VPN Connections

I have two computers at two different office locations, both computers are
running Windows XP professional, I also just installed DSL at both locations,
each DSL location has its own static IP address. In simple terms could
someone please tell me how to connect these two computers together so I could
work back and forth on them. Thank You, CeeDub.
3 answers Last reply
More about connections

    See http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_vpn_server.htm for
    information on how to setup a VPN server and
    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_vpn.htm to setup the
    client end...

    Note that if you have a router or firewall, you will need to enable
    PPTP Passthrough and either forward or allow TCP Port 1723 to pass
    through to the server computer.

    http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

    On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 05:41:02 -0700, CeeDub
    <CeeDub@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >I have two computers at two different office locations, both computers are
    >running Windows XP professional, I also just installed DSL at both locations,
    >each DSL location has its own static IP address. In simple terms could
    >someone please tell me how to connect these two computers together so I could
    >work back and forth on them. Thank You, CeeDub.

    I can make the connection now, but that is it, I can't go any further, how
    can I access my files? Thank You

    "Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" wrote:

    > See http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_vpn_server.htm for
    > information on how to setup a VPN server and
    > http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_vpn.htm to setup the
    > client end...
    >
    > Note that if you have a router or firewall, you will need to enable
    > PPTP Passthrough and either forward or allow TCP Port 1723 to pass
    > through to the server computer.
    >

    > Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking & Smart Display MVP)

    > On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 05:41:02 -0700, CeeDub
    > <CeeDub@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > >I have two computers at two different office locations, both computers are
    > >running Windows XP professional, I also just installed DSL at both locations,
    > >each DSL location has its own static IP address. In simple terms could
    > >someone please tell me how to connect these two computers together so I could
    > >work back and forth on them. Thank You, CeeDub.

    You would now acess files in the same way as you would if you were on
    the same LAN (except you can't browse or use network neighborhood).
    Specify \\IPADDRESS\SHARENAME or \\SERVERNAME\SHARENAME

    http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

    On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 02:13:02 -0700, CeeDub
    <CeeDub@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >I can make the connection now, but that is it, I can't go any further, how
    >can I access my files? Thank You
    >
    >"Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" wrote:
    >
    >> See http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_vpn_server.htm for
    >> information on how to setup a VPN server and
    >> http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_vpn.htm to setup the
    >> client end...
    >>
    >> Note that if you have a router or firewall, you will need to enable
    >> PPTP Passthrough and either forward or allow TCP Port 1723 to pass
    >> through to the server computer.
    >>

    >> Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking & Smart Display MVP)
    >> jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com
    >>
    >> Please post all responses to the newsgroups for the benefit
    >> of all USENET users. Messages sent via email may or may not
    >> be answered depending on time availability....
    >>
    >> Remote Networking Technology Support Site -
    >> http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
    >> Windows XP Expert Zone - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    >>
    >> On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 05:41:02 -0700, CeeDub
    >> <CeeDub@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >>
    >> >I have two computers at two different office locations, both computers are
    >> >running Windows XP professional, I also just installed DSL at both locations,
    >> >each DSL location has its own static IP address. In simple terms could
    >> >someone please tell me how to connect these two computers together so I could
    >> >work back and forth on them. Thank You, CeeDub.

Computers Windows XP