Remote access post sp2

August 15, 2004 2:57:50 PM

I have several XP Pro systems setup on a small LAN in my home. They are all
behind a NetGear firewall/router and using a 192.168.x.x address scheme. Up
till yesterday I could go to any of my XP systems and run the mstsc.exe and
connect to any of the other machines. To connect all I would have to do is
type in the machine name:3x89.

Last night I ran into a bit of a snag and hopping some one knows how to fix
this. I installed XP SP2 on one of these machines and now I am unable to
connect to it any more using its machine name. When I try to connect to the
system using the machine name Office:3289 I can not connect to it. The
error message I get is 'The specified remote computer could not be found.
Verify that you have typed the correct computer name or IP address, and then
try connecting again.' If I try to connect and use it's IP address
192.168.0.10:3289 that works just fine.

Anyone have any ideas why the name does not work? I am not using any sort
of local DNS. The NetGear is handling DHCP.

Lee

More about : remote access post sp2

Anonymous
August 15, 2004 4:38:10 PM

Look to make sure NetBIOS is enabled over TCP/IP on the machine your trying to reach by name. You
could also use a hosts file to map local PC names to local LAN IP addresses...

http://members.cox.net/ajarvi/LAN/The_Illustrated_Netwo...

Since you can access the box by IP then its more than likely not an issue with the new Windows
Firewall installed and enabled by SP2.

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"Lee Smith" <leeasmith2@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:b9qdnX5tuMwXC4LcRVn-iQ@comcast.com...
>I have several XP Pro systems setup on a small LAN in my home. They are all
> behind a NetGear firewall/router and using a 192.168.x.x address scheme. Up
> till yesterday I could go to any of my XP systems and run the mstsc.exe and
> connect to any of the other machines. To connect all I would have to do is
> type in the machine name:3x89.
>
> Last night I ran into a bit of a snag and hopping some one knows how to fix
> this. I installed XP SP2 on one of these machines and now I am unable to
> connect to it any more using its machine name. When I try to connect to the
> system using the machine name Office:3289 I can not connect to it. The
> error message I get is 'The specified remote computer could not be found.
> Verify that you have typed the correct computer name or IP address, and then
> try connecting again.' If I try to connect and use it's IP address
> 192.168.0.10:3289 that works just fine.
>
> Anyone have any ideas why the name does not work? I am not using any sort
> of local DNS. The NetGear is handling DHCP.
>
> Lee

Anonymous
August 15, 2004 7:44:50 PM

That's interesting.

Does the Netgear not provide DNS to your machines?

I've been able to connect by name between two XPSP2 machines behind a
Micosoft MN-700 router, FWIW.

I was somewhat surprised, because I don't think they are using the same
workgroup name--I'd just brought one home from work--but I could be
mistaken--they might both be on MSHome.

I'm not sure what I have open on the firewalls--possibly file and printer
sharing to the local subnet--I'll double check.

I've got File and Print open on this machine--restricted to the local
subnet. Not sure about the other machine, which is off at the moment.

"Lee Smith" <leeasmith2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have several XP Pro systems setup on a small LAN in my home. They are
>all
> behind a NetGear firewall/router and using a 192.168.x.x address scheme.
> Up
> till yesterday I could go to any of my XP systems and run the mstsc.exe
> and
> connect to any of the other machines. To connect all I would have to do
> is
> type in the machine name:3x89.
>

> Last night I ran into a bit of a snag and hopping some one knows how to
> fix
> this. I installed XP SP2 on one of these machines and now I am unable to
> connect to it any more using its machine name. When I try to connect to
> the
> system using the machine name Office:3289 I can not connect to it. The
> error message I get is 'The specified remote computer could not be found.
> Verify that you have typed the correct computer name or IP address, and
> then
> try connecting again.' If I try to connect and use it's IP address
> 192.168.0.10:3289 that works just fine.
>

> Anyone have any ideas why the name does not work? I am not using any sort
> of local DNS. The NetGear is handling DHCP.
>

> Lee

August 15, 2004 7:44:51 PM

I wonder if the original poster installed the final SP2 over a SP2 beta RC installation versus
removing the beta and then installing the final SP2? I have been seeing a few weird issues on other
forums from folks installing over a beta... Just a thought...

