The Quality of DVD recordings (LP, SP, etc) my results.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
November 24, 2004 5:35:44 PM

I've been running some tests on a Sony DVD Recorder.
I recorded Sky TV (Satellite) on to video tape at LP speed and also
onto the DVD recorders hard drive at LP speed (3 hour rate if
recording to a DVD)
I played back both of them at the same time so I could switch between
the Sony DVD Recorder and the Panasonic VCR.
I found that the DVD recorder at LP gave a softer picture and the VCR
at LP gave a sharper picture.
Any lower quality from LP or lower (EP, SLP) gave a softer picture.
Changing the sharpness control setting on the DVD recorder did not
make the picture any sharper.
Recording at SP made the picture as sharp as the LP recording on VCR.
Recording at a higher Quality setting above SP (such as HQ) did not
show any improvement in the picture quality. I suspect if I had a
bigger screen then my 34 inch TV then I'd notice some difference.

When it comes to cost a 4 hour video tape costs about $4.00 and
recording at LP speed I can get 8 hours of recording.
A DVD-RW costs $4.00 and recording at SP I can only record 2 hours of
video (for my $4.00).
I have not yettried to dub from a recording made on the Hard drive of
the DVD recorder in HQ to an DVD using a quality of LP to see if
there's any improvement in picture quality.

When recording at a lower quality such as EP etc on the Sony DVD
recorder the picture did not breakup for action scenes.

Any comments would be most welcome

Regards Brian

More about : quality dvd recordings results

Anonymous
November 24, 2004 8:04:08 PM

"Brian" <bclark@es.co.nz> wrote in message
> I've been running some tests on a Sony DVD Recorder.
> I recorded Sky TV (Satellite) on to video tape at LP speed and also
> onto the DVD recorders hard drive at LP speed (3 hour rate if
> recording to a DVD)
> I played back both of them at the same time so I could switch between
> the Sony DVD Recorder and the Panasonic VCR.
> I found that the DVD recorder at LP gave a softer picture and the VCR
> at LP gave a sharper picture.
> Any lower quality from LP or lower (EP, SLP) gave a softer picture.
> Changing the sharpness control setting on the DVD recorder did not
> make the picture any sharper.
> Recording at SP made the picture as sharp as the LP recording on VCR.
> Recording at a higher Quality setting above SP (such as HQ) did not
> show any improvement in the picture quality. I suspect if I had a
> bigger screen then my 34 inch TV then I'd notice some difference.
>
> When it comes to cost a 4 hour video tape costs about $4.00 and
> recording at LP speed I can get 8 hours of recording.
> A DVD-RW costs $4.00 and recording at SP I can only record 2 hours of
> video (for my $4.00).
> I have not yettried to dub from a recording made on the Hard drive of
> the DVD recorder in HQ to an DVD using a quality of LP to see if
> there's any improvement in picture quality.
>
> When recording at a lower quality such as EP etc on the Sony DVD
> recorder the picture did not breakup for action scenes.
>
> Any comments would be most welcome

You can buy DVD-Rs for under $0.50.
November 25, 2004 4:50:04 PM

"FLY135" <fly_135(@ hot not not)notmail.com> wrote:

>"Brian" <bclark@es.co.nz> wrote in message
>> I've been running some tests on a Sony DVD Recorder.
>> I recorded Sky TV (Satellite) on to video tape at LP speed and also
>> onto the DVD recorders hard drive at LP speed (3 hour rate if
>> recording to a DVD)
>> I played back both of them at the same time so I could switch between
>> the Sony DVD Recorder and the Panasonic VCR.
>> I found that the DVD recorder at LP gave a softer picture and the VCR
>> at LP gave a sharper picture.
>> Any lower quality from LP or lower (EP, SLP) gave a softer picture.
>> Changing the sharpness control setting on the DVD recorder did not
>> make the picture any sharper.
>> Recording at SP made the picture as sharp as the LP recording on VCR.
>> Recording at a higher Quality setting above SP (such as HQ) did not
>> show any improvement in the picture quality. I suspect if I had a
>> bigger screen then my 34 inch TV then I'd notice some difference.
>>
>> When it comes to cost a 4 hour video tape costs about $4.00 and
>> recording at LP speed I can get 8 hours of recording.
>> A DVD-RW costs $4.00 and recording at SP I can only record 2 hours of
>> video (for my $4.00).
>> I have not yettried to dub from a recording made on the Hard drive of
>> the DVD recorder in HQ to an DVD using a quality of LP to see if
>> there's any improvement in picture quality.
>>
>> When recording at a lower quality such as EP etc on the Sony DVD
>> recorder the picture did not breakup for action scenes.
>>
>> Any comments would be most welcome
>
>You can buy DVD-Rs for under $0.50.

That is a good price if they are reliable.
In New Zealand a pack of 25 disks now costs $25 (1$ per DVD) it's a
cheap brand and seems to be reliable.

Regards Brian

!