How to split a 6 channels WAV file

Is there any tools to split a 6 channels WAVe file into 6 differents WAVe
files.

Thanks

"Albert Duranton" wrote ...
> Is there any tools to split a 6 channels WAVe file into 6
> differents WAVe files.

Where did you get this "6 channels WAVe file"?
What software produced it?

Note that you may have better response asking this in an
audio newsgroup such as news:rec.audio.pro

If you search Gooogle for mult-channel wav the very
first hit reveals a freeware called Maven Player and
Maven 3D professional...

Probably a broadcast wave file.

Actually, wave files being RIFF files .. any file could me multichannel.

BTW Crowley,

I went to your site. You're a smart guy. Nice COM project.

> "Albert Duranton" wrote ...
>> Is there any tools to split a 6 channels WAVe file into 6
>> differents WAVe files.
>
> Where did you get this "6 channels WAVe file"?
> What software produced it?
>
> Note that you may have better response asking this in an
> audio newsgroup such as news:rec.audio.pro
>
> If you search Gooogle for mult-channel wav the very
> first hit reveals a freeware called Maven Player and
> Maven 3D professional...

"nappy-iou" wrote ...
> Probably a broadcast wave file.
>
> Actually, wave files being RIFF files .. any file could me multichannel.
>
> BTW Crowley,
>
> I went to your site. You're a smart guy. Nice COM project.

Thanks, Nappy. Another thing to add to things I am thankful for.

The 6 channels WAV come Adobe Premiere Pro. It is the result of a surround
5.1 mix.

"Albert Duranton" <albertduranton@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
> Is there any tools to split a 6 channels WAVe file into 6 differents WAVe
> files.
>
> Thanks

What's the url?

"Richard Crowley" <rcrowley7@xprt.net> wrote in message news:<10q9j9hobevaubd@corp.supernews.com>...
> "Albert Duranton" wrote ...
> > Is there any tools to split a 6 channels WAVe file into 6
> > differents WAVe files.
>
> Where did you get this "6 channels WAVe file"?
> What software produced it?
Note6 channel wave file is what one would likely use to make a 6 channel AC3 file
for DVD.
You can make a 6 channel wave file from 6 one channel wave files with my
software multimux.
If you run Linux.
http://panteltje.com/panteltje/dvd/
The other way around, skip 44 bytes for the header, then use every 6th sample ;
JP

"Richard Crowley" <rcrowley7@xprt.net> wrote in message news:<10qa36v8i4jhdcf@corp.supernews.com>...
> "nappy-iou" wrote ...
> > Probably a broadcast wave file.
> >
> > Actually, wave files being RIFF files .. any file could me multichannel.
> >
> > BTW Crowley,
> >
> > I went to your site. You're a smart guy. Nice COM project.
>
> Thanks, Nappy. Another thing to add to things I am thankful for.

I just had a look at your diagram of the com thingy.
A few things puzzle me, and I hope you can clarify this for me.
First the mute switch, it reduces the gain of the input amp, by
a factor > 1000, all very well, but if the input (mike) was for
example an electret, these give easy 1 V pp if tapped on or bumped
into, does it sufficiently prevent mechanical noises?
So I looked if that thing had electret 'bias', that set me wondering
again, as the voltage divider R30 / R13 biases C23 to a negative
voltage when no mike connected, so the cap is the wrong way around in
that case.
Caps do not like that at all.
So, have not looked at the rest yet, maybe I see this wrong?
JP

"Jan Panteltje" wrote ...
> I just had a look at your diagram of the com thingy.
> A few things puzzle me, and I hope you can clarify this for me.
> First the mute switch, it reduces the gain of the input amp, by
> a factor > 1000, all very well, but if the input (mike) was for
> example an electret, these give easy 1 V pp if tapped on or bumped
> into, does it sufficiently prevent mechanical noises?

Never encountered anything like a 1v signal out of an electret
capsule. But even so, this is a communication device and
completely muting mechanical noises is beyond the scope of
the requirements. If you wanted to make it completely silent,
you could short the input or something. Didn't seem that
important to me to change ClearCom's original design.
In real-world use, the single-ended design collects enough
hum, noise, etc. so that less than perfect muting of the mic
is of no great importance.

