slow DVD burning?

System:
XP SP2,
Tyan S2460 dual 1.2g Athlon Palomino MP,
3 gb DDR 266 RAM,
3Ware Escalade 7810 controller with latest firmware running JBOD (just a
bunch of disks) at ATA-6 (Ultra DMA5, 100 megabytes/second)

ATA-6 Seagate 80 gB drive (ST320021A) on one EIDE channel, no slave.
Pioneer DVR-108, firmware 1.14 on second EIDE channel, no slave.

The first anomaly is that although the DVR-108 is rated to ATA-4, it
consistently is recognized only as Ultra DMA2 (ATA-4). I have tried various
80 pin cables, and swapped EIDE ports, without success. The channels do
recognize the Seagate drive as ATA-5.

However, since even ATA-4 is rated at 66 megabytes/second, this does not
explain why Nero 6.0 reports it can burn at only 2.9X, which is somewhat
less than 4 megabytes/second.

Temp drive is not fragmented. Two temp drives have been tried: one which
resides on the 3Ware controller, and one which resides on the other EIDE
channel.
Antivirus is disabled.

The AMD website has an EIDE drive, 143s, that does seem faster, but it makes
no difference to Nero.

Any ideas?
14 answers Last reply
More about slow burning

    Additional note: CPU usage is mosly 0%, peaking at about 2%

    > Additional note: CPU usage is mosly 0%, peaking at about 2%
    >
    > "Robert Morein" <nowhere@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    >> System:
    >> XP SP2,
    >> Tyan S2460 dual 1.2g Athlon Palomino MP,
    >> 3 gb DDR 266 RAM,
    >> 3Ware Escalade 7810 controller with latest firmware running JBOD
    >> (just a bunch of disks) at ATA-6 (Ultra DMA5, 100
    >> megabytes/second)
    >>
    >> ATA-6 Seagate 80 gB drive (ST320021A) on one EIDE channel, no
    >> slave. Pioneer DVR-108, firmware 1.14 on second EIDE channel, no
    >> slave.
    >>
    >> The first anomaly is that although the DVR-108 is rated to ATA-4,
    >> it consistently is recognized only as Ultra DMA2 (ATA-4). I have
    >> tried
    > various
    >> 80 pin cables, and swapped EIDE ports, without success. The
    >> channels do recognize the Seagate drive as ATA-5.
    >>
    >> However, since even ATA-4 is rated at 66 megabytes/second, this
    >> does not explain why Nero 6.0 reports it can burn at only 2.9X,
    >> which is somewhat less than 4 megabytes/second.
    >>
    >> Temp drive is not fragmented. Two temp drives have been tried:
    >> one which resides on the 3Ware controller, and one which resides
    >> on the other EIDE channel.
    >> Antivirus is disabled.
    >>
    >> The AMD website has an EIDE drive, 143s, that does seem faster,
    >> but it
    > makes
    >> no difference to Nero.
    >>
    >> Any ideas?

    This is a WAG: is your BIOS set up correctly for the second IDE
    channel?

    How about your drive accelerator software (if any)? I have an Intel
    chipset, and I can't even see the actual settings for DMA in the
    Device Manager, only in the Intel Accelerator S/W. I don't know if
    anything similar to this exists for AMD, and if so, I don't know the
    appropriate language for AMD, so please ignore me if I'm in left
    field here.

    Also, I think the burn speed has little to do with the DMA transfer
    speed. It has to do with what the software (in this case Nero)
    thinks the max burn speeds of the drive and the DVD blank are.

    HTH,
    Gino

    --
    Gene E. Bloch (Gino) phone 650.966.8481
    Call me letters find me at domain blochg whose dot is com

