CPU processing speed comparisons for .avi conversion to VCD

sparky

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2003

Does anyone have a fast machine like AMD 64 3800 or Intel 3400 that
they run TMPGEnc on to convert .avi to VCD? I am looking for the time
it takes to convert/process 1 hour of video. I download .avi (XVID)
TV shows and concert them to VCD and watch on a standalone DVD/TV.
Quality is watchable and not the issue. It takes my AMD 2100 about an
hour to convert what is really 38 minutes of .avi minus commercials.
I would like to speed the conversion process and am looking for info
to upgrade. Thanks.

If you capture the TV show as an MPEG and use womble's mpeg-vcr to remove
commercials, it would only take 3-4 minutes on my AMD 2500.

In article <qmdup0p9j6lgab14g3faov8c8ado7t4tqs@4ax.com>, 3@2.com says...
> Subject: CPU processing speed comparisons for .avi conversion to VCD
> From: Sparky <3@2.com>
> Newsgroups: rec.video.desktop
>
> Does anyone have a fast machine like AMD 64 3800 or Intel 3400 that
> they run TMPGEnc on to convert .avi to VCD? I am looking for the time
> it takes to convert/process 1 hour of video. I download .avi (XVID)
> TV shows and concert them to VCD and watch on a standalone DVD/TV.
> Quality is watchable and not the issue. It takes my AMD 2100 about an
> hour to convert what is really 38 minutes of .avi minus commercials.
> I would like to speed the conversion process and am looking for info
> to upgrade. Thanks.

It depends on a lot of factors but my AMD 3200+ does about 43 fps going
from Divx to Mpeg2 to make a DVD.
--
_________________________
http://www.ramsays-online.com

Ritz

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2004

Chris Phillipo wrote:
> In article <qmdup0p9j6lgab14g3faov8c8ado7t4tqs@4ax.com>, 3@2.com says...
>
>>Subject: CPU processing speed comparisons for .avi conversion to VCD
>>From: Sparky <3@2.com>
>>Newsgroups: rec.video.desktop
>>
>>Does anyone have a fast machine like AMD 64 3800 or Intel 3400 that
>>they run TMPGEnc on to convert .avi to VCD? I am looking for the time
>>it takes to convert/process 1 hour of video. I download .avi (XVID)
>>TV shows and concert them to VCD and watch on a standalone DVD/TV.
>>Quality is watchable and not the issue. It takes my AMD 2100 about an
>>hour to convert what is really 38 minutes of .avi minus commercials.
>>I would like to speed the conversion process and am looking for info
>>to upgrade. Thanks.
>>

> It depends on a lot of factors but my AMD 3200+ does about 43 fps going
> from Divx to Mpeg2 to make a DVD.

I get anywhere from 40-50fps on an Athlon64 3000+ (desktop) and an
Athlon64 3200+ (my laptop).

Cheers,