No Remote Desktop After SP2 Install

August 16, 2004 11:54:03 AM

Hello All

Right, basic problem is that I can no longer get Remote
Desktop to work from my Windows XP main system to my
server running Windows Server 2003.

It has been working perfectly fine untill I have
installed SP2 on the main system. No all I get is an
error saying that it has timed out when trying to connect.

I have checked the box in the new XP firewall for remote
desktop, and it's the same. I have also disabled the
firewall totally and again it will not work.

I have no other firewalls installed on either system, my
router does that job for the server.

I can still view all network shares on the server and
copy to and from those. I can also do a remote desktop
from the server to the main system without problem.

I have tried installing SP2 from a XP and SP1 system, and
have also tried a fresh install from a XP SP2 Sliptreamed
cd and have the same problems both times. I have just
reinstalled back to a fresh XP SP1 systemm checked remote
desktop was working - it was, then installed SP2, and
after the restart it will no longer connect.

Any ideas people?

Thanks

Nick Goodall
Anonymous
August 16, 2004 3:31:25 PM

You using a difrent port other than the 3389? If so you need to allow that
through firewall. That one of the first things I had to fix after
installing SP2.

"Nick Goodall" <nick_goodall21@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello All
>
> Right, basic problem is that I can no longer get Remote
> Desktop to work from my Windows XP main system to my
> server running Windows Server 2003.
>
> It has been working perfectly fine untill I have
> installed SP2 on the main system. No all I get is an
> error saying that it has timed out when trying to connect.
>
> I have checked the box in the new XP firewall for remote
> desktop, and it's the same. I have also disabled the
> firewall totally and again it will not work.
>
> I have no other firewalls installed on either system, my
> router does that job for the server.
>
> I can still view all network shares on the server and
> copy to and from those. I can also do a remote desktop
> from the server to the main system without problem.
>
> I have tried installing SP2 from a XP and SP1 system, and
> have also tried a fresh install from a XP SP2 Sliptreamed
> cd and have the same problems both times. I have just
> reinstalled back to a fresh XP SP1 systemm checked remote
> desktop was working - it was, then installed SP2, and
> after the restart it will no longer connect.
>
> Any ideas people?
>
> Thanks
>
> Nick Goodall
Anonymous
August 17, 2004 12:29:25 AM

I am having the same problem / found your
post while searching for a solution. I
will update if I find one. I have tried
disabling all firewalls and attempting to
telnet to 127.0.0.1 port 3389 - this has
also failed.

--
edn2
August 17, 2004 11:04:20 AM

This is getting very annoying now, I can't find any way
to get this working again apart from complete windows
reinstall back to SP1.

Nick

---------------
>View this thread: http://www.mcse.ms/message960572.html
>
>.

Anonymous
August 17, 2004 12:02:07 PM

I uninstalled SP2, reinstalled ZoneAlarm
(which I had uninstalled while
troubleshooting) and everything works
properly again.

I guess I'll give Microsoft a few more
months to let the customers find a
solution ;-) ... but wasn't that what
the "beta" was supposed to be?

Here's what I've confirmed:
(1) problem starts when SP2 installed
(2) problem ends when SP2 removed
(3) problem is not zonealarm
(4) exists even when XP firewall is off
(5) port 3389 never opens
(6) NO error messages (silent failure)

I could say more but I think I've wasted
enough time on this.

Good luck all

and thanks again Microsoft!

--
edn2
August 18, 2004 11:22:19 AM

Right, got slightly further.

I tried it in 'Safe Mode With Networking' and it connects
first time every time.

I've tried changing the port from 3389 to 3390 and the did
not help.

I've tried stripping out all msconfig startup programs and
non-microsoft services to try to get as close to safe mode
but still running windows normally - still not working.

I have again tried with the firewall off and on. One thing
I did notice is that with the firewall on when you look in
the firewall log file there is no entry in there for this
remote connection. So it's not even getting as far as that
level.

Nick

--------------
>View this thread: http://www.mcse.ms/message960572.html
>
>.

Anonymous
August 18, 2004 4:53:42 PM

I should mention that I also installed SP2 on my laptop and terminal
services work fine on it. I'm not sure what it is about the two
machines is making the difference, but I am guessing it is hardware
because I run nearly identical software configurations (with the
exception of server stuff and games which I don't run on the laptop).
The primary hardware differnces are that the desktop CPU/chipset/video
is AMD/nVidia/nVidia and the laptop is Intel/Intel/Intel.

As for the server software, I run apache (over ssl) and openvpn servers
on my desktop machine. These continued to work, even when I enabled the
SP2 firewall. But I never told the firewall to allow them! Terminal
services failed, even as I was able to confirm the firewall settings
from the command line. I would just say I don't understand how to use
the SP2 firewall, but I experienced problems even with it turned
completely off (red lights, warning shield, and all).

