SVCD on DVD

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 19, 2004 12:58:34 AM

I've captured some video in a SVCD format and am interested in burning it to
a DVD. When I use Nero, and select DVD, burning an SVCD is not an option.
When I select CD, SVCD is an option complete with menus, but the scale at
the bottom of the screen is for a cd with the 700M limit.

Should I be able to burn a standard SVCD format on a DVD using menus?

The best I've done so far is to burn the SVCD mpeg files to a DVD like a
data disk, and that runs on my stand alone DVD player but it's not very
cool.

I'm choosing SVCD format because the quality of video doesn't merit the disk
space requirements of the DVD format.

Any suggestions?

More about : svcd dvd

Anonymous
November 19, 2004 7:05:42 AM

Use the DVD and if you want lower quality/less space, use a lower bitrate

--

Dave Jones
www.vdoguy.com

"Steve P" <pearcejk@nospamearthlink.net> wrote in message
> I've captured some video in a SVCD format and am interested in burning it
> a DVD. When I use Nero, and select DVD, burning an SVCD is not an option.
> When I select CD, SVCD is an option complete with menus, but the scale at
> the bottom of the screen is for a cd with the 700M limit.
>
> Should I be able to burn a standard SVCD format on a DVD using menus?
>
> The best I've done so far is to burn the SVCD mpeg files to a DVD like a
> data disk, and that runs on my stand alone DVD player but it's not very
> cool.
>
> I'm choosing SVCD format because the quality of video doesn't merit the
disk
> space requirements of the DVD format.
>
> Any suggestions?

Anonymous
November 19, 2004 8:32:40 AM

> I've captured some video in a SVCD format and am interested in burning it
> a DVD. When I use Nero, and select DVD, burning an SVCD is not an option.
> When I select CD, SVCD is an option complete with menus, but the scale at
> the bottom of the screen is for a cd with the 700M limit.
>
> Should I be able to burn a standard SVCD format on a DVD using menus?
>
> The best I've done so far is to burn the SVCD mpeg files to a DVD like a
> data disk, and that runs on my stand alone DVD player but it's not very
> cool.
>
> I'm choosing SVCD format because the quality of video doesn't merit the
disk
> space requirements of the DVD format.
>
> Any suggestions?

DVD Lab will let you import SVCDs and burn them like normal DVD files, but
it's not compatible with all players.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
November 19, 2004 12:20:31 PM

SVCD is just an Mpeg file at higher quaility stuck onto a Cd. You could put
the file onto a DVD but you would have to burn it in DATA mode, not DVD
mode.

Would this then play in a DVD player? Dunno.

Since you want to put it on a DVD, just reencode it to DVD standard and
author it onto a DVD. Why even muck about with SVCD and the resulting
question of whether such and such DVD player will play it or not?

"Steve P" <pearcejk@nospamearthlink.net> wrote in message
> I've captured some video in a SVCD format and am interested in burning it
> a DVD. When I use Nero, and select DVD, burning an SVCD is not an option.
> When I select CD, SVCD is an option complete with menus, but the scale at
> the bottom of the screen is for a cd with the 700M limit.
>
> Should I be able to burn a standard SVCD format on a DVD using menus?
>
> The best I've done so far is to burn the SVCD mpeg files to a DVD like a
> data disk, and that runs on my stand alone DVD player but it's not very
> cool.
>
> I'm choosing SVCD format because the quality of video doesn't merit the
disk
> space requirements of the DVD format.
>
> Any suggestions?

Anonymous
November 19, 2004 3:48:22 PM

Perhaps I didn't provide enough background.
I initially capture some video in MPEG2 SVCD format and had several files
about 800Meg in length. I went into Sonic's MyDVD and attempted to burn a
DVD. When I selected the files to burn, it said only two of the files would
fit onto the 4.7G DVD. I assumed it was transcoding my original files up to
a 720x480 DVD standard. That was why I was thinking about the SVCD route.
I guess what I really need to do is use one of the lower quality DVD
standards, that is comparable to the the rate at which I capture video.

"RS" <idontthinkso@mail.com> wrote in message
> SVCD is just an Mpeg file at higher quaility stuck onto a Cd. You could
> put
> the file onto a DVD but you would have to burn it in DATA mode, not DVD
> mode.
>
> Would this then play in a DVD player? Dunno.
>
> Since you want to put it on a DVD, just reencode it to DVD standard and
> author it onto a DVD. Why even muck about with SVCD and the resulting
> question of whether such and such DVD player will play it or not?
>

> "Steve P" <pearcejk@nospamearthlink.net> wrote in message
>> I've captured some video in a SVCD format and am interested in burning it
>> a DVD. When I use Nero, and select DVD, burning an SVCD is not an
>> option.
>> When I select CD, SVCD is an option complete with menus, but the scale at
>> the bottom of the screen is for a cd with the 700M limit.
>>
>> Should I be able to burn a standard SVCD format on a DVD using menus?
>>
>> The best I've done so far is to burn the SVCD mpeg files to a DVD like a
>> data disk, and that runs on my stand alone DVD player but it's not very
>> cool.
>>
>> I'm choosing SVCD format because the quality of video doesn't merit the
> disk
>> space requirements of the DVD format.
>>
>> Any suggestions?

