BIN/CUE problem driving me nuts

I guess I'm fairly new to this but have doen my homework and exhausted
all the self-help steps before posting.
The following is driving me nuts though so I'd be grateful if any of
you experts out there can offer any advice please?

1. I downloaded a couple of .BIN files purporting to be disks 1 & 2 of
a movie in SVCD format.
2. Since I had no .CUE files I made my own as described here
http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/7976
3. I then burned to disk using Toast6 on a Mac OS X and CDRWin AND
Burnatonce on a PC WinXP. All three methods give the same results -
i.e. disks that load in my DVD player (which CAN play SVCDs) but the
counter sits at 00:00:00 and the player says "PRESS PLAY TO CONTINUE"
4. I've checked the .BIN files using CDmage and all seems to be ok
(folder structure seems intact, SVCD\AVSEQ01.MPG is present etc)
5. Using VLAN or Quicktime on Mac or WMP on WinXP to atempt to play
the AVSEQ01.MPG file (either by extracting it from the .BIN using
CDmage or accessing it straight off the resultant CD) fails with "file
is unknown format" type errors.
6. Suspecting my handmade .CUEs were wrong I also used CDmage to scan
the .BIN file in raw format and identify it (which causes it to
produce a CUE of what it finds) - that CUE was the same as the one I'd
handwritten.

Any ideas?

On 25 Nov 2004 23:59:09 -0800, monkeytrousers@bigfoot.com
(monkeytrousers) wrote:

>I guess I'm fairly new to this but have doen my homework and exhausted
>all the self-help steps before posting.
>The following is driving me nuts though so I'd be grateful if any of
>you experts out there can offer any advice please?
>
>1. I downloaded a couple of .BIN files purporting to be disks 1 & 2 of
>a movie in SVCD format.
>2. Since I had no .CUE files I made my own as described here
>http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/7976
>3. I then burned to disk using Toast6 on a Mac OS X and CDRWin AND
>Burnatonce on a PC WinXP. All three methods give the same results -
>i.e. disks that load in my DVD player (which CAN play SVCDs) but the
>counter sits at 00:00:00 and the player says "PRESS PLAY TO CONTINUE"
>4. I've checked the .BIN files using CDmage and all seems to be ok
>(folder structure seems intact, SVCD\AVSEQ01.MPG is present etc)
>5. Using VLAN or Quicktime on Mac or WMP on WinXP to atempt to play
>the AVSEQ01.MPG file (either by extracting it from the .BIN using
>CDmage or accessing it straight off the resultant CD) fails with "file
>is unknown format" type errors.
>6. Suspecting my handmade .CUEs were wrong I also used CDmage to scan
>the .BIN file in raw format and identify it (which causes it to
>produce a CUE of what it finds) - that CUE was the same as the one I'd
>handwritten.
>
>Any ideas?

I seems the problem lies in the AVSEQ01.MPG file, maybe this is true;
try playing it with a software dvd player like WinDVD or PowerDVD:
they are best for playing mpeg-2 and will give result if the file is
valid.

I think you have done all that's necessary to make a good cd, however
try making an .iso from the .bin and burn that, just for fun.

monkeytrousers <monkeytrousers@bigfoot.com> wrote:

: 1. I downloaded a couple of .BIN files purporting to be disks 1 & 2 of
: a movie in SVCD format.
: 2. Since I had no .CUE files I made my own as described here
: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/7976
: 3. I then burned to disk using Toast6 on a Mac OS X and CDRWin AND
: Burnatonce on a PC WinXP. All three methods give the same results -
: i.e. disks that load in my DVD player (which CAN play SVCDs) but the
: counter sits at 00:00:00 and the player says "PRESS PLAY TO CONTINUE"

No idea on the solution but a comment/question...

Have to tried running VLC on the original .bin file? Or even using the cue
you generated?

If it doesn't play you can safely assume the original files were bad. I
dunno what it is with SVCD but there are more things broken with it than
anything else I've run across. Also keep in mind a lot of stuff marked SVCD
is really KVCD or one of the other variations.

One thing to try, at least on the Mac, there is a program out there called
VCDGear, its OSX command-line only but is able to directly read in a .bin
and pull out the .mpg in there very fast, maybe 3-4 minutes for a 700mb
file. If it works, you can just take the .mpg and feed it into toast or
whatever and generate a vcd, svcd or dvd (in theory). Personally I think
toast has it's own problems with generating svcd and dvd disks so you might
want to transfer it to the XP machine for burning.

My money is on the original bin files, probably encoded with some mutation
of the SVCD format and you are going to be limited with working on them.

-bruce
bje@ripco.com

In article <coa6bk$ff1$1@e250.ripco.com>, Bruce Esquibel wrote:

> One thing to try, at least on the Mac, there is a program out there called
> VCDGear, its OSX command-line only but is able to directly read in a .bin
> and pull out the .mpg in there very fast, maybe 3-4 minutes for a 700mb
> file. If it works, you can just take the .mpg and feed it into toast or
> whatever and generate a vcd, svcd or dvd (in theory). Personally I think
> toast has it's own problems with generating svcd and dvd disks so you might
> want to transfer it to the XP machine for burning.

Pull out the MPEG with VCDGear, then re-image it to Bin/Cue with FFMpegX
and use Toast's copy mode to burn the bin/cue images. Toast has a problem
with trying to re-encode perfectly good SVCD MPEGs and telling you that they
won't fit on a CDR. You bypass this by letting FFMpegX make the images.

....Sean.

Guys.
Thanks for all this excellent advice - especially the stuff about
VCDGear.
I can now at least play the mpegs I've extracted using VLAN on the Mac
but they are a bit hit & miss (sometimes freeze etc.).
VCDGear's "fix" mode helps but doesn't seem to cure all problems.
I'm well on the way though and will keep at it so thanks once again for
all the help.
Cheers,
Jim