I want to join 2 video files and then add audio in TMPGenc..

I had a big (40 minute long) avi file. With AVISynth I splitted the video
portion into 2 halfs. One was encoded as 23.976fps with inverse telecine,
and the other was encoded untouched as 29.976 interlaced. The audio WAV file
is untouched. I can't join them in TMPGenc's MPEG tools due to a different
format. However, I can put these files together in TMPGenc DVD Author.
The question is how to put these files together and then add a common audio.
Once I join the files together in TMPGenc DVD Author, it assumes that the
title has no audio. I would like to change it. If it's not possible, then
the only solution I can think of is to load the 1st .m2v file into
VirtualDubMOD, then add the original WAV file as a stream. Save WAV. And then
load original and trimmed WAV files into the sound editor and cut the original
WAV at the point where trimmed file ends.

--Leonid

"Leonid Makarovsky" <venom@cs.bu.edu> wrote in message
>I had a big (40 minute long) avi file. With AVISynth I splitted the video
> portion into 2 halfs. One was encoded as 23.976fps with inverse telecine,
> and the other was encoded untouched as 29.976 interlaced. The audio WAV
> file
> is untouched. I can't join them in TMPGenc's MPEG tools due to a different
> format. However, I can put these files together in TMPGenc DVD Author.
> The question is how to put these files together and then add a common
> audio.
> Once I join the files together in TMPGenc DVD Author, it assumes that the
> title has no audio. I would like to change it. If it's not possible, then
> the only solution I can think of is to load the 1st .m2v file into
> VirtualDubMOD, then add the original WAV file as a stream. Save WAV. And
> then
> load original and trimmed WAV files into the sound editor and cut the
> original
> WAV at the point where trimmed file ends.
>
> --Leonid

Can't you cut the wav file into two separate files? You
could then put each video in its own track and add the
appropriate wav file as audio.

Luck;
Ken

add

Ken Maltby <kmaltby@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
[...]
:>
:> --Leonid
:>

: Can't you cut the wav file into two separate files? You
: could then put each video in its own track and add the
: appropriate wav file as audio.

That's what I meant I would do if I don't find the solution to put the WAV
file onto 2 merged m2v. I don't want to risk cutting the wav file 'cause
the precise time of first m2v might be inaccurate. I may have a gap.
And also how do I know the precise time? If I load the .m2v file into
VirtualDubMod and cut the WAV file from there, will it give me the precise time?

> : Can't you cut the wav file into two separate files? You
> : could then put each video in its own track and add the
> : appropriate wav file as audio.
>
> That's what I meant I would do if I don't find the solution to put the WAV
> file onto 2 merged m2v. I don't want to risk cutting the wav file 'cause
> the precise time of first m2v might be inaccurate. I may have a gap.
> And also how do I know the precise time? If I load the .m2v file into
> VirtualDubMod and cut the WAV file from there, will it give me the precise
> time?
>
> --Leonid

You can make a copy of your wave file, just like any
other data file, then your original could always be safe.
The standard time delineation used by VDubMod is more
than accurate enough.

Luck;
Ken

"Ken Maltby" <kmaltby@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

> "Leonid Makarovsky" <venom@cs.bu.edu> wrote in message
>
>> : Can't you cut the wav file into two separate files? You
>> : could then put each video in its own track and add the
>> : appropriate wav file as audio.
>>
>> That's what I meant I would do if I don't find the solution to put the
>> WAV
>> file onto 2 merged m2v. I don't want to risk cutting the wav file 'cause
>> the precise time of first m2v might be inaccurate. I may have a gap.
>> And also how do I know the precise time? If I load the .m2v file into
>> VirtualDubMod and cut the WAV file from there, will it give me the
>> precise time?
>>
>> --Leonid
>
> You can make a copy of your wave file, just like any
> other data file, then your original could always be safe.
> The standard time delineation used by VDubMod is more
> than accurate enough.
>
> Luck;
> Ken

I just went back to TDA and added a m2v file and it
showed the audio selection portion "grayed out" but I
could still browse and select an audio file ( including
a wav file) So if you can cut your wave at the right
point, it should be loadable.