November 19, 2004 7:00:18 PM

SVCD's are in 480x480 size. To get them into DVD format they do indeed have
to be transcoded to 720x480. Just the nature of the beast.

The amount you can put onto a standard DVD is also a factor of the bitrate
you have that DVD authored. You can drop that bitrate and get a good deal
more onto a DVD. Drop it down and try a variable bitrate of about 5000 (9000
top 5000 avg 100 low).

Side comment. Although your files are resized to 720x480 and are bigger in
size, the annoying reality is that they will lose some quality in the
process. What is discarded in the original compression is forever lost.

> Perhaps I didn't provide enough background.
> I initially capture some video in MPEG2 SVCD format and had several files
> about 800Meg in length. I went into Sonic's MyDVD and attempted to burn a
> DVD. When I selected the files to burn, it said only two of the files
would
> fit onto the 4.7G DVD. I assumed it was transcoding my original files up
> a 720x480 DVD standard. That was why I was thinking about the SVCD route.
> I guess what I really need to do is use one of the lower quality DVD
> standards, that is comparable to the the rate at which I capture video.
>

> "RS" <idontthinkso@mail.com> wrote in message
> > SVCD is just an Mpeg file at higher quaility stuck onto a Cd. You could
> > put
> > the file onto a DVD but you would have to burn it in DATA mode, not DVD
> > mode.
> >
> > Would this then play in a DVD player? Dunno.
> >
> > Since you want to put it on a DVD, just reencode it to DVD standard and
> > author it onto a DVD. Why even muck about with SVCD and the resulting
> > question of whether such and such DVD player will play it or not?
> >

> > "Steve P" <pearcejk@nospamearthlink.net> wrote in message
> >> I've captured some video in a SVCD format and am interested in burning
it
> >> a DVD. When I use Nero, and select DVD, burning an SVCD is not an
> >> option.
> >> When I select CD, SVCD is an option complete with menus, but the scale
at
> >> the bottom of the screen is for a cd with the 700M limit.
> >>
> >> Should I be able to burn a standard SVCD format on a DVD using menus?
> >>
> >> The best I've done so far is to burn the SVCD mpeg files to a DVD like
> >> data disk, and that runs on my stand alone DVD player but it's not very
> >> cool.
> >>
> >> I'm choosing SVCD format because the quality of video doesn't merit the
> > disk
> >> space requirements of the DVD format.
> >>
> >> Any suggestions?

Anonymous
November 19, 2004 7:47:51 PM

> SVCD's are in 480x480 size. To get them into DVD format they do indeed
> have
> to be transcoded to 720x480. Just the nature of the beast.

Wrong - 720x480 is not the only size in the DVD standard, not
even for NTSC. Go to www.videohelp.com or www.doom9.org
and look for guides showing the process to go from SVCD to DVD.
The format I would shoot for would be Half D1 or 352x480.

> The amount you can put onto a standard DVD is also a factor of the bitrate
> you have that DVD authored. You can drop that bitrate and get a good deal
> more onto a DVD. Drop it down and try a variable bitrate of about 5000
> (9000
> top 5000 avg 100 low).
>
> Side comment. Although your files are resized to 720x480 and are bigger in
> size, the annoying reality is that they will lose some quality in the
> process. What is discarded in the original compression is forever lost.
>

> "Steve P" <pearcejk@nospamearthlink.net> wrote in message
>> Perhaps I didn't provide enough background.
>> I initially capture some video in MPEG2 SVCD format and had several files
>> about 800Meg in length. I went into Sonic's MyDVD and attempted to burn
>> DVD. When I selected the files to burn, it said only two of the files
> would
>> fit onto the 4.7G DVD. I assumed it was transcoding my original files up
>> a 720x480 DVD standard. That was why I was thinking about the SVCD
>> route.
>> I guess what I really need to do is use one of the lower quality DVD
>> standards, that is comparable to the the rate at which I capture video.
>>

