Which Firewire port to connect Camcorder to

jeff

If One has a high quality capture card which has firwire inputs on it, would
it matter if one connects their camcorder to the firewire port which is on
the front of the computer case or to a firewire hub?

Does it matter or can the camcorder firewire connector be connected to any
firewire port on the computer with the same result?

TIA,

Jeff

I can use either the firewire port in my DvStorm or just plug into the
firewire port on the front of my PC and go direct into Vegas. Either one
works in my case. It just depends on which capture program I want to use.
Recognition under WinXP is the key. Each port works fine and I capture
using 3 different cameras and 1 stand alone miniDV player. (not at the same
time)

rqo

"Jeff" <jeff@aol.com> wrote in message
> If One has a high quality capture card which has firwire inputs on it,
> would
> it matter if one connects their camcorder to the firewire port which is on
> the front of the computer case or to a firewire hub?
>
> Does it matter or can the camcorder firewire connector be connected to any
> firewire port on the computer with the same result?
>
> TIA,
>
> Jeff

To clarify, if I use the Storm, I capture into Edius or Premiere. If I use
the PC front firewire port, I normally go into Vegas.

rqo

"rqo" <safetyo@nospambellsouth.net> wrote in message
>I can use either the firewire port in my DvStorm or just plug into the
>firewire port on the front of my PC and go direct into Vegas. Either one
>works in my case. It just depends on which capture program I want to use.
>Recognition under WinXP is the key. Each port works fine and I capture
>using 3 different cameras and 1 stand alone miniDV player. (not at the same
>time)
>
> rqo
>
> "Jeff" <jeff@aol.com> wrote in message
>> If One has a high quality capture card which has firwire inputs on it,
>> would
>> it matter if one connects their camcorder to the firewire port which is
>> on
>> the front of the computer case or to a firewire hub?
>>
>> Does it matter or can the camcorder firewire connector be connected to
>> any
>> firewire port on the computer with the same result?
>>
>> TIA,
>>
>> Jeff

Actually RQO you could capture from the front port into Premiere or Vegas
without any problems. It's just a matter of making that choice in either
program. You could also use that same port to capture into Edius if you have
the 2.5 version. The only reason you are limited to using Premiere or Edius
with the Storm is the plug-in written for those programs.
--
Larry Johnson
Digital Video Solutions

> To clarify, if I use the Storm, I capture into Edius or Premiere. If I
use
> the PC front firewire port, I normally go into Vegas.
>
> rqo
>
> "rqo" <safetyo@nospambellsouth.net> wrote in message
> >I can use either the firewire port in my DvStorm or just plug into the
> >firewire port on the front of my PC and go direct into Vegas. Either one
> >works in my case. It just depends on which capture program I want to
use.
> >Recognition under WinXP is the key. Each port works fine and I capture
> >using 3 different cameras and 1 stand alone miniDV player. (not at the
same
> >time)
> >
> > rqo
> >
> > "Jeff" <jeff@aol.com> wrote in message
> >> If One has a high quality capture card which has firwire inputs on it,
> >> would
> >> it matter if one connects their camcorder to the firewire port which is
> >> on
> >> the front of the computer case or to a firewire hub?
> >>
> >> Does it matter or can the camcorder firewire connector be connected to
> >> any
> >> firewire port on the computer with the same result?
> >>
> >> TIA,
> >>
> >> Jeff

Thanks Larry,
I do capture into Vegas from the front port and on occasion into Premiere,
Any captures with Vegas is by the built in IE1394 port. I don't even think
I've checked to see it the Storm card supports Vegas or vice/versa. I also
use Edius 2.5 and have used the front port to capture. I guess I just got
used to using the Storm port for the original version of Edius. Most of my
captures have been flawless, with no drop outs of any kind, so I've stopped
tweaking and stick to the same routine. I know...boring....but it helps if
I'm on a deadline.

rqo

"Digital Video Solutions" <video@digitalvideosolutions.com> wrote in message
> Actually RQO you could capture from the front port into Premiere or Vegas
> without any problems. It's just a matter of making that choice in either
> program. You could also use that same port to capture into Edius if you
> have
> the 2.5 version. The only reason you are limited to using Premiere or
> Edius
> with the Storm is the plug-in written for those programs.
> --
> Larry Johnson
> Digital Video Solutions
> webmaster@digitalvideosolutions.com
> http://www.digitalvideosolutions.com
> 877-227-6281 Toll Free Sales Assistance
> 386-672-1941 customer Service
> 386-672-1907 Technical Support
> 386-676-1515 Fax
>
> "rqo" <safetyo@nospambellsouth.net> wrote in message
>> To clarify, if I use the Storm, I capture into Edius or Premiere. If I
> use
>> the PC front firewire port, I normally go into Vegas.
>>
>> rqo
>>
>> "rqo" <safetyo@nospambellsouth.net> wrote in message
>> >I can use either the firewire port in my DvStorm or just plug into the
>> >firewire port on the front of my PC and go direct into Vegas. Either
>> >one
>> >works in my case. It just depends on which capture program I want to
> use.
>> >Recognition under WinXP is the key. Each port works fine and I capture
>> >using 3 different cameras and 1 stand alone miniDV player. (not at the
> same
>> >time)
>> >
>> > rqo
>> >
>> > "Jeff" <jeff@aol.com> wrote in message

