uptime.exe not working remotely

I have 3 PC's on a home LAN all running XP Pro. I downloaded uptime.exe
from microsofts website. We use this where I work to see when a PC on the
lan was last rebooted (work for a help desk) and it works great. If I try
to run uptime at home, it will successfully report the uptime of the current
machine...but if I pass another PC's machine name or ip address, it
generates a windows popup dialog saying that the program has encountered a
problem and needs to close.

At work we run on a domain...at home, I do not...I just have a workgroup
setup. Can anyone suggest to me any reason why uptime.exe will only work
locally on the individual machines instead of remotely like it can? I have
one PC that has been giving me problems with random reboots...I want to be
able to run this from my room upstairs and see when the last time it was
rebooted...and since it reboots several times a day, if I just walk up to
the machine I can only see if it is logged in or not...and I could logon and
run the utility there...but its a long journey down to where its at and I
just thought it would be nice to see how long since the last reboot...

Thanks!

More about uptime working remotely

    Such utilities need to be run as Administrators on the remote machine.

    Are the credentials you are using (if you aren't using runas, they are
    probably the credentials you logged into your machine with) administrators
    on the remote machine?

    For cross-network work like this you need accounts with passwords--so you
    want an account with a password which matches an account and password on the
    target which is an administrator.

    "Information Scavenger" <likeIwantspam@no-way.com> wrote in message
    >I have 3 PC's on a home LAN all running XP Pro. I downloaded uptime.exe
    > from microsofts website. We use this where I work to see when a PC on the
    > lan was last rebooted (work for a help desk) and it works great. If I try
    > to run uptime at home, it will successfully report the uptime of the
    > current
    > machine...but if I pass another PC's machine name or ip address, it
    > generates a windows popup dialog saying that the program has encountered a
    > problem and needs to close.
    >
    > At work we run on a domain...at home, I do not...I just have a workgroup
    > setup. Can anyone suggest to me any reason why uptime.exe will only work
    > locally on the individual machines instead of remotely like it can? I
    > have
    > one PC that has been giving me problems with random reboots...I want to be
    > able to run this from my room upstairs and see when the last time it was
    > rebooted...and since it reboots several times a day, if I just walk up to
    > the machine I can only see if it is logged in or not...and I could logon
    > and
    > run the utility there...but its a long journey down to where its at and I
    > just thought it would be nice to see how long since the last reboot...
    >
    > Thanks!

    I had similar problems with deploying the "shutdown"
    command remotely!

    It may help you to read the thread entitled "Remote
    Reboot on XP" which I started.

    I downloaded the "uptime.exe" util, and can use it just
    fine after making all my changes! - uptime \\IPADDRESS

    News =-----
    Servers! =-----

    >.

    I created identical usernames/passwords on each PC's for myself, all with
    admin priveledges...and I am running without RUNAS but would think it would
    try to run with the same valid admin credentials as I have on my local
    machine.

    "Bill Sanderson" <Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> wrote in message
    > Such utilities need to be run as Administrators on the remote machine.
    >
    > Are the credentials you are using (if you aren't using runas, they are
    > probably the credentials you logged into your machine with) administrators
    > on the remote machine?
    >
    > For cross-network work like this you need accounts with passwords--so you
    > want an account with a password which matches an account and password on
    > the target which is an administrator.
    >
    > "Information Scavenger" <likeIwantspam@no-way.com> wrote in message
    >>I have 3 PC's on a home LAN all running XP Pro. I downloaded uptime.exe
    >> from microsofts website. We use this where I work to see when a PC on
    >> the
    >> lan was last rebooted (work for a help desk) and it works great. If I
    >> try
    >> to run uptime at home, it will successfully report the uptime of the
    >> current
    >> machine...but if I pass another PC's machine name or ip address, it
    >> generates a windows popup dialog saying that the program has encountered
    >> problem and needs to close.
    >>
    >> At work we run on a domain...at home, I do not...I just have a workgroup
    >> setup. Can anyone suggest to me any reason why uptime.exe will only work
    >> locally on the individual machines instead of remotely like it can? I
    >> have
    >> one PC that has been giving me problems with random reboots...I want to
    >> be
    >> able to run this from my room upstairs and see when the last time it was
    >> rebooted...and since it reboots several times a day, if I just walk up to
    >> the machine I can only see if it is logged in or not...and I could logon
    >> and
    >> run the utility there...but its a long journey down to where its at and I
    >> just thought it would be nice to see how long since the last reboot...
    >>
    >> Thanks!