> So I looked if that thing had electret 'bias', that set me wondering
> again, as the voltage divider R30 / R13 biases C23 to a negative
> voltage when no mike connected, so the cap is the wrong way around in
> that case.
> Caps do not like that at all.

I added R30 for people who want to use cheap computer
headsets. I use more robust headsets with dynamic mics
myself. If you're worried about a few volts reverse voltage
across a 35v electrolytic, source the bias voltage from VCC
instead of V/2. Many people tell me they have constructed
it and I haven't heard any complaints.

> So, have not looked at the rest yet, maybe I see this wrong?
> JP

Feel free to modify it as you wish.

Sorry to break the thread, I did see your reply on freenews.netfront.net,
but not on yahoo groups.
So I reply to an old article.
My normal server seems not working, has been down now for 2 days (teranews).
American company.
:
On a sunny day (Thu, 25 Nov 2004 09:32:27 -0800) it happened "Richard Crowley"
<rcrowley7@xprt.net> wrote in <10qc5pd9peb9a72@corp.supernews.com>:
>Never encountered anything like a 1v signal out of an electret
>capsule.
Take an oscilloscope, connect an electret to the normal recommended
voltage, and tap the mike, or blow into it.
They all go up close to supply.
What is in there is perhaps just a FET source follower...

>But even so, this is a communication device and
>completely muting mechanical noises is beyond the scope of
>the requirements. If you wanted to make it completely silent,
>you could short the input or something.
Yep, or disconnect pre-amp (switch at higher signal level).

>Didn't seem that
>important to me to change ClearCom's original design.
>In real-world use, the single-ended design collects enough
>hum, noise, etc. so that less than perfect muting of the mic
>is of no great importance.
If you have a bunch of these, and somebody is messing around, it
may be annoying.

>I added R30 for people who want to use cheap computer
>headsets. I use more robust headsets with dynamic mics
>myself. If you're worried about a few volts reverse voltage

>across a 35v electrolytic, source the bias voltage from VCC
>instead of V/2.
The reason you use the voltage divider I presume is to get the
right voltage for the electret.
So this voltage is fixed, maybe 3 V or so, and below 1/2V supply.
So the solution you mention will not work (without exceeding 1/2V
on the mike).
Just reverse the cap!

>Many people tell me they have constructed
Yes, it is something to worry about, especially if it was a tantalum type cap.
Those will have severe leakage and cause pop noises etc..
Yes, even at low reverse voltages, had that here a couple of month ago.
In those caps it is easy to confuse polarity, this manufacturer used
'_' symbol for the + side.

>and I haven't heard any complaints.
that is no excuse to not correct the error.

>Feel free to modify it as you wish.
No, I won't, I have complete diagrams of good working stuff.
The advantage of 'open source' (electronics) in this case is that any feedback
will improve the design.

JP

"Jan Panteltje" wrote ...
> "Richard Crowley" wrote :
>>But even so, this is a communication device and
>>completely muting mechanical noises is beyond the scope of
>>the requirements. If you wanted to make it completely silent,
>>you could short the input or something.
> Yep, or disconnect pre-amp (switch at higher signal level).
>
>>Didn't seem that
>>important to me to change ClearCom's original design.
>>In real-world use, the single-ended design collects enough
>>hum, noise, etc. so that less than perfect muting of the mic
>>is of no great importance.
> If you have a bunch of these, and somebody is messing around, it
> may be annoying.

Which is why their current version has a custom digital
chip that implements all the switching, signaling, etc.
functions including one where interrupting the power
supply will mute all the mics.

I use mine mostly for video production where people
are online all the time and the camera ops keep their
mics muted while rolling.

>>I added R30 for people who want to use cheap computer
>>headsets. I use more robust headsets with dynamic mics
>>myself. If you're worried about a few volts reverse voltage
>
>>across a 35v electrolytic, source the bias voltage from VCC
>>instead of V/2.
> The reason you use the voltage divider I presume is to get the
> right voltage for the electret.

It is not actually a voltage divider function. R13 (the 47K
shunt resistor) was part of the original circuit. R30 (~15K)
bias resistor) was added to provide electret power. Now
that you mention it, I should have just used VCC instead
of V/2 as the source.

