Wireless network is functioning but icon indicates it is d..

I just installed sp2. Wireless network is working (both the LAN and WAN) but
the wireless connection window indicates that it is disconnected.
Furthermore, the status information is unavailable. I have 2 network cards,
a regular NVIDIA network card and a USR5416 Robotics wireless adapter. I
usually disable the NVIDIA network card because I am not using it but when I
enable the NVIDIA card the status on my wireless adapter network adapter
returns to normal for a while and then suddenly indicates that it is
disabled but the network continues to function. Disabling the firewall does
not help. Repairing the connection also fails although the network is
functioning. What is the cause of this weird, obviously buggy behavior.
Thanks...Peter

From the information you've given, it's very hard to tell.
Probably, some kind or "adapter switch" utility was installed on your system
before update to SP2.

--PA

"Peter Welk" wrote:
> I just installed sp2. Wireless network is working (both the LAN and WAN) but
> the wireless connection window indicates that it is disconnected.
> Furthermore, the status information is unavailable. I have 2 network cards,
> a regular NVIDIA network card and a USR5416 Robotics wireless adapter. I
> usually disable the NVIDIA network card because I am not using it but when I
> enable the NVIDIA card the status on my wireless adapter network adapter
> returns to normal for a while and then suddenly indicates that it is
> disabled but the network continues to function. Disabling the firewall does
> not help. Repairing the connection also fails although the network is
> functioning. What is the cause of this weird, obviously buggy behavior.
> Thanks...Peter

Thanks for your reply. I have a very simple setup. This problem is something
related to sp2. Are there any services or network settings which may cause
this behavior? The problem again is that the wireless network is connected
and working but all the windows related to network connections and status
indicate that there is no connection.
Thanks...Peter

"Pavel A." <pavel_a@geeklife.com> wrote in message
> From the information you've given, it's very hard to tell.
> Probably, some kind or "adapter switch" utility was installed on your
> system
> before update to SP2.
>
> --PA
>
> "Peter Welk" wrote:
>> I just installed sp2. Wireless network is working (both the LAN and WAN)
>> but
>> the wireless connection window indicates that it is disconnected.
>> Furthermore, the status information is unavailable. I have 2 network
>> cards,
>> a regular NVIDIA network card and a USR5416 Robotics wireless adapter. I
>> usually disable the NVIDIA network card because I am not using it but
>> when I
>> enable the NVIDIA card the status on my wireless adapter network adapter
>> returns to normal for a while and then suddenly indicates that it is
>> disabled but the network continues to function. Disabling the firewall
>> does
>> not help. Repairing the connection also fails although the network is
>> functioning. What is the cause of this weird, obviously buggy behavior.
>> Thanks...Peter

I would like to help troubleshoot this issue. Can you turn on logs...

To turn on logs
1) Open a command window.
2) Type netsh ras set tr * en
3) Hit enter
4) Reproduce your problem
5) Go to %windir% This is your windows directory
6) Go to the tracing directory... Normally this is c:\windows\tracing

Send the whole tracing directory to me...

Send to jeffbaz@microsoft.com

--
Jeff Baziuk
Microsoft Corporation

and confers no rights.

"Peter Welk" <peterwelk@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Thanks for your reply. I have a very simple setup. This problem is
> something related to sp2. Are there any services or network settings which
> may cause this behavior? The problem again is that the wireless network is
> connected and working but all the windows related to network connections
> and status indicate that there is no connection.
> Thanks...Peter
>
> "Pavel A." <pavel_a@geeklife.com> wrote in message
>> From the information you've given, it's very hard to tell.
>> Probably, some kind or "adapter switch" utility was installed on your
>> system
>> before update to SP2.
>>
>> --PA
>>
>> "Peter Welk" wrote:
>>> I just installed sp2. Wireless network is working (both the LAN and WAN)
>>> but
>>> the wireless connection window indicates that it is disconnected.
>>> Furthermore, the status information is unavailable. I have 2 network
>>> cards,
>>> a regular NVIDIA network card and a USR5416 Robotics wireless adapter. I
>>> usually disable the NVIDIA network card because I am not using it but
>>> when I
>>> enable the NVIDIA card the status on my wireless adapter network adapter
>>> returns to normal for a while and then suddenly indicates that it is
>>> disabled but the network continues to function. Disabling the firewall
>>> does
>>> not help. Repairing the connection also fails although the network is
>>> functioning. What is the cause of this weird, obviously buggy behavior.
>>> Thanks...Peter

Jeff,
Where you able to find anything out about this.
Thanks..Peter
"Jeff Baziuk [MSFT]" <jeffbaz@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I would like to help troubleshoot this issue. Can you turn on logs...
>
> To turn on logs
> 1) Open a command window.
> 2) Type netsh ras set tr * en
> 3) Hit enter
> 4) Reproduce your problem
> 5) Go to %windir% This is your windows directory
> 6) Go to the tracing directory... Normally this is c:\windows\tracing
>
> Send the whole tracing directory to me...
>
> Send to jeffbaz@microsoft.com
>
> --
> Jeff Baziuk
> Microsoft Corporation

> and confers no rights.
>
> "Peter Welk" <peterwelk@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Thanks for your reply. I have a very simple setup. This problem is
>> something related to sp2. Are there any services or network settings
>> which may cause this behavior? The problem again is that the wireless
>> network is connected and working but all the windows related to network
>> connections and status indicate that there is no connection.
>> Thanks...Peter
>>
>> "Pavel A." <pavel_a@geeklife.com> wrote in message
>>> From the information you've given, it's very hard to tell.
>>> Probably, some kind or "adapter switch" utility was installed on your
>>> system
>>> before update to SP2.
>>>
>>> --PA

UNCHECK THE IEEE checkbox in the property settings.