    "Gene E. Bloch" <hamburger@NOT_SPAM.invalid> wrote in message
    > "Robert Morein" <nowhere@nowhere.com> wrote in
    >
    > > Additional note: CPU usage is mosly 0%, peaking at about 2%
    > >
    > > "Robert Morein" <nowhere@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > >> System:
    > >> XP SP2,
    > >> Tyan S2460 dual 1.2g Athlon Palomino MP,
    > >> 3 gb DDR 266 RAM,
    > >> 3Ware Escalade 7810 controller with latest firmware running JBOD
    > >> (just a bunch of disks) at ATA-6 (Ultra DMA5, 100
    > >> megabytes/second)
    > >>
    > >> ATA-6 Seagate 80 gB drive (ST320021A) on one EIDE channel, no
    > >> slave. Pioneer DVR-108, firmware 1.14 on second EIDE channel, no
    > >> slave.
    > >>
    > >> The first anomaly is that although the DVR-108 is rated to ATA-4,
    > >> it consistently is recognized only as Ultra DMA2 (ATA-4). I have
    > >> tried
    > > various
    > >> 80 pin cables, and swapped EIDE ports, without success. The
    > >> channels do recognize the Seagate drive as ATA-5.
    > >>
    > >> However, since even ATA-4 is rated at 66 megabytes/second, this
    > >> does not explain why Nero 6.0 reports it can burn at only 2.9X,
    > >> which is somewhat less than 4 megabytes/second.
    > >>
    > >> Temp drive is not fragmented. Two temp drives have been tried:
    > >> one which resides on the 3Ware controller, and one which resides
    > >> on the other EIDE channel.
    > >> Antivirus is disabled.
    > >>
    > >> The AMD website has an EIDE drive, 143s, that does seem faster,
    > >> but it
    > > makes
    > >> no difference to Nero.
    > >>
    > >> Any ideas?
    > >>

    > This is a WAG: is your BIOS set up correctly for the second IDE
    > channel?

    The BIOS is a "server BIOS", meaning that it is practically devoid of
    options. But as part of the diagnosis, I switched the Seagate drive from
    channel to channel, and in each case, it came up as Ultra DMA-5 (ATA-6).;

    > How about your drive accelerator software (if any)? I have an Intel
    > chipset, and I can't even see the actual settings for DMA in the
    > Device Manager, only in the Intel Accelerator S/W.

    No drive accelerator software is present. I did install the AMD EIDE driver,
    but no panel is associated with it. It doesn't seem to make much difference.

    I don't know if
    > anything similar to this exists for AMD, and if so, I don't know the
    > appropriate language for AMD, so please ignore me if I'm in left
    > field here.

    Thanks for responding.

    > Also, I think the burn speed has little to do with the DMA transfer
    > speed. It has to do with what the software (in this case Nero)
    > thinks the max burn speeds of the drive and the DVD blank are.

    In this case, Nero is specifically commenting that "the source is too slow.
    The DVD will be burned at 2.9X."
    In reality, it's taking forever, something like six hours/blank.

    These are 8X blanks. I have sitting next to this problem machine a very
    simple P4 2.6 with a Via 400 mHz bus. The drive is recognized as Ultra
    DMA-5, and it burns the blanks at 4X.

    > HTH,
    > Gino
    >
    > --
    > Gene E. Bloch (Gino) phone 650.966.8481
    > Call me letters find me at domain blochg whose dot is com

    > various
    > > 80 pin cables, and swapped EIDE ports, without success. The channels do
    > > recognize the Seagate drive as ATA-5.
    > >
    > > However, since even ATA-4 is rated at 66 megabytes/second, this does not
    > > explain why Nero 6.0 reports it can burn at only 2.9X, which is somewhat
    > > less than 4 megabytes/second.
    > >
    > > Temp drive is not fragmented. Two temp drives have been tried: one which
    > > resides on the 3Ware controller, and one which resides on the other EIDE
    > > channel.
    > > Antivirus is disabled.
    > >
    > > The AMD website has an EIDE drive, 143s, that does seem faster, but it
    > makes
    > > no difference to Nero.
    > >
    > > Any ideas?

    With DVDs your write speed is limited by the media you use and if your
    drive's firmware or Nero doesn't recognize the stamp on the disk
    correctly there may be an update available.
    --
    _________________________
    http://www.ramsays-online.com

    "Chris Phillipo" <cphillipo@ramsays-online.com> wrote in message

    > > various
    > > > 80 pin cables, and swapped EIDE ports, without success. The channels
    do
    > > > recognize the Seagate drive as ATA-5.
    > > >
    > > > However, since even ATA-4 is rated at 66 megabytes/second, this does
    not
    > > > explain why Nero 6.0 reports it can burn at only 2.9X, which is
    somewhat
    > > > less than 4 megabytes/second.
    > > >
    > > > Temp drive is not fragmented. Two temp drives have been tried: one
    which
    > > > resides on the 3Ware controller, and one which resides on the other
    EIDE
    > > > channel.
    > > > Antivirus is disabled.
    > > >
    > > > The AMD website has an EIDE drive, 143s, that does seem faster, but it
    > > makes
    > > > no difference to Nero.
    > > >
    > > > Any ideas?
    > > >

    > With DVDs your write speed is limited by the media you use and if your
    > drive's firmware or Nero doesn't recognize the stamp on the disk
    > correctly there may be an update available.
    > --
    After I posted, I experimented with different media and switched to Roxio.
    No difference.