Nick Goodall wrote:

> Right, got slightly further.
>
> I tried it in 'Safe Mode With Networking' and it connects
> first time every time.
>
> I've tried changing the port from 3389 to 3390 and the did
> not help.
>
> I've tried stripping out all msconfig startup programs and
> non-microsoft services to try to get as close to safe mode
> but still running windows normally - still not working.
>
> I have again tried with the firewall off and on. One thing
> I did notice is that with the firewall on when you look in
> the firewall log file there is no entry in there for this
> remote connection. So it's not even getting as far as that
> level.
>
> Nick

Anonymous
August 19, 2004 1:57:13 AM

I'll send this to the TS team at MS to see if they are seeing tech
support incidents on this, but I haven't been able to reproduce this
on ten machines I have tried...

Getting this solved will involve someone who has this issue to open up
a support incident with either MS or your OEM. However, this may cost
$$$...

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 07:04:20 -0700,

>This is getting very annoying now, I can't find any way
>to get this working again apart from complete windows
>reinstall back to SP1.
>
>Nick

Anonymous
August 19, 2004 11:24:07 AM

I was just using the default port of 3389, and it was
definatly allowed in the firewall.

I have also now tried changing it all to port 3390 and
that mode no difference. I can connect to the server from
my brothers pc (XP with RTM SP2) using port 3390 (and
default if set) but not from my system which had just the
same version of windows and same SP installed.

Nick

August 19, 2004 11:38:21 AM

"Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" <jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com> wrote
in news:ki58i0h4aac5ju1jfnfed4g66v1cc7movm@4ax.com:

> I'll send this to the TS team at MS to see if they are seeing tech
> support incidents on this, but I haven't been able to reproduce this
> on ten machines I have tried...
>
> Getting this solved will involve someone who has this issue to open up
> a support incident with either MS or your OEM. However, this may cost
> $$$...
>
> Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking & Smart Display MVP)

Yeah, I would have started a support incident long ago, but believe it or
not, even though we pay close to 10K a year for our "campus agreement"
(just for our one college on campus, since not college & deptartment wanted
to pitch in), that yearly license doesn't include any free support.

Anyway, I've been too busy to post any more info, but I've tried even more
things, going back and forth from a pre-SP2 system restore point,
uninstalling this, changing that, installing SP2, but nothing at all has
worked yet. I've now ruled out ATI video drivers, as well.

Also, it is hard, even for me, to discount Windows Firwall, despite the
fact I do have the 3389 exception set and I can verify it with the netsh
firewall commands. I even enabled logging on the firewall and you can see
my client computer connecting and then it immediately (same second) drops,
which is exactly what I'm seeing on the various clients I try to connect.
Again, this error is a big mystery, because there is zero documentation I
can find about what the root cause would be:
"The remote computer has ended the connection."

Now, Nick, who started this thread, says he can get it in with Safe Mode
With Networking, but in normal mode he doesn't get any firewall log
entries. It doesn't necessarily sound like we are experiencing the same
problem, as he says his times out. My problem (and at least three others
in the various newsgroups or have e-mailed me from my newsgroup postings,
have said they are having a similar problem) is the fact I'm connecting
literally for a split second and then being dropped, which my firewall log
confirms.

It might be strange, it might be obscure, it is likely something a handful
of us are just doing - and note, I have a few other SP2-updated systems
that do *not* have this problem, and no one else on campus has reported a
problem, so I know there has to be some very specific circumstances behind
it. Nonetheless, since SP2 still hasn't been widely deployed at all, I
fully expect the number of incidents of this 'SP2 kills Remote Desktop'
problem to grow exponentially as thousands of XP Pro users install SP2 over
the coming weeks and months.

- Tom
Anonymous
August 22, 2004 2:36:23 PM

Is there any chance there was a leftover service from Zone Alarm still
running on the SP2 machine which failed, even though Zone Alarm was not in
use at the time?

"edn2" <edn2@someplace.com> wrote in message
news:o kGlXPUhEHA.3664@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
>I should mention that I also installed SP2 on my laptop and terminal
>services work fine on it. I'm not sure what it is about the two machines
>is making the difference, but I am guessing it is hardware because I run
>nearly identical software configurations (with the exception of server
>stuff and games which I don't run on the laptop). The primary hardware
>differnces are that the desktop CPU/chipset/video is AMD/nVidia/nVidia and
>the laptop is Intel/Intel/Intel.
>
> As for the server software, I run apache (over ssl) and openvpn servers on
> my desktop machine. These continued to work, even when I enabled the SP2
> firewall. But I never told the firewall to allow them! Terminal services
> failed, even as I was able to confirm the firewall settings from the
> command line. I would just say I don't understand how to use the SP2
> firewall, but I experienced problems even with it turned completely off
> (red lights, warning shield, and all).
>
> Nick Goodall wrote:
>
>> Right, got slightly further.
>>
>> I tried it in 'Safe Mode With Networking' and it connects first time
>> every time.
>>
>> I've tried changing the port from 3389 to 3390 and the did not help.
>>
>> I've tried stripping out all msconfig startup programs and non-microsoft
>> services to try to get as close to safe mode but still running windows
>> normally - still not working.
>>
>> I have again tried with the firewall off and on. One thing I did notice
>> is that with the firewall on when you look in the firewall log file there
>> is no entry in there for this remote connection. So it's not even getting
>> as far as that level.
>>
>> Nick

Anonymous
August 22, 2004 2:38:06 PM

Hmm - not Nvidia video driver service? Do I recall that service causing
this error message? Perhaps the video driver rev changed with SP2?

