Cannot access local printer through Remote Desktop

I was having W2k Prof with Remote desktop and was able to access remote
server and use my local printer, now I installed a new maching with XP and
SP2 and now I cannot use my local printer through remote desktop and printer
option is already selected in the option-local resource..
8 answers Last reply
More about cannot access local printer remote desktop

    Either disable the firewall or turn "File and Print Sharing" exception on in
    the firewall.

    "A N Hasan" wrote:

    > I was having W2k Prof with Remote desktop and was able to access remote
    > server and use my local printer, now I installed a new maching with XP and
    > SP2 and now I cannot use my local printer through remote desktop and printer
    > option is already selected in the option-local resource..

    No--it isn't the firewall.

    The printer traffic is going over the same 3389 TCP connection as the rest
    of RDP. If RDP is working, the firewalls are properly configured for that,
    and wouldn't interfere further with printing over RDP.

    "Giga" <Giga@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Either disable the firewall or turn "File and Print Sharing" exception on
    > in
    > the firewall.
    >
    > "A N Hasan" wrote:
    >
    >> I was having W2k Prof with Remote desktop and was able to access remote
    >> server and use my local printer, now I installed a new maching with XP
    >> and
    >> SP2 and now I cannot use my local printer through remote desktop and
    >> printer
    >> option is already selected in the option-local resource..

    Is this the same printer, or a different printer?

    Is the printer connected via LPT or USB?

    Here are the possible issues:

    1) is the driver for the printer available at the server, and does the name
    of the printer in that driver precisely match the name of the printer in the
    driver at the client end. If the client end has a newer driver than the
    host end, you may need to update the driver at the host, or vice-versa.

    If the printer is newer than the OS at the host, there may be no driver
    available at the host--here things get tricky because you do not want to
    install a possibly sub-par printer driver on a server and risk disrupting
    many other folks. You need a printer driver which is WHQL certified for the
    OS you are installing it on--i.e. the sever.

    2) Is the port being redirected. Some USB ports are not redirected by
    default.

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=302361

    These issues are generally diagnosable using the System Event log entries at
    the host machine generated around the time of a Remote Desktop session.
    There should be event log entries if the port IS redirected, but no matching
    printer driver is available.

    "A N Hasan" <A N Hasan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I was having W2k Prof with Remote desktop and was able to access remote
    > server and use my local printer, now I installed a new maching with XP and
    > SP2 and now I cannot use my local printer through remote desktop and
    > printer
    > option is already selected in the option-local resource..

    Let me explain again, I am still having W2K prof machine and I am able to
    connect any of my servers with Remote desktop client and redirect any print
    job locally. I have another new XP maching with SP2 and tring to connect to
    the same servers but unable to redirect any print job locally. The printers
    are the same and installed in the XP machine also. I tired disabling the
    firewall, enabling the file & Printer sharing, but nothing worked

    "Bill Sanderson" wrote:

    > Is this the same printer, or a different printer?
    >
    > Is the printer connected via LPT or USB?
    >
    > Here are the possible issues:
    >
    > 1) is the driver for the printer available at the server, and does the name
    > of the printer in that driver precisely match the name of the printer in the
    > driver at the client end. If the client end has a newer driver than the
    > host end, you may need to update the driver at the host, or vice-versa.
    >
    > If the printer is newer than the OS at the host, there may be no driver
    > available at the host--here things get tricky because you do not want to
    > install a possibly sub-par printer driver on a server and risk disrupting
    > many other folks. You need a printer driver which is WHQL certified for the
    > OS you are installing it on--i.e. the sever.
    >
    > 2) Is the port being redirected. Some USB ports are not redirected by
    > default.
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=302361
    >

    > These issues are generally diagnosable using the System Event log entries at
    > the host machine generated around the time of a Remote Desktop session.
    > There should be event log entries if the port IS redirected, but no matching
    > printer driver is available.
    >
    > "A N Hasan" <A N Hasan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I was having W2k Prof with Remote desktop and was able to access remote
    > > server and use my local printer, now I installed a new maching with XP and
    > > SP2 and now I cannot use my local printer through remote desktop and
    > > printer
    > > option is already selected in the option-local resource..

    Is it possible for you to examine the System Event log at the server to see
    whether there are Printer error messages logged at the time your XP machine
    attempts to connect?

    I believe you are in the situation covered by my #1, below. An update to
    the driver for your printer on the server should do the job, but you need to
    take care that this driver is WHQL certified.

    There is an alternative method involving equating the name of the printer as
    shown by the newer driver (the one on the XP machine) with the drivername as
    shown by the older driver on the server. This is an excellent solution, but
    it takes a bit of effort:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=http://support.microsoft.com:80/support/kb/articles/q294/4/29.asp&NoWebContent=1

    If your server is on SP2 or later, here's how you enter the printer
    description strings:

    If you are able to find a good WHQL driver, installing the newer driver at
    the server may be easier to do.

