How to load a custom map?

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life.counterstrike,alt.games.half-life.editing,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

I am working on a custom CS map, but now that I installed Steam I can't
tell where to put my own map files, nor the WADs.
Can anyone tell me please?

Thanks in advance,

Jim

--
plage à vendre au Mexique ici:
http://sunnylandbaja.jdlprod.com

    Jim wrote:
    > I am working on a custom CS map, but now that I installed Steam I
    > can't tell where to put my own map files, nor the WADs.
    > Can anyone tell me please?

    Same place as always
    ....\half-life\cstrike\maps

    wads goes to the mod root folder

    - Peter
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life.counterstrike,alt.games.half-life.editing,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    "Peter Lykkegaard" <polonline@hotmail.dk> wrote in message
    > Jim wrote:
    > > I am working on a custom CS map, but now that I installed Steam I
    > > can't tell where to put my own map files, nor the WADs.
    > > Can anyone tell me please?
    > >
    > Same place as always
    > ...\half-life\cstrike\maps

    or to be more accurate

    <Drive>:\Program Files (if default path
    used)\steam\steamapps\(youremailhere)\counter-strike\cstrike\maps

    and wads go in

    <Drive>:\Program Files (if default path
    used)\steam\steamapps\(youremailhere)\counter-strike\cstrike\
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life.counterstrike,alt.games.half-life.editing,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    Andy, just Andy wrote:
    > "Peter Lykkegaard" wrote in message
    >> Jim wrote:
    >>> I am working on a custom CS map, but now that I installed Steam I
    >>> can't tell where to put my own map files, nor the WADs.
    >>> Can anyone tell me please?
    >>>
    >> Same place as always
    >> ...\half-life\cstrike\maps
    >
    > or to be more accurate
    >
    > <Drive>:\Program Files (if default path
    > used)\steam\steamapps\(youremailhere)\counter-strike\cstrike\maps

    Hmm, currently the default is c:\valve for steam
    And I have a cstrike folder in

    ...\steamapps\(youremailhere)\half-life\
    ...\steamapps\(youremailhere)\counter-strike\
    ...\steamapps\(youremailhere)\condition zero\

    Which one to choose?
    I was asumming the mod version, not one of the retail versions
    Or whatever the cstrike is in the cz folder

    And btw the c:\valve could indicate that Valve will be the publisher of HL2
    But well, you know, speculations...

    ;-) Peter
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life.counterstrike,alt.games.half-life.editing,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    Peter Lykkegaard wrote:

    > Hmm, currently the default is c:\valve for steam

    Weird? The default when I installed it was C:\Steam

    --
    Ben Cottrell AKA Bench

    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as
    kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills
    and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristian Wilson,
    Nintendo, Inc, 1989
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life.counterstrike,alt.games.half-life.editing,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    Andy, just Andy wrote:

    >>Or whatever the cstrike is in the cz folder
    >

    > That would be further proof that we paid for a bot and some prettier
    > maps

    Yes, but having played the bots in the Steam beta version, the bots
    alone are worth the money :)

    --
    Ben Cottrell AKA Bench

    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as
    kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills
    and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristian Wilson,
    Nintendo, Inc, 1989
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life.counterstrike,alt.games.half-life.editing,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    Ben Cottrell wrote:
    > Peter Lykkegaard wrote:
    >
    >> Hmm, currently the default is c:\valve for steam
    >
    > Weird? The default when I installed it was C:\Steam

    LOL it changes a bit over time
    I got the path at the steampowered forums

    - Peter
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life.counterstrike,alt.games.half-life.editing,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    "Ben Cottrell" wrote

    > Yes, but having played the bots in the Steam beta version, the bots
    > alone are worth the money :)

    The bots are not bad and the maps are rather pretty
    For a true HL lunatic it's worth the buy for the maps alone :-)

    - Peter
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life.counterstrike,alt.games.half-life.editing,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    "Andy, just Andy" wrote

    > He said he was making CS maps so under steam that would go in
    > ..\steamapps\(youremailhere)\counter-strike\
    >
    > From what I understand from 1.6 onwards there is no difference between
    > mod and retail

    Neither in CS 1.5 afaik
    Hmm maybe the ..\half-life\cstrike is of no use in steam
    Thanks for the update :-)

    - Peter
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life,alt.games.half-life.counterstrike (More info?)

    Just a side note -
    You can embed the textures in the map .bsp file, that way you don't have to
    worry about making a new .wad texture file for each map you make. It also
    saves a couple seconds each time you load up the map or somebody downloads
    it from you.

    For instructions, go here :
    http://collective.valve-erc.com/index.php?doc=1015283010-58181000

    Glad to help;
    <BCA> LEI 10 SEA

    "Peter Lykkegaard" <polonline@hotmail.dk> wrote in message
    > Jim wrote:
    > > I am working on a custom CS map, but now that I installed Steam I
    > > can't tell where to put my own map files, nor the WADs.
    > > Can anyone tell me please?
    > >
    > Same place as always
    > ...\half-life\cstrike\maps
    >
    > wads goes to the mod root folder
    >
    > - Peter

  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life.counterstrike,alt.games.half-life.editing,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    Damien McBain wrote:

    > Get the NextWish gun name fix patch from www.nextwish.org

    Thanks :)

    Unfortunately, it looks like Nextwish had a hard-drive failure..
    whether that's related or not, I don't know, but for some reason the
    actual patch doesn't exist to download off their server :-/

    I'll see if Google has any ideas.