    Of these cables you tried were they new ATA 66 cables or old ones you
    had lying around? I know when I burned a new cable one time and pulled
    an old EIDE cable out of the junk drawer it didn't work properly.
    --
    _________________________

    > Of these cables you tried were they new ATA 66 cables or old ones you
    > had lying around? I know when I burned a new cable one time and pulled
    > an old EIDE cable out of the junk drawer it didn't work properly.
    > --
    > _________________________
    > Chris Phillipo - Cape Breton, Nova Scotia
    > http://www.ramsays-online.com

    80 pin, that would be the ATA 66.
    I tried several, including an exotic teflon variety included with the 3Ware
    controller.

    > "Gene E. Bloch" <hamburger@NOT_SPAM.invalid> wrote in message
    >> "Robert Morein" <nowhere@nowhere.com> wrote in
    >>
    >> > Additional note: CPU usage is mosly 0%, peaking at about 2%
    >> >
    >> > "Robert Morein" <nowhere@nowhere.com> wrote in message

    >> > various

    >> > makes

    >> This is a WAG: is your BIOS set up correctly for the second IDE
    >> channel?
    >>
    > The BIOS is a "server BIOS", meaning that it is practically devoid
    > of options. But as part of the diagnosis, I switched the Seagate
    > drive from channel to channel, and in each case, it came up as
    > Ultra DMA-5 (ATA-6).;
    >
    >> How about your drive accelerator software (if any)? I have an
    >> Intel chipset, and I can't even see the actual settings for DMA
    >> in the Device Manager, only in the Intel Accelerator S/W.
    >
    > No drive accelerator software is present. I did install the AMD
    > EIDE driver, but no panel is associated with it. It doesn't seem
    > to make much difference.
    >
    > I don't know if
    >> anything similar to this exists for AMD, and if so, I don't know
    >> the appropriate language for AMD, so please ignore me if I'm in
    >> left field here.
    >>
    > Thanks for responding.
    >
    >> Also, I think the burn speed has little to do with the DMA
    >> transfer speed. It has to do with what the software (in this case
    >> Nero) thinks the max burn speeds of the drive and the DVD blank
    >> are.
    >>
    > In this case, Nero is specifically commenting that "the source is
    > too slow. The DVD will be burned at 2.9X."
    > In reality, it's taking forever, something like six hours/blank.
    >
    > These are 8X blanks. I have sitting next to this problem machine
    > a very simple P4 2.6 with a Via 400 mHz bus. The drive is
    > recognized as Ultra DMA-5, and it burns the blanks at 4X.
    >

    >> HTH,
    >> Gino
    >>
    >> --
    >> Gene E. Bloch (Gino) phone 650.966.8481
    >> Call me letters find me at domain blochg whose dot is com

    Reading the above and the rest of the new responses in this thread,
    I now think you have one of those mysterious situations with no
    solution.

    Do you have available any other burning software (even a trial
    version) or a later Nero?

    Clearly something is broken, and it doesn't seem to be you...Could
    the motherboard's DMA be not working, or do other drives, for
    instance hard drives, behave OK?

    How about the Master/Slave jumpers? Have you tried cable select
    instead? CS works fine on my computer, where I have two drives per
    cable - one hard drive and one optical drive. Hmmm - just to be
    crazy, could you try puting both drives on one IDE channel, either
    Master/Slave or cable select?

    It's beginning to get weird here, inside my head :-)

    Gino

    --

    > "Robert Morein" <nowhere@nowhere.com> wrote in
    >

    > > "Gene E. Bloch" <hamburger@NOT_SPAM.invalid> wrote in message
    > >> "Robert Morein" <nowhere@nowhere.com> wrote in

    > >> This is a WAG: is your BIOS set up correctly for the second IDE
    > >> channel?
    > >>
    > > The BIOS is a "server BIOS", meaning that it is practically devoid
    > > of options. But as part of the diagnosis, I switched the Seagate
    > > drive from channel to channel, and in each case, it came up as
    > > Ultra DMA-5 (ATA-6).;
    > >
    > >> How about your drive accelerator software (if any)? I have an
    > >> Intel chipset, and I can't even see the actual settings for DMA
    > >> in the Device Manager, only in the Intel Accelerator S/W.
    > >
    > > No drive accelerator software is present. I did install the AMD
    > > EIDE driver, but no panel is associated with it. It doesn't seem
    > > to make much difference.
    > >
    > > I don't know if
    > >> anything similar to this exists for AMD, and if so, I don't know
    > >> the appropriate language for AMD, so please ignore me if I'm in
    > >> left field here.
    > >>
    > > Thanks for responding.
    > >
    > >> Also, I think the burn speed has little to do with the DMA
    > >> transfer speed. It has to do with what the software (in this case
    > >> Nero) thinks the max burn speeds of the drive and the DVD blank
    > >> are.
    > >>
    > > In this case, Nero is specifically commenting that "the source is
    > > too slow. The DVD will be burned at 2.9X."
    > > In reality, it's taking forever, something like six hours/blank.
    > >
    > > These are 8X blanks. I have sitting next to this problem machine
    > > a very simple P4 2.6 with a Via 400 mHz bus. The drive is
    > > recognized as Ultra DMA-5, and it burns the blanks at 4X.
    > >

