was unable to connect to a wireless network after the second...

    "Sam Salhi [MSFT]" wrote:

    > Are you able to view available networks at all?

    > rights.
    >
    > "Victor" <Victor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I bought a linksys wrt54F wireless router to set up a wireless network at
    > > home. After installing it, my laptop (running winXP with SP2) does not
    > > even
    > > recognize the network. I called linksys customer support and was told that
    > > this is an issue with SP2 and the new firewall and was told to uninstall
    > > SP2
    > > from my laptop in order to be able to log on wirelessly. They said there
    > > is
    > > no patch available from linksys.
    > >
    > > Any chance that linksys customer service is clueless? If so, anyone know
    > > how
    > > I can get my laptop to connect to the network wirelessly without
    > > uninstalling
    > > SP2?
    > >
    > > Thanks (please keep it simple, not too advanced in technical stuff,
    > > especially registry editing steps)

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

    I have the same problem, you can dissable the security center by typing
    services.msc or msconfig in Start > Run.

    I installed SP2 on 2 laptops with XP Pro, before I installed SP2 everything
    was ok, one with a US Robotics wireless card and one with a Trendnet wireless
    card, I got the same driver is installed ok, everything seems to be working
    but it doesn't detect any access point, it only detects the router via adhoc
    but doesn't work.

    First check this article:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;870702

    In the first one I solved the problem doing the following and installing
    this patch:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;884020

    On the second laptop with the trendnet card it still doesn't work, If I use
    the US Robotics card works fine.

    Contact the manufacturer or download the latest driver for the wireless
    card. The problem is not the firewall or router, but the driver of the card
    and SP2.

    Regards,
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

    My primary PC connected to the wireless router was just upgraded to SP2. I
    just realized that the secondary PC with the adapter still has SP1. Could
    this be part of the problem why the secondary PC cannot get connected to the
    Internet after the SP2 upgrade?

    "Tony" wrote:

    > I have the same problem, you can dissable the security center by typing
    > services.msc or msconfig in Start > Run.
    >
    > I installed SP2 on 2 laptops with XP Pro, before I installed SP2 everything
    > was ok, one with a US Robotics wireless card and one with a Trendnet wireless
    > card, I got the same driver is installed ok, everything seems to be working
    > but it doesn't detect any access point, it only detects the router via adhoc
    > but doesn't work.
    >
    > First check this article:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;870702
    >
    > In the first one I solved the problem doing the following and installing
    > this patch:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;884020
    >
    > On the second laptop with the trendnet card it still doesn't work, If I use
    > the US Robotics card works fine.
    >
    > Contact the manufacturer or download the latest driver for the wireless
    > card. The problem is not the firewall or router, but the driver of the card
    > and SP2.
    >
    > Regards,
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

    Maybe, that could be the problem, SP2 changed and upgraded all the wireless
    options and protocols...

    "BJ" wrote:

    > My primary PC connected to the wireless router was just upgraded to SP2. I
    > just realized that the secondary PC with the adapter still has SP1. Could
    > this be part of the problem why the secondary PC cannot get connected to the
    > Internet after the SP2 upgrade?
    >
    > "Tony" wrote:
    >
    > > I have the same problem, you can dissable the security center by typing
    > > services.msc or msconfig in Start > Run.
    > >
    > > I installed SP2 on 2 laptops with XP Pro, before I installed SP2 everything
    > > was ok, one with a US Robotics wireless card and one with a Trendnet wireless
    > > card, I got the same driver is installed ok, everything seems to be working
    > > but it doesn't detect any access point, it only detects the router via adhoc
    > > but doesn't work.
    > >
    > > First check this article:
    > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;870702
    > >
    > > In the first one I solved the problem doing the following and installing
    > > this patch:
    > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;884020
    > >
    > > On the second laptop with the trendnet card it still doesn't work, If I use
    > > the US Robotics card works fine.
    > >
    > > Contact the manufacturer or download the latest driver for the wireless
    > > card. The problem is not the firewall or router, but the driver of the card
    > > and SP2.
    > >
    > > Regards,
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

    I brought a WAG54G wireless router and WPC54G pcmcia card awhile ago and get
    disconnected several times a day with wireless, the wired side of things
    were ok but sometimes the wired side stopped working (4-5 times a week) and
    had to restart the router even though the activity light was still green, so
    gave up on the Linksys and brought a 3Com 11g firewall router and everything
    works great now, the only problems I'm having now is that about 50% of the
    time when the phone rings which is a cordless the wireless would drop but
    would reconnect a short time later.

