Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 WILL NOT install 64-bit on my system, only 32-bit!!??!

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
January 4, 2011 1:40:46 AM

I just formatted my computer and after completion of my install of Windows 7 I noticed that it installed the 32-bit version, yet for the last year it has been running the 64-bit version!!

I have no idea why it won't let me install the 64-bit version, I even tried another fresh install of Windows 7 but I got the same result.

Thinking it was hardware, I ran the Windows Experience Index and then clicked "View details etc.." and it indeed did say that my system IS 64-bit capable!!!

What am I doing wrong?? Or what am I not doing in order to reach the 64-bit install threshold? Please help and thank you for reading and responding

I also have my ram and processor overclocked (running at 3.1 ghz)

Here is the log from 5 minutes ago on my lates WEI run!

Component Details Subscore Base score
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6600 @ 2.40GHz 6.4 5.5
Determined by lowest subscore

Memory (RAM) 2.00 GB ---->> 5.5
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM v1.1) ---->> 6.7
Gaming graphics 1023 MB Total available graphics memory ---->> 6.7
Primary hard disk 290GB Free (298GB Total) ---->> 5.9
Windows 7 Ultimate

System
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Manufacturer System manufacturer
Model System Product Name
Total amount of system memory 2.00 GB RAM
System type 32-bit operating system
Number of processor cores 2
64-bit capable Yes <<<<<<<<<---------------------------!!!!!!

Storage
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total size of hard disk(s) 298 GB
Disk partition (C 290 GB Free (298 GB Total)
Media drive (D CD/DVD

Graphics

Display adapter type NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM v1.1)
Total available graphics memory 1087 MB
Dedicated graphics memory 320 MB
Dedicated system memory 0 MB
Shared system memory 767 MB
Display adapter driver version 8.15.11.8593
Primary monitor resolution 1920x1080
DirectX version DirectX 10

Network

Network Adapter Realtek RTL8168B/8111B Family PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.20)

Notes

The gaming graphics score is based on the primary graphics adapter. If this system has linked or multiple graphics adapters, some software applications may see additional performance benefits.
January 4, 2011 1:55:46 AM

You probably used the 32bit key code. Was it a retail version or OEM? Either version should have label saying if it is 32 or 64bit.
January 4, 2011 1:59:34 AM

Key code? Like the code on the box? Is there one for 32-bit and one for 64-bit?

I'm thinking I used the same disc I used last year when I installed it. When you buy it can you buy either the 32-bit or the 64-bit or do you buy the disc and it comes with 2 codes?

Should it ask me anywhere what version I should install?
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
January 4, 2011 2:00:14 AM

Quote:
I just formatted my computer and after completion of my install of Windows 7 I noticed that it installed the 32-bit version, yet for the last year it has been running the 64-bit version!!

How was it formatted ? Have you tried a reformat ?

Windows Retail comes with both 32 and 64 bit versions .... did you use the right one ?

Windows OEM comes only in 32 bit or 64 bit so that mistake can't be made.
January 4, 2011 2:10:10 AM

By 'comes with both' do you mean both versions, as in 2 different DVD's or both Activation Codes?

Ya for the last year I was using 64-bit and then this afternoon I wanted to reformat so I transfered all my files to my external and then booted Win 7 Ultimate from my DVD and did a fresh format/install and then I went to install my iTunes/Adobe CS 5 files and they wouldn't load because they were only 64-bit compatible..

It through me off because I had been running 64-bit for the last year
a b $ Windows 7
January 4, 2011 3:21:58 AM

The retail versions come with 2 disks a 32 bit and a 64 bit both use the same key, the upgrade version is retail as well and the same applies.
The OEM as Jack said is one or the other.
You don't say if the original OS was preinstalled or whether you installed it.
If it was preinstalled, could be the 64 bit was used to install, but you received a 32 bit disk.
a b $ Windows 7
January 4, 2011 5:30:15 AM

Jonmor68 said:
The retail versions come with 2 disks a 32 bit and a 64 bit both use the same key, the upgrade version is retail as well and the same applies.
The OEM as Jack said is one or the other.
You don't say if the original OS was preinstalled or whether you installed it.
If it was preinstalled, could be the 64 bit was used to install, but you received a 32 bit disk.

Makes sense. How did you buy Windows in the first place? Was it a full retail copy or an OEM copy?
a b $ Windows 7
January 4, 2011 5:42:39 AM

in the box you should have 2 disks, 32 and 64bit, what does it say on the disk?
!