    > >> HTH,
    > >> Gino
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Gene E. Bloch (Gino) phone 650.966.8481
    > >> Call me letters find me at domain blochg whose dot is com
    > >>

    > Reading the above and the rest of the new responses in this thread,
    > I now think you have one of those mysterious situations with no
    > solution.
    >
    > Do you have available any other burning software (even a trial
    > version) or a later Nero?
    >
    > Clearly something is broken, and it doesn't seem to be you...Could
    > the motherboard's DMA be not working, or do other drives, for
    > instance hard drives, behave OK?
    >
    > How about the Master/Slave jumpers? Have you tried cable select
    > instead? CS works fine on my computer, where I have two drives per
    > cable - one hard drive and one optical drive. Hmmm - just to be
    > crazy, could you try puting both drives on one IDE channel, either
    > Master/Slave or cable select?
    >
    > It's beginning to get weird here, inside my head :-)
    >
    > Gino

    Pioneer tech support has suggested that the IDE channels may not support
    above ATA-2 for optical drives. I did not realize that this could be a
    separate issue. They may have just been trying to get rid of me. I do have
    another DVR-108, and I'm going to pull it and try it in this machine.

    The ATA status is reported by XP, so it can't be influenced by the burner
    program.
    And yes, there may be no solution. This can be just the kind of
    compatibility problem which occurs with a motherboard that is several years
    old, still quite usable, but out of support.

    In article <tI6dnboQ7YxWpzncRVn-ig@comcast.com>, nowhere@nowhere.com
    says...
    > ioneer tech support has suggested that the IDE channels may not support
    > above ATA-2 for optical drives. I did not realize that this could be a
    > separate issue. They may have just been trying to get rid of me. I do have
    > another DVR-108, and I'm going to pull it and try it in this machine.
    >
    > The ATA status is reported by XP, so it can't be influenced by the burner
    > program.
    > And yes, there may be no solution. This can be just the kind of
    > compatibility problem which occurs with a motherboard that is several years
    > old, still quite usable, but out of support.

    FYI, I have a DVR-106D and it barely worked at all when I first
    installed it. It only worked properly with the included media. It
    worked fine once I applied the firmware update off their web site, which
    is why I mentioned that initially.
    --
    _________________________

    > In article <tI6dnboQ7YxWpzncRVn-ig@comcast.com>,
    > nowhere@nowhere.com says...
    >> ioneer tech support has suggested that the IDE channels may not
    >> support above ATA-2 for optical drives. I did not realize that
    >> this could be a separate issue. They may have just been trying to
    >> get rid of me. I do have another DVR-108, and I'm going to pull
    >> it and try it in this machine.
    >>
    >> The ATA status is reported by XP, so it can't be influenced by
    >> the burner program.
    >> And yes, there may be no solution. This can be just the kind of
    >> compatibility problem which occurs with a motherboard that is
    >> several years old, still quite usable, but out of support.
    >>

    > FYI, I have a DVR-106D and it barely worked at all when I first
    > installed it. It only worked properly with the included media.
    > It worked fine once I applied the firmware update off their web
    > site, which is why I mentioned that initially.

    I'd like to add, re what Pioneer tech support said to you, that my
    Pioneer 108 is reported at UDMA-4 - but this is by the Intel
    software. I have no idea why tech support said that about your MB,
    or whether the difference might be in the age of my MB or the use of
    the Intel SW on the Intel chipset, or just plain luck.

    BTW, my Sony DRU-500 is reported at UDMA-2, which is all that drive
    can do, I think (and Intel thinks, of course!).

    Good luck, and let us know if you solve this one!
    Gino

    --

    Robert Morein wrote:
    > it makes no difference to Nero.

    Which (of the _too many_) Nero applications?
    (e.g., Nero Burning ROM: Help -> About Nero Burning ROM)
    We are using 6.3.1.25.