>> "RS" <idontthinkso@mail.com> wrote in message
>> > SVCD is just an Mpeg file at higher quaility stuck onto a Cd. You could
>> > put
>> > the file onto a DVD but you would have to burn it in DATA mode, not DVD
>> > mode.
>> >
>> > Would this then play in a DVD player? Dunno.
>> >
>> > Since you want to put it on a DVD, just reencode it to DVD standard and
>> > author it onto a DVD. Why even muck about with SVCD and the resulting
>> > question of whether such and such DVD player will play it or not?
>> >

>> > "Steve P" <pearcejk@nospamearthlink.net> wrote in message
> it
> at

>> > disk

Anonymous
November 20, 2004 3:48:35 AM

Okay...I'm getting this slowly.
I went back and captured a couple five minute video clips at Half D1 and
then went in MyDVD and burned a DVD with these two clips plus another video
(757M with 352x240).

It played fine on my stand alone DVD player.

The thing that still confuses me is that the original file was 757M and the
corresponding VOB files were 1048M plus a continuation of 143M. (I know
about the 1G limit per VOB)

Using the TECO Bitrate viewer, I looked at the two MPEGs and got the
following:

Original Captured MPEG: Size: 757M

Num. of picture read: 195598

Stream type: MPEG-2 MP@ML VBR

Resolution: 352*240

Aspect ratio: 4:3 Generic

Framerate: 29.97

Nom. bitrate: 3310000 Bit/Sec

VBV buffer size: 112

Constrained param. flag: No

Chroma format: 4:2:0

DCT precision: 10

Pic. structure: Frame

Field topfirst: Yes

DCT type: Frame

Quantscale: Nonlinear

Scan type: ZigZag

Frame type: Interlaced

Notes:

MPEG on DVD post myDVD burning Size: 1049M (+ 143M)

Num. of picture read: 343433 (+ additional pictures in the 2nd VOB)

Stream type: MPEG-2 MP@ML VBR

Resolution: 352*240

Aspect ratio: 4:3 Generic

Framerate: 29.97

Nom. bitrate: 3310000 Bit/Sec

VBV buffer size: 112

Constrained param. flag: No

Chroma format: 4:2:0

DCT precision: 10

Pic. structure: Frame

Field topfirst: Yes

DCT type: Frame

Quantscale: Nonlinear

Scan type: ZigZag

Frame type: Interlaced

Notes:

Since the original MPEG was DVD compliant, why did MyDVD increase the size
of the file? The only difference indicated by the bitviewer was the number
of pictures. The video looked fine so that makes no sense to me.

thanks...

"Ken Maltby" <kmaltby@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

> "RS" <idontthinkso@mail.com> wrote in message
>> SVCD's are in 480x480 size. To get them into DVD format they do indeed
>> have
>> to be transcoded to 720x480. Just the nature of the beast.
>>
> Wrong - 720x480 is not the only size in the DVD standard, not
> even for NTSC. Go to www.videohelp.com or www.doom9.org
> and look for guides showing the process to go from SVCD to DVD.
> The format I would shoot for would be Half D1 or 352x480.

Anonymous
November 20, 2004 4:28:41 AM

> Okay...I'm getting this slowly.
> I went back and captured a couple five minute video clips at Half D1 and
> then went in MyDVD and burned a DVD with these two clips plus another
> video (757M with 352x240).

So you had two clips that were 352x480 and another clip
352x240? These clips were in separate "titles", right?
MyDVD didn't try to put them in the same "Title" did it?
If so, it would have to re-encode so that they are all the
same. You can't have video or audio with different
parameters in the same "Title". You can have 9 times 99
"titles" on a DVD.

I would avoid the "240" size when used with DVD, it takes
MPEG2 and "480" to properly deal with interlaced video.

> It played fine on my stand alone DVD player.

Luck;
Ken

P.S. I don't like or use MyDVD, it may have improved
since I last tried it though.
Anonymous
November 20, 2004 3:41:52 PM

I think my problem was MyDVD. I reauthored the files, the big ones anyway
using TMPGEnc DVD Author and the VOB files were just slightly larger than
the original mpeg files which is reasonable. Now I just need to learn to
how to make the menus decent.
btw on my previous attempt, all the files were burned as seperate Tracks, so
the resolution differences shouldn't have mattered.

thanks for all your help!

> P.S. I don't like or use MyDVD, it may have improved
> since I last tried it though.

Anonymous
November 20, 2004 6:27:51 PM

>I think my problem was MyDVD. I reauthored the files, the big ones anyway
>using TMPGEnc DVD Author and the VOB files were just slightly larger than
>the original mpeg files which is reasonable. Now I just need to learn to
>how to make the menus decent.

I have a bunch of tricks you can use to make some
great menus with TDA if you are interested. The most
useful menu feature of TDA is that it lets you replace
almost anything with one of your own, easily. My
first suggestion is to ignore the supplied "Themes" and
make your own, you can edit your own but not the
supplied ones.

