From analog movie camera to DVD

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 24, 2004 9:00:00 PM

I have an analog Canon HI8 video camera, and I recorded some tape.
I converted some of them to VHS tapes, and I am satisfied with the resulting
quality.
Now, I want to convert them to DVD, with a quality at least equal to VHS, at
the lowest possible cost.
Would a Dazzle 80 be enough? If not, what do you recommend? If yes, is there
something even cheaper you would recommend?
My PC is AMD, 1900+ overclocked to 3000+ (!), HD Hitachi-IBM 120 GB 2 MB
cache 5400 rpm.

AS
Anonymous
November 24, 2004 9:01:17 PM

"Amedeo Storni" <astorni@softhome.net> wrote in message
> I have an analog Canon HI8 video camera, and I recorded some tape.
> I converted some of them to VHS tapes, and I am satisfied with the
resulting
> quality.
> Now, I want to convert them to DVD, with a quality at least equal to VHS,
at
> the lowest possible cost.
> Would a Dazzle 80 be enough? If not, what do you recommend? If yes, is
there
> something even cheaper you would recommend?
> My PC is AMD, 1900+ overclocked to 3000+ (!), HD Hitachi-IBM 120 GB 2 MB
> cache 5400 rpm.

Forgot, I want to use USB 2.0.

AS
Anonymous
November 25, 2004 12:41:55 AM

> "Amedeo Storni" <astorni@softhome.net> wrote in message
> > I have an analog Canon HI8 video camera, and I recorded some tape.
> > I converted some of them to VHS tapes, and I am satisfied with the
> resulting
> > quality.
> > Now, I want to convert them to DVD, with a quality at least equal to
VHS,
> at
> > the lowest possible cost.
> > Would a Dazzle 80 be enough? If not, what do you recommend? If yes, is
> there
> > something even cheaper you would recommend?
> > My PC is AMD, 1900+ overclocked to 3000+ (!), HD Hitachi-IBM 120 GB 2 MB
> > cache 5400 rpm.
>
> Forgot, I want to use USB 2.0.

Plextor makes a USB 2.0 unit that capture analog video into MPEG-4 / DIVX
and MPEG-2.

http://www.plextor.be/products/video_products/px-m402u....
November 25, 2004 5:36:10 PM

> Forgot, I want to use USB 2.0.
>
> AS

You should *want* Firewire if you are looking for the best possible
quality.
Anonymous
November 26, 2004 5:58:34 PM

<xeaglecrest@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> You should *want* Firewire if you are looking for the best possible
> quality.

I didn't ask for best quality, I only asked "quality at least equal to VHS,
minimum price"

AS
Anonymous
November 26, 2004 5:58:35 PM

> <xeaglecrest@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>> You should *want* Firewire if you are looking for the best possible
>> quality.
>
> I didn't ask for best quality, I only asked "quality at least equal to
> VHS,
> minimum price"

Ironically, if your camcorder has Firewire output, using
digital Firewire likely is cheaper than acquiring an analog
video sampling/capture device. This is because the camcorder
already sampled/captured the analog video into a digital
stream and recorded it on the tape. When you interconnect
the camera and computer, you are just "copying" the digital
stream from the tape to your hard drive.
Anonymous
November 26, 2004 8:06:35 PM

> Ironically, if your camcorder has Firewire output, using
> digital Firewire likely is cheaper than acquiring an analog
> video sampling/capture device. This is because the camcorder
> already sampled/captured the analog video into a digital
> stream and recorded it on the tape. When you interconnect
> the camera and computer, you are just "copying" the digital
> stream from the tape to your hard drive.

You are talking about a digital camcorder, right? I have an analogic one.
Believe me, if I had a digital camcorder with a firewire output, I would use
it :-)

AS
!