From a DVD recorder recording to the computer hard drive ?

Brian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

If I made a recording from my DV camera using a DVD recorder then I
put the DVD+R disk into the computer's DVD drive to rip the recording
to my hard drive, would there be any loss in quality if I edited the
video then wrote it back to DVD?

There are limited editing on DVD recorders so it would be useful to
edit a video on the computer.

Regards Brian

Brian <bclark@es.co.nz> wrote:
> If I made a recording from my DV camera using a DVD recorder then I
> put the DVD+R disk into the computer's DVD drive to rip the recording
> to my hard drive, would there be any loss in quality if I edited the
> video then wrote it back to DVD?
>
> There are limited editing on DVD recorders so it would be useful to
> edit a video on the computer.
>
> Regards Brian

There will most definitely be a quality loss. Camcorder video (miniDV) is
already compressed at 5:1. When you burn it to a DVD, it's further
compressed (anywhere from another 5:1 or more). Than, after you rip it back
to your hard drive, edit and re-burn, you'll be compressing it again. You
won't be happy with the final result :-(
Do yourself a huge favour and invest in a firewire card & cable. Prices in
your part of the world should be comparable to up here in Canada which means
in the $50 range. You'll be much happier with the finished product.

Mike

"Mike Kujbida" <kujfam-misleadingspam@sympatico.ca> wrote in message

> Brian <bclark@es.co.nz> wrote:
>> If I made a recording from my DV camera using a DVD recorder then I
>> put the DVD+R disk into the computer's DVD drive to rip the recording
>> to my hard drive, would there be any loss in quality if I edited the
>> video then wrote it back to DVD?
>>
>> There are limited editing on DVD recorders so it would be useful to
>> edit a video on the computer.
>>
>> Regards Brian
>

> There will most definitely be a quality loss. Camcorder video (miniDV) is
> already compressed at 5:1. When you burn it to a DVD, it's further
> compressed (anywhere from another 5:1 or more). Than, after you rip it
> back
> to your hard drive, edit and re-burn, you'll be compressing it again. You
> won't be happy with the final result :-(
> Do yourself a huge favour and invest in a firewire card & cable. Prices
> in
> your part of the world should be comparable to up here in Canada which
> means
> in the $50 range. You'll be much happier with the finished product.
>
> Mike

The kind of "editing" that you will want to do to your
DV Camera's footage (or should that be ? video?) ,
will have to be done in a low compression format, as
Mike suggests.

If you were able to remain in DVD compliant MPEG
the whole time, then there would be no noticeable loss.
If you were just cutting out commercials and Authoring
a new "edited" DVD, there would be no problem. I
would use DVD+RW disks for the transfer though.

Luck
Ken

Brian wrote:

> If I made a recording from my DV camera using a DVD recorder then I
> put the DVD+R disk into the computer's DVD drive to rip the recording
> to my hard drive, would there be any loss in quality if I edited the
> video then wrote it back to DVD?
>
> There are limited editing on DVD recorders so it would be useful to
> edit a video on the computer.

I don't think you can "rip" the recording to your hard drive and then
edit it. The way you copy a DVD to your hard drive is to make a copy of
the Video TS folder. This is not an editable commodity.

What everyone is trying to tell you is that is not how you want to edit
your videos anyway. What you normally do is capture the video to your
hard drive via firewire, then edit in some editing program such as
Premiere, then make a DVD from that, with menus, chapters, and
everything, as desired. For that you need a DVD authoring program such
as Encore or DVDit or DVD Workshop or a number of others. Just get into
it, and it will become easier as you go.

Gary Eickmeier

Brian wrote:
> If I made a recording from my DV camera using a DVD recorder then I put
> the DVD+R disk into the computer's DVD drive to rip the recording to my
> hard drive, would there be any loss in quality if I edited the video then
> wrote it back to DVD?

I would be tat there would be significant loss of quality. DVDs use
much more compression than DV and recording to DVD, ripping,
converting to something editable, and then compressing back to
DVD may make unwatchable hash out of your video.
*Not Recommended!*

> There are limited editing on DVD recorders so it would be useful to edit a
> video on the computer.

The conventional process is to transfer from DV camera to
computer, edit, and THEN write to DVD. There are very very
good reasons why most of us use that sequence.

>Brian wrote:
>
> If I made a recording from my DV camera using a DVD recorder then I
> put the DVD+R disk into the computer's DVD drive to rip the recording
> to my hard drive, would there be any loss in quality if I edited the
> video then wrote it back to DVD?

Yes.

If you want to edit the video, dump it to the hard drive via the
Firewire connection on your DV camera, edit it, THEN encode the video
to MPEG and burn it to disc.

Neil Nadelman arvy@navzr-genafyngbe.pbz (ROT13)
I have no fears in life,
for I have already survived Theta-G!

Brian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

Gary Eickmeier <geickmei@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:

>Brian wrote:
>
>> If I made a recording from my DV camera using a DVD recorder then I
>> put the DVD+R disk into the computer's DVD drive to rip the recording
>> to my hard drive, would there be any loss in quality if I edited the
>> video then wrote it back to DVD?
>>
>> There are limited editing on DVD recorders so it would be useful to
>> edit a video on the computer.
>
>I don't think you can "rip" the recording to your hard drive and then
>edit it. The way you copy a DVD to your hard drive is to make a copy of
>the Video TS folder. This is not an editable commodity.
>
>What everyone is trying to tell you is that is not how you want to edit
>your videos anyway. What you normally do is capture the video to your
>hard drive via firewire, then edit in some editing program such as
>Premiere, then make a DVD from that, with menus, chapters, and
>everything, as desired. For that you need a DVD authoring program such
>as Encore or DVDit or DVD Workshop or a number of others. Just get into
>it, and it will become easier as you go.
>
>Gary Eickmeier

Thanks Gary and others for your reply.
On the DVD recorder I can dub from the DVD disk to the recorders hard
drive with no loss in video quality, so I wad wondering why I can't do
the same with my computer?

Regards Brian

"Brian" <bclark@es.co.nz> wrote in message
> Thanks Gary and others for your reply.
> On the DVD recorder I can dub from the DVD disk to the recorders hard
> drive with no loss in video quality, so I wad wondering why I can't do
> the same with my computer?

You take a significant quality hit the moment you encode
for DVD. You can't recover that through any amount of
trickery involving a computer (or not).