"Tom" <Use_Reply_To_Address@qxqx.net> wrote in message
> [...]
> problem, as he says his times out. My problem (and at least three others
> in the various newsgroups or have e-mailed me from my newsgroup postings,
> have said they are having a similar problem) is the fact I'm connecting
> literally for a split second and then being dropped, which my firewall log
> confirms.
>
> It might be strange, it might be obscure, it is likely something a handful
> of us are just doing - and note, I have a few other SP2-updated systems
> that do *not* have this problem, and no one else on campus has reported a
> problem, so I know there has to be some very specific circumstances behind
> it. Nonetheless, since SP2 still hasn't been widely deployed at all, I
> fully expect the number of incidents of this 'SP2 kills Remote Desktop'
> problem to grow exponentially as thousands of XP Pro users install SP2

Anonymous
August 22, 2004 8:11:31 PM

Nope faid not on my system. Not got any other firewall
software running at all.

I can install SP2 and it stops working, got to control
pannel > add/remove programs and remove SP2 and it starts
working again.

Still got no further.....

Nick

Anonymous
August 22, 2004 8:12:39 PM

I'm using an ATI video card, and got no nVidia gfx
drivers on the system anywhere.

Nick

Anonymous
August 23, 2004 2:46:09 AM

Here's my suggestion, and I'd like to hear how it goes.

If you are in the US or Canada, call 1-866-pcsafety and see whether this
issue qualifies for free Microsoft PSS support.

If you are not in the US or Canada, call your local Microsoft offices, as
found at:

http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx

I probably should have suggested this earlier, but I'm not crystal clear
that SP2 issues qualify.

They'll tell you.

Let us know how it goes. If you can't get free support by this mechanism,
let us know what they say, and I'll check whether the policy is being
interpreted correctly.

> Nope faid not on my system. Not got any other firewall
> software running at all.
>
> I can install SP2 and it stops working, got to control
> pannel > add/remove programs and remove SP2 and it starts
> working again.
>
> Still got no further.....
>
> Nick

Anonymous
August 25, 2004 3:45:00 PM

Has anyone came up with a good answer for this as it is affecting me
as well. I have an office full of IBM Netvista M42s with, with an OEM
WXPP image on all of them running SP2. I cannot connect to any of the
M42s, however, I can connect to my IBM Thinkpad T40s running an OEM
WXPP image with SP2 from the M42s...

dcc

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 07:54:03 -0700, "Nick Goodall"
<nick_goodall21@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Hello All
>
>Right, basic problem is that I can no longer get Remote
>Desktop to work from my Windows XP main system to my
>server running Windows Server 2003.
>
>It has been working perfectly fine untill I have
>installed SP2 on the main system. No all I get is an
>error saying that it has timed out when trying to connect.
>
>I have checked the box in the new XP firewall for remote
>desktop, and it's the same. I have also disabled the
>firewall totally and again it will not work.
>
>I have no other firewalls installed on either system, my
>router does that job for the server.
>
>I can still view all network shares on the server and
>copy to and from those. I can also do a remote desktop
>from the server to the main system without problem.
>
>I have tried installing SP2 from a XP and SP1 system, and
>have also tried a fresh install from a XP SP2 Sliptreamed
>cd and have the same problems both times. I have just
>reinstalled back to a fresh XP SP1 systemm checked remote
>desktop was working - it was, then installed SP2, and
>after the restart it will no longer connect.
>
>Any ideas people?
>
>Thanks
>
>Nick Goodall
Anonymous
August 26, 2004 9:55:01 AM

Interesting... my machine also has the same configuration:
CPU=AMD
video/nVidia

....and has the exact same problem. Could it be this particular configuration?

"edn2" wrote:

> The primary hardware differnces are that the desktop CPU/chipset/video
> is AMD/nVidia/nVidia and the laptop is Intel/Intel/Intel.
August 26, 2004 11:06:44 AM

Are you sure you have Remote Desktop enabled? It turns out that this
was simply due to an ID10T error on my end. When XP SP2 installs it
disables the Remote Desktop setting in My Computer > Remote tab.

I know I had RDP enabled and working before the install... so then I
after installed I assumed that that was still the case and that I was
having a Windows Firewall issue. I was wrong. Once I enabled Remote
Desktop again, everything works fine!

<anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:<ab7201c4889d$84ae1260$a501280a@phx.gbl>...
> I'm using an ATI video card, and got no nVidia gfx
> drivers on the system anywhere.
>
> Nick

Anonymous
August 28, 2004 9:55:45 PM

Actually, file a support incident. SP2 specific problems are
generally free:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;en-us;Prodoffer80

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 07:38:21 -0700, Tom
> [...]