--

"Bill Sanderson" <Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> wrote in message
> That's interesting.
>
> Does the Netgear not provide DNS to your machines?
>
> I've been able to connect by name between two XPSP2 machines behind a Micosoft MN-700 router,
> FWIW.
>
> I was somewhat surprised, because I don't think they are using the same workgroup name--I'd just
> brought one home from work--but I could be mistaken--they might both be on MSHome.
>
> I'm not sure what I have open on the firewalls--possibly file and printer sharing to the local
> subnet--I'll double check.
>
> I've got File and Print open on this machine--restricted to the local subnet. Not sure about the
> other machine, which is off at the moment.
>
> "Lee Smith" <leeasmith2@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:b9qdnX5tuMwXC4LcRVn-iQ@comcast.com...
>>I have several XP Pro systems setup on a small LAN in my home. They are all
>> behind a NetGear firewall/router and using a 192.168.x.x address scheme. Up
>> till yesterday I could go to any of my XP systems and run the mstsc.exe and
>> connect to any of the other machines. To connect all I would have to do is
>> type in the machine name:3x89.
>>

>> Last night I ran into a bit of a snag and hopping some one knows how to fix
>> this. I installed XP SP2 on one of these machines and now I am unable to
>> connect to it any more using its machine name. When I try to connect to the
>> system using the machine name Office:3289 I can not connect to it. The
>> error message I get is 'The specified remote computer could not be found.
>> Verify that you have typed the correct computer name or IP address, and then
>> try connecting again.' If I try to connect and use it's IP address
>> 192.168.0.10:3289 that works just fine.
>>

>> Anyone have any ideas why the name does not work? I am not using any sort
>> of local DNS. The NetGear is handling DHCP.
>>

>> Lee

Anonymous
August 15, 2004 9:32:48 PM

Don't know--Final should enforce what it is allowed to install over, but I
agree that anomalies are possible, and have read of a few in the groups.
The only one I've seen myself is a 180 day EULA on a machine when went from
RC2 to final via AU.

news:o Nb90IwgEHA.3932@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>I wonder if the original poster installed the final SP2 over a SP2 beta RC
>installation versus removing the beta and then installing the final SP2? I
>have been seeing a few weird issues on other forums from folks installing
>over a beta... Just a thought...
>
> --
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> benefit of all of us...
> rights...
>
> "Bill Sanderson" <Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> wrote in message
>> That's interesting.
>>
>> Does the Netgear not provide DNS to your machines?
>>
>> I've been able to connect by name between two XPSP2 machines behind a
>> Micosoft MN-700 router, FWIW.
>>
>> I was somewhat surprised, because I don't think they are using the same
>> workgroup name--I'd just brought one home from work--but I could be
>> mistaken--they might both be on MSHome.
>>
>> I'm not sure what I have open on the firewalls--possibly file and printer
>> sharing to the local subnet--I'll double check.
>>
>> I've got File and Print open on this machine--restricted to the local
>> subnet. Not sure about the other machine, which is off at the moment.
>>
>> "Lee Smith" <leeasmith2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>>I have several XP Pro systems setup on a small LAN in my home. They are
>>>all
>>> behind a NetGear firewall/router and using a 192.168.x.x address scheme.
>>> Up
>>> till yesterday I could go to any of my XP systems and run the mstsc.exe
>>> and
>>> connect to any of the other machines. To connect all I would have to do
>>> is
>>> type in the machine name:3x89.
>>>

>>> Last night I ran into a bit of a snag and hopping some one knows how to
>>> fix
>>> this. I installed XP SP2 on one of these machines and now I am unable
>>> connect to it any more using its machine name. When I try to connect to
>>> the
>>> system using the machine name Office:3289 I can not connect to it. The
>>> error message I get is 'The specified remote computer could not be
>>> found.
>>> Verify that you have typed the correct computer name or IP address, and
>>> then
>>> try connecting again.' If I try to connect and use it's IP address
>>> 192.168.0.10:3289 that works just fine.
>>>

>>> Anyone have any ideas why the name does not work? I am not using any
>>> sort
>>> of local DNS. The NetGear is handling DHCP.
>>>

>>> Lee

Anonymous
August 15, 2004 9:50:15 PM

I checked that and it is not. Then agian it was not before the SP 2
instalation on the system so not sure why that would be a factor.

> Look to make sure NetBIOS is enabled over TCP/IP on the machine your
trying to reach by name. You
> could also use a hosts file to map local PC names to local LAN IP
addresses...

> http://members.cox.net/ajarvi/LAN/The_Illustrated_Netwo...
>
> Since you can access the box by IP then its more than likely not an issue
with the new Windows
> Firewall installed and enabled by SP2.
>
> --
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

benefit of all of us...
rights...

