I can make VPN IPSec connection between SSH Sentinal and
Linksys Router. Cannot access computers behind the
router. Cannot 'route add.' Don't understand 'metric'
or 'interface' values needed.

Thanks for any help.

Sam

Interface refers to which network interface you are using. If you do
a "route print" command, then you will see a list of interfaces (and
the number) at the top.

Metric describes the "cost" for the path. If you attempt to make a
connection to a particular network, it will attempt the lowest "cost"
route first. Thus, the closer the metric value is to 1, the more
likely it is to be used. For instance, you can have a remote network
accessible via two different interfaces. You would assign the metric
value that will state which interface should be used over the over.

See http://www.tcpipprimer.com/routing.cfm for more information.

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 22:05:22 -0700, "Sam Williams" <1sam@io.com>
wrote:

>I can make VPN IPSec connection between SSH Sentinal and
>Linksys Router. Cannot access computers behind the
>router. Cannot 'route add.' Don't understand 'metric'
>or 'interface' values needed.
>
>Thanks for any help.
>
>Sam

Jeffrey,
Thank you that makes it clearer. Does not solve my
problem. With your earlier help (reference to
http://www.homenethelp.com/vpn/router-linksys.asp) I can
reliably establish a VPN connection from home (XP Pro on
dialup connection) to Linksys Router (with static IP on
cable modem) using SSH Sentinel. But, can not access
computer behind the router.

Issuing Route add 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0 [router IP]
(per the reference above) produces error message
interface index wrong or gateway does not lie on same
network as the interface.

I don't know if the problem lies with router setup (that
conforms to "router-linksys" page referenced above), with
SSH Sentinel or with my routing instructions.

Thanks for your help.

Sam

benefit
>of all USENET users. Messages sent via email may or may
not
>be answered depending on time availability....
>
>Remote Networking Technology Support Site -
>http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
>Windows XP Expert Zone -
>
>On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 22:05:22 -0700, "Sam Williams"
<1sam@io.com>
>wrote:
>
>>I can make VPN IPSec connection between SSH Sentinal
and
>>Linksys Router. Cannot access computers behind the
>>router. Cannot 'route add.' Don't understand 'metric'
>>or 'interface' values needed.
>>
>>Thanks for any help.
>>
>>Sam
>
>.

Do the route print command. It will give you the list of interfaces
and the number you need to use to setup the route add command..

You are looking for the SSH tunnel interace hex code...

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 21:28:28 -0700, "Sam Williams" <1sam@io.com>
wrote:

>Jeffrey,
>Thank you that makes it clearer. Does not solve my
>problem. With your earlier help (reference to
>http://www.homenethelp.com/vpn/router-linksys.asp) I can
>reliably establish a VPN connection from home (XP Pro on
>dialup connection) to Linksys Router (with static IP on
>cable modem) using SSH Sentinel. But, can not access
>computer behind the router.
>
>Issuing Route add 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0 [router IP]
>(per the reference above) produces error message
>interface index wrong or gateway does not lie on same
>network as the interface.
>
>I don't know if the problem lies with router setup (that
>conforms to "router-linksys" page referenced above), with
>SSH Sentinel or with my routing instructions.
>
>Thanks for your help.
>
>Sam

Hi Sam.
I'm curious, where did you get your copy of SSH sentinel. I'm looking
to get my self a copy but I believe it has been discontinue. Any info
would be appreciated.

"Sam Williams" <1sam@io.com> wrote in message news:<616b01c481bc$4d245d00$a601280a@phx.gbl>...
> I can make VPN IPSec connection between SSH Sentinal and
> Linksys Router. Cannot access computers behind the
> router. Cannot 'route add.' Don't understand 'metric'
> or 'interface' values needed.
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> Sam

It's available at
http://www.pcmall.com/pcmall/shop/detail.asp?dpno=137828&store=pcmall&source=pwbgugl&adcampaign=email,pwbgugl

On 2 Sep 2004 16:34:41 -0700, warpman999@netscape.net (warpman) wrote:

>Hi Sam.
>I'm curious, where did you get your copy of SSH sentinel. I'm looking
>to get my self a copy but I believe it has been discontinue. Any info
>would be appreciated.
>

>"Sam Williams" <1sam@io.com> wrote in message news:<616b01c481bc$4d245d00$a601280a@phx.gbl>...
>> I can make VPN IPSec connection between SSH Sentinal and
>> Linksys Router. Cannot access computers behind the
>> router. Cannot 'route add.' Don't understand 'metric'
>> or 'interface' values needed.
>>
>> Thanks for any help.
>>
>> Sam

Hi Jeff. Thanks for the info...

"Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" wrote:

> It's available at
> http://www.pcmall.com/pcmall/shop/detail.asp?dpno=137828&store=pcmall&source=pwbgugl&adcampaign=email,pwbgugl
>
> Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking & Smart Display MVP)

> On 2 Sep 2004 16:34:41 -0700, warpman999@netscape.net (warpman) wrote:
>
> >Hi Sam.
> >I'm curious, where did you get your copy of SSH sentinel. I'm looking
> >to get my self a copy but I believe it has been discontinue. Any info
> >would be appreciated.
> >

> >"Sam Williams" <1sam@io.com> wrote in message news:<616b01c481bc$4d245d00$a601280a@phx.gbl>...
> >> I can make VPN IPSec connection between SSH Sentinal and
> >> Linksys Router. Cannot access computers behind the
> >> router. Cannot 'route add.' Don't understand 'metric'
> >> or 'interface' values needed.
> >>
> >> Thanks for any help.
> >>
> >> Sam

Glad it worked for ya... :)