confusion about recording TV file size

I am confused. everything I read sez that 2 hours of TV equal about
4.2g. I am running an "ATI wonder pro TV capture card" on a Sony with
pentium 4 2.8ghz running windows XP home edition. No matter what
software I use to capture TV the file size of 2 hours is over 7g.
What am I doing wrong?

"jon__k" <jkarkat@aol.com> wrote in message
>I am confused. everything I read sez that 2 hours of TV equal about
> 4.2g. I am running an "ATI wonder pro TV capture card" on a Sony with
> pentium 4 2.8ghz running windows XP home edition. No matter what
> software I use to capture TV the file size of 2 hours is over 7g.
> What am I doing wrong?

Bitrate = File size. That is all there is to file size.

The greater the Bitrate - The higher the Video Quality
(except....)

The lower the Bitrate - The worse the Video Quality
(except....)

The larger the Image the higher the Video Quality
(except....)

All the Technological Magic lies in the (except...).

Try capturing at : Half D1 (352x480 NTSC)
a VBR with a max 8Mbps, <4Mbps Avg or CQ=90%
Audio as AC3 or Mp2 not PCM (wav)

Luck;
Ken

jon__k wrote:
> I am confused. everything I read sez that 2 hours of TV equal about
> 4.2g.

How long is a piece of string? No numerical value can be placed on "2
hours of TV"

I'm curious as to what you're reading...
The size of a video is a function of bitrate and time. Nothing else.

If your video is too large, use a lower bitrate.

--
-WD