> "Lee Smith" <leeasmith2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >I have several XP Pro systems setup on a small LAN in my home. They are
all
> > behind a NetGear firewall/router and using a 192.168.x.x address scheme.
Up
> > till yesterday I could go to any of my XP systems and run the mstsc.exe
and
> > connect to any of the other machines. To connect all I would have to do
is
> > type in the machine name:3x89.
> >
> > Last night I ran into a bit of a snag and hopping some one knows how to
fix
> > this. I installed XP SP2 on one of these machines and now I am unable
> > connect to it any more using its machine name. When I try to connect to
the
> > system using the machine name Office:3289 I can not connect to it. The
> > error message I get is 'The specified remote computer could not be
found.
> > Verify that you have typed the correct computer name or IP address, and
then
> > try connecting again.' If I try to connect and use it's IP address
> > 192.168.0.10:3289 that works just fine.
> >
> > Anyone have any ideas why the name does not work? I am not using any
sort
> > of local DNS. The NetGear is handling DHCP.
> >
> > Lee

Anonymous
August 15, 2004 10:42:20 PM

Ok, doing some more research. Here is some more information that may help.

First let me say unsure if running NetBIOS over TCP/IP. When first read the
post I misread (reading at work means you read fast and don't pay due
attention) it and thought you were asking about NetBUIE over TCP/IP. I am
not sure if I am running NetBIOS over TPC/IP or not. I looked in properties
and didn't see any thing about it. I may not be looking in right place.
Unless SP 2 installed/uninstalled it I made no changes other than installing
SP2.

Far as DNS goes far as I know there is nothing on my network providing DNS
including the NetGear router. Honestly don't know why typing name instead
of IP address works. Just tried it one day and it worked so been using it
ever since.

Now far as host file goes I assume that would work. Again I didn't have to
use before and hopping don't have to use now but will if have to.

Two last bits of info if it helps. First I have several systems. If I try
to connect to any other system using name:3x89 it works. If I am on Office
and try to connect to any other system using name:3x89 that works.
Secondly is ping response. If I go to dos prompt and ping any of the other
systems I get a response. If I ping office I get unknown system. If I am
on the office system I can ping Office (obviously) and any of the other
systems.

Lee

"Lee Smith" <leeasmith2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I have several XP Pro systems setup on a small LAN in my home. They are
all
> behind a NetGear firewall/router and using a 192.168.x.x address scheme.
Up
> till yesterday I could go to any of my XP systems and run the mstsc.exe
and
> connect to any of the other machines. To connect all I would have to do
is
> type in the machine name:3x89.
>

> Last night I ran into a bit of a snag and hopping some one knows how to
fix
> this. I installed XP SP2 on one of these machines and now I am unable to
> connect to it any more using its machine name. When I try to connect to
the
> system using the machine name Office:3289 I can not connect to it. The
> error message I get is 'The specified remote computer could not be found.
> Verify that you have typed the correct computer name or IP address, and
then
> try connecting again.' If I try to connect and use it's IP address
> 192.168.0.10:3289 that works just fine.
>

> Anyone have any ideas why the name does not work? I am not using any sort
> of local DNS. The NetGear is handling DHCP.
>

> Lee

Anonymous
August 16, 2004 1:27:19 AM

So--it sounds like name resolution is still working to some of your systems.
Is the one on which it is failing the only one you've updated to SP2?

Is the firewall solidly closed on the system which isn't resolving? If you
open it for file and printer sharing (edit that so that it is for the local
subnet only)--does that help?

> [...]
> is
>> type in the machine name:3x89.
>>

>> Last night I ran into a bit of a snag and hopping some one knows how to
> fix
>> this. I installed XP SP2 on one of these machines and now I am unable to
>> connect to it any more using its machine name. When I try to connect to
> the
>> system using the machine name Office:3289 I can not connect to it. The
>> error message I get is 'The specified remote computer could not be found.
>> Verify that you have typed the correct computer name or IP address, and
> then
>> try connecting again.' If I try to connect and use it's IP address
>> 192.168.0.10:3289 that works just fine.
>>

>> Anyone have any ideas why the name does not work? I am not using any
>> sort
>> of local DNS. The NetGear is handling DHCP.

Anonymous
August 16, 2004 1:27:20 AM

Correct, name resolution works for all systems except the one I installed SP
2 on. Far as firewall goes I made one change. I closed the default 3389
and opened 3289. I made no other changes. On that particular system there
is no folder/printers shared so nothing opens to support it.