    >> http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
    >> -----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----

    Thanks a ton Grant! After reviewing your thread and changing the security
    setting to CLASSIC, it works flawlessly for me too :)

    And as an added bonus, I also now know how to reboot machines remotely which
    I previously was unaware was possible with the XP SHUTDOWN utility :)

    "Grant" <geashworth@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I had similar problems with deploying the "shutdown"
    > command remotely!
    >
    > It may help you to read the thread entitled "Remote
    > Reboot on XP" which I started.
    >
    > I downloaded the "uptime.exe" util, and can use it just
    > fine after making all my changes! - uptime \\IPADDRESS

    Would only use the same admin credentials if Admin
    Profile was a Roaming User profile or, in the presence of
    Active Directory!

    wrote in message
    >>>I have 3 PC's on a home LAN all running XP Pro. I
    downloaded uptime.exe
    >>> from microsofts website. We use this where I work to
    see when a PC on
    >>> the
    >>> lan was last rebooted (work for a help desk) and it
    works great. If I
    >>> try
    >>> to run uptime at home, it will successfully report
    the uptime of the
    >>> current
    >>> machine...but if I pass another PC's machine name or
    ip address, it
    >>> generates a windows popup dialog saying that the
    program has encountered
    >>> problem and needs to close.
    >>>
    >>> At work we run on a domain...at home, I do not...I
    just have a workgroup
    >>> setup. Can anyone suggest to me any reason why
    uptime.exe will only work
    >>> locally on the individual machines instead of
    remotely like it can? I
    >>> have
    >>> one PC that has been giving me problems with random
    reboots...I want to
    >>> be
    >>> able to run this from my room upstairs and see when
    the last time it was
    >>> rebooted...and since it reboots several times a day,
    if I just walk up to
    >>> the machine I can only see if it is logged in or
    not...and I could logon
    >>> and
    >>> run the utility there...but its a long journey down
    to where its at and I
    >>> just thought it would be nice to see how long since
    the last reboot...

    >>> Thanks!

    News =-----
    >>> http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service
    in the World!
    >>> -----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different
    Servers! =-----

    =-----
    >http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in
    the World!
    >-----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers!
    =-----
    >.

    That works, but we all need to get away from that insecure model. We should
    be encouraging all users to run as limited users most of the time, and use
    administrative level accounts only when required. That's where Runas comes
    in.

    I'm not complaining about how you do it--just explaining why I try to post
    in relation to the more secure way of doing things.

    >I created identical usernames/passwords on each PC's for myself, all with
    >admin priveledges...and I am running without RUNAS but would think it would
    >try to run with the same valid admin credentials as I have on my local
    >machine.
    >

    > "Bill Sanderson" <Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> wrote in message
    >> Such utilities need to be run as Administrators on the remote machine.
    >>
    >> Are the credentials you are using (if you aren't using runas, they are
    >> probably the credentials you logged into your machine with)
    >> administrators on the remote machine?
    >>
    >> For cross-network work like this you need accounts with passwords--so you
    >> want an account with a password which matches an account and password on
    >> the target which is an administrator.
    >>
    >> "Information Scavenger" <likeIwantspam@no-way.com> wrote in message
    >>>I have 3 PC's on a home LAN all running XP Pro. I downloaded uptime.exe
    >>> from microsofts website. We use this where I work to see when a PC on
    >>> the
    >>> lan was last rebooted (work for a help desk) and it works great. If I
    >>> try
    >>> to run uptime at home, it will successfully report the uptime of the
    >>> current
    >>> machine...but if I pass another PC's machine name or ip address, it
    >>> generates a windows popup dialog saying that the program has encountered
    >>> problem and needs to close.
    >>>
    >>> At work we run on a domain...at home, I do not...I just have a workgroup
    >>> setup. Can anyone suggest to me any reason why uptime.exe will only
    >>> work
    >>> locally on the individual machines instead of remotely like it can? I
    >>> have
    >>> one PC that has been giving me problems with random reboots...I want to
    >>> be
    >>> able to run this from my room upstairs and see when the last time it was
    >>> rebooted...and since it reboots several times a day, if I just walk up
    >>> the machine I can only see if it is logged in or not...and I could logon
    >>> and
    >>> run the utility there...but its a long journey down to where its at and
    >>> just thought it would be nice to see how long since the last reboot...
    >>>
    >>> Thanks!

    >>> http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
    >>> -----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----

Windows XP