Vegas 5 and 'nvidia' chipset Mainboards, OUCH!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
November 22, 2004 12:40:51 PM

Nice new FX-53 System on MSI Nea2 Plat nVidia Ultra3 mainboard.
Vegas 5 "will not" see any of my two (TDK and Pioneer [dual DVD])
burners...
Tried all the different motherboard drivers.
Tried all the Microsoft standard IDE drivers.
Moved the cable from IDE1 to IDE 2, no joy.
Moved the jumpers from Master to slave, and back, so forth, no joy.

Use Vegas 5 in all the rendering and track recording, but cannot
burn (now) to either drive...

Contacted Vegas (not really happy with their response) and they
said, 'well, we don't have that particular drive to test' - heck,
the drive works on an old slow system with Intel chipset, but
not nVidia chipset... that "seems" to be the issue.

Any thoughts or help GREATLY appreciated. Thanks very much.
Anonymous
November 23, 2004 7:12:44 PM

Doc <pc-dc-doc@comcast.net> news:41a22313$0$20533
$9a6e19ea@news.newshosting.com:

> Nice new FX-53 System on MSI Nea2 Plat nVidia Ultra3 mainboard.
> Vegas 5 "will not" see any of my two (TDK and Pioneer [dual DVD])
> burners...
> Tried all the different motherboard drivers.
> Tried all the Microsoft standard IDE drivers.
> Moved the cable from IDE1 to IDE 2, no joy.
> Moved the jumpers from Master to slave, and back, so forth, no joy.
>
> Use Vegas 5 in all the rendering and track recording, but cannot
> burn (now) to either drive...
>
> Contacted Vegas (not really happy with their response) and they
> said, 'well, we don't have that particular drive to test' - heck,
> the drive works on an old slow system with Intel chipset, but
> not nVidia chipset... that "seems" to be the issue.
>
> Any thoughts or help GREATLY appreciated. Thanks very much.

Do they show up in BIOS? Although you said the system is new, is there
a BIOS revision update available anyway?

How about SATA vs IDE (turned on/off in BIOS)?

david
November 23, 2004 8:45:45 PM

david gourley typed this:

> Doc <pc-dc-doc@comcast.net> news:41a22313$0$20533
> $9a6e19ea@news.newshosting.com:
>

>>Nice new FX-53 System on MSI Nea2 Plat nVidia Ultra3 mainboard.
>>Vegas 5 "will not" see any of my two (TDK and Pioneer [dual DVD])
>>burners...
>>Tried all the different motherboard drivers.
>>Tried all the Microsoft standard IDE drivers.
>>Moved the cable from IDE1 to IDE 2, no joy.
>>Moved the jumpers from Master to slave, and back, so forth, no joy.
>>
>>Use Vegas 5 in all the rendering and track recording, but cannot
>>burn (now) to either drive...
>>
>>Contacted Vegas (not really happy with their response) and they
>>said, 'well, we don't have that particular drive to test' - heck,
>>the drive works on an old slow system with Intel chipset, but
>>not nVidia chipset... that "seems" to be the issue.
>>
>>Any thoughts or help GREATLY appreciated. Thanks very much.
>>
> Do they show up in BIOS? Although you said the system is new, is there
> a BIOS revision update available anyway?

> How about SATA vs IDE (turned on/off in BIOS)?
> david

David,
Many thanks for the response.
Yes. They do show up in the BIOS perfectly... indeed they show up in
every software program that "would" look for them EXCEPT VEGAS 5 -

The machine uses the SATA connectors for a SATA RAID0 setup for Hard
disks only. The IDE1 (and in efforts to 'fix' this, IDE2) have been
used for the two DVD burners (and, again, in a 'fix' effort, only
one or the other at different times, set as master, then a master/slave
combo, etc... you know) -

We have tried the two available BIOS for the mainboard, no joy.
We have used the MS based IDE controller/driver and the nVidia one (two
different versions) - no joy.

We do have the BIOS setup for ON for both IDE controllers and BOTH
SATA controllers - the machine boots off the SATA setup ...

Thoughts on this? Thanks again.

--
Rich "Doc" Colley

mailto: pc-dc-doc@nospam.comcast.net
November 24, 2004 11:41:26 PM

Doc <pc-dc-doc@nospam.comcast.net>

> david gourley typed this:
>
>> Doc <pc-dc-doc@comcast.net> news:41a22313$0$20533
>> $9a6e19ea@news.newshosting.com:
>>

>>>Nice new FX-53 System on MSI Nea2 Plat nVidia Ultra3 mainboard.
>>>Vegas 5 "will not" see any of my two (TDK and Pioneer [dual DVD])
>>>burners...
>>>Tried all the different motherboard drivers.
>>>Tried all the Microsoft standard IDE drivers.
>>>Moved the cable from IDE1 to IDE 2, no joy.
>>>Moved the jumpers from Master to slave, and back, so forth, no joy.
>>>
>>>Use Vegas 5 in all the rendering and track recording, but cannot
>>>burn (now) to either drive...
>>>
>>>Contacted Vegas (not really happy with their response) and they
>>>said, 'well, we don't have that particular drive to test' - heck,
>>>the drive works on an old slow system with Intel chipset, but
>>>not nVidia chipset... that "seems" to be the issue.
>>>
>>>Any thoughts or help GREATLY appreciated. Thanks very much.
>>>
>> Do they show up in BIOS? Although you said the system is new, is
>> there a BIOS revision update available anyway?
>
>> How about SATA vs IDE (turned on/off in BIOS)?
>> david
>