Luck;
Ken
Anonymous
November 20, 2004 9:38:31 PM

I saw your post on the Pegasus web site, I think, regarding the "kk_oop
Thumbnail Speck"
Do you have any more details on a web site somewhere?

> "Steve P" <pearcejk@nospamearthlink.net> wrote in message
>>I think my problem was MyDVD. I reauthored the files, the big ones anyway
>>using TMPGEnc DVD Author and the VOB files were just slightly larger than
>>the original mpeg files which is reasonable. Now I just need to learn to
>>how to make the menus decent.
>
> I have a bunch of tricks you can use to make some
> great menus with TDA if you are interested. The most
> useful menu feature of TDA is that it lets you replace
> almost anything with one of your own, easily. My
> first suggestion is to ignore the supplied "Themes" and
> make your own, you can edit your own but not the
> supplied ones.
>
> Luck;
> Ken

Anonymous
November 21, 2004 1:24:01 AM

>I saw your post on the Pegasus web site, I think, regarding the "kk_oop
>Thumbnail Speck"
> Do you have any more details on a web site somewhere?

I think that post includes my "Rollover Trick" and my old
blank text & Wingdings trick. That's enough to spur the
imagination. Remember that your own "Themes" can be
edited each time you use them and if you don't save the
Theme itself again, they will be just like you made them
the next time you use it. This can come in handy if you
save up TV episodes. I have themes named for a number
of TV Series that I am collecting. Each theme uses the
reoccurring intro. theme as a motion menu background.

I sometimes use the VirtualDubMod filter; Region Remove
to remove pop-up ads from the intro. clip. Of course, I use
VideoReDo to trim the clip and insure that it is DVD
compliant after any editing that requires re-encoding.

Since I gather up the shows I am collecting with a DirecTiVo
unit, I have had a couple (out of hundreds) of episodes that
were damaged due to loss of satellite during thunderstorms.
So I made an additional set of the intro. clips, to use as place
holders, with text added ("Missing or Damaged Episode") by
an editor "Magix Video Deluxe 2.0 Plus" that you can Froogle
on and find for <$15. The last time I looked the lowest was
$9.97. I couldn't get all of it to work right (Yet) but the Text,
Video, and most of Audio Effects work great, as well as a
surprisingly good MPEG Encoder. It also comes with a
bunch of neat extras.

There is a lot more that you can do with TDA than meets
the eye. If you run into something that you want to do, but
can't see how to do it; throw up a post and I'd like to give
it a try.

Luck;
Ken
Anonymous
November 21, 2004 2:28:15 AM

> "Steve P" <pearcejk@nospamearthlink.net> wrote in message
>>I saw your post on the Pegasus web site, I think, regarding the "kk_oop
>>Thumbnail Speck"
>> Do you have any more details on a web site somewhere?
>>

> I think that post includes my "Rollover Trick" and my old
> blank text & Wingdings trick. That's enough to spur the
> imagination. Remember that your own "Themes" can be
> edited each time you use them and if you don't save the
> Theme itself again, they will be just like you made them
> the next time you use it. This can come in handy if you
> save up TV episodes. I have themes named for a number
> of TV Series that I am collecting. Each theme uses the
> reoccurring intro. theme as a motion menu background.
>
> I sometimes use the VirtualDubMod filter; Region Remove
> to remove pop-up ads from the intro. clip. Of course, I use
> VideoReDo to trim the clip and insure that it is DVD
> compliant after any editing that requires re-encoding.
>
> Since I gather up the shows I am collecting with a DirecTiVo
> unit, I have had a couple (out of hundreds) of episodes that
> were damaged due to loss of satellite during thunderstorms.
> So I made an additional set of the intro. clips, to use as place
> holders, with text added ("Missing or Damaged Episode") by
> an editor "Magix Video Deluxe 2.0 Plus" that you can Froogle
> on and find for <$15. The last time I looked the lowest was
> $9.97. I couldn't get all of it to work right (Yet) but the Text,
> Video, and most of Audio Effects work great, as well as a
> surprisingly good MPEG Encoder. It also comes with a
> bunch of neat extras.
>
> There is a lot more that you can do with TDA than meets
> the eye. If you run into something that you want to do, but
> can't see how to do it; throw up a post and I'd like to give
> it a try.
>
> Luck;
> Ken

P.S TDA can use most any fonts you have on your system,
so you might want to Google on "fonts menus buttons free"
there are all kinds things you can use in your menus free on
the net. At least check out :
http://moorstation.org/typoasis/designers/shyfonts/shy_...

Ken
!