> "Ken Maltby" <kmaltby@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "Leonid Makarovsky" <venom@cs.bu.edu> wrote in message
>>
>>> : Can't you cut the wav file into two separate files? You
>>> : could then put each video in its own track and add the
>>> : appropriate wav file as audio.
>>>
>>> That's what I meant I would do if I don't find the solution to put the
>>> WAV
>>> file onto 2 merged m2v. I don't want to risk cutting the wav file 'cause
>>> the precise time of first m2v might be inaccurate. I may have a gap.
>>> And also how do I know the precise time? If I load the .m2v file into
>>> VirtualDubMod and cut the WAV file from there, will it give me the
>>> precise time?
>>>
>>> --Leonid
>>
>> You can make a copy of your wave file, just like any
>> other data file, then your original could always be safe.
>> The standard time delineation used by VDubMod is more
>> than accurate enough.
>>
>> Luck;
>> Ken
>>

> I just went back to TDA and added a m2v file and it
> showed the audio selection portion "grayed out" but I
> could still browse and select an audio file ( including
> a wav file) So if you can cut your wave at the right
> point, it should be loadable.
> Ken

You know, as long as you are using TDA; you could
just click on a background to bring up the selection
window. Then use the file selection window to find your
first .m2v, select it and slide the position indicator to the
end of the file; then you could note the time indicated.
That is were you would cut your wav file.
Ken

On 19 Nov 2004 23:22:30 GMT, Leonid Makarovsky <venom@cs.bu.edu>
wrote:

>:>I had a big (40 minute long) avi file. With AVISynth I splitted the video
>:> portion into 2 halfs. One was encoded as 23.976fps with inverse telecine,
>:> and the other was encoded untouched as 29.976 interlaced. The audio WAV
>:> file
>:> is untouched. I can't join them in TMPGenc's MPEG tools due to a different
>:> format.

There must be something missing in here. Tmpgenc joins mpegs, not
Avis. Do you mean you encoded 2 Avs scripts with Tmpgenc, but the
results (which are mpegs) are not compatible? They should be, provided
you used the same settings for both.

Try checking with Avicodec what's the difference between the 2 mpegs.

Anyway, I would try with mpeg-vcr. Try joining both mpegs with it. If
this doesn't work, then just open each clip in mpeg-vcr, and save it.
Then try to join them. (Or try with VideoReDo -but this one I do not
use it).

I wonder if there's something in the header that makes both clips
different, but I believe that should only come from some (even if
minor) difference in the settings with which each was encoded.

The easiest would have been to join the Avs scripts in VirtualDub, and
save as one only Avi (or segmented Avi). That way, if VirtualDub
complains you can always work on the scripts until they give
compatible clips.

Bariloche <bariloche@bariloche.com> wrote:
: There must be something missing in here. Tmpgenc joins mpegs, not

That's right.

: Avis. Do you mean you encoded 2 Avs scripts with Tmpgenc, but the
: results (which are mpegs) are not compatible? They should be, provided
: you used the same settings for both.

That's correct. 1 MPEG is 23.976fps and the other one is 29.976fps. So yes,
they are different. And there's no surprise TMPGenc can't join them. However,
it seems like a DVD Authoring program can.

--Leonid

Ken Maltby <kmaltby@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
: So if you can cut your wave at the right point....

That's the point.... is to chose the right point :) I plan on just loading
the first clip, then load wav file and author it on Hard Drive. Then load
..VOB file into VirtualDubMOD and separate the WAV from there to see the length.
Then will cut the original from that point.

> Ken Maltby <kmaltby@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> : So if you can cut your wave at the right point....
>
> That's the point.... is to chose the right point :) I plan on just loading
> the first clip, then load wav file and author it on Hard Drive. Then load
> .VOB file into VirtualDubMOD and separate the WAV from there to see the
> length.
> Then will cut the original from that point.
>
> --Leonid

You should be able to use the time (format 00:00:00;00)
to cut to cut the wav file. You can get this, in a second, by
clicking on the background of any menu and using the "Open
file" button to select your 1st MPEG/m2v. When you have
your file in the "Change picture" window the time display
will be on 00:00:00;00, just move the slider all the way to
the right and the time display will be the point in time from
the start that corresponds to the end of the video file. Then
just cancel out so you don't actually change anything in your
menu.

