Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Depoly Text Doc to 400 PC's

Tags:
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
Share
August 13, 2004 8:57:11 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

I would like to Deploy a text document to about 400 PC's
across 2 subnets. There is routing between the subnets.
This needs to get done with the least possible
administrative effort. They do not have their own Email
accounts.

My thinking so far is to generate a list of all the IP
adresses in Excel and to cut and paste them into a mass
FTP scripted command (some sort of batch file). The
problem is that I am not sure how yet.

There must be a simpler way!?! Some sort of tool
downloadable!

More about : depoly text doc 400

Anonymous
August 14, 2004 7:52:05 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

Grant wrote:
> I would like to Deploy a text document to about 400 PC's
> across 2 subnets. There is routing between the subnets.
> This needs to get done with the least possible
> administrative effort. They do not have their own Email
> accounts.
>
> My thinking so far is to generate a list of all the IP
> adresses in Excel and to cut and paste them into a mass
> FTP scripted command (some sort of batch file). The
> problem is that I am not sure how yet.
>
> There must be a simpler way!?! Some sort of tool
> downloadable!

Why FTP? Is FTP setup on each of these machines?
Do you have admin access or some access to these systems?
Are they in a domain?
Why not copy that file to the machines with simple batch scripts or group
policies?

--
<- Shenan ->
--
The information is provided "as is", with no guarantees of
completeness, accuracy or timeliness, and without warranties of any
kind, express or implied. In other words, read up before you take any
advice - you are the one ultimately responsible for your actions.
August 16, 2004 3:04:27 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

My thinking exactly!, I thought it silly that I had
posted the FTP idea just after I posted.

I have generated a batch script already,using excel to
generate/copy-paste-from a list of IP adresses.
Unfortunately I can't seem to get the copy command to
send to the default share on XP machines.
I am using:
"copy file.txt \\10.10.10.10\Docume~1\All~1
\Docume~1"(example) to get a file into the default all
users Xp share directory dor could I send the file to the
\ADMIN$ or \c$ default shares I recieve a "access denied"
error msg. only If I enable sharing on the machine by
sharing the c:\ do I have the permissions to send the
file, but that means that I would have to do that on
loads of machines to perform this function, which negates
the entire reason for creating the batch file in the
first place! so, I think what I need to know is : what is
the safehaven path that I can send files to, on a
standard XP box? and, how can I send a linking shortcut
to all those box's desktops?

If I were to be allowed the rights to perform this
function in Active Directory (I am still a newbie Admin!)
Would I be able to deploy the document to that it appears
in the users home\My Documents\ folder with a shortcut
pasted into their respective home\Desktop\ Folders?

I will read your post, I am actively commenting on these
newsgroups! (under Pseudonym!)






>-----Original Message-----
>Grant wrote:
>> I would like to Deploy a text document to about 400
PC's
>> across 2 subnets. There is routing between the subnets.
>> This needs to get done with the least possible
>> administrative effort. They do not have their own Email
>> accounts.
>>
>> My thinking so far is to generate a list of all the IP
>> adresses in Excel and to cut and paste them into a mass
>> FTP scripted command (some sort of batch file). The
>> problem is that I am not sure how yet.
>>
>> There must be a simpler way!?! Some sort of tool
>> downloadable!
>
>Why FTP? Is FTP setup on each of these machines?
>Do you have admin access or some access to these systems?
>Are they in a domain?
>Why not copy that file to the machines with simple batch
scripts or group
>policies?
>
>--
><- Shenan ->
>--
>The information is provided "as is", with no guarantees
of
>completeness, accuracy or timeliness, and without
warranties of any
>kind, express or implied. In other words, read up
before you take any
>advice - you are the one ultimately responsible for your
actions.
>
>
>.
>
Anonymous
August 16, 2004 7:12:28 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

Grant wrote:
> My thinking exactly!, I thought it silly that I had
> posted the FTP idea just after I posted.
>
> I have generated a batch script already,using excel to
> generate/copy-paste-from a list of IP adresses.
> Unfortunately I can't seem to get the copy command to
> send to the default share on XP machines.
> I am using:
> "copy file.txt \\10.10.10.10\Docume~1\All~1
> \Docume~1"(example) to get a file into the default all
> users Xp share directory dor could I send the file to the
> \ADMIN$ or \c$ default shares I recieve a "access denied"
> error msg. only If I enable sharing on the machine by
> sharing the c:\ do I have the permissions to send the
> file, but that means that I would have to do that on
> loads of machines to perform this function, which negates
> the entire reason for creating the batch file in the
> first place! so, I think what I need to know is : what is
> the safehaven path that I can send files to, on a
> standard XP box? and, how can I send a linking shortcut
> to all those box's desktops?
>
> If I were to be allowed the rights to perform this
> function in Active Directory (I am still a newbie Admin!)
> Would I be able to deploy the document to that it appears
> in the users home\My Documents\ folder with a shortcut
> pasted into their respective home\Desktop\ Folders?
>
> I will read your post, I am actively commenting on these
> newsgroups! (under Pseudonym!)

