Why can I not connect with Remote Desktop?

When I try to log onto my pc using Remote Desktop from
another computer, I get the message, "The local policy of
this system does not permit you to logon interactively."
I am using an account that is part of the administrators
group, as well as the remote desktop users group. I am
using Windows XP Pro. Does anybody have any ideas what is
going on? Thanks.

Does the account have a password set? If not, set one.

There's also a policy setting which may be involved, but it isn't coming to
mind at the moment, nor did it the last time I ran into this in person!

If you've got a password, write back, and maybe somebody else can find us
the policy setting, or I can dig it out of my collected tips--my
recollection is that the policy setting tends to come up on Windows 2000
upgraded to XP machines.

"Harry Keck" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I try to log onto my pc using Remote Desktop from
> another computer, I get the message, "The local policy of
> this system does not permit you to logon interactively."
> I am using an account that is part of the administrators
> group, as well as the remote desktop users group. I am
> using Windows XP Pro. Does anybody have any ideas what is
> going on? Thanks.

On the computer you need to connect to:

Control Panel >> System
Click the "Remote" tab
Check "Allow users to connect remotely to this computer"
Also check "Allow Remote Assistance invitations to be sent from this computer"

"Harry Keck" wrote:

> When I try to log onto my pc using Remote Desktop from
> another computer, I get the message, "The local policy of
> this system does not permit you to logon interactively."
> I am using an account that is part of the administrators
> group, as well as the remote desktop users group. I am
> using Windows XP Pro. Does anybody have any ideas what is
> going on? Thanks.

Yes, I do have a password set. Also, I am pretty sure that this machine was
not an upgrade from 2000.

"Bill Sanderson" wrote:

> Does the account have a password set? If not, set one.
>
> There's also a policy setting which may be involved, but it isn't coming to
> mind at the moment, nor did it the last time I ran into this in person!
>
> If you've got a password, write back, and maybe somebody else can find us
> the policy setting, or I can dig it out of my collected tips--my
> recollection is that the policy setting tends to come up on Windows 2000
> upgraded to XP machines.
>

> "Harry Keck" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > When I try to log onto my pc using Remote Desktop from
> > another computer, I get the message, "The local policy of
> > this system does not permit you to logon interactively."
> > I am using an account that is part of the administrators
> > group, as well as the remote desktop users group. I am
> > using Windows XP Pro. Does anybody have any ideas what is
> > going on? Thanks.

I have both of these options selected.

"Shadow" wrote:

> On the computer you need to connect to:
>
> Control Panel >> System
> Click the "Remote" tab
> Check "Allow users to connect remotely to this computer"
> Also check "Allow Remote Assistance invitations to be sent from this computer"
>
> "Harry Keck" wrote:
>
> > When I try to log onto my pc using Remote Desktop from
> > another computer, I get the message, "The local policy of
> > this system does not permit you to logon interactively."
> > I am using an account that is part of the administrators
> > group, as well as the remote desktop users group. I am
> > using Windows XP Pro. Does anybody have any ideas what is
> > going on? Thanks.

Here are some ideas:

Let us know what works.

In the upgrade case, I have found the issue often is a registry key
described in this thread:

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=windows+2000+xp+upgrade+rdp+policy+setting&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&c2coff=1&selm=uP4%24nh1GEHA.2844%40TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl&rnum=1

Microsoft Staff Feng Mao has provided this response to a similar query:
---------------------------
Thank you for posting!

If the error message is the same as Bill mentioned:

The local policy of this system does not permit you to logon interactively.

Besides the suggestion from group.google.com. There are some other articles
in Microsoft knowledge base which might be helpful.

826903 "The local policy of this system does not permit you to logon
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=826903

289289 Remote desktop connection "The local policy of this system does not
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=289289

Have a nice day!

Thanks & Regards,

Feng Mao [MSFT], MCSE
Microsoft Online Partner Support

"Harry Keck" <HarryKeck@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Yes, I do have a password set. Also, I am pretty sure that this machine
> was
> not an upgrade from 2000.
>
> "Bill Sanderson" wrote:
>
>> Does the account have a password set? If not, set one.
>>
>> There's also a policy setting which may be involved, but it isn't coming
>> mind at the moment, nor did it the last time I ran into this in person!
>>
>> If you've got a password, write back, and maybe somebody else can find us
>> the policy setting, or I can dig it out of my collected tips--my
>> recollection is that the policy setting tends to come up on Windows 2000
>> upgraded to XP machines.
>>

>> "Harry Keck" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > When I try to log onto my pc using Remote Desktop from
>> > another computer, I get the message, "The local policy of
>> > this system does not permit you to logon interactively."
>> > I am using an account that is part of the administrators
>> > group, as well as the remote desktop users group. I am
>> > using Windows XP Pro. Does anybody have any ideas what is
>> > going on? Thanks.

I think that the info from the google post actually worked. When I logged on
from Remote Desktop I got an error about the security log being full, but it
let me log on anyway. Here is what I did. Thanks, Bill.

Start->Run, "gpedit.msc"

"Bill Sanderson" wrote:

> Here are some ideas:
>
> Let us know what works.
>
> In the upgrade case, I have found the issue often is a registry key
> described in this thread:
>
> http://groups.google.com/groups?q=windows+2000+xp+upgrade+rdp+policy+setting&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&c2coff=1&selm=uP4%24nh1GEHA.2844%40TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl&rnum=1
>
> Microsoft Staff Feng Mao has provided this response to a similar query:
> ---------------------------
> Thank you for posting!
>
> If the error message is the same as Bill mentioned:
>
> The local policy of this system does not permit you to logon interactively.
>
> Besides the suggestion from group.google.com. There are some other articles
> in Microsoft knowledge base which might be helpful.
>
> 826903 "The local policy of this system does not permit you to logon
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=826903
>
> 289289 Remote desktop connection "The local policy of this system does not
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=289289
>
> Have a nice day!
>
> Thanks & Regards,
>
> Feng Mao [MSFT], MCSE
> Microsoft Online Partner Support

> "Harry Keck" <HarryKeck@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Yes, I do have a password set. Also, I am pretty sure that this machine
> > was
> > not an upgrade from 2000.
> >
> > "Bill Sanderson" wrote:
> >
> >> Does the account have a password set? If not, set one.
> >>
> >> There's also a policy setting which may be involved, but it isn't coming
> >> mind at the moment, nor did it the last time I ran into this in person!
> >>
> >> If you've got a password, write back, and maybe somebody else can find us
> >> the policy setting, or I can dig it out of my collected tips--my
> >> recollection is that the policy setting tends to come up on Windows 2000
> >> upgraded to XP machines.
> >>

> >> "Harry Keck" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Terrific--I'm not sure what other circumstances besides a windows 2000
upgrade can create that issue, but I'm glad that did it for you. Seems to
me that this is common enough to deserve a KB article.