Context menu on Desktop

When I right-click on the desktop explorer.exe (all
instances) crash with the following error:

AppName: explorer.exe AppVer: 6.0.2800.1106 ModName:
msvcrt.dll
ModVer: 7.0.2600.1106 Offset: 00033ec0

Any ideas?
5 answers Last reply
More about context menu desktop

    Not offhand. Are you clear that your machine is free of both viruses and
    commercial spyware or adware?

    "Jakob Madsen" <Jakob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > When I right-click on the desktop explorer.exe (all
    > instances) crash with the following error:
    >
    > AppName: explorer.exe AppVer: 6.0.2800.1106 ModName:
    > msvcrt.dll
    > ModVer: 7.0.2600.1106 Offset: 00033ec0
    >
    > Any ideas?

    The WinXP PC I am remote controlling (where the explorers
    crash) has Norton AV running, I will try to disable. But
    the *only* thing that does not work is when I right-click
    on the desktop. I can right click in any folder
    (including C:\Documents and Settings\..\Desktop), but not
    on the Desktop "background".

    Background is 'none' and no screensaver. When directly
    connected to the PC it works fine.

    It does not seem to matter which PC I am using to connect
    from.

    I guess I just wanted to hear if someone else has
    experienced this, know the reason or of a fix.

    Thanks,
    Jakob

    Have you updated the video driver on the remote (crashing) machine lately?
    (i.e. might this behavior relate to a new video driver that isn't working
    well with Remote Desktop?)

    This isn't ringing a bell with me, I'm afraid, maybe others will have more
    to say.

    > The WinXP PC I am remote controlling (where the explorers
    > crash) has Norton AV running, I will try to disable. But
    > the *only* thing that does not work is when I right-click
    > on the desktop. I can right click in any folder
    > (including C:\Documents and Settings\..\Desktop), but not
    > on the Desktop "background".
    >
    > Background is 'none' and no screensaver. When directly
    > connected to the PC it works fine.
    >
    > It does not seem to matter which PC I am using to connect
    > from.
    >
    > I guess I just wanted to hear if someone else has
    > experienced this, know the reason or of a fix.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Jakob

    Thanks Bill!

    I downloaded the newest video driver for my built-in
    adapter (Dell PC) directly from Intel and away went the
    problem.

    That's great--perhaps some other update had a conflict with the older video
    driver.

    > Thanks Bill!
    >
    > I downloaded the newest video driver for my built-in
    > adapter (Dell PC) directly from Intel and away went the
    > problem.

Desktops Explorer Microsoft Windows XP