connect laptop to desktop via wireless

August 6, 2004 10:38:06 AM

I want to be able to access the files and programs on my
desktop from the laptop via a wireless router. Both
machines using XP Home.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b F Wireless
August 6, 2004 2:46:06 PM

Ok you can share files like documents but no programs like word.
Goto Control Panel / Network and Internet Connections / Network Setup Wizard
.. Run the wizard then make the disk; run the disk on the second PC.
each PC shares the content of "Shared Documents" that is how you get files
back and forth. My suggestion is that you save all the files on the better
PC and will call that a "server". Considerations for "server assignment":
- HD capacity
- CPU speed
- Desktop vs. Laptop
- Hardwired vs. Wireless

"Andy" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I want to be able to access the files and programs on my
> desktop from the laptop via a wireless router. Both
> machines using XP Home.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b F Wireless
August 10, 2004 3:49:35 PM

You should upgrade your XP Home edition to XP Professional
and then install Internet Information Services (IIS).
When you have IIS installed, run the network wizard to
share files and folders on the laptop, and if you have
firewall software, make sure you configure the settings to
allow your private network to have access. It should be
something like 192.168.0.1 - 192.168.255.255 range. Hope
that helps.

Thai
a b D Laptop
a b F Wireless
August 10, 2004 6:15:53 PM

Why use IIS? Just setup File & Print Sharing on both XP Home PCs. Open "Help and Support" and search
on the string "file sharing" for a lot of help... If your running the new SP2, and you should as
soon as its publicly available, Windows Firewall also configure that for F&PS...

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/security/inter...

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> [...]
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b F Wireless
August 11, 2004 12:28:19 AM

Noooo!!!! Do not install IIS... It is unnecessary and is an added
security risk.

See http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp/fileshar... for
a better solution.

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com