Want to resize / repartition a Microdrive

Hi,

Just bought a Hitachi Microdrive (4GB) to use in a FujiFilm M-603 camera
but have been informed by FujiFilm support that the largest supported
unit is 1GB. Does anyone know of a way (software utility) to resize /
repartition my 4GB unit so that it appears as 1GB

Thanks

B.

On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 21:57:41 GMT, "as@as.as.com" wrote:

>Just bought a Hitachi Microdrive (4GB) to use in a FujiFilm M-603 camera
>but have been informed by FujiFilm support that the largest supported
>unit is 1GB. Does anyone know of a way (software utility) to resize /
>repartition my 4GB unit so that it appears as 1GB

You can't exchange it for regular 1GB Compact Flash cards?

The MicroDrive is just a Compact Flash card of type II, the less
thick ones are Type I and should be compatible! At any rate the
german test over at
http://www.photoworld2.de/photoworld/portal/tests/ph_tests_site/1,1822,0-146-0-3-0,00.html
seem to conclude the Type I can be used; in the test text ("Bei
Einsatz des CompactFlash-Slots empfiehlt Fujifilm ausdrücklich die
Verwendung dieser kleinen Festplatten, allerdings konnte im Test auch
mit ganz normalen CompactFlash-Karten vom Typ I gearbeitet werden.")
and in the specifiations:

Speichersystem:

Compact Flash Typ 1
Micro-Drive
xD-Picture Card

So... I'd look into getting a (few) regular 1GB CF cards and thus get
the full use of them instead of crippling the 4GB microdrive.

Rolf Egil Sølvik wrote:
> On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 21:57:41 GMT, "as@as.as.com" wrote:
>

>>Just bought a Hitachi Microdrive (4GB) to use in a FujiFilm M-603 camera
>>but have been informed by FujiFilm support that the largest supported
>>unit is 1GB. Does anyone know of a way (software utility) to resize /
>>repartition my 4GB unit so that it appears as 1GB
>

> You can't exchange it for regular 1GB Compact Flash cards?
>
> The MicroDrive is just a Compact Flash card of type II, the less
> thick ones are Type I and should be compatible! At any rate the
> german test over at
> http://www.photoworld2.de/photoworld/portal/tests/ph_tests_site/1,1822,0-146-0-3-0,00.html
> seem to conclude the Type I can be used; in the test text ("Bei
> Einsatz des CompactFlash-Slots empfiehlt Fujifilm ausdrücklich die
> Verwendung dieser kleinen Festplatten, allerdings konnte im Test auch
> mit ganz normalen CompactFlash-Karten vom Typ I gearbeitet werden.")
> and in the specifiations:
>
> Speichersystem:
>
> Compact Flash Typ 1
> Micro-Drive
> xD-Picture Card
>

> So... I'd look into getting a (few) regular 1GB CF cards and thus get
> the full use of them instead of crippling the 4GB microdrive.

Thanks for the response Rolf,

Already have a 1GB Microdrive and this works fine but would like to be
able to use the 4gb device (even crippled) to get some return on the
money I have sent.

I have been able to use the 4GB unit under XP and Solaris 10 x86 using
an adapter but it was bought for the camera, hence the question.

Adios

B.

On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 23:15:23 GMT, "as@as.as.com" wrote:

>Rolf Egil Sølvik wrote:
>> On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 21:57:41 GMT, "as@as.as.com" wrote:
>>
>>>Just bought a Hitachi Microdrive (4GB) to use in a FujiFilm M-603 camera
>>>but have been informed by FujiFilm support that the largest supported
>>>unit is 1GB. Does anyone know of a way (software utility) to resize /
>>>repartition my 4GB unit so that it appears as 1GB
>>
>> You can't exchange it for regular 1GB Compact Flash cards?
>
>> The MicroDrive is just a Compact Flash card of type II, the less
>> thick ones are Type I and should be compatible! At any rate the
>> german test over at
>> http://www.photoworld2.de/photoworld/portal/tests/ph_tests_site/1,1822,0-146-0-3-0,00.html
>> seem to conclude the Type I can be used; in the test text ("Bei
>> Einsatz des CompactFlash-Slots empfiehlt Fujifilm ausdrücklich die
>> Verwendung dieser kleinen Festplatten, allerdings konnte im Test auch
>> mit ganz normalen CompactFlash-Karten vom Typ I gearbeitet werden.")
>> and in the specifiations:
>>
>> Speichersystem:
>>
>> Compact Flash Typ 1
>> Micro-Drive
>> xD-Picture Card
>>

