Need recommendations for splitting large video files.

Hi, I'm back with another question. Bear with me as this is my first video
editing project. I have recorded the 4th game of the World Series onto my
pc using a Hauppauge capture card. I have used VideoReDo to edit out all
the commericials from the original file. My next step is to burn them to
DVD. However, the file is still quite large at 11GB and nearly 4 hours.
Since DVD can only hold 4.7GB I realize I need to split the file to fit onto
3 DVDs. I have dl'd the trial versions of mpeg splitter tools including
Easy Video Splitter, Smart Video Converter, Accusplit, etc. I found none of
them to be to my satisfaction. The problem is that I need to split the
video at specific points and none of them offer frame accurate navigation
similar to that used in VideoReDo. Also there was one (forgot which one
though) that locked up each time I tried to use it.
Can anyone please recommend a software program to split large video files
that has more accurate navigation than the one's listed above.
TIA
2 answers Last reply
More about need recommendations splitting large video files

    "ftran999" <ftran999@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > Hi, I'm back with another question. Bear with me as this is my first
    > video editing project. I have recorded the 4th game of the World Series
    > onto my pc using a Hauppauge capture card. I have used VideoReDo to edit
    > out all the commericials from the original file. My next step is to burn
    > them to DVD. However, the file is still quite large at 11GB and nearly 4
    > hours. Since DVD can only hold 4.7GB I realize I need to split the file to
    > fit onto 3 DVDs. I have dl'd the trial versions of mpeg splitter tools
    > including Easy Video Splitter, Smart Video Converter, Accusplit, etc. I
    > found none of them to be to my satisfaction. The problem is that I need
    > to split the video at specific points and none of them offer frame
    > accurate navigation similar to that used in VideoReDo. Also there was one
    > (forgot which one though) that locked up each time I tried to use it.
    > Can anyone please recommend a software program to split large video files
    > that has more accurate navigation than the one's listed above.
    > TIA

    Why not just use VideoReDo? Change it to selection mode
    and set the start and end points, save that selection with a new
    name (like WSGame4Part1.mpg) then reset the markers for
    your next selection. Use the time display if you need to, to get
    exact start points. Or you can leave it in cut mode and just
    reload the original .mpg. (Remember this is a nondestructive
    editor, your original is never changed, at all.) In the Cut mode
    you would use the "Trim Unselect" button, and save as your
    new name. When you come back clear the cut list and mark
    your next disk full. ( I like the cut mode better myself)

    Luck;
    Ken

    "Ken Maltby" <kmaltby@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

    > "ftran999" <ftran999@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >> Hi, I'm back with another question. Bear with me as this is my first
    >> video editing project. I have recorded the 4th game of the World Series
    >> onto my pc using a Hauppauge capture card. I have used VideoReDo to edit
    >> out all the commericials from the original file. My next step is to burn
    >> them to DVD. However, the file is still quite large at 11GB and nearly 4
    >> hours. Since DVD can only hold 4.7GB I realize I need to split the file
    >> to fit onto 3 DVDs. I have dl'd the trial versions of mpeg splitter
    >> tools including Easy Video Splitter, Smart Video Converter, Accusplit,
    >> etc. I found none of them to be to my satisfaction. The problem is that
    >> I need to split the video at specific points and none of them offer frame
    >> accurate navigation similar to that used in VideoReDo. Also there was
    >> one (forgot which one though) that locked up each time I tried to use it.
    >> Can anyone please recommend a software program to split large video files
    >> that has more accurate navigation than the one's listed above.
    >> TIA
    >>

    > Why not just use VideoReDo? Change it to selection mode
    > and set the start and end points, save that selection with a new
    > name (like WSGame4Part1.mpg) then reset the markers for
    > your next selection. Use the time display if you need to, to get
    > exact start points. Or you can leave it in cut mode and just
    > reload the original .mpg. (Remember this is a nondestructive
    > editor, your original is never changed, at all.) In the Cut mode
    > you would use the "Trim Unselect" button, and save as your
    > new name. When you come back clear the cut list and mark
    > your next disk full. ( I like the cut mode better myself)
    >
    > Luck;
    > Ken

    Thanks. It worked perfectly. Believe it or not I did wonder if VideoReDo
    could be used for this purpose. Just couldn't figure out how.

Tuner Cards Desktops Video Graphics