VPN error

I recently redid my home laptop - Dell 8100 - with Windows XP Pro SP1 with
all updates.

I originally set up VPN access to my office and it worked fine.

Somewhere along the line, I lost this ability (trying to get a wireless card
to work, and downloading all the latest from Windows Update, including
Advanced Netwrorking Update) and now I cannot connect under any
circumstances.(wireless or direct to cable modem from Ethernet card)

I execute the VPN connection, it seems to connect and verify my user name
and password but when it gets to "registering your computer on the network",
it fails.

The error I am getting is "720 - a connection to the remote computer could
not be established..."

Obviously, there is no problem connecting - it is the "registering" part
that is failing

I have checked the server at the office and others are connecting with no
problems, nor is there any indication of a problem (or of even connecting)
with mine in any of the logs

I tried removing the Advanced Networking update and removing the Wireless
Connection manager provided with the wireless card to no avail.

Any ideas ?

Thanks in advance

JM
2 answers Last reply
More about error

    Can you paste the PPP.log trace log when this repros? You can refer to
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/guidance/secmod192.mspx for
    knowing how to enable, disable and collect trace data.

    You can use * (star) instead of word for the commands. Rest remain the
    same.

    for e.g, netsh ras set tracing * enable.

    --
    Thanks
    Chetan

    "Jim Matthews" <jmweb@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >I recently redid my home laptop - Dell 8100 - with Windows XP Pro SP1 with
    > all updates.
    >
    > I originally set up VPN access to my office and it worked fine.
    >
    > Somewhere along the line, I lost this ability (trying to get a wireless
    > card
    > to work, and downloading all the latest from Windows Update, including
    > Advanced Netwrorking Update) and now I cannot connect under any
    > circumstances.(wireless or direct to cable modem from Ethernet card)
    >
    > I execute the VPN connection, it seems to connect and verify my user name
    > and password but when it gets to "registering your computer on the
    > network",
    > it fails.
    >
    > The error I am getting is "720 - a connection to the remote computer could
    > not be established..."
    >
    > Obviously, there is no problem connecting - it is the "registering" part
    > that is failing
    >
    > I have checked the server at the office and others are connecting with no
    > problems, nor is there any indication of a problem (or of even
    > connecting)
    > with mine in any of the logs
    >
    > I tried removing the Advanced Networking update and removing the Wireless
    > Connection manager provided with the wireless card to no avail.
    >
    > Any ideas ?
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > JM

    Is it error 720 or 721?

    Error 720: No PPP control protocols configured.

    Error 721: Remote PPP peer is not responding

    Thanks,
    Sharoon

    "Jim Matthews" <jmweb@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > I recently redid my home laptop - Dell 8100 - with Windows XP Pro SP1 with
    > all updates.
    >
    > I originally set up VPN access to my office and it worked fine.
    >
    > Somewhere along the line, I lost this ability (trying to get a wireless
    card
    > to work, and downloading all the latest from Windows Update, including
    > Advanced Netwrorking Update) and now I cannot connect under any
    > circumstances.(wireless or direct to cable modem from Ethernet card)
    >
    > I execute the VPN connection, it seems to connect and verify my user name
    > and password but when it gets to "registering your computer on the
    network",
    > it fails.
    >
    > The error I am getting is "720 - a connection to the remote computer could
    > not be established..."
    >
    > Obviously, there is no problem connecting - it is the "registering" part
    > that is failing
    >
    > I have checked the server at the office and others are connecting with no
    > problems, nor is there any indication of a problem (or of even
    connecting)
    > with mine in any of the logs
    >
    > I tried removing the Advanced Networking update and removing the Wireless
    > Connection manager provided with the wireless card to no avail.
    >
    > Any ideas ?
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > JM

Connection VPN Windows XP