Network to Network VPN

I have 2 problems that I am struggling with.
Firstly, a remote laptop running XP connects to net via
56K modem and VPN's (PTPP)to its server (XP Pro)which sits
behind a NAT router. Its connects very quickly but when I
try to open any shared files it is very very slow. Any
ideas???

Secondly
As before but the remote laptop connects to a home network
with DSL NAT router. This time it connects to VPN Server
but when trying to access shared files it does not connect
due to permissions. Again any ideas

Thanks

James

Hi James,

In the first case opening is slow. This might be because of the dail up
connection.

In the second case, explorer tries to open your share using the credentials
you used to VPN. The credentials you used to VPN should have permissions to
access the share. Share out the folders on your remote machine so that you
can access it via these credentials.

--
Thanks
Chetan

"James Bonnar" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have 2 problems that I am struggling with.
> Firstly, a remote laptop running XP connects to net via
> 56K modem and VPN's (PTPP)to its server (XP Pro)which sits
> behind a NAT router. Its connects very quickly but when I
> try to open any shared files it is very very slow. Any
> ideas???
>
> Secondly
> As before but the remote laptop connects to a home network
> with DSL NAT router. This time it connects to VPN Server
> but when trying to access shared files it does not connect
> due to permissions. Again any ideas
>
> Thanks
>
> James

Thanks Chetan

On the dial-up, the connection is good at about 44K which
is why I am confussed that it is very slow.

The 'credentials' of the remote machine, could you explain
further and how are they set?

Thanks

confers no rights.

wrote in message
>>I have 2 problems that I am struggling with.
>> Firstly, a remote laptop running XP connects to net via
>> 56K modem and VPN's (PTPP)to its server (XP Pro)which
sits
>> behind a NAT router. Its connects very quickly but when
>> try to open any shared files it is very very slow. Any
>> ideas???
>>
>> Secondly
>> As before but the remote laptop connects to a home
network
>> with DSL NAT router. This time it connects to VPN
Server
>> but when trying to access shared files it does not
connect
>> due to permissions. Again any ideas
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> James
>

>.

As an IT support person working with a large company of thousands of users,
even 44k is considered slow when trying to do anything like that over VPN.
The short answer is probably going to be that it is NOT going to be fast at
all...

If you aren't receiving any error messages trying to open it - then its
doing what it was meant to do...but you will not be happy with its speed at
all.