Now on the DUH meter. Just to see I turned off the SP2 Firewall. When I
did that I can connect using the name resolution. Don't tell me much but
does tell me my suspicion that the SP 2 is cause of problem or to be more
precise the firewall update.

"Bill Sanderson" <Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> wrote in message
news:o 0HbuAzgEHA.644@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> [...]
> >> type in the machine name:3x89.
> >>

> >> Last night I ran into a bit of a snag and hopping some one knows how to
> > fix
> >> this. I installed XP SP2 on one of these machines and now I am unable
> >> connect to it any more using its machine name. When I try to connect
> > the
> >> system using the machine name Office:3289 I can not connect to it. The
> >> error message I get is 'The specified remote computer could not be
found.
> >> Verify that you have typed the correct computer name or IP address, and
> > then
> >> try connecting again.' If I try to connect and use it's IP address
> >> 192.168.0.10:3289 that works just fine.
> >>

> >> Anyone have any ideas why the name does not work? I am not using any
> >> sort
> >> of local DNS. The NetGear is handling DHCP.

Anonymous
August 16, 2004 2:26:07 AM

That seems pretty clear. Other networks that I have with SP2 deployed are
domains with local DNS and WINS servers. Here at home I've none of that,.
but I do have File and Print sharing open. You might experiment. Start
with the simplest echo ping response. Then maybe just port 445 of the bunch
related to file and print sharing. See what the minimum is that works.
Test whether opening all of file and print sharing does it.

I think I should know this answer off the top of my head, but workgroup name
resolution has always been mysteriouis.

"Lee Smith" <leeasmith2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:p 86dnWoWRqktj73cRVn-rg@comcast.com...
> [...]
>> > of IP address works. Just tried it one day and it worked so been using
> it
>> > ever since.
>> >

>> > Now far as host file goes I assume that would work. Again I didn't
>> > have
>> > use before and hopping don't have to use now but will if have to.
>> >

>> > Two last bits of info if it helps. First I have several systems. If I
>> > try
>> > to connect to any other system using name:3x89 it works. If I am on
>> > Office
>> > and try to connect to any other system using name:3x89 that works.
>> > Secondly is ping response. If I go to dos prompt and ping any of the
>> > other
>> > systems I get a response. If I ping office I get unknown system. If I
> am
>> > on the office system I can ping Office (obviously) and any of the other

Anonymous
August 16, 2004 3:29:48 PM

Thanks.for your help! Got it.

Sure enough allowing file/print sharing fixed. Dont know why but i can live
with that. Much better than typing IP address or putting in host file.

> That seems pretty clear. Other networks that I have with SP2 deployed are
> domains with local DNS and WINS servers. Here at home I've none of that,.
> but I do have File and Print sharing open. You might experiment. Start
> with the simplest echo ping response. Then maybe just port 445 of the
bunch
> related to file and print sharing. See what the minimum is that works.
> Test whether opening all of file and print sharing does it.
>
> I think I should know this answer off the top of my head, but workgroup
name
> resolution has always been mysteriouis.
>
> "Lee Smith" <leeasmith2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:p 86dnWoWRqktj73cRVn-rg@comcast.com...
> > Correct, name resolution works for all systems except the one I
installed
> > SP
> > 2 on. Far as firewall goes I made one change. I closed the default
3389
> > and opened 3289. I made no other changes. On that particular system
> > there
> > is no folder/printers shared so nothing opens to support it.
> >

> > Now on the DUH meter. Just to see I turned off the SP2 Firewall. When
> > did that I can connect using the name resolution. Don't tell me much
but
> > does tell me my suspicion that the SP 2 is cause of problem or to be
more
> > precise the firewall update.
> >

> > "Bill Sanderson" <Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> wrote in message
> > news:o 0HbuAzgEHA.644@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> >> So--it sounds like name resolution is still working to some of your
> > systems.
> >> Is the one on which it is failing the only one you've updated to SP2?
> >>
> >> Is the firewall solidly closed on the system which isn't resolving? If
> > you
> >> open it for file and printer sharing (edit that so that it is for the
> > local
> >> subnet only)--does that help?
> >>
> >> "Lee Smith" <leeasmith2@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > am

> > DNS
> > instead
> > it

> > am

> > are
> > scheme.
> > do

> > found.

Anonymous
August 16, 2004 6:07:20 PM

That is interesting. I had enabled F&PS on my XP Pro test machine as a matter of routine, so that is
probably why I never saw that issue... In my case, however, I limit the access scope for F&PS to two
PCs on my local network only versus the whole local subnet like Bill mentioned. Its just a way to
tighten up a bit the access security overall...

