Real-time capture card with component I/O?

Hi,

I have to capture from Betacam and record to Betacam with my PC.
The PC is strong enough (1 GB Ram, 2.8GHZ processor, 1 SCSI,
2 IDE HDs etc.). Can you please recommend a card which can handle
these processes? Cheaper is better, if it does a decent job.

Thanks in advance.

--
Boke Yuzgen
11 answers Last reply

    "Boke Yuzgen" wrote ...
    > I have to capture from Betacam and record to Betacam with my PC. The PC is
    > strong enough (1 GB Ram, 2.8GHZ processor, 1 SCSI, 2 IDE HDs etc.). Can
    > you please recommend a card which can handle these processes? Cheaper is
    > better, if it does a decent job.

    What editing software are you using? What file encodings
    (codecs) does it accomodate? Are you going to use DV/AVI
    files or a more professional encoding that doesn't compress
    the component data? Do you understand how much disk
    space those take?

    "Component" almost always means expensive. My guess would
    be that a component capture card will cost at least as much as
    your whole computer, and quite possibly more. I would also
    bet that you don't have enough disk space for even modestly
    compressed component video.

    You can look around in places like www.markertek.com or
    www.promax.com (and many others) to see what component
    capture equipment costs.

    You mean composite connection, not component.

    --Leonid

    Boke Yuzgen <yuzgen@ira.com.tr> wrote:
    : Hi,

    : I have to capture from Betacam and record to Betacam with my PC.
    : The PC is strong enough (1 GB Ram, 2.8GHZ processor, 1 SCSI,
    : 2 IDE HDs etc.). Can you please recommend a card which can handle
    : these processes? Cheaper is better, if it does a decent job.

    : Thanks in advance.

    : --
    : Boke Yuzgen

    > Boke Yuzgen wrote:
    > : I have to capture from Betacam and record to Betacam with my PC.
    > : The PC is strong enough (1 GB Ram, 2.8GHZ processor, 1 SCSI,
    > : 2 IDE HDs etc.). Can you please recommend a card which can handle
    > : these processes? Cheaper is better, if it does a decent job.

    "Leonid Makarovsky" wrote ...
    > You mean composite connection, not component.

    If he is using Betacam, it is quite likely that he really does mean
    component and not composite.

    No, I mean component connection. I need to capture
    from a Betacam deck. I am considering to buy a
    Canopus DVStorm 2 Pro which has a component output
    for Betacam decks, but doesn't have a component
    input to capture from Betacam. I have to buy an
    ADVC-500 with DVStorm in order to have a component
    input, but ADCV-500 is more expensive than DVStorm.
    I wonder if someone knows a decent cheap card which
    has a component input.

    --
    Boke Yuzgen

    On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 08:12:09 -0800, Richard Crowley <rcrowley7@xprt.net>
    wrote:

    > "Boke Yuzgen" wrote ...
    >> I have to capture from Betacam and record to Betacam with my PC. The PC
    >> is
    >> strong enough (1 GB Ram, 2.8GHZ processor, 1 SCSI, 2 IDE HDs etc.). Can
    >> you please recommend a card which can handle these processes? Cheaper is
    >> better, if it does a decent job.
    >
    > What editing software are you using?

    Premiere

    What file encodings
    > (codecs) does it accomodate?

    I use HUFFYUV codec which compresses the video to half
    size with no loss of quality.

    Are you going to use DV/AVI
    > files or a more professional encoding that doesn't compress
    > the component data?

    Currently only DV / AVI files. Planning to use
    uncompressed videos if I can afford a capture card.

    Do you understand how much disk
    > space those take?

    Same as uncompressed AVI?

    > "Component" almost always means expensive. My guess would
    > be that a component capture card will cost at least as much as
    > your whole computer, and quite possibly more.

    I know. I think we will earn the cost of the new hardware
    with the project we currently have on Betacams (4.5 hours of
    video which we shot, will be cut to 20 minute).

    I would also
    > bet that you don't have enough disk space for even modestly
    > compressed component video.

    My PC currently has 74GB SCSI, 160GB IDE, 200GB another IDE.
    Do you think it will be enough?

    > You can look around in places like www.markertek.com or
    > www.promax.com (and many others) to see what component
    > capture equipment costs.

    Thank you. I will, although I live in Turkey.

    --
    Boke Yuzgen

    "Boke Yuzgen" <yuzgen@ira.com.tr> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 08:12:09 -0800, Richard Crowley <rcrowley7@xprt.net>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> "Boke Yuzgen" wrote ...
    >>> I have to capture from Betacam and record to Betacam with my PC. The PC
    >>> is
    >>> strong enough (1 GB Ram, 2.8GHZ processor, 1 SCSI, 2 IDE HDs etc.). Can
    >>> you please recommend a card which can handle these processes? Cheaper is
    >>> better, if it does a decent job.
    >>
    >> What editing software are you using?
    >
    > Premiere
    >
    > What file encodings
    >> (codecs) does it accomodate?
    >
    > I use HUFFYUV codec which compresses the video to half
    > size with no loss of quality.
    >
    > Are you going to use DV/AVI
    >> files or a more professional encoding that doesn't compress
    >> the component data?
    >
    > Currently only DV / AVI files. Planning to use
    > uncompressed videos if I can afford a capture card.
    >
    > Do you understand how much disk
    >> space those take?
    >
    > Same as uncompressed AVI?

