Remote Desktop to Remote Desktop

I recentlly connected to my work pc (remote desktop)
from my home thru a company VPN.

While connected to the work pc I used RemoteDesktop
to connect to a 2nd machine on the company network.

When I closed the connection to what I thought was
the 2nd machine, I was dropped right back to my
home pc without being returned to my work-pc
desktop, which actually opened the session to
the 2nd machine.

Even logging back in to my work pc brought
me back to the session to the 2nd machine.
I had to 'restart' the 2nd machine to get the
connection broken between it and my
work pc.

Is there a more elegant way to handle
this situation, or is this somthing which
just should not be done (opening
remote sessions from a remote session)?

thanks, Otto Porter
4 answers Last reply
More about remote desktop remote desktop

    No--doing that is just fine--I do it every day.

    Usually, I connect to a server in a small office, and then use RDP from
    there to connect to individual workstations.

    The trick, if you are working full-screen, is managing the "pins" on the
    connection bar at the top of the screen. That bar also shows the name of
    the machine you are connected to--i.e. which one will be disconnected if you
    hit the X.

    If the top-level connection bar is pinned, the secondary connection will be
    underneath it. Click on the pin on the top-level bar to let it slide out of
    the way, so that you can see the second one.

    Where this gets difficult is if BOTH are unpinned! I haven't figured out
    any good way to get the secondary one down and pinned again, without the
    primary one also coming down and getting in the way.

    Anyway- use the connection bar at the top of the screen, and pin and unpin
    as needed, so you can tell what is happening.

    RDP is so much like "being there" that it is very easy to forget in the
    absence of that connection bar, that you are in a remote session.

    "Otto Porter" <oporter@xmission.com> wrote in message

    > I recentlly connected to my work pc (remote desktop)
    > from my home thru a company VPN.
    >
    > While connected to the work pc I used RemoteDesktop
    > to connect to a 2nd machine on the company network.
    >
    > When I closed the connection to what I thought was
    > the 2nd machine, I was dropped right back to my
    > home pc without being returned to my work-pc
    > desktop, which actually opened the session to
    > the 2nd machine.
    >
    > Even logging back in to my work pc brought
    > me back to the session to the 2nd machine.
    > I had to 'restart' the 2nd machine to get the
    > connection broken between it and my
    > work pc.
    >
    > Is there a more elegant way to handle
    > this situation, or is this somthing which
    > just should not be done (opening
    > remote sessions from a remote session)?
    >
    > thanks, Otto Porter

    On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 21:14:12 -0400, "Bill Sanderson"
    <Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> wrote:

    >The trick, if you are working full-screen, is managing the "pins" on the
    >connection bar at the top of the screen. That bar also shows the name of
    >the machine you are connected to--i.e. which one will be disconnected if you
    >hit the X.

    Bill,

    Thanks for the reply. This is great info. It will keep me out of trouble.

    Otto

    how about remote desktop keyboard shortcut ?

    how can i send it to secondary connection ?

    "Bill Sanderson" <Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> ¼¶¼g©ó¶l¥ó·s»D
    :uoyLuUmgEHA.712@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    > No--doing that is just fine--I do it every day.
    >
    > Usually, I connect to a server in a small office, and then use RDP
    from
    > there to connect to individual workstations.
    >
    > The trick, if you are working full-screen, is managing the "pins" on
    the
    > connection bar at the top of the screen. That bar also shows the
    name of
    > the machine you are connected to--i.e. which one will be
    disconnected if you
    > hit the X.
    >
    > If the top-level connection bar is pinned, the secondary connection
    will be
    > underneath it. Click on the pin on the top-level bar to let it
    slide out of
    > the way, so that you can see the second one.
    >
    > Where this gets difficult is if BOTH are unpinned! I haven't
    figured out
    > any good way to get the secondary one down and pinned again, without
    the
    > primary one also coming down and getting in the way.
    >
    > Anyway- use the connection bar at the top of the screen, and pin and
    unpin
    > as needed, so you can tell what is happening.
    >
    > RDP is so much like "being there" that it is very easy to forget in
    the
    > absence of that connection bar, that you are in a remote session.
    >
    > "Otto Porter" <oporter@xmission.com> wrote in message
    > >