--

"Lee Smith" <leeasmith2@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:mpqdnYx45oIUcr3cRVn-rg@comcast.com...
> Thanks.for your help! Got it.
>
> Sure enough allowing file/print sharing fixed. Dont know why but i can live
> with that. Much better than typing IP address or putting in host file.
>
> "Bill Sanderson" <Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> wrote in message
>> That seems pretty clear. Other networks that I have with SP2 deployed are
>> domains with local DNS and WINS servers. Here at home I've none of that,.
>> but I do have File and Print sharing open. You might experiment. Start
>> with the simplest echo ping response. Then maybe just port 445 of the
> bunch
>> related to file and print sharing. See what the minimum is that works.
>> Test whether opening all of file and print sharing does it.
>>
>> I think I should know this answer off the top of my head, but workgroup
> name
>> resolution has always been mysteriouis.
>>
>> "Lee Smith" <leeasmith2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:p 86dnWoWRqktj73cRVn-rg@comcast.com...
>> > Correct, name resolution works for all systems except the one I
> installed
>> > SP
>> > 2 on. Far as firewall goes I made one change. I closed the default
> 3389
>> > and opened 3289. I made no other changes. On that particular system
>> > there
>> > is no folder/printers shared so nothing opens to support it.
>> >

>> > Now on the DUH meter. Just to see I turned off the SP2 Firewall. When
>> > did that I can connect using the name resolution. Don't tell me much
> but
>> > does tell me my suspicion that the SP 2 is cause of problem or to be
> more
>> > precise the firewall update.
>> >

>> > "Bill Sanderson" <Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> wrote in message
>> > news:o 0HbuAzgEHA.644@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>> > systems.

>> > you
>> > local

>> > am

> providing
>> > DNS
>> > instead
> using
>> > it

>> > am
> other

>> > are
>> > scheme.
>> > do

> unable
> connect
>> > found.

> any

Anonymous
August 16, 2004 7:36:55 PM

Great--thanks for letting us know.

I expect that most folks who need to browse or address by name are probably
doing file and printer sharing. I'm not sure whether you can pare down to a
subset of that--probably not worth the effort to find out!

"Lee Smith" <leeasmith2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Thanks.for your help! Got it.
>
> Sure enough allowing file/print sharing fixed. Dont know why but i can
> live
> with that. Much better than typing IP address or putting in host file.
>
> "Bill Sanderson" <Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> wrote in message
>> That seems pretty clear. Other networks that I have with SP2 deployed
>> are
>> domains with local DNS and WINS servers. Here at home I've none of
>> that,.
>> but I do have File and Print sharing open. You might experiment. Start
>> with the simplest echo ping response. Then maybe just port 445 of the
> bunch
>> related to file and print sharing. See what the minimum is that works.
>> Test whether opening all of file and print sharing does it.
>>
>> I think I should know this answer off the top of my head, but workgroup
> name
>> resolution has always been mysteriouis.
>>
>> "Lee Smith" <leeasmith2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:p 86dnWoWRqktj73cRVn-rg@comcast.com...
>> > Correct, name resolution works for all systems except the one I
> installed
>> > SP
>> > 2 on. Far as firewall goes I made one change. I closed the default
> 3389
>> > and opened 3289. I made no other changes. On that particular system
>> > there
>> > is no folder/printers shared so nothing opens to support it.
>> >

>> > Now on the DUH meter. Just to see I turned off the SP2 Firewall. When
>> > did that I can connect using the name resolution. Don't tell me much
> but
>> > does tell me my suspicion that the SP 2 is cause of problem or to be
> more
>> > precise the firewall update.
>> >

>> > "Bill Sanderson" <Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> wrote in message
>> > news:o 0HbuAzgEHA.644@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>> > systems.

>> > you
>> > local

>> > am

> providing
>> > DNS
>> > instead
> using
>> > it

>> > am
> other

>> > are
>> > scheme.
>> > do

> unable
> connect
>> > found.

> any

Anonymous
August 19, 2004 7:14:00 PM

With the installation of Windows XP SP2, the Internet
Connection Firewall (ICF) is enabled. In order to use
remote desktop and remote access, you must configure the
firewall to open port 3389, the port that both Remote
Desktop and Remote Assistance use. To do this,
go start->settings->network connections. Right click the
connection and click properties. Click the Advanced tab,
then the settings button. Then, in the Services tab,
check Remote Desktop. Those settings should be accepted
in real time and a restart should not be necessary.

That should fix it.

-Kevin

!