MV500i Analogue Capture Problem

I posted a few days ago asking for help with my new pinnacle DV500 DVD capture
card. Since the majority said that it wasn't very good, I decided to return it.
I also discovered that I could use my camcorder as a analogue to digital
capture device.

However, despite buying new cables from Maplin, the signal is only in B/W. I
had it in colour with the Pinnacle device so I don't think that the VCR is the
problem. I've been reading about s-video and note that the luminance is
separate from the chrominance. What could be wrong??

I suspect that it's the cables because every posting on the MV500i is
favourable. They're brand new though. However, I could just be missing the
obvious. Copying my old VCRs to DVD has been one of my aims for several years
now and despite lots of hard-work (and money), I'm still struggling.

Thanks for any help!! I've just bought a whole new system for video-editing so
can replace any hardware if necessary. Should I get the canopus?? The camcorder
has hardly been used so it should be working perfectly. I just don't know!!!

Niall

I forgot to say that i received the image with the Pinnacle device using a
scart-composite connector.

I assumed that the VCR would be able to output s-video using the scart
connector but am beginning to doubt whether this is the case. It's an old VCR -
Goodmans VN9000.

Is the new scart to s-video lead sufficient or do I need an output signal
specifically for s-video? I can borrow a friends modern VCR if this is the
problem!!

I hope my post makes sense. I feel so close to being able to get everything
working - just need colour - so it's very frustrating.

Thanks in advance for any help!!
Niall Bruce

I think I'd try a modern VCR with a S-video input. Does the MV500 come with
a breakout box like the DV500 does?

rqo

"NIALLBRUCE" <niallbruce@aol.com> wrote in message
>I forgot to say that i received the image with the Pinnacle device using a
> scart-composite connector.
>
> I assumed that the VCR would be able to output s-video using the scart
> connector but am beginning to doubt whether this is the case. It's an old
> VCR -
> Goodmans VN9000.
>
> Is the new scart to s-video lead sufficient or do I need an output signal
> specifically for s-video? I can borrow a friends modern VCR if this is the
> problem!!
>
> I hope my post makes sense. I feel so close to being able to get
> everything
> working - just need colour - so it's very frustrating.
>
> Thanks in advance for any help!!
> Niall Bruce

>I think I'd try a modern VCR with a S-video input. Does the MV500 come with
>a breakout box like the DV500 does?
>
>rqo

Ok, I'll try another VCR. It would seem that if there is something that can go
wrong with video-editing, it will go wrong!! Hopefully it will all be worth it!

The MV500i is just a plain camcorder but I noticed a cover at the front which
shields an S-Video input. I bought a scart to s-video cable at lunchtime today
but the gremlins are still there.

If the problem isn't the VCR (ie, if there shouldn't be a problem going from
scart to s-video), please let me know!! The VCR is about 10 years old and I
don't think it was a high-end model then so I wouldn't be surprised if it's
limited.

Niall

TRENDING THREADS