>problem, as he says his times out. My problem (and at least three others
>in the various newsgroups or have e-mailed me from my newsgroup postings,
>have said they are having a similar problem) is the fact I'm connecting
>literally for a split second and then being dropped, which my firewall log
>confirms.
>
>It might be strange, it might be obscure, it is likely something a handful
>of us are just doing - and note, I have a few other SP2-updated systems
>that do *not* have this problem, and no one else on campus has reported a
>problem, so I know there has to be some very specific circumstances behind
>it. Nonetheless, since SP2 still hasn't been widely deployed at all, I
>fully expect the number of incidents of this 'SP2 kills Remote Desktop'
>problem to grow exponentially as thousands of XP Pro users install SP2 over

August 28, 2004 11:28:04 PM

I am also experiencing this issue and have checked all things
mentioned in this thread through 8/28. I have an IBM T21 laptop with
WinXP SP2 and a Dell GX110 desktop with WinXP SP2 both on a wireless
(802.11g) home network (SWB DSL). SP2 was installed from the internet
on both systems. I was able to connect to the desktop from the laptop
until after I installed SP2. (In fact I started the SP2 install on my
desktop via the RD connection on my laptop.) Now nada.
Anonymous
August 31, 2004 1:12:38 AM

In this case, file a support incident. SP2 specific problems are

On 28 Aug 2004 19:28:04 -0700, colby@alumni.utexas.net (Colby) wrote:

>I am also experiencing this issue and have checked all things
>mentioned in this thread through 8/28. I have an IBM T21 laptop with
>WinXP SP2 and a Dell GX110 desktop with WinXP SP2 both on a wireless
>(802.11g) home network (SWB DSL). SP2 was installed from the internet
>on both systems. I was able to connect to the desktop from the laptop
>until after I installed SP2. (In fact I started the SP2 install on my
>desktop via the RD connection on my laptop.) Now nada.
Anonymous
August 31, 2004 7:37:02 AM

From my experiences here I can add the following:

My laptop has an Intel CPU and a Nvidia graphice card. Since the install of
SP2 I can connect to any of our servers running Intel CPUs, all of which have
ATI graphics, however the one server we have with an AMD CPU and Nvidia card
I can no longer connect to. This may just be a coincidence but this has only
been the case since the SP2 install and if I remove SP2 I can connect to the
AMD server again.

As I can connect to the other servers it would appear that the mstsc
connection is being allowed through the XP firewall but I cannot see why the
server hardware should be relevant.

"Luis Cordeiro" wrote:

> Interesting... my machine also has the same configuration:
> CPU=AMD
> video/nVidia
>
> ...and has the exact same problem. Could it be this particular configuration?
>

> "edn2" wrote:
>
> > The primary hardware differnces are that the desktop CPU/chipset/video
> > is AMD/nVidia/nVidia and the laptop is Intel/Intel/Intel.
Anonymous
August 31, 2004 6:37:00 PM

Interesting. This shouldn't happen for most folks. I've installed SP2 on a
number of machines--a dozen or so, via Remote Desktop and haven't seen this
issue. These machines in the main had the SP1 firewall in place with RD
opened.

"Steven" <landsteven@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Are you sure you have Remote Desktop enabled? It turns out that this
> was simply due to an ID10T error on my end. When XP SP2 installs it
> disables the Remote Desktop setting in My Computer > Remote tab.
>
> I know I had RDP enabled and working before the install... so then I
> after installed I assumed that that was still the case and that I was
> having a Windows Firewall issue. I was wrong. Once I enabled Remote
> Desktop again, everything works fine!
>
> <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> I'm using an ATI video card, and got no nVidia gfx
>> drivers on the system anywhere.
>>
>> Nick

Anonymous
September 1, 2004 1:56:20 PM

I just wanted to let you know that I had the same problem. All the other
XP boxes that had XP2 installed were fine except mine. The Admins box,
how nice. During my searches on the web I could not find any fix for
this. I did find someone talking about Concurrent users not in the
final build. But he saved some dll files from an older build that
allowed for this option. So I went ahead and downloaded the zip file
and followed the directions. My was not working so why not try it. Once
I finished installing the new Termserv files I rebooted and tried it. I
was able to connect on the first try. I am posting this here to allow
others to try to see if this fixes your problem. Here is the link for
the files (You will have to register in order to get them).

http://forum.osnn.net/showthread.php?t=39878

Happy Computing and good luck.

--
parrz1
September 2, 2004 1:02:55 AM

One thing that I noted - if you enable Remote Desktop via the Group
Policy method, it will not automatically enable the port in the ICF...
Weird bug...

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 14:37:00 -0400, "Bill Sanderson"
<Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> wrote:

>Interesting. This shouldn't happen for most folks. I've installed SP2 on a
>number of machines--a dozen or so, via Remote Desktop and haven't seen this
>issue. These machines in the main had the SP1 firewall in place with RD
>opened.
>
>"Steven" <landsteven@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Are you sure you have Remote Desktop enabled? It turns out that this
>> was simply due to an ID10T error on my end. When XP SP2 installs it
>> disables the Remote Desktop setting in My Computer > Remote tab.
>>
>> I know I had RDP enabled and working before the install... so then I
>> after installed I assumed that that was still the case and that I was
>> having a Windows Firewall issue. I was wrong. Once I enabled Remote
>> Desktop again, everything works fine!
>>
>> <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> I'm using an ATI video card, and got no nVidia gfx
>>> drivers on the system anywhere.
>>>
>>> Nick

Anonymous
September 2, 2004 3:16:02 AM

The port isn't opened automagically, even if you've enabled the feature "by
hand."

