Remote Desktop fails after SP2 install

History: Three weeks ago I took my testing XP box, one I
could live with if the worst happened, and put SP2-RC2 on
it. Right after installing RC2, I could no longer Remote
Desktop into it. Thinking first it was Windows Firewall,
and maybe it was/is, but disabling it completely still
would let me connect. I finally had enough and un-
installed SP2-RC2 and Remote Desktop functionality
returned. Now, I just figured, first, it isn't the final
SP code and that box isn't exactly 'clean'.

Present:
Unfortunately, this evening, I installed SP2-RTM
(downloaded from MSDN) on a pretty much clean, rarely used
XP install box and it did the same thing - Remote Desktop
no longer allows connections, after SP2 is installed.

What I get is a near immediate response:
"The Remote computer has ended the connection."

Yes, I first made sure the firewall exceptions were
enabled, which didn't help, so I disabled it, and just
like my previous test box, I can no longer connect - from
multiple computers, of course, to rule out that. I'm not
getting any errors in event viewer.

Here's a camtasia video showing what happens (back from my
RC2 test, but the same happens tonight on my new box, so
it looks the same, just a different server name):
http://www.csbs.uni.edu/download/misc/RD_problem1.exe

Again, I un-installed SP2 tonight and after the reboot, I
was able to Remote Desktop in again. Before un-
installing, though, I removed my ATI Radeon drivers, just
in case it was a video driver issue. (My previous text
box had an older Matrox card.) The reason I mention this
is their is some vague reference to NVidia drivers, which
is obviously not my problem.

Honestly, I obviously have some very special situation
here, otherwise I would have expected droves of RD
complaints by now. What can I even do to try to debug
this?
13 answers Last reply
More about remote desktop fails install

    I'll look at your video.

    This isn't the norm--I've just installed a dozen or so SP2's via Remote
    Desktop, and not lost connection except in the case of a single laptop which
    has the habit of turning off rather than restarting when set to restart.

    "Tom" <nospam@cogitator.mailshell.com> wrote in message
    > History: Three weeks ago I took my testing XP box, one I
    > could live with if the worst happened, and put SP2-RC2 on
    > it. Right after installing RC2, I could no longer Remote
    > Desktop into it. Thinking first it was Windows Firewall,
    > and maybe it was/is, but disabling it completely still
    > would let me connect. I finally had enough and un-
    > installed SP2-RC2 and Remote Desktop functionality
    > returned. Now, I just figured, first, it isn't the final
    > SP code and that box isn't exactly 'clean'.
    >
    > Present:
    > Unfortunately, this evening, I installed SP2-RTM
    > (downloaded from MSDN) on a pretty much clean, rarely used
    > XP install box and it did the same thing - Remote Desktop
    > no longer allows connections, after SP2 is installed.
    >
    > What I get is a near immediate response:
    > "The Remote computer has ended the connection."
    >
    > Yes, I first made sure the firewall exceptions were
    > enabled, which didn't help, so I disabled it, and just
    > like my previous test box, I can no longer connect - from
    > multiple computers, of course, to rule out that. I'm not
    > getting any errors in event viewer.
    >
    > Here's a camtasia video showing what happens (back from my
    > RC2 test, but the same happens tonight on my new box, so
    > it looks the same, just a different server name):
    > http://www.csbs.uni.edu/download/misc/RD_problem1.exe
    >
    > Again, I un-installed SP2 tonight and after the reboot, I
    > was able to Remote Desktop in again. Before un-
    > installing, though, I removed my ATI Radeon drivers, just
    > in case it was a video driver issue. (My previous text
    > box had an older Matrox card.) The reason I mention this
    > is their is some vague reference to NVidia drivers, which
    > is obviously not my problem.
    >
    > Honestly, I obviously have some very special situation
    > here, otherwise I would have expected droves of RD
    > complaints by now. What can I even do to try to debug
    > this?

    Hi, just want to be clear, I didn't _install_ SP2 via RD, I installed it at
    the console. It's just after installing it (and obviously rebooting), all
    attempts to Remote Desktop back into the SP2-computer are immediately
    denied, with the apparently obscure error:
    "The remote computer has ended the connection."

    Subsequently, un-installing SP2 re-enables my ability to Remote Desktop into
    that computer. This is the same behavior I noticed with SP2-RC2 on a much
    older, heavily used computer three weeks ago.

