How to load a custom map?

Jim

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life.counterstrike,alt.games.half-life.editing,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

I am working on a custom CS map, but now that I installed Steam I can't
tell where to put my own map files, nor the WADs.
Can anyone tell me please?

Thanks in advance,

Jim

--
plage à vendre au Mexique ici:
http://sunnylandbaja.jdlprod.com

Jim wrote:
> I am working on a custom CS map, but now that I installed Steam I
> can't tell where to put my own map files, nor the WADs.
> Can anyone tell me please?

Same place as always
....\half-life\cstrike\maps

wads goes to the mod root folder

- Peter

"Peter Lykkegaard" <polonline@hotmail.dk> wrote in message
> Jim wrote:
> > I am working on a custom CS map, but now that I installed Steam I
> > can't tell where to put my own map files, nor the WADs.
> > Can anyone tell me please?
> >
> Same place as always
> ...\half-life\cstrike\maps

or to be more accurate

<Drive>:\Program Files (if default path
used)\steam\steamapps\(youremailhere)\counter-strike\cstrike\maps

and wads go in

Andy, just Andy wrote:
> "Peter Lykkegaard" wrote in message
>> Jim wrote:
>>> I am working on a custom CS map, but now that I installed Steam I
>>> can't tell where to put my own map files, nor the WADs.
>>> Can anyone tell me please?
>>>
>> Same place as always
>> ...\half-life\cstrike\maps
>
> or to be more accurate
>
> <Drive>:\Program Files (if default path
> used)\steam\steamapps\(youremailhere)\counter-strike\cstrike\maps

Hmm, currently the default is c:\valve for steam
And I have a cstrike folder in

...\steamapps\(youremailhere)\half-life\
...\steamapps\(youremailhere)\counter-strike\
...\steamapps\(youremailhere)\condition zero\

Which one to choose?
I was asumming the mod version, not one of the retail versions
Or whatever the cstrike is in the cz folder

And btw the c:\valve could indicate that Valve will be the publisher of HL2
But well, you know, speculations...

;-) Peter

Peter Lykkegaard wrote:

> Hmm, currently the default is c:\valve for steam

Weird? The default when I installed it was C:\Steam

--
Ben Cottrell AKA Bench

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as
kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills
and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristian Wilson,
Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Andy, just Andy wrote:

>>Or whatever the cstrike is in the cz folder
>

> That would be further proof that we paid for a bot and some prettier
> maps

Yes, but having played the bots in the Steam beta version, the bots
alone are worth the money :)

--

Ben Cottrell wrote:
> Peter Lykkegaard wrote:
>
>> Hmm, currently the default is c:\valve for steam
>
> Weird? The default when I installed it was C:\Steam

LOL it changes a bit over time
I got the path at the steampowered forums

- Peter

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life.counterstrike,alt.games.half-life.editing,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"Ben Cottrell" wrote

> Yes, but having played the bots in the Steam beta version, the bots
> alone are worth the money :)

The bots are not bad and the maps are rather pretty
For a true HL lunatic it's worth the buy for the maps alone :)

- Peter

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life.counterstrike,alt.games.half-life.editing,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"Andy, just Andy" wrote

> He said he was making CS maps so under steam that would go in
> ..\steamapps\(youremailhere)\counter-strike\
>
> From what I understand from 1.6 onwards there is no difference between
> mod and retail

Neither in CS 1.5 afaik
Hmm maybe the ..\half-life\cstrike is of no use in steam
Thanks for the update :)

- Peter

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life,alt.games.half-life.counterstrike (More info?)

Just a side note -
You can embed the textures in the map .bsp file, that way you don't have to
worry about making a new .wad texture file for each map you make. It also
saves a couple seconds each time you load up the map or somebody downloads
it from you.

For instructions, go here :
http://collective.valve-erc.com/index.php?doc=1015283010-58181000

Glad to help;
<BCA> LEI 10 SEA

Damien McBain wrote:

> Get the NextWish gun name fix patch from www.nextwish.org

Thanks :)

Unfortunately, it looks like Nextwish had a hard-drive failure..
whether that's related or not, I don't know, but for some reason the
actual patch doesn't exist to download off their server :-/

I'll see if Google has any ideas.