My thinking about the reasoning behind this is that the ICF was designed to
be used as an Internet facing firewall, originally, and it is very
reasonable to think that folks might want RD enabled within a LAN, but not
accessable from the Internet--so opening it in the ICF remained a manual
step.

"Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" <jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com> wrote
in message news:6pvcj09rtfftemt9n968kplkb22vgrmmfi@4ax.com...
> One thing that I noted - if you enable Remote Desktop via the Group
> Policy method, it will not automatically enable the port in the ICF...
> Weird bug...
>
> Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking & Smart Display MVP)

> On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 14:37:00 -0400, "Bill Sanderson"
> <Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> wrote:
>
>>Interesting. This shouldn't happen for most folks. I've installed SP2 on
>>number of machines--a dozen or so, via Remote Desktop and haven't seen
>>this
>>issue. These machines in the main had the SP1 firewall in place with RD
>>opened.
>>
>>"Steven" <landsteven@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Are you sure you have Remote Desktop enabled? It turns out that this
>>> was simply due to an ID10T error on my end. When XP SP2 installs it
>>> disables the Remote Desktop setting in My Computer > Remote tab.
>>>
>>> I know I had RDP enabled and working before the install... so then I
>>> after installed I assumed that that was still the case and that I was
>>> having a Windows Firewall issue. I was wrong. Once I enabled Remote
>>> Desktop again, everything works fine!
>>>
>>> <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
September 2, 2004 3:17:18 AM

Thanks- very nice link!

"Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" <jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com> wrote
in message news:0a32j0tt7c9g2r6ah5t3ncof65ihe4j4ri@4ax.com...
> [...]
>>problem, as he says his times out. My problem (and at least three others
>>in the various newsgroups or have e-mailed me from my newsgroup postings,
>>have said they are having a similar problem) is the fact I'm connecting
>>literally for a split second and then being dropped, which my firewall log
>>confirms.
>>
>>It might be strange, it might be obscure, it is likely something a handful
>>of us are just doing - and note, I have a few other SP2-updated systems
>>that do *not* have this problem, and no one else on campus has reported a
>>problem, so I know there has to be some very specific circumstances behind
>>it. Nonetheless, since SP2 still hasn't been widely deployed at all, I
>>fully expect the number of incidents of this 'SP2 kills Remote Desktop'
>>problem to grow exponentially as thousands of XP Pro users install SP2

Anonymous
September 4, 2004 12:01:38 AM

Yep.. I asked for clarification as there are many new SP2-specific
issues.

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 23:17:18 -0400, "Bill Sanderson"
> [...]

>>>problem, as he says his times out. My problem (and at least three others
>>>in the various newsgroups or have e-mailed me from my newsgroup postings,
>>>have said they are having a similar problem) is the fact I'm connecting
>>>literally for a split second and then being dropped, which my firewall log
>>>confirms.
>>>
>>>It might be strange, it might be obscure, it is likely something a handful
>>>of us are just doing - and note, I have a few other SP2-updated systems
>>>that do *not* have this problem, and no one else on campus has reported a
>>>problem, so I know there has to be some very specific circumstances behind
>>>it. Nonetheless, since SP2 still hasn't been widely deployed at all, I
>>>fully expect the number of incidents of this 'SP2 kills Remote Desktop'
>>>problem to grow exponentially as thousands of XP Pro users install SP2

Anonymous
September 4, 2004 2:26:58 AM

That link impresses me more than their providing free CD's--there's a lot
more cost involved in providing that support than pressing and mailing a few
(10's of thousands?) CD's

"Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" <jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com> wrote
in message news:D u4ij0l1447cct0l7bfjpicem0v4pgea7j@4ax.com...
> Yep.. I asked for clarification as there are many new SP2-specific
> issues.
>
> Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking & Smart Display MVP)

> On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 23:17:18 -0400, "Bill Sanderson"
> <Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> wrote:
>
>>Thanks- very nice link!
>>
>>"Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" <jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com>
>>wrote
>>in message news:0a32j0tt7c9g2r6ah5t3ncof65ihe4j4ri@4ax.com...
>>> Actually, file a support incident. SP2 specific problems are
>>> generally free:
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;en-us;Prodoffer80
>>>
>>> Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking & Smart Display MVP)
>>> jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com
>>>
>>> Please post all responses to the newsgroups for the benefit
>>> of all USENET users. Messages sent via email may or may not
>>> be answered depending on time availability....
>>>
>>> Remote Networking Technology Support Site -
>>> http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
>>> Windows XP Expert Zone - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone

Anonymous
September 14, 2004 12:02:20 AM

Same here, works on my AMD/Nvidia laptop but not on my Intel/Nvidia
desktop. Just connects for a split second and disconnects, no error
messages nothing.

Colby wrote:
> *I am also experiencing this issue and have checked all things
> mentioned in this thread through 8/28. I have an IBM T21 laptop
> with
> WinXP SP2 and a Dell GX110 desktop with WinXP SP2 both on a wireless
> (802.11g) home network (SWB DSL). SP2 was installed from the
> internet
> on both systems. I was able to connect to the desktop from the
> laptop
> until after I installed SP2. (In fact I started the SP2 install on
> my
> desktop via the RD connection on my laptop.) Now nada. *

--
recoiledsnake
September 15, 2004 12:21:17 AM

So--when you called Microsoft PSS, what did they say?