    I would expect that it takes more (maybe 2x or 3x more?)

    >> "Component" almost always means expensive. My guess would
    >> be that a component capture card will cost at least as much as
    >> your whole computer, and quite possibly more.
    >
    > I know. I think we will earn the cost of the new hardware
    > with the project we currently have on Betacams (4.5 hours of
    > video which we shot, will be cut to 20 minute).
    >
    > I would also
    >> bet that you don't have enough disk space for even modestly
    >> compressed component video.
    >
    > My PC currently has 74GB SCSI, 160GB IDE, 200GB another IDE. Do you think
    > it will be enough?

    Depends on how much video you expect to keep online. If you
    capture only what you are using to edit, it you may have enough
    space even for component.

    >> You can look around in places like www.markertek.com or
    >> www.promax.com (and many others) to see what component
    >> capture equipment costs.
    >
    > Thank you. I will, although I live in Turkey.

    In international forums like this one, it is helpful to mention where
    you are and what video standards you are using (assumed PAL?)
    There are many people here in Europe, Australia, etc. who have
    more localized knowledge of what is available there.

    On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 08:41:58 -0800, Richard Crowley <rcrowley7@xprt.net>
    wrote:

    > In international forums like this one, it is helpful to mention where
    > you are and what video standards you are using (assumed PAL?)
    > There are many people here in Europe, Australia, etc. who have
    > more localized knowledge of what is available there.

    I guess Turkish people rarely join newsgroups. Unfortunately; I have
    never seen a Turkish person in any newsgroup.

    Turkey is using PAL. TV channels are still requiring BetacamSP to
    broadcast our commercials. People are still insisting using Betacam
    cameras to shoot the video even for a corporate film which won't
    be broadcasted. If it was shot with DV cameras, the project was
    finished now. :(

    --
    Boke Yuzgen

    "Boke Yuzgen" wrote ...
    > I guess Turkish people rarely join newsgroups. Unfortunately; I have
    > never seen a Turkish person in any newsgroup.

    You can learn a lot from these newsgroups (and other web-based
    discussion forums on video production). Good for you to take the
    initiative to come here and ask questions.

    > Turkey is using PAL. TV channels are still requiring BetacamSP to
    > broadcast our commercials. People are still insisting using Betacam
    > cameras to shoot the video even for a corporate film which won't
    > be broadcasted. If it was shot with DV cameras, the project was
    > finished now. :(

    Maybe you can lead the next generation in your country of lower-
    cost DV production that is becoming popular in the rest of the world.

    You might want to re-post your question with more details and
    a more specific subject line like "Budget PAL Component capture
    options" or somesuch. If you mention PAL and/or Europe in the
    subject line, you are more likely to attract the people who will
    have specific experience.

    On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 09:01:58 -0800, Richard Crowley <rcrowley7@xprt.net>
    wrote:

    > You can learn a lot from these newsgroups (and other web-based
    > discussion forums on video production). Good for you to take the
    > initiative to come here and ask questions.

    Thank you. I have been using newsgroups for long years.

    > Maybe you can lead the next generation in your country of lower-
    > cost DV production that is becoming popular in the rest of the world.

    I hope so. ;)

    > You might want to re-post your question with more details and
    > a more specific subject line like "Budget PAL Component capture
    > options" or somesuch. If you mention PAL and/or Europe in the
    > subject line, you are more likely to attract the people who will
    > have specific experience.

    OK, I will. Thanks for the idea. By the way, sorry everyone for
    beginning to post with an answer to the group. I am in a hurry.

    --
    Boke Yuzgen

    Component capture choices are:
    dpsVelocity/Reality (Leitch) http://www2.leitch.com/
    NewTek VideoToaster http://www.newtek.com/
    Matrox DigiSuite http://www.matrox.com/video/products/ds/home.cfm

    Each website has a link to worldwide dealers. These cards are NOT
    inexpensive.

    --
    Larry Johnson
    Digital Video Solutions

    On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 15:20:30 +0200, "Boke Yuzgen" <yuzgen@ira.com.tr>
    wrote:

    >I have to capture from Betacam and record to Betacam with my PC.
    >The PC is strong enough (1 GB Ram, 2.8GHZ processor, 1 SCSI,
    >2 IDE HDs etc.). Can you please recommend a card which can handle
    >these processes? Cheaper is better, if it does a decent job.

    Blackmagic Decklink SP would do the job for you. I think it's only
    $295. Plug-in for Premiere Pro 1.5 and soon (if not out already)
    Vegas 5.

    cheers

    -martin-

    --
    Can the terror of spam be included in the war on terror?

Tuner Cards Components Graphics