Does "DVD to PocketPC" really work?

May 25, 2004 4:30:56 AM

My wife is having an extended stay in the hospital. Her birthday is coming
up and I'm thinking of getting her a Pocket PC. She loves computer games,
and I see these are available for the PocketPC. But it would really be great
if I could bring her movies to watch. Is the PocketPC practical for watching
movies? If so is "DVD to PocketPC" the program to get? If I go this route,
would it be possible to load a spare SD card with a new movie and swap it
when I go visit?

If all this is possible, what would be a good hardware\software combination
to do the job? How big should the SD cards be?

--
Bob D.

More about : dvd pocketpc work

Anonymous
May 25, 2004 4:30:57 AM

Yea, it works, but unless you have some inkling that she really wants a PPC,
I'd say get a small portable DVD player for the video part. They can be had
for under $150, and a 7" screen is much nicer to watch than a 2.5 or 3".
The reason folks do it on a PPC, I think, is the mobility aspect. You got a
long train or plane ride, break between meetings, and you can whip out the
PPC and watch a movie, or part of it. You'd probably wind up spending
$300-$400 on a PPC, a couple of 256M SD cards are going to run you around
$120 (so you can swap), and you'll be spending tons of time ripping movies.
Some of them won't work. With the DVD player, you just go to Blockbuster and
get 5 or 6 of the seven day rentals once a week

For the games, I'd look at a regular handheld game machine. PPC games are
pretty good these days, and if you have a PPC, they are one more thing you
can do with them. I don't think you would find too many hardcore gamers who
would say that a PPC is the definitive game platform.

..

--
Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
"Bob D." <bobmgtd@insightbb.com> wrote in message
> My wife is having an extended stay in the hospital. Her birthday is coming
> up and I'm thinking of getting her a Pocket PC. She loves computer games,
> and I see these are available for the PocketPC. But it would really be
great
> if I could bring her movies to watch. Is the PocketPC practical for
watching
> movies? If so is "DVD to PocketPC" the program to get? If I go this route,
> would it be possible to load a spare SD card with a new movie and swap it
> when I go visit?
>
> If all this is possible, what would be a good hardware\software
combination
> to do the job? How big should the SD cards be?
>
> --
> Bob D.

Anonymous
May 26, 2004 2:13:56 AM

Would not necessarily disagree with the comments made re: portable dvd
players in response, but if you are going down the PPC road I find Pocket
DVD studio to be much the better program.

never found a dvd yet it didn't like (unlike DVD to pocket PC) and very easy
to use.

news:o RDly5gQEHA.2248@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...

!