Can't VPN ?

August 8, 2004 8:38:28 PM

I recently redid my home laptop - Dell 8100 - with Windows XP Pro SP1 with
all updates

I originally set up VPN access to my office and it worked fine.

Somewhere along the line, I lost this ability (trying to get a wireless card
to work) and now I cannot inder any circumstances.(wireless or direct to
cable modem from Ethernet card)

I execute the VPN connection, it seems to connect and verify my user name
and password but when it gets to "registering your computer on the network",
it fails.

The error I am getting is "720 - a connection to the remote computer could
not be established..."

Obviously, there is no problem connecting - it is the "registering" part
that is failing

I have checked the server at the office and others are connecting with no
problems, nor is there any indication of a problem (or of even connecting)
with mine in any of the logs

Any ideas ?

Thanks in advance

JM

More about : vpn

Anonymous
August 9, 2004 1:10:30 PM

I can't help with your problem but do you mind if I ask a question? I can
connect to my computer with VPN from a friends computer, the connection icon
appears in the system tray, but I can't see my network. Should it be in
Network Places or does it appear differently from a normal cabled network?

Brian

"JIM MATTHEWS" <JMWEB@COMCAST.NET> wrote in message
news:o pMnRAZfEHA.3944@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> I recently redid my home laptop - Dell 8100 - with Windows XP Pro SP1 with
> all updates
>
> I originally set up VPN access to my office and it worked fine.
>
> Somewhere along the line, I lost this ability (trying to get a wireless
card
> to work) and now I cannot inder any circumstances.(wireless or direct to
> cable modem from Ethernet card)
>
> I execute the VPN connection, it seems to connect and verify my user name
> and password but when it gets to "registering your computer on the
network",
> it fails.
>
> The error I am getting is "720 - a connection to the remote computer could
> not be established..."
>
> Obviously, there is no problem connecting - it is the "registering" part
> that is failing
>
> I have checked the server at the office and others are connecting with no
> problems, nor is there any indication of a problem (or of even
connecting)
> with mine in any of the logs
>
> Any ideas ?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> JM

Anonymous
August 9, 2004 1:10:31 PM

It depends on the network you are connecting to..

Some require that you KNOW the shares, some allow you to "browse" - depemds
on "file and sharing" and permissions on shares and files

"Brian K" <iibntgyea4_ remove_this_@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:o vPZlzZfEHA.3556@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> I can't help with your problem but do you mind if I ask a question? I can
> connect to my computer with VPN from a friends computer, the connection
icon
> appears in the system tray, but I can't see my network. Should it be in
> Network Places or does it appear differently from a normal cabled network?
>
> Brian
>

> "JIM MATTHEWS" <JMWEB@COMCAST.NET> wrote in message
> news:o pMnRAZfEHA.3944@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> > I recently redid my home laptop - Dell 8100 - with Windows XP Pro SP1
with
> > all updates
> >
> > I originally set up VPN access to my office and it worked fine.
> >
> > Somewhere along the line, I lost this ability (trying to get a wireless
> card
> > to work) and now I cannot inder any circumstances.(wireless or direct to
> > cable modem from Ethernet card)
> >
> > I execute the VPN connection, it seems to connect and verify my user
name
> > and password but when it gets to "registering your computer on the
> network",
> > it fails.
> >
> > The error I am getting is "720 - a connection to the remote computer
could
> > not be established..."
> >
> > Obviously, there is no problem connecting - it is the "registering" part
> > that is failing
> >
> > I have checked the server at the office and others are connecting with
no
> > problems, nor is there any indication of a problem (or of even
> connecting)
> > with mine in any of the logs
> >
> > Any ideas ?
> >
> > Thanks in advance
> >
> > JM

August 9, 2004 1:10:32 PM

Quick clarification:

If you have access to a WINS server or DNS server, you will be able to
browse the LAN or look at Network Neighborhood regardless of whether
or not it is a LAN or VPN.

If you do not have access to a WINS or DNS server, you will be able to
browse the subnet over a LAN link, but not over a VPN link.

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

On Sun, 8 Aug 2004 20:05:17 -0500, "JIM MATTHEWS" <JMWEB@COMCAST.NET>
wrote:

>It depends on the network you are connecting to..
>
>Some require that you KNOW the shares, some allow you to "browse" - depemds
>on "file and sharing" and permissions on shares and files
>

>"Brian K" <iibntgyea4_ remove_this_@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>news:o vPZlzZfEHA.3556@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>> I can't help with your problem but do you mind if I ask a question? I can
>> connect to my computer with VPN from a friends computer, the connection
>icon
>> appears in the system tray, but I can't see my network. Should it be in
>> Network Places or does it appear differently from a normal cabled network?
>>
>> Brian
>>

>> "JIM MATTHEWS" <JMWEB@COMCAST.NET> wrote in message
>> news:o pMnRAZfEHA.3944@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>> > I recently redid my home laptop - Dell 8100 - with Windows XP Pro SP1
>with
>> > all updates
>> >
>> > I originally set up VPN access to my office and it worked fine.
>> >
>> > Somewhere along the line, I lost this ability (trying to get a wireless
>> card
>> > to work) and now I cannot inder any circumstances.(wireless or direct to
>> > cable modem from Ethernet card)
>> >
>> > I execute the VPN connection, it seems to connect and verify my user
>name
>> > and password but when it gets to "registering your computer on the
>> network",
>> > it fails.
>> >
>> > The error I am getting is "720 - a connection to the remote computer
>could
>> > not be established..."
>> >
>> > Obviously, there is no problem connecting - it is the "registering" part
>> > that is failing
>> >
>> > I have checked the server at the office and others are connecting with
>no
>> > problems, nor is there any indication of a problem (or of even
>> connecting)
>> > with mine in any of the logs
>> >
>> > Any ideas ?
>> >
>> > Thanks in advance
>> >
>> > JM

Anonymous
August 9, 2004 4:21:55 PM

I'm not quite clear what you mean by "server" in this situation. We just
have two desktops both with WinXP Pro.