--

Peter Lykkegaard wrote:
> Andy, just Andy wrote:
>> "Peter Lykkegaard" wrote in message
>>>>
>>> Same place as always
>>> ...\half-life\cstrike\maps
>>
>> or to be more accurate
>>
>> <Drive>:\Program Files (if default path
>> used)\steam\steamapps\(youremailhere)\counter-strike\cstrike\maps
>>
> Hmm, currently the default is c:\valve for steam
> And I have a cstrike folder in
>
> ..\steamapps\(youremailhere)\half-life\
> ..\steamapps\(youremailhere)\counter-strike\
> ..\steamapps\(youremailhere)\condition zero\
>
> Which one to choose?
> I was asumming the mod version, not one of the retail versions
> Or whatever the cstrike is in the cz folder
>
> And btw the c:\valve could indicate that Valve will be the publisher
> of HL2 But well, you know, speculations...
>
> ;-) Peter

do what Andy said

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life.counterstrike,alt.games.half-life.editing,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

Ben Cottrell <bench@bench333.screaming.net> expounded in

> Damien McBain wrote:
>
>> Get the NextWish gun name fix patch from www.nextwish.org
>
> Thanks :)
>
> Unfortunately, it looks like Nextwish had a hard-drive failure..
> whether that's related or not, I don't know, but for some reason the
> actual patch doesn't exist to download off their server :-/
>
> I'll see if Google has any ideas.

If you haven't already found it, try:
http://public.planetmirror.com/pub/nextwish/gamefixes/nwcsnamefix-15.0.exe

FWIW, I found that by trying to d/l the file from www.nextwish.org . It
said the file wasn't there, but gave me the file name (nwcsnamefix-
15.0.exe). A search on Google for that file name turned up the Planet
Mirror URL. They also list a few other related files at
http://public.planetmirror.com/pub/nextwish/gamefixes/ , but nwcsnamefix-
15.0.exe is presumably the one you need (I don't have retail CS, so I can't
actually test it).

James

Ben Cottrell wrote:
> Damien McBain wrote:
>
>> Get the NextWish gun name fix patch from www.nextwish.org
>
> Thanks :)
>
> Unfortunately, it looks like Nextwish had a hard-drive failure..
> whether that's related or not, I don't know, but for some reason the
> actual patch doesn't exist to download off their server :-/
>
> I'll see if Google has any ideas.

I can e-amil it to you if you want, it's only 94k. I can send you nwscript
(which adds menuitems to your in-game key bindings) and the c4 timer as well
if you want.

e-mail me at aghlcs@themadbomber.net if you want me to send it to you.

Damo

James J wrote:
> Ben Cottrell <bench@bench333.screaming.net> expounded in
>
>> Damien McBain wrote:
>>
>>> Get the NextWish gun name fix patch from www.nextwish.org
>>
>> Thanks :)
>>
>> Unfortunately, it looks like Nextwish had a hard-drive failure..
>> whether that's related or not, I don't know, but for some reason the
>> actual patch doesn't exist to download off their server :-/
>>
>> I'll see if Google has any ideas.
>

> If you haven't already found it, try:
> http://public.planetmirror.com/pub/nextwish/gamefixes/nwcsnamefix-15.0.exe
>
> FWIW, I found that by trying to d/l the file from www.nextwish.org .
> It said the file wasn't there, but gave me the file name (nwcsnamefix-
> 15.0.exe). A search on Google for that file name turned up the Planet
> Mirror URL. They also list a few other related files at
> http://public.planetmirror.com/pub/nextwish/gamefixes/ , but
> nwcsnamefix-
> 15.0.exe is presumably the one you need (I don't have retail CS, so I
> can't actually test it).
>
> James

You actually need nwcsnamefix-16.0.exe if you want to use it with 1.6

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life.counterstrike,alt.games.half-life.editing,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"Damien McBain" <ask.me@for.it> expounded in

> James J wrote:
>> Ben Cottrell <bench@bench333.screaming.net> expounded in

>>> Thanks :)
>>>
>>> Unfortunately, it looks like Nextwish had a hard-drive failure..
>>> whether that's related or not, I don't know, but for some reason
>>> the actual patch doesn't exist to download off their server :-/
>>>
>>> I'll see if Google has any ideas.
>>

>> If you haven't already found it, try:
>> http://public.planetmirror.com/pub/nextwish/gamefixes/nwcsnamefix-15.0
>> .exe
>>
>> FWIW, I found that by trying to d/l the file from www.nextwish.org .
>> It said the file wasn't there, but gave me the file name
>> (nwcsnamefix- 15.0.exe). A search on Google for that file name
>> turned up the Planet Mirror URL. They also list a few other related
>> files at http://public.planetmirror.com/pub/nextwish/gamefixes/ , but
>> nwcsnamefix-
>> 15.0.exe is presumably the one you need (I don't have retail CS, so I
>> can't actually test it).
>>
>> James
>
> You actually need nwcsnamefix-16.0.exe if you want to use it with 1.6

Ah. Thanks for the correction. But if there's a 16, why does the link on
www.nextwish.org point to 15? I didn't see anything there about different
versions.

James