    --
    Ben Cottrell AKA Bench

    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as
    kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills
    and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristian Wilson,
    Nintendo, Inc, 1989
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life.counterstrike,alt.games.half-life.editing,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    Peter Lykkegaard wrote:
    > Andy, just Andy wrote:
    >> "Peter Lykkegaard" wrote in message
    >>>>
    >>> Same place as always
    >>> ...\half-life\cstrike\maps
    >>
    >> or to be more accurate
    >>
    >> <Drive>:\Program Files (if default path
    >> used)\steam\steamapps\(youremailhere)\counter-strike\cstrike\maps
    >>
    > Hmm, currently the default is c:\valve for steam
    > And I have a cstrike folder in
    >
    > ..\steamapps\(youremailhere)\half-life\
    > ..\steamapps\(youremailhere)\counter-strike\
    > ..\steamapps\(youremailhere)\condition zero\
    >
    > Which one to choose?
    > I was asumming the mod version, not one of the retail versions
    > Or whatever the cstrike is in the cz folder
    >
    > And btw the c:\valve could indicate that Valve will be the publisher
    > of HL2 But well, you know, speculations...
    >
    > ;-) Peter

    do what Andy said
  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life.counterstrike,alt.games.half-life.editing,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    Ben Cottrell <bench@bench333.screaming.net> expounded in

    > Damien McBain wrote:
    >
    >> Get the NextWish gun name fix patch from www.nextwish.org
    >
    > Thanks :)
    >
    > Unfortunately, it looks like Nextwish had a hard-drive failure..
    > whether that's related or not, I don't know, but for some reason the
    > actual patch doesn't exist to download off their server :-/
    >
    > I'll see if Google has any ideas.

    If you haven't already found it, try:
    http://public.planetmirror.com/pub/nextwish/gamefixes/nwcsnamefix-15.0.exe

    FWIW, I found that by trying to d/l the file from www.nextwish.org . It
    said the file wasn't there, but gave me the file name (nwcsnamefix-
    15.0.exe). A search on Google for that file name turned up the Planet
    Mirror URL. They also list a few other related files at
    http://public.planetmirror.com/pub/nextwish/gamefixes/ , but nwcsnamefix-
    15.0.exe is presumably the one you need (I don't have retail CS, so I can't
    actually test it).

    James
  13. Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life.counterstrike,alt.games.half-life.editing,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    Ben Cottrell wrote:
    > Damien McBain wrote:
    >
    >> Get the NextWish gun name fix patch from www.nextwish.org
    >
    > Thanks :)
    >
    > Unfortunately, it looks like Nextwish had a hard-drive failure..
    > whether that's related or not, I don't know, but for some reason the
    > actual patch doesn't exist to download off their server :-/
    >
    > I'll see if Google has any ideas.

    I can e-amil it to you if you want, it's only 94k. I can send you nwscript
    (which adds menuitems to your in-game key bindings) and the c4 timer as well
    if you want.

    e-mail me at aghlcs@themadbomber.net if you want me to send it to you.

    Damo
  14. Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life.counterstrike,alt.games.half-life.editing,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    James J wrote:
    > Ben Cottrell <bench@bench333.screaming.net> expounded in
    >
    >> Damien McBain wrote:
    >>
    >>> Get the NextWish gun name fix patch from www.nextwish.org
    >>
    >> Thanks :)
    >>
    >> Unfortunately, it looks like Nextwish had a hard-drive failure..
    >> whether that's related or not, I don't know, but for some reason the
    >> actual patch doesn't exist to download off their server :-/
    >>
    >> I'll see if Google has any ideas.
    >

    > If you haven't already found it, try:
    > http://public.planetmirror.com/pub/nextwish/gamefixes/nwcsnamefix-15.0.exe
    >
    > FWIW, I found that by trying to d/l the file from www.nextwish.org .
    > It said the file wasn't there, but gave me the file name (nwcsnamefix-
    > 15.0.exe). A search on Google for that file name turned up the Planet
    > Mirror URL. They also list a few other related files at
    > http://public.planetmirror.com/pub/nextwish/gamefixes/ , but
    > nwcsnamefix-
    > 15.0.exe is presumably the one you need (I don't have retail CS, so I
    > can't actually test it).
    >
    > James

    You actually need nwcsnamefix-16.0.exe if you want to use it with 1.6
  15. Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life.counterstrike,alt.games.half-life.editing,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    "Damien McBain" <ask.me@for.it> expounded in

    > James J wrote:
    >> Ben Cottrell <bench@bench333.screaming.net> expounded in

    >>> Thanks :)
    >>>
    >>> Unfortunately, it looks like Nextwish had a hard-drive failure..
    >>> whether that's related or not, I don't know, but for some reason
    >>> the actual patch doesn't exist to download off their server :-/
    >>>
    >>> I'll see if Google has any ideas.
    >>

    >> If you haven't already found it, try:
    >> http://public.planetmirror.com/pub/nextwish/gamefixes/nwcsnamefix-15.0
    >> .exe
    >>
    >> FWIW, I found that by trying to d/l the file from www.nextwish.org .
    >> It said the file wasn't there, but gave me the file name
    >> (nwcsnamefix- 15.0.exe). A search on Google for that file name
    >> turned up the Planet Mirror URL. They also list a few other related
    >> files at http://public.planetmirror.com/pub/nextwish/gamefixes/ , but
    >> nwcsnamefix-
    >> 15.0.exe is presumably the one you need (I don't have retail CS, so I
    >> can't actually test it).
    >>
    >> James
    >
    > You actually need nwcsnamefix-16.0.exe if you want to use it with 1.6

    Ah. Thanks for the correction. But if there's a 16, why does the link on
    www.nextwish.org point to 15? I didn't see anything there about different
    versions.

    James

Games Steam Video Games