Brian

"Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" <jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com> wrote
in message news:l8ldh01op4krnd106ltrnejc5dfchns39i@4ax.com...
> Quick clarification:
>
> If you have access to a WINS server or DNS server, you will be able to
> browse the LAN or look at Network Neighborhood regardless of whether
> or not it is a LAN or VPN.
>
> If you do not have access to a WINS or DNS server, you will be able to
> browse the subnet over a LAN link, but not over a VPN link.
>
> Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking & Smart Display MVP)

> On Sun, 8 Aug 2004 20:05:17 -0500, "JIM MATTHEWS" <JMWEB@COMCAST.NET>
> wrote:
>
> >It depends on the network you are connecting to..
> >
> >Some require that you KNOW the shares, some allow you to "browse" -
depemds
> >on "file and sharing" and permissions on shares and files
> >

> >"Brian K" <iibntgyea4_ remove_this_@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >news:o vPZlzZfEHA.3556@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> >> I can't help with your problem but do you mind if I ask a question? I
can
> >> connect to my computer with VPN from a friends computer, the connection
> >icon
> >> appears in the system tray, but I can't see my network. Should it be in
> >> Network Places or does it appear differently from a normal cabled
network?

> >> Brian
> >>

> >> "JIM MATTHEWS" <JMWEB@COMCAST.NET> wrote in message
> >> news:o pMnRAZfEHA.3944@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> >with

> >> card

> >name
> >> network",

> >could

> >no
> >> connecting)

Anonymous
August 9, 2004 4:21:56 PM

Brian:

If you are having trouble figuring out how to start your own thread, let me
know

I must repost now to get an answer to my issue.

JM

> I'm not quite clear what you mean by "server" in this situation. We just
> have two desktops both with WinXP Pro.
>
> Brian
>

> "Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" <jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com>
wrote
> in message news:l8ldh01op4krnd106ltrnejc5dfchns39i@4ax.com...
> > Quick clarification:
> >
> > If you have access to a WINS server or DNS server, you will be able to
> > browse the LAN or look at Network Neighborhood regardless of whether
> > or not it is a LAN or VPN.
> >
> > If you do not have access to a WINS or DNS server, you will be able to
> > browse the subnet over a LAN link, but not over a VPN link.
> >
> > Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking & Smart Display MVP)
> > jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com
> >
> > Please post all responses to the newsgroups for the benefit
> > of all USENET users. Messages sent via email may or may not
> > be answered depending on time availability....
> >
> > Remote Networking Technology Support Site -
> > http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
> > Windows XP Expert Zone - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
> >
> > On Sun, 8 Aug 2004 20:05:17 -0500, "JIM MATTHEWS" <JMWEB@COMCAST.NET>
> > wrote:
> >
> > >It depends on the network you are connecting to..
> > >
> > >Some require that you KNOW the shares, some allow you to "browse" -
> depemds
> > >on "file and sharing" and permissions on shares and files
> > >

> > >"Brian K" <iibntgyea4_ remove_this_@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > >news:o vPZlzZfEHA.3556@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> can
> > >icon
> network?

SP1
> > >with

> wireless

> > >name

> > >could

> part

> with
> > >no

Anonymous
August 10, 2004 12:06:28 AM

In this case, you do not have a DNS or WINS server, thus the second
paragraph applies...

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

On Mon, 9 Aug 2004 12:21:55 +1000, "Brian K" <iibntgyea4_
remove_this_@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I'm not quite clear what you mean by "server" in this situation. We just
>have two desktops both with WinXP Pro.
>
>Brian
>

>"Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" <jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com> wrote
>in message news:l8ldh01op4krnd106ltrnejc5dfchns39i@4ax.com...
>> Quick clarification:
>>
>> If you have access to a WINS server or DNS server, you will be able to
>> browse the LAN or look at Network Neighborhood regardless of whether
>> or not it is a LAN or VPN.
>>
>> If you do not have access to a WINS or DNS server, you will be able to
>> browse the subnet over a LAN link, but not over a VPN link.
>>
>> Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking & Smart Display MVP)
>> jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com
>>
>> Please post all responses to the newsgroups for the benefit
>> of all USENET users. Messages sent via email may or may not
>> be answered depending on time availability....
>>
>> Remote Networking Technology Support Site -
>> http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
>> Windows XP Expert Zone - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
>>
>> On Sun, 8 Aug 2004 20:05:17 -0500, "JIM MATTHEWS" <JMWEB@COMCAST.NET>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >It depends on the network you are connecting to..
>> >
>> >Some require that you KNOW the shares, some allow you to "browse" -
>depemds
>> >on "file and sharing" and permissions on shares and files
>> >

>> >"Brian K" <iibntgyea4_ remove_this_@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> >news:o vPZlzZfEHA.3556@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>can
>> >icon