Context menu on Desktop

August 16, 2004 10:48:54 AM

When I right-click on the desktop explorer.exe (all
instances) crash with the following error:

AppName: explorer.exe AppVer: 6.0.2800.1106 ModName:
msvcrt.dll
ModVer: 7.0.2600.1106 Offset: 00033ec0

Any ideas?

More about : context menu desktop

Anonymous
August 17, 2004 4:10:00 AM

Not offhand. Are you clear that your machine is free of both viruses and
commercial spyware or adware?

"Jakob Madsen" <Jakob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I right-click on the desktop explorer.exe (all
> instances) crash with the following error:
>
> AppName: explorer.exe AppVer: 6.0.2800.1106 ModName:
> msvcrt.dll
> ModVer: 7.0.2600.1106 Offset: 00033ec0
>
> Any ideas?
Anonymous
August 18, 2004 8:37:35 AM

The WinXP PC I am remote controlling (where the explorers
crash) has Norton AV running, I will try to disable. But
the *only* thing that does not work is when I right-click
on the desktop. I can right click in any folder
(including C:\Documents and Settings\..\Desktop), but not
on the Desktop "background".

Background is 'none' and no screensaver. When directly
connected to the PC it works fine.

It does not seem to matter which PC I am using to connect
from.

I guess I just wanted to hear if someone else has
experienced this, know the reason or of a fix.

Thanks,
Jakob

August 19, 2004 9:08:12 PM

Have you updated the video driver on the remote (crashing) machine lately?
(i.e. might this behavior relate to a new video driver that isn't working
well with Remote Desktop?)

This isn't ringing a bell with me, I'm afraid, maybe others will have more
to say.

> The WinXP PC I am remote controlling (where the explorers
> crash) has Norton AV running, I will try to disable. But
> the *only* thing that does not work is when I right-click
> on the desktop. I can right click in any folder
> (including C:\Documents and Settings\..\Desktop), but not
> on the Desktop "background".
>
> Background is 'none' and no screensaver. When directly
> connected to the PC it works fine.
>
> It does not seem to matter which PC I am using to connect
> from.
>
> I guess I just wanted to hear if someone else has
> experienced this, know the reason or of a fix.
>
> Thanks,
> Jakob

Anonymous
August 19, 2004 10:40:28 PM

Thanks Bill!

I downloaded the newest video driver for my built-in
adapter (Dell PC) directly from Intel and away went the
problem.

Anonymous
August 20, 2004 4:13:27 PM

That's great--perhaps some other update had a conflict with the older video
driver.

!