Remote desktop printing over VPN

I am using Remote Desktop to work on my office computer
from my home computer. I am running this over VPN Tunnel.
I have created a special VPN_Group in my PIX that will
allow me to have the same IP address every time I
connect. I also have an hp 4300 printer at home that I
want to be able to print to from my office computer. So I
shared the HP 4300 and I connected to my office computer
with Remote Desktop. I then installed the printer on my
office computer and sent a test page with no problem.

I know what you are thinking! Why didn't he just edit the
Remote Desktop connection, click on the Local Resources
Tab and select printers? Well I tried that but it never
added my printer so I decided to just install it as a
network printer. If I could fix this part I would't need
the next part.

So now for the hard part!

On my office computer I have a cannon printer as my
default printer and I now have my HP 4300 as a secondary
printer. I would like to somehow make my HP 4300 the
default as soon as I connect using Remote Desktop. Is
there any way to make this happen?
7 answers Last reply
More about remote desktop printing

    Since you added the printer manually have you tried
    clicking the Local Printer option in the Remote Desktop
    settings? Now that you have added it remotely maybe it
    will recognize it when you connect, and by default with
    that Printer option checked in the remote desktop settings
    it makes your local printer the default printer while you
    are logged on.

    I like anonymous' suggestion. If the driver wasn't available when you first
    tried this, and is now, it may just work.

    OTOH, do a google search for an MSKB article using the keys DOT4 and XP and
    RDP.

    I'm unclear whether the regedit in this article will allow networked
    printers to be redirected or not. Can you try it out (you must reboot after
    making the registry change) and let us know?

    "chad" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am using Remote Desktop to work on my office computer
    > from my home computer. I am running this over VPN Tunnel.
    > I have created a special VPN_Group in my PIX that will
    > allow me to have the same IP address every time I
    > connect. I also have an hp 4300 printer at home that I
    > want to be able to print to from my office computer. So I
    > shared the HP 4300 and I connected to my office computer
    > with Remote Desktop. I then installed the printer on my
    > office computer and sent a test page with no problem.
    >
    > I know what you are thinking! Why didn't he just edit the
    > Remote Desktop connection, click on the Local Resources
    > Tab and select printers? Well I tried that but it never
    > added my printer so I decided to just install it as a
    > network printer. If I could fix this part I would't need
    > the next part.
    >
    > So now for the hard part!
    >
    > On my office computer I have a cannon printer as my
    > default printer and I now have my HP 4300 as a secondary
    > printer. I would like to somehow make my HP 4300 the
    > default as soon as I connect using Remote Desktop. Is
    > there any way to make this happen?

    I changed the reg as shown in Microsoft Knowledge Base
    Article - 302361 but still no luck

    Sorry to hear that.

    I do see peer-to-peer shared printers redirected, but I haven't tested from
    a location with a direct IP-connected printer to see what works or doesn't.

    I don't think I know of any way to do your original request via simple batch
    scripts. I would think that resetting the default printer would be within
    the grasp of Windows Scripting Host, but don't know how to get that
    information--you might try a newsgroup devoted to scripting. Once you have
    a script, you could set a button on the desktop to do it manually (by visual
    prompt) when you connect, or you may be able to figure out a way to set it
    to execute as you connect and disconnect.

    >I changed the reg as shown in Microsoft Knowledge Base
    > Article - 302361 but still no luck

    It is my experience that printer redirection is a hit or miss affair. It may
    depend on whether your remote computer is behind a firewall or not, and it
    may depend on the printer driver manufacturere. Generally speaking, I have
    heard that a great number of printer synchronization issues are resolved when
    the server is updated to Windows Server 2003 so that none of the registry
    hacking has to be done.