"recoiledsnake" <recoiledsnake.1cjqoa@mail.mcse.ms> wrote in message

> Same here, works on my AMD/Nvidia laptop but not on my Intel/Nvidia
> desktop. Just connects for a split second and disconnects, no error
> messages nothing.
>

> Colby wrote:
>> *I am also experiencing this issue and have checked all things
>> mentioned in this thread through 8/28. I have an IBM T21 laptop
>> with
>> WinXP SP2 and a Dell GX110 desktop with WinXP SP2 both on a wireless
>> (802.11g) home network (SWB DSL). SP2 was installed from the
>> internet
>> on both systems. I was able to connect to the desktop from the
>> laptop
>> until after I installed SP2. (In fact I started the SP2 install on
>> my
>> desktop via the RD connection on my laptop.) Now nada. *
>

> --
> recoiledsnake

September 15, 2004 1:55:33 PM

Success. I called MS service yesterday - they had me use the "msconfig"
application (start menu - run - msconfig) to disable nonessential
services and tray items, then (reboot and) install SP2. While there are
a couple of other strange things happening, this advice fixed the
problem with the remote desktop (server) and I will keep SP2 installed
this time.

Good luck all

Bill Sanderson wrote:
> So--when you called Microsoft PSS, what did they say?
>
> "recoiledsnake" <recoiledsnake.1cjqoa@mail.mcse.ms> wrote in message
>
>>Same here, works on my AMD/Nvidia laptop but not on my Intel/Nvidia
>>desktop. Just connects for a split second and disconnects, no error
>>messages nothing.
>>

>>Colby wrote:
>>
>>>*I am also experiencing this issue and have checked all things
>>>mentioned in this thread through 8/28. I have an IBM T21 laptop
>>>with
>>>WinXP SP2 and a Dell GX110 desktop with WinXP SP2 both on a wireless
>>>(802.11g) home network (SWB DSL). SP2 was installed from the
>>>internet
>>>on both systems. I was able to connect to the desktop from the
>>>laptop
>>>until after I installed SP2. (In fact I started the SP2 install on
>>>my
>>>desktop via the RD connection on my laptop.) Now nada. *
>>

>>--
>>recoiledsnake

September 15, 2004 7:05:01 PM

I had a similar problem and was able to fix it from the Registry: I deleted
the folder 'License000' under this path:

Hkey_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\MSLicensing\Store\License000.

As usual, export it first, in case you need to restore it. It took me days
to find this easy solution. It was on the experts-exchange.com website.

Jerry

"Bill Sanderson" wrote:

> The port isn't opened automagically, even if you've enabled the feature "by
> hand."
>
> My thinking about the reasoning behind this is that the ICF was designed to
> be used as an Internet facing firewall, originally, and it is very
> reasonable to think that folks might want RD enabled within a LAN, but not
> accessable from the Internet--so opening it in the ICF remained a manual
> step.
>
> "Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" <jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com> wrote
> in message news:6pvcj09rtfftemt9n968kplkb22vgrmmfi@4ax.com...
> > One thing that I noted - if you enable Remote Desktop via the Group
> > Policy method, it will not automatically enable the port in the ICF...
> > Weird bug...
> >
> > Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking & Smart Display MVP)
> > jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com
> >
> > Please post all responses to the newsgroups for the benefit
> > of all USENET users. Messages sent via email may or may not
> > be answered depending on time availability....
> >
> > Remote Networking Technology Support Site -
> > http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
> > Windows XP Expert Zone - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
> >
> > On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 14:37:00 -0400, "Bill Sanderson"
> > <Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> wrote:
> >
> >>Interesting. This shouldn't happen for most folks. I've installed SP2 on
> >>number of machines--a dozen or so, via Remote Desktop and haven't seen
> >>this
> >>issue. These machines in the main had the SP1 firewall in place with RD
> >>opened.
> >>
> >>"Steven" <landsteven@gmail.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
September 15, 2004 10:05:05 PM

Jeffrey Randow (MVP) wrote:
> *I'll send this to the TS team at MS to see if they are seeing tech
> support incidents on this, but I haven't been able to reproduce this
> on ten machines I have tried...
>
> Getting this solved will involve someone who has this issue to open
> up
> a support incident with either MS or your OEM. However, this may
> cost
> $$$...
> *

Just for the record, I'm having problems logging into an XP laptop
since installing SP2. When I contacted the company my company buys
computers from, they said they have seen this problem a lot, the only
workaround is uninstalling SP2, and they are recommending that no one
installs SP2. This is very frustrating. Oh well, good-bye SP2!

--
bjudson
September 16, 2004 3:00:28 AM

I think that's a different issue. Here's a better message than the one in
experts-exchange.com about that particular problem:

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=license000+xp+remote+...

