confusion about recording TV file size

I am confused. everything I read sez that 2 hours of TV equal about
4.2g. I am running an "ATI wonder pro TV capture card" on a Sony with
pentium 4 2.8ghz running windows XP home edition. No matter what
software I use to capture TV the file size of 2 hours is over 7g.
What am I doing wrong?
2 answers Last reply
More about confusion recording file size

    "jon__k" <jkarkat@aol.com> wrote in message
    >I am confused. everything I read sez that 2 hours of TV equal about
    > 4.2g. I am running an "ATI wonder pro TV capture card" on a Sony with
    > pentium 4 2.8ghz running windows XP home edition. No matter what
    > software I use to capture TV the file size of 2 hours is over 7g.
    > What am I doing wrong?

    Bitrate = File size. That is all there is to file size.

    The greater the Bitrate - The higher the Video Quality
    (except....)

    The lower the Bitrate - The worse the Video Quality
    (except....)

    The larger the Image the higher the Video Quality
    (except....)

    All the Technological Magic lies in the (except...).

    Try capturing at : Half D1 (352x480 NTSC)
    a VBR with a max 8Mbps, <4Mbps Avg or CQ=90%
    Audio as AC3 or Mp2 not PCM (wav)

    Luck;
    Ken

    jon__k wrote:
    > I am confused. everything I read sez that 2 hours of TV equal about
    > 4.2g.

    How long is a piece of string? No numerical value can be placed on "2
    hours of TV"

    I'm curious as to what you're reading...
    The size of a video is a function of bitrate and time. Nothing else.

    If your video is too large, use a lower bitrate.

    --
    -WD

Tuner Cards TV File Size Graphics