Sign in with
Your question

Black screen w/ cursor after starting windows

Last response: in Windows 7
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
January 4, 2011 4:23:48 AM

Hello,
I just did a system restore to about 10pm last night. Now whenever I turn on my computer, as soon as it gets past the "starting windows" screen, it just becomes a black screen with my cursor on it. I cannot bring up task manager or anything when it happens. I have windows 7 64 bit.

i tried to boot into my bios and load defaults but it didn't work
a b $ Windows 7
January 4, 2011 5:18:32 AM

why did you need to do a system restore? Perhaps it didn't work as intended.

Sounds like the GUI didn't load.
I would try to do a system repair.

Insert installation disk --> Select Language --> Click Repair (in bottom right corner)
And then just select your OS
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 4, 2011 5:26:21 AM

I assume you had a proper restore point created? Can you try booting into safe mode?
m
l
Related resources
January 4, 2011 2:38:22 PM

I'm surprised that System Restore didn't work. I agree with Herr_Koos above, you might want to try booting into Safe Mode if you haven't already, and, if all else fails, you could try a clean install altogether.

-- Ryan
Windows Outreach Team
m
l
January 4, 2011 11:23:48 PM

Hey w7pro that's a drastic bit of advice!
What about all those repair discs we are all supposed to make as soon as we get our first successful start up?
Not to mention all the inbuilt repair capacity built in to the op' system [yes I know none of it really worked until XP Pro'].....but 7 is supposed to be brilliant according to Microsoft.????????
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 5, 2011 9:12:05 AM

First try using the installation disc to do a repair, as arges86 suggested. If that doesn't work, more drastic measures may be required.
m
l
January 5, 2011 5:44:12 PM

Run system restore, if that does not work einstall the system.
I have this problem brought to me by customers 2-3x a week and thats about the only way to fix it.
You can thank a MS Update for the problem.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 6, 2011 7:31:43 AM

plasmastorm said:
Run system restore, if that does not work einstall the system.
I have this problem brought to me by customers 2-3x a week and thats about the only way to fix it.
You can thank a MS Update for the problem.

Has this been documented anywhere?
m
l
!