How to connect to internet with xp 32bit when dual booting windows 7 64bit

mcstud

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2011
Hello, achieved dual booting of Windows 7 Ulitmate 64bit with XP Home 32bit. However, I can not connect to internet with XP, because of network card adapter issues. What should I do?

arges86

Distinguished
Sounds like you need the drivers for the network card.
Either try the CD it came w/ or download them when booted into Win7

I'm sure you've heard this before, but i wouldn't even bother w/ XP anymore. Is there any specific hardware that you need to use that only works on XP?
Other than that Win7 should be your only windows OS

mcstud

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2011

How do I install the xp driver? Will it cause the Windows 7 64bit driver to malfunction? I installed Ultimate 64bit on a older computer running xp professional 64bit. Then installed xp 32bit home edition. After booting into xp, I am unable to access internet. Diagnostics does not recognize any network card adapter? In the past, I have removed 7 and tried installing xp exclusively, but still no internet access. Is it possible to install the proper network driver for xp home edition 32 bit while running windows 7? Also, if I were to get a xp pro 64bit setup disk, install, and dual boot, do you think this would solve the problem? Incidentally, thank you for your incredibly prompt reply!

mcstud

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2011

There is only one reason I want to dual boot. Customization. 7 seems to be so one dimentional in this area. I really enjoy all the different themes available for xp. I get bored with one OS. I failed to mention that I have Ubuntu 10.10 installed as well. Did this with the windows installer, wubi. Don't care for grub or partioning for that matter. If this issue can be resolved by downloading the proper network card drivers for xp without effecting my 7 install, where do I download them? Thank you in advance!

The two operating systems function completely independently of each other, so can install the XP driver without fear. I recommend you use a computer that can access the internet to grab the XP driver from the manufacturer website.

On a side note: You want XP because of the themes? You haven't spent enough time tweaking 7 then.

DXRick

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006
You need to treat all operating systems as being independent of each other. You need to install the motherboard drivers for each from within each OS. You need to find the latest drivers for all PC components for each OS.

In your case, you can boot to Win7 and download the drivers to a place you can easily access in Win XP (or burn them to a CD). Then you boot into Win XP, access the directory the drivers are in, and install the drivers.

mcstud

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2011
Thanks to everyone for their input. I am now triple booting 7, XP, and Ubuntu 10.10. I understand one must move on from the older OSes, but when you cannot even change the window and taskbar color in 7 without having aero enabled...well you get the picture. I don't particularly care for using resource hackers, replacing critical files, etc. just to have the full effect of a theme. I realize these preferences seem trivial, but I have always loved the extreme diversity XP offers in this area. 64bit 7 to my knowledge does not offer different colored basic themes. There is a multicolor basic theme for 32 bit 7 at deviant art. Once I max out my machine with 4GB of ram and a cheap graphics card, I won't be so disenchanted. You see, with aero enabled, video playback is jerky and my poor little small form factor HP with an outdated graphics card struggles. I have increased connection speed with my ISP; this has helped immensely, but has not entirely rectified these video issues, as I am using a 24.5 in. hd monitor. Playback of video is smoother when running XP, which isn't suprising considering the computer states it is designed to run XP. Without further rambling, and to return to what is pertinent here, I just followed instruction and downloaded the proper network adapter driver, burned it to cd (did not have a usb stick) then immediately installed the driver after booting in XP. Thanks again everyone.