"Local user database handle is corrupt"-Can't set VPN user..

I have a serious issue when creating a new incoming connection with the New
Connection Wizard in XP. At the User permissions box, there are no users on
the list and as soon as the box opens, I get the following error box with no
error code, "Local user database handle is corrupt." Because I can't set up
user permissions here, I am unable to VPN in to this computer which is why I
am trying to get this to work. If I try to add a user that already has an
account at this box, I get the error message that the user account already
exists. Just to clarify, there are no users in the list in step 11 on this
web page: http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_vpn_server.htm

Any help is welcome.

This is a rare known issue. As far as I am aware, there is no
solution to this issue available (i.e., no one has ever posted a
resolution to this issue).

The workaround - reinstall... Not a good option. The only other
suggestion I can recommend is opening up a support incident with
either MS or your OEM (may cost $$$ depending on your situation).

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 06:29:02 -0700, Geodog
<Geodog@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have a serious issue when creating a new incoming connection with the New
>Connection Wizard in XP. At the User permissions box, there are no users on
>the list and as soon as the box opens, I get the following error box with no
>error code, "Local user database handle is corrupt." Because I can't set up
>user permissions here, I am unable to VPN in to this computer which is why I
>am trying to get this to work. If I try to add a user that already has an
>account at this box, I get the error message that the user account already
>exists. Just to clarify, there are no users in the list in step 11 on this
>web page: http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_vpn_server.htm
>
>Any help is welcome.

Thanks for the response.

"Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" wrote:

> This is a rare known issue. As far as I am aware, there is no
> solution to this issue available (i.e., no one has ever posted a
> resolution to this issue).
>
> The workaround - reinstall... Not a good option. The only other
> suggestion I can recommend is opening up a support incident with
> either MS or your OEM (may cost $$$ depending on your situation).
>
> Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking & Smart Display MVP)

> On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 06:29:02 -0700, Geodog
> <Geodog@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I have a serious issue when creating a new incoming connection with the New
> >Connection Wizard in XP. At the User permissions box, there are no users on
> >the list and as soon as the box opens, I get the following error box with no
> >error code, "Local user database handle is corrupt." Because I can't set up
> >user permissions here, I am unable to VPN in to this computer which is why I
> >am trying to get this to work. If I try to add a user that already has an
> >account at this box, I get the error message that the user account already
> >exists. Just to clarify, there are no users in the list in step 11 on this
> >web page: http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_vpn_server.htm
> >
> >Any help is welcome.

This has now been a long standing issue with M$ and I was told by Jeffrey
Randow (just look at the archives) to reinstall or wait for XP2 a long time
ago. Note that there are MANY queries over MANY sites, NG, Forums, etc
asking about this - this is not a single or remote request.

As reinstalling is not really a practical option (and only Microsoft would
be daft enough to even suggest this) I waited for SP2. As SP2 is now out
(and I have downloaded it, backed my system up, installed the SP, jumped
thro' hoops, etc) it STILL doesn't fix the problem!

OK M$, you have now made us wait and have no doubt had a good laugh at the
end users expense - how about pulling your thumb out and getting this
problem fixed?

If you have 'fixed' it with a patch etc and I haven't seen it (and trust me,
I have searched!) I apologise but otherwise, my opinion of M$ hasn't changed
;-(

Regards (and let down)
Starb

"Geodog" <Geodog@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thanks for the response.
>
> "Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" wrote:
>
>> This is a rare known issue. As far as I am aware, there is no
>> solution to this issue available (i.e., no one has ever posted a
>> resolution to this issue).
>>
>> The workaround - reinstall... Not a good option. The only other
>> suggestion I can recommend is opening up a support incident with
>> either MS or your OEM (may cost $$$ depending on your situation).
>>
>> Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking & Smart Display MVP)
>> jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com
>>
>> Please post all responses to the newsgroups for the benefit
>> of all USENET users. Messages sent via email may or may not
>> be answered depending on time availability....
>>
>> Remote Networking Technology Support Site -
>> http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
>> Windows XP Expert Zone - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
>>
>> On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 06:29:02 -0700, Geodog
>> <Geodog@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >I have a serious issue when creating a new incoming connection with the
>> >New
>> >Connection Wizard in XP. At the User permissions box, there are no
>> >users on
>> >the list and as soon as the box opens, I get the following error box
>> >with no
>> >error code, "Local user database handle is corrupt." Because I can't
>> >set up
>> >user permissions here, I am unable to VPN in to this computer which is
>> >why I
>> >am trying to get this to work. If I try to add a user that already has
>> >an
>> >account at this box, I get the error message that the user account
>> >already
>> >exists. Just to clarify, there are no users in the list in step 11 on
>> >this
>> >web page: http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_vpn_server.htm
>> >
>> >Any help is welcome.

The only other option is to open a support incident... You can try at
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;en-us;Prodoffer80 to
see if you can get help here...

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com