"Jerry Mateyka" <Jerry Mateyka@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I had a similar problem and was able to fix it from the Registry: I deleted
> the folder 'License000' under this path:
>
> Hkey_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\MSLicensing\Store\License000.
>
> As usual, export it first, in case you need to restore it. It took me
> days
> to find this easy solution. It was on the experts-exchange.com website.
>
> Jerry
>
> "Bill Sanderson" wrote:
>
>> The port isn't opened automagically, even if you've enabled the feature
>> "by
>> hand."
>>
>> My thinking about the reasoning behind this is that the ICF was designed
>> be used as an Internet facing firewall, originally, and it is very
>> reasonable to think that folks might want RD enabled within a LAN, but
>> not
>> accessable from the Internet--so opening it in the ICF remained a manual
>> step.
>>
>> "Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" <jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com>
>> wrote
>> in message news:6pvcj09rtfftemt9n968kplkb22vgrmmfi@4ax.com...
>> > One thing that I noted - if you enable Remote Desktop via the Group
>> > Policy method, it will not automatically enable the port in the ICF...
>> > Weird bug...
>> >
>> > Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking & Smart Display MVP)
>> > jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com
>> >
>> > Please post all responses to the newsgroups for the benefit
>> > of all USENET users. Messages sent via email may or may not
>> > be answered depending on time availability....
>> >
>> > Remote Networking Technology Support Site -
>> > http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
>> > Windows XP Expert Zone - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone

Anonymous
September 16, 2004 3:03:11 AM

In general, I wouldn't accept such vague statements, if possible. Ask them
whether the problem is reproducable. Ask whether they've opened a support
case with Microsoft.

Microsoft PSS support for SP2 issues is free:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;en-us;Prodoffer80&sd=GN

"bjudson" <bjudson.1cng06@mail.mcse.ms> wrote in message

> Jeffrey Randow (MVP) wrote:
>> *I'll send this to the TS team at MS to see if they are seeing tech
>> support incidents on this, but I haven't been able to reproduce this
>> on ten machines I have tried...
>>
>> Getting this solved will involve someone who has this issue to open
>> up
>> a support incident with either MS or your OEM. However, this may
>> cost
>> $$$...
>> *
>
> Just for the record, I'm having problems logging into an XP laptop
> since installing SP2. When I contacted the company my company buys
> computers from, they said they have seen this problem a lot, the only
> workaround is uninstalling SP2, and they are recommending that no one
> installs SP2. This is very frustrating. Oh well, good-bye SP2!
>

> --
> bjudson

September 16, 2004 3:04:58 AM

Terrific--glad they were able to help, and glad you called.

Now it'd even be nicer to know through triage which service was really
causing the conflict, of course!

> Success. I called MS service yesterday - they had me use the "msconfig"
> application (start menu - run - msconfig) to disable nonessential services
> and tray items, then (reboot and) install SP2. While there are a couple
> of other strange things happening, this advice fixed the problem with the
> remote desktop (server) and I will keep SP2 installed this time.
>
> Good luck all
>
> Bill Sanderson wrote:
>> So--when you called Microsoft PSS, what did they say?
>>
>> "recoiledsnake" <recoiledsnake.1cjqoa@mail.mcse.ms> wrote in message
>>
>>>Same here, works on my AMD/Nvidia laptop but not on my Intel/Nvidia
>>>desktop. Just connects for a split second and disconnects, no error
>>>messages nothing.

>>>--
>>>recoiledsnake

September 16, 2004 11:03:03 AM

Thanks Bill,

The exact problem we were having, was that one of our XP Pro users couldn't
RDP to a particular customer's Windows 2000 SP3 Server running Terminal
Services in 'Application' mode, after installing SP2. Other users (1 with
Windows 2000 Pro SP4 and another with XP Pro SP1 didn't have any problem
connecting.

Jerry

"Bill Sanderson" wrote:

> I think that's a different issue. Here's a better message than the one in
> experts-exchange.com about that particular problem:
>
> http://groups.google.com/groups?q=license000+xp+remote+...
>

> "Jerry Mateyka" <Jerry Mateyka@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I had a similar problem and was able to fix it from the Registry: I deleted
> > the folder 'License000' under this path:
> >
> > Hkey_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\MSLicensing\Store\License000.
> >
> > As usual, export it first, in case you need to restore it. It took me
> > days
> > to find this easy solution. It was on the experts-exchange.com website.
> >
> > Jerry
> >
> > "Bill Sanderson" wrote:
> >
> >> The port isn't opened automagically, even if you've enabled the feature
> >> "by
> >> hand."
> >>
> >> My thinking about the reasoning behind this is that the ICF was designed
> >> be used as an Internet facing firewall, originally, and it is very
> >> reasonable to think that folks might want RD enabled within a LAN, but
> >> not
> >> accessable from the Internet--so opening it in the ICF remained a manual
> >> step.
> >>
> >> "Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" <jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com>
> >> wrote
> >> in message news:6pvcj09rtfftemt9n968kplkb22vgrmmfi@4ax.com...

Anonymous
September 16, 2004 7:38:54 PM

I think that I've seen other messages tying this behavior into the SP2
installation, so you are probably correct in connecting it to SP2.

I need to remember to ask what the host is when these "can't connect after
SP2" messages come up--I tend to forget about TS licensing issues since I
mainly use TS in administrative mode, or work between XP machines.