Personally I would stick to using the Storm for all editing/captures. The
Canopus codec is far better than the Microsoft DV codec. If you need to do
some editing in Vegas I would suggest using the Canopus File Converter which
converts Canopus files to Microsoft files and vice versa without any loss
during the conversions. I have the RexRT and am currently running Premiere
6.5, Pro, RexEdit, Edius 2.5 and find there are things I like each for over
the other. Luckily I don't have to do any conversions.

As yet I don't think Vegas can be used with the Storm, but I may be wrong.
Geez, I should know this stuff. After all, I'm a Canopus reseller. <grin>
--

> Thanks Larry,
> I do capture into Vegas from the front port and on occasion into Premiere,
> Any captures with Vegas is by the built in IE1394 port. I don't even
think
> I've checked to see it the Storm card supports Vegas or vice/versa. I
also
> use Edius 2.5 and have used the front port to capture. I guess I just got
> used to using the Storm port for the original version of Edius. Most of
my
> captures have been flawless, with no drop outs of any kind, so I've
stopped
> tweaking and stick to the same routine. I know...boring....but it helps
if
> I'm on a deadline.
>
> rqo
>
> "Digital Video Solutions" <video@digitalvideosolutions.com> wrote in
message
> > Actually RQO you could capture from the front port into Premiere or
Vegas
> > without any problems. It's just a matter of making that choice in either
> > program. You could also use that same port to capture into Edius if you
> > have
> > the 2.5 version. The only reason you are limited to using Premiere or
> > Edius
> > with the Storm is the plug-in written for those programs.
> > --
> > Larry Johnson
> > Digital Video Solutions
> > webmaster@digitalvideosolutions.com
> > http://www.digitalvideosolutions.com
> > 877-227-6281 Toll Free Sales Assistance
> > 386-672-1941 customer Service
> > 386-672-1907 Technical Support
> > 386-676-1515 Fax
> >
> > "rqo" <safetyo@nospambellsouth.net> wrote in message
> >> To clarify, if I use the Storm, I capture into Edius or Premiere. If I
> > use
> >> the PC front firewire port, I normally go into Vegas.
> >>
> >> rqo
> >>
> >> "rqo" <safetyo@nospambellsouth.net> wrote in message
> > use.
> > same

lol....

> [...]
>> captures have been flawless, with no drop outs of any kind, so I've
> stopped
>> tweaking and stick to the same routine. I know...boring....but it helps
> if
>> I'm on a deadline.
>>
>> rqo
>>
>> "Digital Video Solutions" <video@digitalvideosolutions.com> wrote in
> message
>> > Actually RQO you could capture from the front port into Premiere or
> Vegas
>> > without any problems. It's just a matter of making that choice in
>> > either
>> > program. You could also use that same port to capture into Edius if you
>> > have
>> > the 2.5 version. The only reason you are limited to using Premiere or
>> > Edius
>> > with the Storm is the plug-in written for those programs.

NO, Vegas apparently will not capture direct from the Storm using the DV
input. I just tried it. :(

> [...]

>> captures have been flawless, with no drop outs of any kind, so I've
> stopped
>> tweaking and stick to the same routine. I know...boring....but it helps
> if
>> I'm on a deadline.
>>
>> rqo
>>
>> "Digital Video Solutions" <video@digitalvideosolutions.com> wrote in
> message
>> > Actually RQO you could capture from the front port into Premiere or
> Vegas
>> > without any problems. It's just a matter of making that choice in
>> > either
>> > program. You could also use that same port to capture into Edius if you
>> > have
>> > the 2.5 version. The only reason you are limited to using Premiere or
>> > Edius
>> > with the Storm is the plug-in written for those programs.

jeff

Back to my original question. Does it matter which firewire port is used;
the capture cards or a front panel firewire port, will it have the same
result in capturing?

jeff

What is a "high quality" capture card? Is it just a firewire card or is in
like a Pinnacle Studio card? If it's just an added firewire card, then I'd
say no. If it is a card that uses its own codec, then maybe. What brand of
card is it?

