Remote Reboot on XP

Grant

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2004

I am looking for a way to remotely reboot XP pc's!

I have downloaded various tools that promise this
functionality, but unfortunately they all come to the
same conclusion : "Access Denied" This has something to
do with the Default Security Model that XP defaults to
(or so I believe)

The command shutdown -r -m \\[hostname] also delivers
a "Access is Denied" message

Someone please set me straight and guide me to this
reletavely simple procedure.
Is there a way (reletavely simple one) of disabling this
security so that I can also copy files "to" the relevant
host and not have to pull the file from a share on the
lan?

Flummoxed!

The message 'Access is denied' is probably because you do not have
administrative privileges on the remote machine to execute the 'shutdown'
command.
Try the following sequence:
1) net use \\hostname\ipc$
Enter the administrative priveleged credentials when prompted

2) Now give the shutdown command

--
Thanks,
Janani.

---------------------------------

"Grant" <geashworth@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I am looking for a way to remotely reboot XP pc's!
>
> I have downloaded various tools that promise this
> functionality, but unfortunately they all come to the
> same conclusion : "Access Denied" This has something to
> do with the Default Security Model that XP defaults to
> (or so I believe)
>
> The command shutdown -r -m \\[hostname] also delivers
> a "Access is Denied" message
>
> Someone please set me straight and guide me to this
> reletavely simple procedure.
> Is there a way (reletavely simple one) of disabling this
> security so that I can also copy files "to" the relevant
> host and not have to pull the file from a share on the
> lan?
>
> Flummoxed!

Grant

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2004

Brilliant!

But, I am now prompted to provide a new username and
password.

I proceed to enter Administrator as the username and the
default password which is <none> and get: Logon failure:
unknown user name or bad password.

I have ventured sililar avenues with various clone
programs, but they all bring me to the same point, where
I logon as "Guest" and have to put in a password. "Guest
is enabled on the machines in question with no password
set (or at least set to blank)

My thinking @ the moment is that there is some sort of
default local policy in XP that prevents all remote
access. Is there not a registry key that helps me
sidestep this on my local LAN?

-discombobulated!

confers no rights.

>"Grant" <geashworth@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> I am looking for a way to remotely reboot XP pc's!
>>
>> I have downloaded various tools that promise this
>> functionality, but unfortunately they all come to the
>> same conclusion : "Access Denied" This has something to
>> do with the Default Security Model that XP defaults to
>> (or so I believe)
>>
>> The command shutdown -r -m \\[hostname] also delivers
>> a "Access is Denied" message
>>
>> Someone please set me straight and guide me to this
>> reletavely simple procedure.
>> Is there a way (reletavely simple one) of disabling
this
>> security so that I can also copy files "to" the
relevant
>> host and not have to pull the file from a share on the
>> lan?
>>
>> Flummoxed!
>

>.

Grant

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2004

Command Achieved Successfully, desregard last comment.

I hadn't enabled the "Guest" account -Cheeky Monkey- and
that then let me give the net use command!

But is there a way to remotely enable these guest
accounts in a batch script?

-"with egg on my face!"

and
>confers no rights.
>>
>>"Grant" <geashworth@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> I am looking for a way to remotely reboot XP pc's!
>>>
>>> I have downloaded various tools that promise this
>>> functionality, but unfortunately they all come to the
>>> same conclusion : "Access Denied" This has something
>>> do with the Default Security Model that XP defaults to
>>> (or so I believe)
>>>
>>> The command shutdown -r -m \\[hostname] also delivers
>>> a "Access is Denied" message
>>>
>>> Someone please set me straight and guide me to this
>>> reletavely simple procedure.
>>> Is there a way (reletavely simple one) of disabling
>this
>>> security so that I can also copy files "to" the
>relevant
>>> host and not have to pull the file from a share on the
>>> lan?
>>>
>>> Flummoxed!
>>

>>.
>>
>.

OldRon

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2012
Hello,

My desktop PC is located on the second floor of the building. Using my laptop and a wireless network connection I process files on the desktop PC while watching TV on the first floor of the building. For some unknown reason my file sharing breaks down and I can no longer access the desktop PC files and folders. However I can successfully ping the desktop PC. It did not take long before I was tired of running up and down the stairs in order to reboot the desktop PC. My first thought was to use the remote feature in shutdown.exe. Good idea with poor results. The remote shutdown returned a message "Access Denied". I'm not a computer genious and have no desire to become one, however I do know how to combine logic with computer programming so I chose that approach for solving my problem.

I wrote a Script file that runs in the background on the desktop PC. It has next to no CPU cost because it polls on thirty second intervals. On the desktop PC I mapped a network drive for my laptop: My Laptop(I:) My laptop is running Windows 7 Professional so in C:\Users folder I placed a text file named Test.txt. When the desktop PC cannot access that file then the running script will first ping my laptop to verify that it is on line. If the ping is successful then the running script shells shutdown /r /f /t 00 and the desktop PC reboots itself. MAKE SURE THE FILE TEST.TXT IS IN THE LAPTOP DRIVE BEFORE LAUNCHING THE SCRIPT FILE!

Hey! It ain't pretty, slick, ingenious or computer skill, but it works everytime. You could easily make your remote PC perform other executable task by modifying the script file so that it opens, reads instructions from the file "Test.txt" and then blanks the file contents to prevent repetition.

The Script:

Copy and paste into Notepad.exe and then save file as Remote Reboot.wsf. Place the file in the remote PC's Startup folder so that is launches when the PC is booted up. To execute the file manually just click on it as you would an other executable file.

<job>
<script language="VBScript">

Set FSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
Set Shell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")

Read = 1
Write = 2
Append = 8

'Add User INFO:

DriveAndFIle = "I:\Test.txt" 'Mapped drive on remote PC to Direct PC
DirectPC = "ron-vaio" 'Network name for Direct PC

Do: WScript.Sleep 1000

If Seconds = 30 Then

If FSO.FileExists(DriveAndFile) = 0 Then

Shell.Run "cmd /c ping " & DirectPC & " > C:\Ping.txt", 0, True

Do: WScript.Sleep 1
Loop Until FSO.FileExists("C:\Ping.txt")

Set FileToRead = FSO.OpenTextFile("C:\Ping.txt", Read, False)
FileContents = FileToRead.ReadAll
FileToRead.Close
Set FileToRead = Nothing

If Instr(1, FileContents, "Received = 1") Or _
InStr(1, FileContents, "Received = 2") Or _
InStr(1, FileContents, "Received = 3") Or _
InStr(1, FileContents, "Received = 4") Then

Exit Do

End If

FSO.DeleteFile("C:\Ping.txt"), 1

End If

Seconds = 0

End If

Seconds = Seconds + 1

Loop

Shell.Run "cmd /c shutdown /r /f /t 00", 0, True ' Restart the Bitch!

FSO.DeleteFile("C:\Ping.txt"), 1

Set FSO = Nothing
Set Shell = Nothing

</script>