    "Bill Sanderson" wrote:

    > Sorry to hear that.
    >
    > I do see peer-to-peer shared printers redirected, but I haven't tested from
    > a location with a direct IP-connected printer to see what works or doesn't.
    >
    > I don't think I know of any way to do your original request via simple batch
    > scripts. I would think that resetting the default printer would be within
    > the grasp of Windows Scripting Host, but don't know how to get that
    > information--you might try a newsgroup devoted to scripting. Once you have
    > a script, you could set a button on the desktop to do it manually (by visual
    > prompt) when you connect, or you may be able to figure out a way to set it
    > to execute as you connect and disconnect.
    >
    > "chad" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I changed the reg as shown in Microsoft Knowledge Base
    > > Article - 302361 but still no luck

    I don't think it is too arcane, and I don't believe updating the host to
    Server 2003 changes which port types are redirected at the client end, which
    is the issue here, I think.

    However, I have heard folks say that it started working when they updated
    printer drivers at the client end, which is confusing. I suspect this means
    that the driver description string then matched the one available at the
    host, so it all worked. The unmatching situation should be diagnosable via
    System event log messages at the host, but not many folks know to look for
    those.

    "Ralph Howarth" <Ralph Howarth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > It is my experience that printer redirection is a hit or miss affair. It
    > may
    > depend on whether your remote computer is behind a firewall or not, and it
    > may depend on the printer driver manufacturere. Generally speaking, I
    > have
    > heard that a great number of printer synchronization issues are resolved
    > when
    > the server is updated to Windows Server 2003 so that none of the registry
    > hacking has to be done.
    >
    > "Bill Sanderson" wrote:
    >
    >> Sorry to hear that.
    >>
    >> I do see peer-to-peer shared printers redirected, but I haven't tested
    >> from
    >> a location with a direct IP-connected printer to see what works or
    >> doesn't.
    >>
    >> I don't think I know of any way to do your original request via simple
    >> batch
    >> scripts. I would think that resetting the default printer would be
    >> within
    >> the grasp of Windows Scripting Host, but don't know how to get that
    >> information--you might try a newsgroup devoted to scripting. Once you
    >> have
    >> a script, you could set a button on the desktop to do it manually (by
    >> visual
    >> prompt) when you connect, or you may be able to figure out a way to set
    >> it
    >> to execute as you connect and disconnect.
    >>
    >> "chad" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I changed the reg as shown in Microsoft Knowledge Base
    >> > Article - 302361 but still no luck

    Good point. It can be both ways: server driver update and client driver
    update. I did have to install the driver for my home printer on to the
    server. In any case, you are right that the driver installation has to be
    "equal" on both the client and the server.

    "Bill Sanderson" wrote:

    > I don't think it is too arcane, and I don't believe updating the host to
    > Server 2003 changes which port types are redirected at the client end, which
    > is the issue here, I think.
    >
    > However, I have heard folks say that it started working when they updated
    > printer drivers at the client end, which is confusing. I suspect this means
    > that the driver description string then matched the one available at the
    > host, so it all worked. The unmatching situation should be diagnosable via
    > System event log messages at the host, but not many folks know to look for
    > those.
    >

    > "Ralph Howarth" <Ralph Howarth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > It is my experience that printer redirection is a hit or miss affair. It
    > > may
    > > depend on whether your remote computer is behind a firewall or not, and it
    > > may depend on the printer driver manufacturere. Generally speaking, I
    > > have
    > > heard that a great number of printer synchronization issues are resolved
    > > when
    > > the server is updated to Windows Server 2003 so that none of the registry
    > > hacking has to be done.
    > >
    > > "Bill Sanderson" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Sorry to hear that.
    > >>
    > >> I do see peer-to-peer shared printers redirected, but I haven't tested
    > >> from
    > >> a location with a direct IP-connected printer to see what works or
    > >> doesn't.
    > >>
    > >> I don't think I know of any way to do your original request via simple
    > >> batch
    > >> scripts. I would think that resetting the default printer would be
    > >> within
    > >> the grasp of Windows Scripting Host, but don't know how to get that
    > >> information--you might try a newsgroup devoted to scripting. Once you
    > >> have
    > >> a script, you could set a button on the desktop to do it manually (by
    > >> visual
    > >> prompt) when you connect, or you may be able to figure out a way to set
    > >> it
    > >> to execute as you connect and disconnect.
    > >>
    > >> "chad" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Remote Desktop Computers Hewlett Packard Office Printers Windows XP