> Back to my original question. Does it matter which firewire port is used;
> the capture cards or a front panel firewire port, will it have the same
> result in capturing?
>
> jeff

jeff

I have a Pinnacle DV500 capture card which on the rear port has ieee1394
ports.

On the other hand, my Tower has pinouts from the motherboard that goes to
the Front panel which makes access to pluging in a Firewire cable easier.

Since tha pplication with the pinnacle card is premiere 6.5 I'm simply
asking does it matter whether I use the pinnacle card's firewire port or the
tower's which connects to the Motherboards pinouts (Motherboard has it's own
fiorewire controller chip)

Jeff

You won't get any capture difference using the plug in on the front of your
computer than if you used the DV500. (I know, because I have one of my
systems with that card too, although I use the breakout box for convience.)

>I have a Pinnacle DV500 capture card which on the rear port has ieee1394
> ports.
>
> On the other hand, my Tower has pinouts from the motherboard that goes to
> the Front panel which makes access to pluging in a Firewire cable easier.
>
> Since tha pplication with the pinnacle card is premiere 6.5 I'm simply
> asking does it matter whether I use the pinnacle card's firewire port or
> the
> tower's which connects to the Motherboards pinouts (Motherboard has it's
> own
> fiorewire controller chip)
>
> Jeff

Jeff, if you indeed have a capture card, i.e. one that has onboard chips for
editing purposes - Pinnacle, Canopus, Matrox, or whatever, the answer is
both yes, and no. If you choose to use the front 1394 input it has no way of
connecting with the codec which resides on the hardware capture card. In the
event you use the front input then you must change your settings to
accomodate the change, and subsequently change the video format to the
Microsoft DV codec, or whatever one you have loaded and wish to use.

You will not get the features provided by the hardware card, but you WILL
capture video. The 1394 input on your hardware card is specific to that card
and not interchangable with any other 1394 input on your computer. If you
have a card like the ADS Pyro then you have the same inputs on the back of
the card as are present on the front of your computer - generic OHCI type
and this type can be used by any software editing package - Premiere, Vegas,
MediaStudio, Edius 2.5.

Microsoft DV encoded video will playback on most Pinnacle DV hardware
editing cards, Canopus hardware editing cards, and Matrox hardware editing
cards. The reverse is not true and the video captured through these hardware
cards will not playback on your computer unless you have a software version
of the hardware codec. Having the software version of a hardware codec
allows for playback in many cases but does not allow encoding from the
Microsoft or other DV codecs to a file which will playback through the
hardware codec card.

Why would you want to by-pass a "high quality capture card" in the first
place?

--
Larry Johnson
Digital Video Solutions
webmaster@digitalvideosolutions.com
http://www.digitalvideosolutions.com
877-227-6281 Toll Free Sales Assistance
386-672-1941 customer Service
386-672-1907 Technical Support
386-676-1515 Fax

"Jeff" <jeff@aol.com> wrote in message
> If One has a high quality capture card which has firwire inputs on it,
would
> it matter if one connects their camcorder to the firewire port which is on
> the front of the computer case or to a firewire hub?
>
> Does it matter or can the camcorder firewire connector be connected to any
> firewire port on the computer with the same result?
>
> TIA,
>
> Jeff

jeff

So If I were to plug in the camcorder into a front panel Firewire port,
there would be no way to direct the capture to be done my the DV500's codec.

I must use the port on the DV500 to utilize the magic of that borad, right?

TIA,

Jeff

Maybe I went too fast for you back there. You can capture video using the
front port, but not Pinnacle DV files. You will have to change settings in
Premiere to the other port, then change the Capture settings to General/DV
Playback - Video/Microsoft DV (NTSC). Then when you go back to edit change
the settings back to Pinnacle DV. The Microsoft captured files will playback
on the DV500 but you have to keep changing settings back and forth making
sure your playback and output settings are Pinnacle each time you use the
card and vice versa when you use the front port.

Advice, find a longer 1394 cable if that's what is bothering you about it. I
keep one laying around on the desktop hooked into the back of my DV500 and
my old Matrox RT2000. I took a cable staple gun and put a staple just toward
the back of the desktop where it wouldn't be so noticable to hold it from
falling behind the desk. I'm sure you could find some form of cable-holder
with an adhesive back to hold yours in place, or just go to Radio Shack and
buy a longer one. At one time I used to raise up the monitor platform and
slide the cable just underneath the edge so it would fall back behind the
desk. Surely you can figure out some other way besides constantly having to
change settings in Premiere all the time. It's a pain and can give you some
trouble if you aren't diligent about it and forget from time to time.