You want to cut the wav file at that point in time relative to
the start of the file. You want to use time marks, as video
frames and audio frames or the bit sizes are not measures
that will match up.

Luck;
Ken

Ken Maltby <kmaltby@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
: You should be able to use the time (format 00:00:00;00)
: to cut to cut the wav file. You can get this, in a second, by

I don't think I want to use time to do so. I'd rather do it by audio samples
in GoldWave. Audio samples give more accurate results.

I believe creating the VOB file will give the precise cutoff WAV file. At that
point I can separate original WAV file from the next sample up!

> Ken Maltby <kmaltby@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> : You should be able to use the time (format 00:00:00;00)
> : to cut to cut the wav file. You can get this, in a second, by
>

> I don't think I want to use time to do so. I'd rather do it by audio
> samples
> in GoldWave. Audio samples give more accurate results.
>
> I believe creating the VOB file will give the precise cutoff WAV file. At
> that
> point I can separate original WAV file from the next sample up!
>
> --Leonid

Well, good luck. If things go wrong VideoReDo has a
utility that lets you move the audio start point as much as
a second either way, within a muxed MPEG program
stream.

Luck;
Ken

(I cannot see every post, except at Google, thus my reply shall not
appear at the right place in the thread)

On 20 Nov 2004 21:46:01 GMT, Leonid Makarovsky <venom@cs.bu.edu>
wrote:

>1 MPEG is 23.976fps and the other one is 29.976fps. So yes,
>they are different. And there's no surprise TMPGenc can't join
>them. However, it seems like a DVD Authoring program can.

Wonder if the authoring program really joins them, or what. If it
really does, the following might work: make the DVD (without worrying
about the audio). Make a new project in Tmpgenc DVDAuthor, and import
the DVD (by clciking the corresponding button). The "wizard" shall ask
you wether you want to save the imported content to the harddrives.
Say yes (check the appropriate checkbox), and it shall create an .mpg
file. Then, you can add the audio to it.

Bariloche <bariloche@bariloche.com> wrote:
: Wonder if the authoring program really joins them, or what. If it
: really does, the following might work: make the DVD (without worrying
: about the audio). Make a new project in Tmpgenc DVDAuthor, and import
: the DVD (by clciking the corresponding button). The "wizard" shall ask
: you wether you want to save the imported content to the harddrives.
: Say yes (check the appropriate checkbox), and it shall create an .mpg
: file. Then, you can add the audio to it.

That was a good idea. Unfortunately I read it too late. Yes it joined them.
However, there were the following results:

PowerDVD dropped a few frames in the place of joining. Maintained the audio.
WinDVD didn't drop the frames, but paused an audio for a few split seconds.
Stand alone DVD player (Philips DVP642) behaved the same way as WinDVD.

--Leonid

Bariloche <bariloche@bariloche.com> wrote:
: Wonder if the authoring program really joins them, or what. If it
: really does, the following might work: make the DVD (without worrying
: about the audio). Make a new project in Tmpgenc DVDAuthor, and import
: the DVD (by clciking the corresponding button). The "wizard" shall ask
: you wether you want to save the imported content to the harddrives.
: Say yes (check the appropriate checkbox), and it shall create an .mpg
: file. Then, you can add the audio to it.

Hi Bariloche,

I tried your trick. I created temp DVD folder putting those files together.
Then I opened another project and added a DVD video from that folder.
Then I authorized it. During playback at the joint point it started to play
the audio file from the beginning rather than continue playing it.. :-(

But thanks anyway.