    Also, please note, back on July 7th, someone other than me posted as having
    the same problem, but no one replied with any insights either:

    "Bill Sanderson" <Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> wrote in

    > I'll look at your video.
    >
    > This isn't the norm--I've just installed a dozen or so SP2's via Remote
    > Desktop, and not lost connection except in the case of a single laptop
    > which has the habit of turning off rather than restarting when set to
    > restart.

    Weird... It definately isn't the firewall since it says that the
    remote computer "ended" the connection...

    Is there anything logged in the event log on the remote computer
    relating to a terminal services error?

    http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

    On Mon, 9 Aug 2004 22:32:30 -0700, "Tom"
    <nospam@cogitator.mailshell.com> wrote:

    >History: Three weeks ago I took my testing XP box, one I
    >could live with if the worst happened, and put SP2-RC2 on
    >it. Right after installing RC2, I could no longer Remote
    >Desktop into it. Thinking first it was Windows Firewall,
    >and maybe it was/is, but disabling it completely still
    >would let me connect. I finally had enough and un-
    >installed SP2-RC2 and Remote Desktop functionality
    >returned. Now, I just figured, first, it isn't the final
    >SP code and that box isn't exactly 'clean'.
    >
    >Present:
    >Unfortunately, this evening, I installed SP2-RTM
    >(downloaded from MSDN) on a pretty much clean, rarely used
    >XP install box and it did the same thing - Remote Desktop
    >no longer allows connections, after SP2 is installed.
    >
    >What I get is a near immediate response:
    >"The Remote computer has ended the connection."
    >
    >Yes, I first made sure the firewall exceptions were
    >enabled, which didn't help, so I disabled it, and just
    >like my previous test box, I can no longer connect - from
    >multiple computers, of course, to rule out that. I'm not
    >getting any errors in event viewer.
    >
    >Here's a camtasia video showing what happens (back from my
    >RC2 test, but the same happens tonight on my new box, so
    >it looks the same, just a different server name):
    >http://www.csbs.uni.edu/download/misc/RD_problem1.exe
    >
    >Again, I un-installed SP2 tonight and after the reboot, I
    >was able to Remote Desktop in again. Before un-
    >installing, though, I removed my ATI Radeon drivers, just
    >in case it was a video driver issue. (My previous text
    >box had an older Matrox card.) The reason I mention this
    >is their is some vague reference to NVidia drivers, which
    >is obviously not my problem.
    >
    >Honestly, I obviously have some very special situation
    >here, otherwise I would have expected droves of RD
    >complaints by now. What can I even do to try to debug
    >this?

    I'm wondering whether this is a symptom of an incomplete install, or a
    particular set of hardware or drivers that has this problem.

    I'm not sure that I remember this correctly: If you had installed SP2 (in
    any incarnation)--had this issue, uninstalled it, found the issue went away,
    and then installed SP2 again (again, any incarnation)--and had the issue
    resurface--I'd lean towards the latter--clearly a bug of some sort with your
    particular combination of hardware and drivers--and not one you alone will
    see--as you've noted, but probably quite rare, all the same.

    If you haven't gone through that cycle, I'd be interested whether
    re-applying SP2 over itself fixes this.

    What's the network hardware like, and how current is the driver?

    > I'm wondering whether this is a symptom of an incomplete install, or a
    > particular set of hardware or drivers that has this problem.
    >
    > I'm not sure that I remember this correctly: If you had installed SP2
    > (in any incarnation)--had this issue, uninstalled it, found the issue
    > went away, and then installed SP2 again (again, any incarnation)--and
    > had the issue resurface--I'd lean towards the latter--clearly a bug of
    > some sort with your particular combination of hardware and
    > drivers--and not one you alone will see--as you've noted, but probably
    > quite rare, all the same.
    >
    > If you haven't gone through that cycle, I'd be interested whether
    > re-applying SP2 over itself fixes this.
    >
    > What's the network hardware like, and how current is the driver?

    Well, the thing about it, it would have to be something I had in common
    with my old Micron and my new AlienWare machines, of which those two
    machines don't have a single common piece of hardware, other than a floppy
    drive. Time is short this month, as the fall semester approaches, so
    unfortunately I can't do a good methodical approach to this right now, but
    on the other hand, this seems so obscure I wanted to "get it out there" in
    case there aren't just apparently two of us on the planet earth with this
    issue.