> Thanks Bill,
>
> The exact problem we were having, was that one of our XP Pro users
> couldn't
> RDP to a particular customer's Windows 2000 SP3 Server running Terminal
> Services in 'Application' mode, after installing SP2. Other users (1 with
> Windows 2000 Pro SP4 and another with XP Pro SP1 didn't have any problem
> connecting.
>
> Jerry
>
> "Bill Sanderson" wrote:
>
>> I think that's a different issue. Here's a better message than the one
>> in
>> experts-exchange.com about that particular problem:
>>
>> http://groups.google.com/groups?q=license000+xp+remote+...
>>

>> "Jerry Mateyka" <Jerry Mateyka@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message
>> >I had a similar problem and was able to fix it from the Registry: I
>> >deleted
>> > the folder 'License000' under this path:
>> >
>> > Hkey_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\MSLicensing\Store\License000.
>> >
>> > As usual, export it first, in case you need to restore it. It took me
>> > days
>> > to find this easy solution. It was on the experts-exchange.com
>> > website.
>> >
>> > Jerry

Anonymous
September 19, 2004 6:59:04 PM

I've been following this thread hoping to find an answer to this
problem.

The host is XP running XP-SP1.
MY home network consists of a Intel P4 1.7 running XP-SP1, which can
connect to the host no problems.
And a brand new Intel P4 3.2 running XP-SP2, which is connecting, then
disconnecting. One thing that I have not seen mentioned, is that I can
connect once (briefly) to a host. After that it never reconnects. The
other point is, that I can access both the host using
'\\ip-add\sharename' syntax with no problems.

I assume that everyone is using someform of VPN, could it be this
which is been affected when it used with remote desktop.

I'm hoping that someonme has the answer....

Regards

Mike

"Bill Sanderson" <Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> wrote in message news:<OTLB0n5mEHA.3480@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>...
> Terrific--glad they were able to help, and glad you called.
>
> Now it'd even be nicer to know through triage which service was really
> causing the conflict, of course!
>
> "edn2" <edn2@someplace.com> wrote in message
> > Success. I called MS service yesterday - they had me use the "msconfig"
> > application (start menu - run - msconfig) to disable nonessential services
> > and tray items, then (reboot and) install SP2. While there are a couple
> > of other strange things happening, this advice fixed the problem with the
> > remote desktop (server) and I will keep SP2 installed this time.
> >
> > Good luck all
> >
> > Bill Sanderson wrote:
> >> So--when you called Microsoft PSS, what did they say?
> >>
> >> "recoiledsnake" <recoiledsnake.1cjqoa@mail.mcse.ms> wrote in message

September 21, 2004 12:16:20 PM

I've spoken to Microsoft support, and they sent me a hotfix to try.
'Q884020 Programs that connect to IP addresses that are in the
loopback address range may not work as you expect in Windows XP
Service Pack 2 '

This made no difference!

They have suggested that I uninstall SP2, until a fix is posted :(

Anyone got any suggestions, PLEASE?

Mike

miketrill@uboot.com (Mike Trill) wrote in message news:<63d557af.0409191359.386c0147@posting.google.com>...
> I've been following this thread hoping to find an answer to this
> problem.
>
> The host is XP running XP-SP1.
> MY home network consists of a Intel P4 1.7 running XP-SP1, which can
> connect to the host no problems.
> And a brand new Intel P4 3.2 running XP-SP2, which is connecting, then
> disconnecting. One thing that I have not seen mentioned, is that I can
> connect once (briefly) to a host. After that it never reconnects. The
> other point is, that I can access both the host using
> '\\ip-add\sharename' syntax with no problems.
>
> I assume that everyone is using someform of VPN, could it be this
> which is been affected when it used with remote desktop.
>
> I'm hoping that someonme has the answer....
>
> Regards
>
> Mike
>
> "Bill Sanderson" <Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> wrote in message news:<OTLB0n5mEHA.3480@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>...
> > Terrific--glad they were able to help, and glad you called.
> >
> > Now it'd even be nicer to know through triage which service was really
> > causing the conflict, of course!
> >
> > "edn2" <edn2@someplace.com> wrote in message
> > > Success. I called MS service yesterday - they had me use the "msconfig"
> > > application (start menu - run - msconfig) to disable nonessential services
> > > and tray items, then (reboot and) install SP2. While there are a couple
> > > of other strange things happening, this advice fixed the problem with the
> > > remote desktop (server) and I will keep SP2 installed this time.
> > >
> > > Good luck all

September 24, 2004 1:06:15 AM

I had the same problem trying to establish a remote desktop connection
using either a Viewsonic Smart Display, a Compaq x1000 laptop, or an
HP iPAQ to my workstation, which recently had SP2 installed.

I contacted MS support, and after a fairly lengthy runaround, the
tech, named Raj, suggested using the workstation's IP address in the
field usually reserved for the computer's name in the Remote Desktop
Connection setup.

Upon hitting the enter key, the laptop connected to the workstation
just like old times.

I tried the same approach with my Smart Display. Replacing the
workstation's name with its IP Addy solved the problem.

Ditto for the Pocket PC.

I have give Raj his props, this was a really simple suggestion, but I
certainly would not have thought of it.

I'm not a Windows expert, but this may indicate that SP2 somehow
impacted the DNS services or some driver it depends on. Raj did some
research regarding this, but turned up nothing. I asked to keep the
case number open, because for those of us using DHCP, this could be an
inconvenient work around.

Anyway, I hope this will help others get up and running.