> Bariloche <bariloche@bariloche.com> wrote:
> : Wonder if the authoring program really joins them, or what. If it
> : really does, the following might work: make the DVD (without worrying
> : about the audio). Make a new project in Tmpgenc DVDAuthor, and import
> : the DVD (by clciking the corresponding button). The "wizard" shall ask
> : you wether you want to save the imported content to the harddrives.
> : Say yes (check the appropriate checkbox), and it shall create an .mpg
> : file. Then, you can add the audio to it.
>
> Hi Bariloche,
>
> I tried your trick. I created temp DVD folder putting those files
> together.
> Then I opened another project and added a DVD video from that folder.
> Then I authorized it. During playback at the joint point it started to
> play
> the audio file from the beginning rather than continue playing it.. :-(
>
> But thanks anyway.
>
> --Leonid

I think he meant that with the video "Joined" by TDA
you could use your original .wav file as the audio for the
one MPEG. It also sounded like he, like me, was not so
sure anything was "Joined" in TDA. If you still have the
temp folder that TDA made (not yours) when you added
the DVD video, check how many .mpg files are listed.
It would be this that you could demux into .m2v and
use your original .wav as audio for. This would only work
if there were the one .mpg that included both of your
video clips. Most likely there are two MPEG in that
folder (At least) and TDA has "Joined" them by writing
the navigation data so that they play one after the other.

Luck;
Ken

Ken Maltby <kmaltby@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
: I think he meant that with the video "Joined" by TDA
: you could use your original .wav file as the audio for the
: one MPEG. It also sounded like he, like me, was not so

Yeah. I forgot to mention that I added a DVD video (from temp folder) and
for the sound I chose the original WAV (not the splitted WAV).

: sure anything was "Joined" in TDA. If you still have the
: temp folder that TDA made (not yours) when you added

You mean the folder that TDA made: Volume1/VIDEO_TS?

: the DVD video, check how many .mpg files are listed.

And how would I check it?

: It would be this that you could demux into .m2v and
: use your original .wav as audio for. This would only work
: if there were the one .mpg that included both of your
: video clips. Most likely there are two MPEG in that
: folder (At least) and TDA has "Joined" them by writing
: the navigation data so that they play one after the other.

How do I check it? I'm a bit confused?

> Ken Maltby <kmaltby@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> : I think he meant that with the video "Joined" by TDA
> : you could use your original .wav file as the audio for the
> : one MPEG. It also sounded like he, like me, was not so
>
> Yeah. I forgot to mention that I added a DVD video (from temp folder) and
> for the sound I chose the original WAV (not the splitted WAV).
>
> : sure anything was "Joined" in TDA. If you still have the
> : temp folder that TDA made (not yours) when you added
>
> You mean the folder that TDA made: Volume1/VIDEO_TS?

NO, not that one. Whenever TDA does the "Add DVD video"
process it gives you the option to "Copy the clip video data to
the HDD". Below were you mark that checkbox is a box that
shows the "Copy destination folder". TDA will extract the
data your .vob files following the navigation data in your .ifo
files and build sequentially listed .mpg files in that "destination
folder". If you have not checked the "Reading chapter
information" box, it's possible that the one MPEG you (and
Bariloche) are looking for would have been created. The
temp folder I was referring to would be that "destination"
folder.

> : the DVD video, check how many .mpg files are listed.
>
> And how would I check it?
>
> : It would be this that you could demux into .m2v and
> : use your original .wav as audio for. This would only work
> : if there were the one .mpg that included both of your
> : video clips. Most likely there are two MPEG in that
> : folder (At least) and TDA has "Joined" them by writing
> : the navigation data so that they play one after the other.
>
> How do I check it? I'm a bit confused?
>
> --Leonid

Ken Maltby <kmaltby@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
: NO, not that one. Whenever TDA does the "Add DVD video"
: process it gives you the option to "Copy the clip video data to
: the HDD". Below were you mark that checkbox is a box that
: shows the "Copy destination folder". TDA will extract the
: data your .vob files following the navigation data in your .ifo
: files and build sequentially listed .mpg files in that "destination
: folder". If you have not checked the "Reading chapter
: information" box, it's possible that the one MPEG you (and
: Bariloche) are looking for would have been created. The
: temp folder I was referring to would be that "destination"
: folder.

I see. Thanks. BTW, I just tried this on another DVD player (APEX 703) and
the original joint point (that I created with just putting 2 m2v-s together in
TDA and splitting WAV files) turned out to be working fine. So I guess my WAV
cutting was correct. It's just that some DVD Players have to adjust going
from 24fps to 30fps.

--Leonid