    The fact that un-installing SP2 fixes the problem would seem to indicate
    what you suggest, some odd combination of my XP configuration and installed
    applications and the SP2 installer scripts. Of course, I did have a third
    even older system that had a few of my main apps I install and after SP2,
    RDC works, although I did have to go in and manually open up an exception
    for LAN, despite it being checked globally, which is by default when you
    enabled RD anyway... that was strange, but didn't seem to be the problem
    here, where the message (and the near instaneous reply) suggests the
    request is making it to the host machine (ie, not a firewall problem), but
    is just being immediately rejected.

    - Tom

    "Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" <jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com> wrote
    in news:rauih05c59v5q835lj6dnchvvjft6ittgb@4ax.com:

    > Weird... It definately isn't the firewall since it says that the
    > remote computer "ended" the connection...
    >
    > Is there anything logged in the event log on the remote computer
    > relating to a terminal services error?

    Unfortunately, no errors in the event logs. It would be helpful if there
    is, or is a way to enable, a (debugging) log specifically for Terminal
    Services, to see exactly what happens when the RDC request comes in and why
    it denies the request.

    - Tom

    Is there any software item in common between these two boxes?

    "Tom" <Use_Reply_To_Address@qxqx.net> wrote in message
    > "Bill Sanderson" <Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> wrote in
    >
    >> I'm wondering whether this is a symptom of an incomplete install, or a
    >> particular set of hardware or drivers that has this problem.
    >>
    >> I'm not sure that I remember this correctly: If you had installed SP2
    >> (in any incarnation)--had this issue, uninstalled it, found the issue
    >> went away, and then installed SP2 again (again, any incarnation)--and
    >> had the issue resurface--I'd lean towards the latter--clearly a bug of
    >> some sort with your particular combination of hardware and
    >> drivers--and not one you alone will see--as you've noted, but probably
    >> quite rare, all the same.
    >>
    >> If you haven't gone through that cycle, I'd be interested whether
    >> re-applying SP2 over itself fixes this.
    >>
    >> What's the network hardware like, and how current is the driver?
    >
    > Well, the thing about it, it would have to be something I had in common
    > with my old Micron and my new AlienWare machines, of which those two
    > machines don't have a single common piece of hardware, other than a floppy
    > drive. Time is short this month, as the fall semester approaches, so
    > unfortunately I can't do a good methodical approach to this right now, but
    > on the other hand, this seems so obscure I wanted to "get it out there" in
    > case there aren't just apparently two of us on the planet earth with this
    > issue.
    >
    > The fact that un-installing SP2 fixes the problem would seem to indicate
    > what you suggest, some odd combination of my XP configuration and
    > installed
    > applications and the SP2 installer scripts. Of course, I did have a third
    > even older system that had a few of my main apps I install and after SP2,
    > RDC works, although I did have to go in and manually open up an exception
    > for LAN, despite it being checked globally, which is by default when you
    > enabled RD anyway... that was strange, but didn't seem to be the problem
    > here, where the message (and the near instaneous reply) suggests the
    > request is making it to the host machine (ie, not a firewall problem), but
    > is just being immediately rejected.
    >
    > - Tom

    Hi Tom

    I am getting the same problem. I have been successfully using RDP to
    connect to a Compaq Evo D510 desktop (standard) for the last year or
    so. When I installed XP SP2 last week, remote desktop croaked.
    Exact same message about remote computer ending the session.

    The client computer was a Fujitsu Siemens Lifebook Laptop that had not
    been upgraded to SP2. This was upgraded by me over last weekend but
    this has not helped.

    I also tried Remote WEB desktop which has been installed on the
    desktop (uses IIS and the ActiveX control served from the PC). This
    had the same result.

    The windows firewall was disabled for testing, with no improvement.
    Afterward, I installed VNC (to get me working again) and this is
    running fine. There is no apparent option to re-install Remote
    desktop itself.

    Again, I see no event logs or other hints. Silent but deadly !

    Looks like there are at least two of us.