    > Let me explain again, I am still having W2K prof machine and I am able to
    > connect any of my servers with Remote desktop client and redirect any
    > print
    > job locally. I have another new XP maching with SP2 and tring to connect
    > the same servers but unable to redirect any print job locally. The
    > printers
    > are the same and installed in the XP machine also. I tired disabling the
    > firewall, enabling the file & Printer sharing, but nothing worked
    >
    > "Bill Sanderson" wrote:
    >
    >> Is this the same printer, or a different printer?
    >>
    >> Is the printer connected via LPT or USB?
    >>
    >> Here are the possible issues:
    >>
    >> 1) is the driver for the printer available at the server, and does the
    >> name
    >> of the printer in that driver precisely match the name of the printer in
    >> the
    >> driver at the client end. If the client end has a newer driver than the
    >> host end, you may need to update the driver at the host, or vice-versa.
    >>
    >> If the printer is newer than the OS at the host, there may be no driver
    >> available at the host--here things get tricky because you do not want to
    >> install a possibly sub-par printer driver on a server and risk disrupting
    >> many other folks. You need a printer driver which is WHQL certified for
    >> the
    >> OS you are installing it on--i.e. the sever.
    >>
    >> 2) Is the port being redirected. Some USB ports are not redirected by
    >> default.
    >>
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=302361
    >>

    >> These issues are generally diagnosable using the System Event log entries
    >> at
    >> the host machine generated around the time of a Remote Desktop session.
    >> There should be event log entries if the port IS redirected, but no
    >> matching
    >> printer driver is available.
    >>
    >> "A N Hasan" <A N Hasan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I was having W2k Prof with Remote desktop and was able to access remote
    >> > server and use my local printer, now I installed a new maching with XP
    >> > and
    >> > SP2 and now I cannot use my local printer through remote desktop and
    >> > printer
    >> > option is already selected in the option-local resource..

    I think I also have this same exact problem, I have a user who cannot get her
    HP 2300 to map on login. Leaves no errors on the server side. Acts just
    like mine does when I uncheck the printers in the resource tab. Drivers are
    both newly downloaded from HP. My XP Pro machine works just fine with the
    same exact printer and driver combo?? (I think exact??) But no server error
    at all. Any ideas on that one.

    "Bill Sanderson" wrote:

> [...]
    > >> driver at the client end. If the client end has a newer driver than the
    > >> host end, you may need to update the driver at the host, or vice-versa.
    > >>
    > >> If the printer is newer than the OS at the host, there may be no driver
    > >> available at the host--here things get tricky because you do not want to
    > >> install a possibly sub-par printer driver on a server and risk disrupting
    > >> many other folks. You need a printer driver which is WHQL certified for
    > >> the
    > >> OS you are installing it on--i.e. the sever.
    > >>
    > >> 2) Is the port being redirected. Some USB ports are not redirected by
    > >> default.

    > >> These issues are generally diagnosable using the System Event log entries
    > >> at
    > >> the host machine generated around the time of a Remote Desktop session.
    > >> There should be event log entries if the port IS redirected, but no

    I'm sorry I haven't taken the time to look up the particulars of this
    printer.

    Is it connected via USB? If so, check out the KB article linked to in the
    thread you are quoting--the port may not be redirected by default. Once the
    port is redirected, if there is still a driver issue, there should then be a
    log file entry.

    >I think I also have this same exact problem, I have a user who cannot get
    >her
    > HP 2300 to map on login. Leaves no errors on the server side. Acts just
    > like mine does when I uncheck the printers in the resource tab. Drivers
    > are
    > both newly downloaded from HP. My XP Pro machine works just fine with the
    > same exact printer and driver combo?? (I think exact??) But no server
    > error
    > at all. Any ideas on that one.
    >
    > "Bill Sanderson" wrote:
    >
    >> Is it possible for you to examine the System Event log at the server to
    >> see
    >> whether there are Printer error messages logged at the time your XP
    >> machine
    >> attempts to connect?
    >>
    >> I believe you are in the situation covered by my #1, below. An update to
    >> the driver for your printer on the server should do the job, but you need
    >> take care that this driver is WHQL certified.
    >>
    >> There is an alternative method involving equating the name of the printer
    >> as
    >> shown by the newer driver (the one on the XP machine) with the drivername
    >> as
    >> shown by the older driver on the server. This is an excellent solution,
    >> but
    >> it takes a bit of effort:
    >>
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=http://support.microsoft.com:80/support/kb/articles/q294/4/29.asp&NoWebContent=1
    >>
    >> If your server is on SP2 or later, here's how you enter the printer
    >> description strings:

    >> If you are able to find a good WHQL driver, installing the newer driver
    >> at
    >> the server may be easier to do.
    >>
    >> "A N Hasan" <A N Hasan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Let me explain again, I am still having W2K prof machine and I am able
    >> > connect any of my servers with Remote desktop client and redirect any
    >> > print
    >> > job locally. I have another new XP maching with SP2 and tring to
    >> > connect
    >> > the same servers but unable to redirect any print job locally. The
    >> > printers
    >> > are the same and installed in the XP machine also. I tired disabling
    >> > the
    >> > firewall, enabling the file & Printer sharing, but nothing worked

  8. Terminal server printing has always been a black art with a large number of hand-offs just asking not to work correctly. We also had the same problem and then we found great solution at http://terminalworks.com/remote-desktop-printing. working great, low price and no problems anymore. hope it helps

Remote Desktop Microsoft Printers Windows XP