> David,
> Many thanks for the response.
> Yes. They do show up in the BIOS perfectly... indeed they show up in
> every software program that "would" look for them EXCEPT VEGAS 5 -
>
> The machine uses the SATA connectors for a SATA RAID0 setup for Hard
> disks only. The IDE1 (and in efforts to 'fix' this, IDE2) have been
> used for the two DVD burners (and, again, in a 'fix' effort, only
> one or the other at different times, set as master, then a
> master/slave combo, etc... you know) -
>
> We have tried the two available BIOS for the mainboard, no joy.
> We have used the MS based IDE controller/driver and the nVidia one
> (two different versions) - no joy.
>
> We do have the BIOS setup for ON for both IDE controllers and BOTH
> SATA controllers - the machine boots off the SATA setup ...
>
> Thoughts on this? Thanks again.

'OUCH' is right! How about the Vegas 5.0b update -did you get that as
well? Hmmm....I use DVD Architect for DVD authoring (as I got the combo
package)... So, Vegas won't even see the drive(s) to rip a cd or anything,
either?

How about DMA settings -is that available, or is that what BIOS indicates?
Better yet, can you borrow a different drive to substitute? That would
tell you if you do or don't have a mbd problem to begin with, I'd think.
IDE should be IDE should be IDE etc etc. If they're on the same cable,
you could try the 'CS' setting (but it doesn't sound like that will do it,
either).

All I can think of is posting to the Vegas forum(s) or an Nvidia related
forum. I use an ASUS mbd, and it's worked flawlessly (in spite of the VIA
chipset, which was known to be problematic in the past). I've had MSI's
that ended up with mbd capacitor problems, so I'm not too enthusiastic
about them anymore.

luck,
david
Anonymous
November 28, 2004 1:11:38 AM

In earlier days when DVDit! PE got to version 2.5 after the install all the
CD and DVD drives disappeared from a lot of peoples' systems. It turned out
to be an ASPI issue. Look for an ASPI update.

"david gourley" <davidg@ipass.net> wrote in message
> Doc <pc-dc-doc@comcast.net> news:41a22313$0$20533
> $9a6e19ea@news.newshosting.com:
>
> > Nice new FX-53 System on MSI Nea2 Plat nVidia Ultra3 mainboard.
> > Vegas 5 "will not" see any of my two (TDK and Pioneer [dual DVD])
> > burners...
> > Tried all the different motherboard drivers.
> > Tried all the Microsoft standard IDE drivers.
> > Moved the cable from IDE1 to IDE 2, no joy.
> > Moved the jumpers from Master to slave, and back, so forth, no joy.
> >
> > Use Vegas 5 in all the rendering and track recording, but cannot
> > burn (now) to either drive...
> >
> > Contacted Vegas (not really happy with their response) and they
> > said, 'well, we don't have that particular drive to test' - heck,
> > the drive works on an old slow system with Intel chipset, but
> > not nVidia chipset... that "seems" to be the issue.
> >
> > Any thoughts or help GREATLY appreciated. Thanks very much.
> >

> Do they show up in BIOS? Although you said the system is new, is there
> a BIOS revision update available anyway?
>
> How about SATA vs IDE (turned on/off in BIOS)?
>
> david
Anonymous
November 29, 2004 5:16:54 PM

"Digital Video Solutions" <video@digitalvideosolutions.com>

> In earlier days when DVDit! PE got to version 2.5 after the install
> all the CD and DVD drives disappeared from a lot of peoples' systems.
> It turned out to be an ASPI issue. Look for an ASPI update.
>
> "david gourley" <davidg@ipass.net> wrote in message
>> Doc <pc-dc-doc@comcast.net> news:41a22313$0$20533
>> $9a6e19ea@news.newshosting.com:
>>
>> > Nice new FX-53 System on MSI Nea2 Plat nVidia Ultra3 mainboard.
>> > Vegas 5 "will not" see any of my two (TDK and Pioneer [dual DVD])
>> > burners...
>> > Tried all the different motherboard drivers.
>> > Tried all the Microsoft standard IDE drivers.
>> > Moved the cable from IDE1 to IDE 2, no joy.
>> > Moved the jumpers from Master to slave, and back, so forth, no joy.
>> >
>> > Use Vegas 5 in all the rendering and track recording, but cannot
>> > burn (now) to either drive...
>> >
>> > Contacted Vegas (not really happy with their response) and they
>> > said, 'well, we don't have that particular drive to test' - heck,
>> > the drive works on an old slow system with Intel chipset, but
>> > not nVidia chipset... that "seems" to be the issue.
>> >
>> > Any thoughts or help GREATLY appreciated. Thanks very much.
>> >

>> Do they show up in BIOS? Although you said the system is new, is
>> there a BIOS revision update available anyway?
>>
>> How about SATA vs IDE (turned on/off in BIOS)?
>>
>> david

I believe the original poster said that his other pgms could see the
drives, just not Vegas.

david
Anonymous
November 30, 2004 10:47:56 PM

Sorry I wasn't more clear. When the incident happened with DVDit! PE the
drives were listed everywhere but no access through PE.

!