connect laptop to desktop via wireless

I want to be able to access the files and programs on my
desktop from the laptop via a wireless router. Both
machines using XP Home.
4 answers Last reply
More about connect laptop desktop wireless

    Ok you can share files like documents but no programs like word.
    Goto Control Panel / Network and Internet Connections / Network Setup Wizard
    .. Run the wizard then make the disk; run the disk on the second PC.
    each PC shares the content of "Shared Documents" that is how you get files
    back and forth. My suggestion is that you save all the files on the better
    PC and will call that a "server". Considerations for "server assignment":
    - HD capacity
    - CPU speed
    - Desktop vs. Laptop
    - Hardwired vs. Wireless

    "Andy" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I want to be able to access the files and programs on my
    > desktop from the laptop via a wireless router. Both
    > machines using XP Home.

    You should upgrade your XP Home edition to XP Professional
    and then install Internet Information Services (IIS).
    When you have IIS installed, run the network wizard to
    share files and folders on the laptop, and if you have
    firewall software, make sure you configure the settings to
    allow your private network to have access. It should be
    something like 192.168.0.1 - 192.168.255.255 range. Hope
    that helps.

    Thai

    Why use IIS? Just setup File & Print Sharing on both XP Home PCs. Open "Help and Support" and search
    on the string "file sharing" for a lot of help... If your running the new SP2, and you should as
    soon as its publicly available, Windows Firewall also configure that for F&PS...

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/security/internet/sp2_wfintro.mspx

    --
    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> [...]

    Noooo!!!! Do not install IIS... It is unnecessary and is an added
    security risk.

    See http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp/filesharing.htm for
    a better solution.

    http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

    On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 11:49:35 -0700,

Laptops Wireless Connection Desktops Windows XP