Your path should be in quotes so it can be accurate.

copy /y file.txt "\\10.10.10.10\c$\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop"

There is no All Users "My Documents".

If you do not have access to these machines hard drives from your
account/machine you are running the script from where you could just
manually (and without entering a different username/password) map their c$
share, then you cannot run a batch script as simple as the one you are
proposing. There is no default share other than the admin shares for you to
use.

These machines are in a domain? It seems you are inferring they are with
your active directory comment. If they are, then you could even have the
file being copied as part of a startup or logon script from your
\\domaincontroller\netlogon share(s).

--
<- Shenan ->
--
The information is provided "as is", with no guarantees of
completeness, accuracy or timeliness, and without warranties of any
kind, express or implied. In other words, read up before you take any
advice - you are the one ultimately responsible for your actions.
August 16, 2004 7:12:29 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

Thanks, I think I worked around like this...

I'm not sure if I'm doing this right but here is what I
have come up with:

1. On the local LAN I have a Dir named \test shared
2. Created a batch file with the folowing statement in it:
copy /y \\10.10.10.10\test.txt "C:\Documents and
Settings\All Users\Desktop"
3. I run this file from a test machine and it copies the
file over onto it's desktop.

4. Now...
... all I have to do is add a statement in the
Machine Policy login scrips? section in AD GPO's?

...I think I'm almost there and ready to deploy!

I should have thought AD from the beginning!

Thanks


>-----Original Message-----
>Grant wrote:
>> My thinking exactly!, I thought it silly that I had
>> posted the FTP idea just after I posted.
>>
>> I have generated a batch script already,using excel to
>> generate/copy-paste-from a list of IP adresses.
>> Unfortunately I can't seem to get the copy command to
>> send to the default share on XP machines.
>> I am using:
>> "copy file.txt \\10.10.10.10\Docume~1\All~1
>> \Docume~1"(example) to get a file into the default all
>> users Xp share directory dor could I send the file to
the
>> \ADMIN$ or \c$ default shares I recieve a "access
denied"
>> error msg. only If I enable sharing on the machine by
>> sharing the c:\ do I have the permissions to send the
>> file, but that means that I would have to do that on
>> loads of machines to perform this function, which
negates
>> the entire reason for creating the batch file in the
>> first place! so, I think what I need to know is : what
is
>> the safehaven path that I can send files to, on a
>> standard XP box? and, how can I send a linking shortcut
>> to all those box's desktops?
>>
>> If I were to be allowed the rights to perform this
>> function in Active Directory (I am still a newbie
Admin!)
>> Would I be able to deploy the document to that it
appears
>> in the users home\My Documents\ folder with a shortcut
>> pasted into their respective home\Desktop\ Folders?
>>
>> I will read your post, I am actively commenting on
these
>> newsgroups! (under Pseudonym!)
>
>Your path should be in quotes so it can be accurate.
>
>copy /y file.txt "\\10.10.10.10\c$\Documents and
Settings\All Users\Desktop"
>
>There is no All Users "My Documents".
>
>If you do not have access to these machines hard drives
from your
>account/machine you are running the script from where
you could just
>manually (and without entering a different
username/password) map their c$
>share, then you cannot run a batch script as simple as
the one you are
>proposing. There is no default share other than the
admin shares for you to
>use.
>
>These machines are in a domain? It seems you are
inferring they are with
>your active directory comment. If they are, then you
could even have the
>file being copied as part of a startup or logon script
from your
>\\domaincontroller\netlogon share(s).
>
>--
><- Shenan ->
>--
>The information is provided "as is", with no guarantees
of
>completeness, accuracy or timeliness, and without
warranties of any
>kind, express or implied. In other words, read up
before you take any
>advice - you are the one ultimately responsible for your
actions.
>
>
>.
>
!