    "Tom" <nospam@cogitator.mailshell.com> wrote in message news:<322901c47e9b$6dfacc40$a501280a@phx.gbl>...
    > History: Three weeks ago I took my testing XP box, one I
    > could live with if the worst happened, and put SP2-RC2 on
    > it. Right after installing RC2, I could no longer Remote
    > Desktop into it. Thinking first it was Windows Firewall,
    > and maybe it was/is, but disabling it completely still
    > would let me connect. I finally had enough and un-
    > installed SP2-RC2 and Remote Desktop functionality
    > returned. Now, I just figured, first, it isn't the final
    > SP code and that box isn't exactly 'clean'.
    >
    > Present:
    > Unfortunately, this evening, I installed SP2-RTM
    > (downloaded from MSDN) on a pretty much clean, rarely used
    > XP install box and it did the same thing - Remote Desktop
    > no longer allows connections, after SP2 is installed.
    >
    > What I get is a near immediate response:
    > "The Remote computer has ended the connection."
    >
    > Yes, I first made sure the firewall exceptions were
    > enabled, which didn't help, so I disabled it, and just
    > like my previous test box, I can no longer connect - from
    > multiple computers, of course, to rule out that. I'm not
    > getting any errors in event viewer.
    >
    > Here's a camtasia video showing what happens (back from my
    > RC2 test, but the same happens tonight on my new box, so
    > it looks the same, just a different server name):
    > http://www.csbs.uni.edu/download/misc/RD_problem1.exe
    >
    > Again, I un-installed SP2 tonight and after the reboot, I
    > was able to Remote Desktop in again. Before un-
    > installing, though, I removed my ATI Radeon drivers, just
    > in case it was a video driver issue. (My previous text
    > box had an older Matrox card.) The reason I mention this
    > is their is some vague reference to NVidia drivers, which
    > is obviously not my problem.
    >
    > Honestly, I obviously have some very special situation
    > here, otherwise I would have expected droves of RD
    > complaints by now. What can I even do to try to debug
    > this?
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

    "Tom" <nospam@cogitator.mailshell.com> wrote in message news:<322901c47e9b$6dfacc40$a501280a@phx.gbl>...

    > Honestly, I obviously have some very special situation
    > here, otherwise I would have expected droves of RD
    > complaints by now. What can I even do to try to debug
    > this?

    I have a very similar situation. Since I installed SP2, I apparently
    get a remote desktop connection but it immediately logs me out again.

    Cheers
    Tim
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

    Do you have an NVidia display adapter? If so, diable the Nvidia
    Display Service in Computer Management -> Services.

    On 25 Aug 2004 08:14:48 -0700, spammelots@hotmail.com (Tim) wrote:

    >"Tom" <nospam@cogitator.mailshell.com> wrote in message news:<322901c47e9b$6dfacc40$a501280a@phx.gbl>...
    >
    >> Honestly, I obviously have some very special situation
    >> here, otherwise I would have expected droves of RD
    >> complaints by now. What can I even do to try to debug
    >> this?
    >
    >I have a very similar situation. Since I installed SP2, I apparently
    >get a remote desktop connection but it immediately logs me out again.
    >
    >Cheers
    >Tim
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

    I met a same trouble with XPSP2 on last week.
    But I found a solution with this trouble at other thread in this
    forum.
    http://www.mcse.ms/archive67-2004-8-954035.html

    That taught me that re-registering the user password solves this
    probrem.
    I don't know that why it solves this troble.

    regards.

    --
    nobunobu
  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

    I understand that thread, I believe.

    By default, Windows XP requires that a user requesting resources over the
    network have a password. So--you won't be able to connect via Remote
    Desktop with a user account which has no password, even if it is an
    administrator level account.

    Adding SP2 to a machine should not remove passwords from accounts, nor
    should it corrupt them. The way I read that thread, the OP had
    intentionally removed his password and forgotten this side-effect.

    "nobunobu" <nobunobu.1c02c7@mail.mcse.ms> wrote in message

    > I met a same trouble with XPSP2 on last week.
    > But I found a solution with this trouble at other thread in this
    > forum.
    > http://www.mcse.ms/archive67-2004-8-954035.html
    >
    > That taught me that re-registering the user password solves this
    > probrem.
    > I don't know that why it solves this troble.
    >
    > regards.
    >

    > --
    > nobunobu

  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

    This patch fixed my RDC via VPN breakdown that occurred after updating to SP2.

    WindowsXP-KB884020-x86-enu.exe - download from Microsoft

Remote Desktop Windows XP