>> So... I'd look into getting a (few) regular 1GB CF cards and thus get
>> the full use of them instead of crippling the 4GB microdrive.
>
>Thanks for the response Rolf,
>
>Already have a 1GB Microdrive and this works fine but would like to be
>able to use the 4gb device (even crippled) to get some return on the
>money I have sent.
>
>I have been able to use the 4GB unit under XP and Solaris 10 x86 using
>an adapter but it was bought for the camera, hence the question.

The microdrive was the fastest CF available when the M603 was
launched, hence the recommendation of it for the digicam.

XP is 32-bit operating system using 32-bit filesystems, a 2GB limit
in your digicam would imply use of FAT16 and not a 32-bit filesystem.

And you cannot get 2 x 2GB instead?

Rolf Egil Sølvik wrote:
> On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 23:15:23 GMT, "as@as.as.com" wrote:
>

>>Rolf Egil Sølvik wrote:

>>>You can't exchange it for regular 1GB Compact Flash cards?
>>
>>>The MicroDrive is just a Compact Flash card of type II, the less
>>>thick ones are Type I and should be compatible! At any rate the
>>>german test over at
>>>http://www.photoworld2.de/photoworld/portal/tests/ph_tests_site/1,1822,0-146-0-3-0,00.html
>>>seem to conclude the Type I can be used; in the test text ("Bei
>>>Einsatz des CompactFlash-Slots empfiehlt Fujifilm ausdrücklich die
>>>Verwendung dieser kleinen Festplatten, allerdings konnte im Test auch
>>>mit ganz normalen CompactFlash-Karten vom Typ I gearbeitet werden.")
>>>and in the specifiations:
>>>
>>>Speichersystem:
>>>
>>>Compact Flash Typ 1
>>>Micro-Drive
>>>xD-Picture Card
>>>

>>>So... I'd look into getting a (few) regular 1GB CF cards and thus get
>>>the full use of them instead of crippling the 4GB microdrive.
>>
>>Thanks for the response Rolf,
>>
>>Already have a 1GB Microdrive and this works fine but would like to be
>>able to use the 4gb device (even crippled) to get some return on the
>>money I have sent.
>>
>>I have been able to use the 4GB unit under XP and Solaris 10 x86 using
>>an adapter but it was bought for the camera, hence the question.
>

> The microdrive was the fastest CF available when the M603 was
> launched, hence the recommendation of it for the digicam.
>
> XP is 32-bit operating system using 32-bit filesystems, a 2GB limit
> in your digicam would imply use of FAT16 and not a 32-bit filesystem.
>
> And you cannot get 2 x 2GB instead?
Thanks again for the reply Rolf,

I agree with your thinking on the the filesystem support and that a
FAT16 F/S is probably what I need. Fuji support state that 1GB is the
largest supported device and what to know what tools are available to
resize the partition. My O/S based tools will not allow this and was
about to try Partition Magic, any comments ?

Adios

B.

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 22:36:48 GMT, "as@as.as.com" wrote:

>I agree with your thinking on the the filesystem support and that a
>FAT16 F/S is probably what I need. Fuji support state that 1GB is the
>largest supported device and what to know what tools are available to
>resize the partition. My O/S based tools will not allow this and was
>about to try Partition Magic, any comments ?

OS based tools, as in the Disk Management in Administrative Tools
under the Control Panel ? I did google for a solution, but only
ended up with questions similiar to yours.

My suggestion is still to exchange it for 1GB CF cards (or possibly
2GB - if the filesystem paramters is the problem; have it tested!),
either from the store where you got it or in any other way.