VHS to DVD Advice?? (DV500 thoughts?)

I've been trying for years to transfer my VHS videos to DVD format but have
always had problems (most recently involving an A/V sync problem). Last week, I
ordered a new relatively high-end PC (spec at bottom) so I could get the job
done. However, upon delivery, I was told that the graphics card requested (ATI
AIW x800) was for games so a Pinnacle DV500 DVD had been included instead.
There was an external 'box' with composite connections so it looked ideal.

However, I have noticed that it doesn't work with Premiere Pro (which I had
bought previously). Furthermore, I need to load the 'driver software?' before
it will load in Pinnacle Studio - and the audio still lags slightly behind the
video. Microsoft Movie Maker doesn't appear to recognise it at all. Therefore,
all the software that I was hoping to use doesn't seem to work.

Indeed, even the bundled software (Premiere 6.5) doesn't seem to recognise
analogue video. Although I haven't really learnt how to use Premiere Pro yet,
it doesn't seem to be nearly as good!! My sister has Premiere Elements on her
laptop - would that work with DV500 DVD??

Therefore, I'd really like to get some advice. The guy that sold me the
computer says that it's designed to convert analogue to digital but I'm not
having much success. I tried to call Pinnacle but they put me on hold for 20
minutes on a premium number - i gave up after that.

1. Should I stick with the DV500 DVD or ask for an alternative. I originally
asked for an ATI x800 AIW because it seemed to be the business (but I did
suspect that it was a gamers card). How does the ATI compare?? Is there another
alternative - such as the ATI 9800??

2. Assuming that the DV500 DVD is a good card (and can work with the
aforementioned software), what am I doing wrong? I'm a complete newbie when it
comes to video-editing but I've read that codecs(?) play an important role.
Could there be a conflict??

I've done my best to get a computer for video editing and am finding it very
frustrating now it's still now working. I would be extremely grateful for any
advice!!

Niall

Spec of computer:
3.2 Intel
Audigy 2 sound-card
1gb RAM
PCI-Express Motherboard
2 HD - 200gb in total
nvidea 3D card
Pinnacle DV500 DVD
Windows XP

On 24 Nov 2004 16:45:20 GMT, niallbruce@aol.com (NIALLBRUCE) wrote:

>I've been trying for years to transfer my VHS videos to DVD format but have
>always had problems (most recently involving an A/V sync problem). Last week, I
>ordered a new relatively high-end PC (spec at bottom) so I could get the job
>done. However, upon delivery, I was told that the graphics card requested (ATI
>AIW x800) was for games so a Pinnacle DV500 DVD had been included instead.
>There was an external 'box' with composite connections so it looked ideal.
>
>However, I have noticed that it doesn't work with Premiere Pro (which I had
>bought previously). Furthermore, I need to load the 'driver software?' before
>it will load in Pinnacle Studio - and the audio still lags slightly behind the
>video. Microsoft Movie Maker doesn't appear to recognise it at all. Therefore,
>all the software that I was hoping to use doesn't seem to work.
>
>Indeed, even the bundled software (Premiere 6.5) doesn't seem to recognise
>analogue video. Although I haven't really learnt how to use Premiere Pro yet,
>it doesn't seem to be nearly as good!! My sister has Premiere Elements on her
>laptop - would that work with DV500 DVD??
>
>Therefore, I'd really like to get some advice. The guy that sold me the
>computer says that it's designed to convert analogue to digital but I'm not
>having much success. I tried to call Pinnacle but they put me on hold for 20
>minutes on a premium number - i gave up after that.
>
>1. Should I stick with the DV500 DVD or ask for an alternative. I originally
>asked for an ATI x800 AIW because it seemed to be the business (but I did
>suspect that it was a gamers card). How does the ATI compare?? Is there another
>alternative - such as the ATI 9800??
>
>2. Assuming that the DV500 DVD is a good card (and can work with the
>aforementioned software), what am I doing wrong? I'm a complete newbie when it
>comes to video-editing but I've read that codecs(?) play an important role.
>Could there be a conflict??
>
>I've done my best to get a computer for video editing and am finding it very
>frustrating now it's still now working. I would be extremely grateful for any
>advice!!
>
>Niall
>
>Spec of computer:
>3.2 Intel
>Audigy 2 sound-card
>1gb RAM
>PCI-Express Motherboard
>2 HD - 200gb in total
>nvidea 3D card
>Pinnacle DV500 DVD
>Windows XP

The DV500 does probably not work with Premiere Elements, but you can
try it without risk. Premiere 6.5 should work fine.

You certainly can stick with the DV500 as it does a good job in
converting to dv-avi. An AIW is a card with much more functionality,
but is less focussed on capturing and editing video and hasn't the
integration with Premiere that the DV500 has.

Unfortunately things can go wrong in trying to get the DV500 working
on a system, please stick exactly to the procedure given by Pinnacle
and it should work. It will install a necessary codec. To avoid
conflicts you can try it on a clean system.

On 24 Nov 2004 16:45:20 GMT, niallbruce@aol.com (NIALLBRUCE) wrote:

>I've been trying for years to transfer my VHS videos to DVD format but have
>always had problems (most recently involving an A/V sync problem).

Honestly, I slved my VHS to DVD problems by buying a Canopus ADVC-100
box. It's a hardware DV encoder which guarantees audio sync and the
capture is easy and requires no additional driver software to run.
When you pair it with a capture program like Scenalyzer Live, you get
a very powerful capture and output system.
Neil Nadelman arvy@navzr-genafyngbe.pbz (ROT13)
I have no fears in life,
for I have already survived Theta-G!