Messed up desktop wallpaper

meljol

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2011
Hello,

I've done something silly. While browsing one of my albums on Picasa, I clicked on one and set it as my wallpaper, WITHOUT saving the image to my PC, and logged out.

Of course, when I try to log back in, the system searches for the desktop wallpaper on the machine, and not finding it, cannot load my user-profile. So I cannot log on anymore.

Is there a way of tweaking the registry entries to change wallpaper information for someone OTHER than the current user, so that I can log in from another user-profile and fix the issue?

Solution
Very interesting... I've never had that happen to me before.

Anyhow, if you can access regedit from this temporary profile, search for a key called Wallpaper (should be somewhere under HKEY_USERS\xxxxx\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Policies\System or something like that). Then point it at a the location of a file you know exists. Be sure to enter the complete path, for example C:\Pictures\Wallpaper1.jpg. Restart and see what happens.

meljol

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2011

Not exactly an error-message. Windows takes an age to log me on after I offer my password, and then when it does, I'm logged into a brand-new spanking-new profile, with an information-balloon at the bottom saying "Windows could not load your user-profile and has logged you on with a temporary profile, which will be deleted when you log out".

Am I sure that is the problem? No.
But the machine was working before I did that, and now it doesn't. The logic seems to be fit, and I haven't been up to any other mischief.

Very interesting... I've never had that happen to me before.

Anyhow, if you can access regedit from this temporary profile, search for a key called Wallpaper (should be somewhere under HKEY_USERS\xxxxx\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Policies\System or something like that). Then point it at a the location of a file you know exists. Be sure to enter the complete path, for example C:\Pictures\Wallpaper1.jpg. Restart and see what happens.

Solution

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
You could log in as another user that is an administrator on the machine and rename the profile folder USERNAME.old. When you log in, it will create you a new profile. You can copy the items from the .old folder into your new profile and be pretty good to go.

meljol

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2011

Thanks Herr_Koos.
Unfortunately, the registry doesn't have user-profile names in HKEY_USERS, so its anyone's guess which one is mine. The "Wallpaper" value was missing in a few profiles and present in most others, so I did the next logical thing, which is to add an entry with the proper path in Value. A reboot flashed a message saying that my copy of Windows 7 is not genuine. Translation, I'm probably better off creating another profile and porting all my data to it :pfff:

Thanks for trying to help, though.

meljol

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2011
Yup. Just that the tinkering with the registry set something off.
Wisely, I've backed-out the registry-changes and created a new user-profile, which I've been happily using for the past few days :)