Video8 to PC

jt

I recently purchased a Canopus ADVC300 to convert my Video8 tapes to DVD.

My Sony camcorder does not have a S-Video out. Only rca video out.

I have a couple questions that I would greatly appreciate any input on.

If I were to purchase a used camcorder on ebay that has a S-Video out, would
the quality of the signal going to the ADVC300 be any better?

My Sony camcorder is a "Video8" recorder which I believe is Sony terminology.
Will other brands "8mm" camcorders play my "Video8" tapes. I want to make sure
that if I can buy a used camcorder on ebay, it will play my tapes.

Thank you.

John

A Sony TRV-120 may improve your recordings just a little, it also outputs to
Firewire natively. I use a TRV-320 and get great results, the 120 does not
have a memory stick slot.

"JT" <jtrianta@aol.common> wrote in message
>I recently purchased a Canopus ADVC300 to convert my Video8 tapes to DVD.
>
> My Sony camcorder does not have a S-Video out. Only rca video out.
>
> I have a couple questions that I would greatly appreciate any input on.
>
> If I were to purchase a used camcorder on ebay that has a S-Video out,
> would
> the quality of the signal going to the ADVC300 be any better?
>
> My Sony camcorder is a "Video8" recorder which I believe is Sony
> terminology.
> Will other brands "8mm" camcorders play my "Video8" tapes. I want to make
> sure
> that if I can buy a used camcorder on ebay, it will play my tapes.
>
> Thank you.
>
> John

>I recently purchased a Canopus ADVC300 to convert my Video8 tapes to DVD.
>
>My Sony camcorder does not have a S-Video out. Only rca video out.
>
>I have a couple questions that I would greatly appreciate any input on.
>
>If I were to purchase a used camcorder on ebay that has a S-Video out, would
>the quality of the signal going to the ADVC300 be any better?

Best way is to purchase a used "Digital 8" camcorder. All D8s (AFAIK) play all
8mm varieties (V8, Hi8, D8). I have a Sony DCR TRV-530 that does so. Many,
many other Sony D8 models do also. Then you can install a (~US$20) firewire
("IEEE 1394") card in your computer and directly transfer directly from the
camcorder to the computer in digital form.

Many Sony D8s (maybe all) have a built-in time-base corrector (TBC) that will
usually greatly improve your older V8 tapes.

>My Sony camcorder is a "Video8" recorder which I believe is Sony terminology.
>
>Will other brands "8mm" camcorders play my "Video8" tapes. I want to make
>sure
>that if I can buy a used camcorder on ebay, it will play my tapes.

"V8", "video8", "Hi8", etc are Sony names for video formats and hardware
systems that Sony invented and marketed first.

Any V8 (properly adjusted) will play any V8 tape. Any Hi8 (") will play any V8
or Hi8 tape. Most or all D8 will play any V8, Hi8, or D8 tape.

>Thank you.
>
>John

webpa

WEBPA said:

>>Best way is to purchase a used "Digital 8" camcorder. All D8s (AFAIK) play
all
8mm varieties (V8, Hi8, D8).>>

If you buy a used one it probably will be backward compatible. However, the
new models in the cheaper range have dropped this functionality.

Dave
http://members.tripod.com/~VideoDave

jt

Thanks for all the input.

Im going to buy a used camcorder with TBC and see how it works.

Thanks again

John

"WEBPA" <webpa@aol.com> wrote in message
> >I recently purchased a Canopus ADVC300 to convert my Video8 tapes to DVD.
> >
> >My Sony camcorder does not have a S-Video out. Only rca video out.
> >
> >I have a couple questions that I would greatly appreciate any input on.
> >
> >If I were to purchase a used camcorder on ebay that has a S-Video out,
would
> >the quality of the signal going to the ADVC300 be any better?
>
> Best way is to purchase a used "Digital 8" camcorder. All D8s (AFAIK)
play all
> 8mm varieties (V8, Hi8, D8). I have a Sony DCR TRV-530 that does so.
Many,
> many other Sony D8 models do also. Then you can install a (~US$20)
firewire
> ("IEEE 1394") card in your computer and directly transfer directly from
the
> camcorder to the computer in digital form.

Excuse me jumping in, but I have a question re: Digital 8. I have a Sony
TRV-240 Digital8 camcorder with a digital video out jack. I have a cable
that goes from that to the USB port, then I can capture video into Windows
movie maker. The quality, though, is far poorer than I would like. Would a
firewire card help me here?

Nute wrote:

> I have a Sony TRV-240 Digital8 camcorder with a digital video
> out jack. I have a cable that goes from that to the USB port,
> then I can capture video into Windows movie maker. The quality,
> though, is far poorer than I would like. Would a firewire card
> help me here?

Short answer: Yes.

Longer answer: There is a peculiar duality with the digital
camcorders, which often baffles newbies. It generally goes
like this:

1) You will only get full-screen, full framerate digital DV
video out of the Firewire / DV / IEEE-1394 port. This is
due to historical reasons: when DV standard was originally
conceived, USB was not yet there and it was not fast enough,
so the whole DV standard was built around Firewire. (You
can also use the Firewire port for realtime monitoring
the picture on your tv set, connected to your camcorder's
AV port, while editing the video on your computer - which
is better than monitoring on the computer screen.)

2) Still camera type functions (and sometimes web camera
type functions, too) usually only work through the USB port.

There is also another way to look at it:

1) Anything you do to access the memory card on your camcorder
is usually done through the USB port.

2) Anything you do to access the full-screen / full quality
video, either shot live or played back from the tape, is done
through the Firewire port.

--
znark

Some camcorders now claim USB 2 compatibility. Does anyone know if the
cameras are USB 2 Hi-speed?

THanks,

--
machonexyz42@hotmail.com
remove "xyz" to email me directly

machonexyz42@hotmail.com wrote:

> Some camcorders now claim USB 2 compatibility. Does anyone
> know if the cameras are USB 2 Hi-speed?

Even if they are USB 2, that does not necessarily help with
getting the actual, true DV video out through the USB bus.

DV and Firewire are basically _designed_ to live in symbiosis.
The procedure and protocols needed for connecting two DV
devices via Firewire, and for tranferring DV streams over it,
is well-defined and standardized, ensuring robust
compatibility between all manufacturers of DV/D8 equipment.
In Firewire land, as regarding to DV streams, Things Just
Work.

The same cannot be said about USB: to my knowledge, there is
no standardized way to transfer true DV streams over USB 2. I
do not know if there is even a proprietary implementation of
of any kind of realtime DV (as per IEC 61834) transfer over
USB 2. Sometimes there have been rumors of such camcorders,
but as far as I know, they have always turned out being
something else (such as a webcam style interface with a lower
framerate and resolution, using some other codec than DV.)

--
znark