US DVD players ntsc / pal

In Australia (PAL) most dvd players can handle NTSC discs - what's it like
over in the states? Do many players / tv systems handle PAL DVD's?

Matt
3 answers Last reply
More about players ntsc

    "Matt Bourke" wrote ...
    > In Australia (PAL) most dvd players can handle NTSC discs -
    > what's it like over in the states? Do many players / tv systems
    > handle PAL DVD's?

    Likely mostly the ultra-cheap Chinese players. But almost no
    TV/monitors that will display PAL in the consumer market,
    at least not in the US. (Likely Canadia as well?)

    Remember that your equipment likely doesn't do *real* NTSC,
    but only "fake-NTSC" (aka. PAL-60) with NTSC-like sweep
    rates, but PAL-like color encoding (hetrodyned from the NTSC
    Fsc to the PAL Fsc) People who try to capture PAL60 quickly
    discover the difference.

    Richard Crowley wrote:

    > Remember that your [Australian consumer multistandard DVD
    > player] equipment likely doesn't do *real* NTSC, but only
    > "fake-NTSC" (aka. PAL-60) with NTSC-like sweep rates,

    The above has been true for PAL VHS players with NTSC playback
    capability. However, it is generally _not_ true for modern DVD
    players, which more often than not _can_ output real NTSC
    signal, even in PAL countries. (Mind you, PAL countries get
    the same cheap Chinese players as you, and these usually have
    all the same basic capabilities in the firmware [and in their
    video encoder chip] all over the world - regardless of the
    locale where they are being sold - even though they usually
    have their power supply, default DVD region number and
    backside connectors customized for each local market.)

    Moreover, many of the larger PAL sets now have an integrated
    NTSC 4.43 / NTSC 3.58 color decoder as well (yes, both standards)
    - alongside with the capability of decoding "normal" 625/50 PAL
    and 525/60 "PAL-60", _AND_ RGB through the Scart connector. (The
    last one especially in Europe - I do not know about OZ/NZ
    situation, maybe they are more likely to have YPbPr component
    connectors instead?)

    As for playing back DVDs - and this is an European view on the
    matters - most of the time you can get the best picture quality
    by ditching both PAL and NTSC altogether, and using the Scart
    connector, and RGB signals instead - provided that the DVD
    player has a Scart connector and RGB outputs as well (which
    they usually do on the models localized for PAL markets, at least
    in Europe) In other words, if you have someone playing back
    NTSC DVDs on a PAL tv set, chances are that RGB signal format
    (instead of PAL or NTSC color encoding) is being used (or _should_
    be used, to get the best possible picture quality.)

    --
    znark

    "Jukka Aho" wrote ...
    > Richard Crowley wrote:
    >> Remember that your [Australian consumer multistandard DVD
    >> player] equipment likely doesn't do *real* NTSC, but only
    >> "fake-NTSC" (aka. PAL-60) with NTSC-like sweep rates,
    >
    > The above has been true for PAL VHS players with NTSC playback capability.
    > However, it is generally _not_ true for modern DVD players, which more
    > often than not _can_ output real NTSC signal, even in PAL countries.

    Thanks, Jukka

Tuner Cards DVD Players Desktops Video Graphics