    "Tony" <Tony@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Maybe, that could be the problem, SP2 changed and upgraded all the
    > wireless
    > options and protocols...
    >
    > "BJ" wrote:
    >
    >> My primary PC connected to the wireless router was just upgraded to SP2.
    >> just realized that the secondary PC with the adapter still has SP1. Could
    >> this be part of the problem why the secondary PC cannot get connected to
    >> the
    >> Internet after the SP2 upgrade?
    >>
    >> "Tony" wrote:
    >>
    >> > I have the same problem, you can dissable the security center by typing
    >> > services.msc or msconfig in Start > Run.
    >> >
    >> > I installed SP2 on 2 laptops with XP Pro, before I installed SP2
    >> > everything
    >> > was ok, one with a US Robotics wireless card and one with a Trendnet
    >> > wireless
    >> > card, I got the same driver is installed ok, everything seems to be
    >> > working
    >> > but it doesn't detect any access point, it only detects the router via
    >> > adhoc
    >> > but doesn't work.
    >> >
    >> > First check this article:
    >> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;870702
    >> >
    >> > In the first one I solved the problem doing the following and
    >> > installing
    >> > this patch:
    >> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;884020
    >> >
    >> > On the second laptop with the trendnet card it still doesn't work, If I
    >> > use
    >> > the US Robotics card works fine.
    >> >
    >> > Contact the manufacturer or download the latest driver for the wireless
    >> > card. The problem is not the firewall or router, but the driver of the
    >> > card
    >> > and SP2.
    >> >
    >> > Regards,
  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

    Did your try another channel in your router setup? Your phone must be a 2.4
    GHz phone and causing interference with the wireless router causing the
    disconnect. Also try lowering the antenna on the phones and moving them
    someplace else.

    "Clayton" <claytonbNOSPAM@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
    >I brought a WAG54G wireless router and WPC54G pcmcia card awhile ago and
    >get disconnected several times a day with wireless, the wired side of
    >things were ok but sometimes the wired side stopped working (4-5 times a
    >week) and had to restart the router even though the activity light was
    >still green, so gave up on the Linksys and brought a 3Com 11g firewall
    >router and everything works great now, the only problems I'm having now is
    >that about 50% of the time when the phone rings which is a cordless the
    >wireless would drop but would reconnect a short time later.
    >

    > "Tony" <Tony@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> Maybe, that could be the problem, SP2 changed and upgraded all the
    >> wireless
    >> options and protocols...
    >>
    >> "BJ" wrote:
    >>
    >>> My primary PC connected to the wireless router was just upgraded to SP2.
    >>> just realized that the secondary PC with the adapter still has SP1.
    >>> Could
    >>> this be part of the problem why the secondary PC cannot get connected to
    >>> the

  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

    Thanks guys...I think I'm just going to revert back to SP1 on the host
    computer and uninstall SP2 for now. My daughter uses the secondary PC, which
    I bought for her last month, so she can use it anytime for her college work.
    Don't think I have the brains and the time to play with this problem. The
    question is, is it safe to uninstall if I use the options provided by MS?

    bj

    "Ed." wrote:

    > Did your try another channel in your router setup? Your phone must be a 2.4
    > GHz phone and causing interference with the wireless router causing the
    > disconnect. Also try lowering the antenna on the phones and moving them
    > someplace else.
    >
    > "Clayton" <claytonbNOSPAM@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
    > >I brought a WAG54G wireless router and WPC54G pcmcia card awhile ago and
    > >get disconnected several times a day with wireless, the wired side of
    > >things were ok but sometimes the wired side stopped working (4-5 times a
    > >week) and had to restart the router even though the activity light was
    > >still green, so gave up on the Linksys and brought a 3Com 11g firewall
    > >router and everything works great now, the only problems I'm having now is
    > >that about 50% of the time when the phone rings which is a cordless the
    > >wireless would drop but would reconnect a short time later.
    > >

    > > "Tony" <Tony@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >> Maybe, that could be the problem, SP2 changed and upgraded all the
    > >> wireless
    > >> options and protocols...

Wireless Router Laptops Linksys Wireless Networking