    If you have Nero InfoTool, what does it say about the speed
    of your media when you put in a blank DVD and click on the
    Disc tab?

    What does Nero CD-DVD Speed say about the speed of the drive?

    You can set/force speed of the drive using Nero DriveSpeed.
    Perhaps that setting is wrong.

    > Pioneer DVR-108, firmware 1.14 on second EIDE channel, no slave.

    We purchased a Pioneer DVR-108 a couple of weeks ago. It came with
    1.10. I noticed on the Pioneer site that 1.14 is available.
    Did you upgrade to 1.14 or did it come with 1.14?

    No problems with it so far (that we have noticed).

    > Chris Phillipo <cphillipo@ramsays-online.com> wrote in
    >
    >> In article <tI6dnboQ7YxWpzncRVn-ig@comcast.com>,
    >> nowhere@nowhere.com says...
    >>> ioneer tech support has suggested that the IDE channels may not
    >>> support above ATA-2 for optical drives. I did not realize that
    >>> this could be a separate issue. They may have just been trying
    >>> to get rid of me. I do have another DVR-108, and I'm going to
    >>> pull it and try it in this machine.
    >>>
    >>> The ATA status is reported by XP, so it can't be influenced by
    >>> the burner program.
    >>> And yes, there may be no solution. This can be just the kind of
    >>> compatibility problem which occurs with a motherboard that is
    >>> several years old, still quite usable, but out of support.
    >>>

    >> FYI, I have a DVR-106D and it barely worked at all when I first
    >> installed it. It only worked properly with the included media.
    >> It worked fine once I applied the firmware update off their web
    >> site, which is why I mentioned that initially.
    >
    > I'd like to add, re what Pioneer tech support said to you, that my
    > Pioneer 108 is reported at UDMA-4 - but this is by the Intel
    > software. I have no idea why tech support said that about your MB,
    > or whether the difference might be in the age of my MB or the use
    > of the Intel SW on the Intel chipset, or just plain luck.
    >
    > BTW, my Sony DRU-500 is reported at UDMA-2, which is all that
    > drive can do, I think (and Intel thinks, of course!).
    >
    > Good luck, and let us know if you solve this one!
    > Gino

    I meant to be talking to Robert Morein, so apologies to you, Chris.

    Everyone have a nice Thanksgiving or a nice Thursday, as
    appropriate!

    Gino

    --
    Gene E. Bloch (Gino) phone 650.966.8481
    Call me letters find me at domain blochg whose dot is com

    There are two aspects to this:
    1. The channel is stuck at Ultra DMA 2. No solution to that.
    2. Updating to Nero 6.6 resulted in a 12X burn of Fuji 8X media!

    This represents a speed increase of well over 12, since it does not appear
    that the drive was burning at even 1X before the upgrade.

    I had tried several burner programs I had lying around, from bundled
    hardware.
    The moral is clear: Unless the buffer strategy of the burner software is
    optimized for Windows XP SP2, severe performance penalties will occur.

    Someone remarked that a DVD burner limited to Ultra DMA 2 could not burn
    faster than 4X.
    This is manifestly not the case.

    "Robert Morein" <nowhere@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > System:
    > XP SP2,
    > Tyan S2460 dual 1.2g Athlon Palomino MP,
    > 3 gb DDR 266 RAM,
    > 3Ware Escalade 7810 controller with latest firmware running JBOD (just a
    > bunch of disks) at ATA-6 (Ultra DMA5, 100 megabytes/second)
    >
    > ATA-6 Seagate 80 gB drive (ST320021A) on one EIDE channel, no slave.
    > Pioneer DVR-108, firmware 1.14 on second EIDE channel, no slave.
    >
    > The first anomaly is that although the DVR-108 is rated to ATA-4, it
    > consistently is recognized only as Ultra DMA2 (ATA-4). I have tried
    various
    > 80 pin cables, and swapped EIDE ports, without success. The channels do
    > recognize the Seagate drive as ATA-5.
    >
    > However, since even ATA-4 is rated at 66 megabytes/second, this does not
    > explain why Nero 6.0 reports it can burn at only 2.9X, which is somewhat
    > less than 4 megabytes/second.
    >
    > Temp drive is not fragmented. Two temp drives have been tried: one which
    > resides on the 3Ware controller, and one which resides on the other EIDE
    > channel.
    > Antivirus is disabled.
    >
    > The AMD website has an EIDE drive, 143s, that does seem faster, but it
    makes
    > no difference to Nero.
    >
    > Any ideas?

Tuner Cards Graphics