"Richard Crowley" <rcrowley7@xprt.net> wrote in message:

>It is not actually a voltage divider function. R13 (the 47K
>shunt resistor) was part of the original circuit. R30 (~15K)
>bias resistor) was added to provide electret power. Now
>that you mention it, I should have just used VCC instead
>of V/2 as the source.
No, I think you did that right. The point is, no matter how high a
voltage you feed that resistor from, in order to make that + side of
the cap positive, it must be more positive then V/2 ,and that could be
above what an electrect will stand.
That resistor is then the drain resistor for the FET in the mike.
A FET is more or less a constant current source, so you may get away
with it by using a low value resistor from V, but a low value resistor
will reduce output swing and you will possibly exceed Vmax for the
mike.
I have some electrets here, and these are rated for 1.5 to 10 V,
quoted as 600 Ohm impedance (does that mean use 600 Ohm drain
resistor?).

Some thing to try out and measure ...
JP

"Richard Crowley" <rcrowley7@xprt.net> wrote in message news:<10qcqan1r5bulee@corp.supernews.com>...
So, how can I criticize capacitors the wrong way around,
I probably should not.
Because it all depends on how much faith one has.
Imagine you (just for the story's sake),
just lost your job, you're home, the landlord knocks on the door,
you have not payed the rent for 4 month, 'Tomorrow morning you are out
on the street',
you close the door, switch on the television, and there is Billy
Graham, just then
the light goes out (have not payed electricity for even longer),
you light a candle, it falls over, the place burns down, you grab your
tent from the
last time you went camping, it has a hole in it, you sleep in the park
and have this
dream.
In the dream God tells you to join the army.
So, next morning that is what you do, and after a long career you end
up designing electronics
for the navy.
You are assigned to a nuclear submarine, and one day there is this
exercise, and they are
ready to launch.
The order spoken over the clearcom is 'Do NOT launch', but at that
moment the cap
opens (was reverse connected) and the guy at the knobs hears 'Do
launch'.
The missile launches, but because of a reverse connected cap in the
guidance system
it is now not heading for Russia, but for Disneyland.
Just as it is about to pass the US coast line, the cap pops again, and
it now is heading down towards
the beach.
At the same moment this all is happening, a shark is heading towards a
little girl playing in the water
of the beach.
The people on the beach see the big fin approaching the little girl,
and the mother stretches here arms,
looks up, and screams: 'God please save my little girl from this
shark'.
Right then the missile detonator fails, because of a reverse connected
capacitor, and the thing plunges
on the shark's head .
The shark is dead, the missile causes a big wave that lifts the little
girl out of the water and throws
it into the mothers arms.
She says: 'God thank you'.
You are invited to the white house, and all over the news is how
useful nuclear missiles are and what a
life saver they are.
Immediately the president asks for a raise in the defense budget, and
gets 10 million more then he asked,
just to pay for reversing all caps in all electronic equipment in the
army.
If your faith is that strong, then you can even escape from a black
hole perhaps, because of quantum
fluctuation.
Now this may be a hypothetical story, but once I was in a 747 way over
the atlantic, the headphones did
not work, I asked the flight attendant, and told him (the whole row
did not work), 'maybe there is a
defective cable or defective amp'.
he asked 'how do you know?', and I told him 'I am an engineer'.
Ah, he said, come with me, and we went to some place where he started
pulling out modules.
That did not help so he started pulling out other ones an changing
them.
This got me worried quite a bit as I am no aeronautics engineer at
all... So I asked him, why not report
the problem to the captain, and let him write it in the log, so they
can fix it once we have landed?
He said; 'Good idea', I went back to my seat.
So, a bit more faith can do miracles...
JP
PS Even if you get that voltage at the mike input above 1/2V with an
electret connected, then when somebody plugs in a dynamic mike the cap
will be reverse polarized with 1/2V.
The current through the resistor may cause the dynamic mike membrane
to move,
perhaps affecting its operation.
Ideal would be a switch, or some detector ciruit.
Story copyright Jan Panteltje 2004
If you make a movie out of this, I want some of the millions.

Well! That explains it! LOL

Steve King