    > > I recentlly connected to my work pc (remote desktop)
    > > from my home thru a company VPN.
    > >
    > > While connected to the work pc I used RemoteDesktop
    > > to connect to a 2nd machine on the company network.
    > >
    > > When I closed the connection to what I thought was
    > > the 2nd machine, I was dropped right back to my
    > > home pc without being returned to my work-pc
    > > desktop, which actually opened the session to
    > > the 2nd machine.
    > >
    > > Even logging back in to my work pc brought
    > > me back to the session to the 2nd machine.
    > > I had to 'restart' the 2nd machine to get the
    > > connection broken between it and my
    > > work pc.
    > >
    > > Is there a more elegant way to handle
    > > this situation, or is this somthing which
    > > just should not be done (opening
    > > remote sessions from a remote session)?
    > >
    > > thanks, Otto Porter

    I'm not sure what you mean.

    There are a couple of ways of dealing with the secondary connection. One
    way is to use a VPN connection to the remote LAN, and then do direct RDP
    connections to all of the individual hosts.

    You can save .RDP files for each host locally and do this.

    In my case, I have a folder on the server in an office containing batch
    files and an executable to do Wake-on-lan for individual machines, paired
    with a .RDP file (result of save settings) to connect to that machine from
    the server--and that's what I usually do.

    "Fortress" <f@f.co> wrote in message
    > how about remote desktop keyboard shortcut ?
    >
    > how can i send it to secondary connection ?
    >

    > "Bill Sanderson" <Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> ¼¶¼g©ó¶l¥ó·s»D
    > :uoyLuUmgEHA.712@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    >> No--doing that is just fine--I do it every day.
    >>
    >> Usually, I connect to a server in a small office, and then use RDP
    > from
    >> there to connect to individual workstations.
    >>
    >> The trick, if you are working full-screen, is managing the "pins" on
    > the
    >> connection bar at the top of the screen. That bar also shows the
    > name of
    >> the machine you are connected to--i.e. which one will be
    > disconnected if you
    >> hit the X.
    >>
    >> If the top-level connection bar is pinned, the secondary connection
    > will be
    >> underneath it. Click on the pin on the top-level bar to let it
    > slide out of
    >> the way, so that you can see the second one.
    >>
    >> Where this gets difficult is if BOTH are unpinned! I haven't
    > figured out
    >> any good way to get the secondary one down and pinned again, without
    > the
    >> primary one also coming down and getting in the way.
    >>
    >> Anyway- use the connection bar at the top of the screen, and pin and
    > unpin
    >> as needed, so you can tell what is happening.
    >>
    >> RDP is so much like "being there" that it is very easy to forget in
    > the
    >> absence of that connection bar, that you are in a remote session.
    >>
    >> "Otto Porter" <oporter@xmission.com> wrote in message
    >> >

    >> > I recentlly connected to my work pc (remote desktop)
    >> > from my home thru a company VPN.
    >> >
    >> > While connected to the work pc I used RemoteDesktop
    >> > to connect to a 2nd machine on the company network.
    >> >
    >> > When I closed the connection to what I thought was
    >> > the 2nd machine, I was dropped right back to my
    >> > home pc without being returned to my work-pc
    >> > desktop, which actually opened the session to
    >> > the 2nd machine.
    >> >
    >> > Even logging back in to my work pc brought
    >> > me back to the session to the 2nd machine.
    >> > I had to 'restart' the 2nd machine to get the
    >> > connection broken between it and my
    >> > work pc.
    >> >
    >> > Is there a more elegant way to handle
    >> > this situation, or is this somthing which
    >> > just should not be done (opening
    >> > remote sessions from a remote session)?
    >> >
    >> > thanks, Otto Porter

Remote Desktop Connection Microsoft Windows XP