Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hi,
Is there any difference for remote desktop whether you
upgrade your machine from win2k to XP pro or do a fresh xp
installation?
It seems even though all settings are identical, I can
logon using remote desktop to all XP with fresh
installation but not to those which has been upgraded from
win2k to XP.

Any idea?
Thanks-Rob

Yes there is. There's a policy setting which seems to be a problem on the
2k upgrades. Can you refresh my memory about the exact error message you
see?

I've got a machine with this issue now, and haven't dug the reference out,
but I'll do some more digging now.

"Rob" <rob@nul.ca> wrote in message
> Hi,
> Is there any difference for remote desktop whether you
> upgrade your machine from win2k to XP pro or do a fresh xp
> installation?
> It seems even though all settings are identical, I can
> logon using remote desktop to all XP with fresh
> installation but not to those which has been upgraded from
> win2k to XP.
>
> Any idea?
> Thanks-Rob

Try this:

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=windows+2000+xp+upgrade+rdp+policy+setting&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&c2coff=1&selm=uP4%24nh1GEHA.2844%40TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl&rnum=1

I'm gonna check out my problem box now (In fact, I'm typing on it now--it's
a laptop.)

"Rob" <rob@nul.ca> wrote in message
> Hi,
> Is there any difference for remote desktop whether you
> upgrade your machine from win2k to XP pro or do a fresh xp
> installation?
> It seems even though all settings are identical, I can
> logon using remote desktop to all XP with fresh
> installation but not to those which has been upgraded from
> win2k to XP.
>
> Any idea?
> Thanks-Rob

Confirmation: That's the one--it works!

(I've spouted that advice for some months at least, but it had been a while,
and I didn't recall the right article when I ran into it in person. You can
bet I'll remember it now!)

"Bill Sanderson" <Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> wrote in message
> Try this:
>
> http://groups.google.com/groups?q=windows+2000+xp+upgrade+rdp+policy+setting&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&c2coff=1&selm=uP4%24nh1GEHA.2844%40TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl&rnum=1
>
> I'm gonna check out my problem box now (In fact, I'm typing on it
> now--it's a laptop.)

Hi Rob,

Thank you for posting!

If the error message is the same as Bill mentioned:

The local policy of this system does not permit you to logon interactively.

Besides the suggestion from group.google.com. There are some other articles
in Microsoft knowledge base which might be helpful.

826903 "The local policy of this system does not permit you to logon
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=826903

289289 Remote desktop connection "The local policy of this system does not
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=289289

Have a nice day!

Thanks & Regards,

Feng Mao [MSFT], MCSE
Microsoft Online Partner Support

--------------------
| From: "Rob" <rob@nul.ca>
| Sender: "Rob" <rob@nul.ca>
| Subject: Remote Desktop question
| Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 07:19:02 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely
|
| Hi,
| Is there any difference for remote desktop whether you
| upgrade your machine from win2k to XP pro or do a fresh xp
| installation?
| It seems even though all settings are identical, I can
| logon using remote desktop to all XP with fresh
| installation but not to those which has been upgraded from
| win2k to XP.
|
| Any idea?
| Thanks-Rob

Thanks--that first one is new to me.

"Feng Mao" <fengmao@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi Rob,
>
> Thank you for posting!
>
> If the error message is the same as Bill mentioned:
>
> The local policy of this system does not permit you to logon
> interactively.
>
> Besides the suggestion from group.google.com. There are some other
> articles
> in Microsoft knowledge base which might be helpful.
>
> 826903 "The local policy of this system does not permit you to logon
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=826903
>
> 289289 Remote desktop connection "The local policy of this system does not
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=289289
>
> Have a nice day!
>
> Thanks & Regards,
>
> Feng Mao [MSFT], MCSE
> Microsoft Online Partner Support

> rights.
>

> --------------------
> | From: "Rob" <rob@nul.ca>
> | Sender: "Rob" <rob@nul.ca>
> | Subject: Remote Desktop question
> | Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 07:19:02 -0700
> | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely
> |
> | Hi,
> | Is there any difference for remote desktop whether you
> | upgrade your machine from win2k to XP pro or do a fresh xp
> | installation?
> | It seems even though all settings are identical, I can
> | logon using remote desktop to all XP with fresh
> | installation but not to those which has been upgraded from
> | win2k to XP.
> |
> | Any idea?
> | Thanks-Rob

Glad to hear this! :)

Have a nice day!

Thanks & Regards,

Feng Mao [MSFT], MCSE
Microsoft Online Partner Support

--------------------
| From: "Bill Sanderson" <Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org>
| Subject: Re: Remote Desktop question
| Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 12:59:14 -0400
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely
|
| Thanks--that first one is new to me.
|
| "Feng Mao" <fengmao@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| > Hi Rob,
| >
| > Thank you for posting!
| >
| > If the error message is the same as Bill mentioned:
| >
| > The local policy of this system does not permit you to logon
| > interactively.
| >
| > Besides the suggestion from group.google.com. There are some other
| > articles
| > in Microsoft knowledge base which might be helpful.
| >
| > 826903 "The local policy of this system does not permit you to logon
| > http://support.microsoft.com/?id=826903
| >
| > 289289 Remote desktop connection "The local policy of this system does
not
| > http://support.microsoft.com/?id=289289
| >
| > Have a nice day!
| >
| > Thanks & Regards,
| >
| > Feng Mao [MSFT], MCSE
| > Microsoft Online Partner Support

| > =====================================================
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
| > =====================================================
| > rights.
| >

| > --------------------
| > | From: "Rob" <rob@nul.ca>
| > | Sender: "Rob" <rob@nul.ca>
| > | Subject: Remote Desktop question
| > | Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 07:19:02 -0700
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely
| > |
| > | Hi,
| > | Is there any difference for remote desktop whether you
| > | upgrade your machine from win2k to XP pro or do a fresh xp
| > | installation?
| > | It seems even though all settings are identical, I can
| > | logon using remote desktop to all XP with fresh
| > | installation but not to those which has been upgraded from
| > | win2k to XP.
| > |
| > | Any idea?
| > | Thanks-Rob