VPN Question

HI,
I am new to VPN (haven't set one up yet) and have read a number of posts
here. The scenario I have is I want to set up my Receptionist with a new
computer that will have Win XP and Quickbooks (Multi-user) installed on it.
I have two remote offices.

My question is, if I set her computer up as a VPN server and share her
Quickbooks database can the remote sites access her computer whilst she is
still working?

--
Harry
10 answers Last reply

    In WinXP you would need to use incoming connections to configure the remote
    access. However it is design to provide only one type of connection
    simultaneously i.e. you can have one VPN / Dialup / DCC connection. If you
    donot have a requirement of multiple users access the server simultaneously
    they this should work.

    --
    Thanks,
    Sharoon

    John Harris wrote:

    > HI,
    > I am new to VPN (haven't set one up yet) and have read a number of posts
    > here. The scenario I have is I want to set up my Receptionist with a new
    > computer that will have Win XP and Quickbooks (Multi-user) installed on it.
    > I have two remote offices.
    >
    > My question is, if I set her computer up as a VPN server and share her
    > Quickbooks database can the remote sites access her computer whilst she is
    > still working?

    I think you would be A LOT better off with a simple VPN appliance.
    Netgear makes some, (along with linksys, dlink, <your favorite company
    here>). They're relatively cheap, and can handle multiple VPN
    connections. ~$100 - $200 probably for the class device that would suit
    your needs. Securing a small firewall appliance is A LOT easier than a
    machine someone sits at, plus, administration of it should be easier,
    and when the power goes out, it pops right back up, all by itself -- no
    hard drive to worry about etc.

    good luck
    chris

    In addition to the other answers:

    1. You'd need Quickbooks in multi-user mode if multiple users were to access
    the same file at the same time - requires additional licenses.

    2. Accessing database files of any sort, including Quickbooks, across a
    VPN/WAN connection of any sort can be an unpleasant experience. Depending on
    the speed and quality of the connection, you may end up with a mess. I'd
    look into Remote Desktop for this sort of access - or if simultaneous access
    is required, Terminal Services on a Windows server (as RD supports only one
    login at a time).

    Chris Inacio wrote:
    > I think you would be A LOT better off with a simple VPN appliance.
    > Netgear makes some, (along with linksys, dlink, <your favorite company
    > here>). They're relatively cheap, and can handle multiple VPN
    > connections. ~$100 - $200 probably for the class device that would suit
    > your needs. Securing a small firewall appliance is A LOT easier than a
    > machine someone sits at, plus, administration of it should be easier,
    > and when the power goes out, it pops right back up, all by itself -- no
    > hard drive to worry about etc.
    >
    > good luck
    > chris

    Why would someone be a lot better opff spending $200 for a device when
    they just want to share one file on another PC. That is overkill if I
    have ever heard of it.

    I agree that your scenario will work, and believe it can be done securely,
    without additional hardware. The suggestion of the additional hardware is
    entirely reasonable, though--and you should think carefully about the
    security issues involved.

    However, the question I have is will this really be workable. It will be
    easy to test.

    Remember that the link across which your VPN tunnel is spanning, is
    comparitively very slow. If you are accustomed to the speed and
    responsiveness of Remote Desktop, this masks the slow basic connectivity.

    Create an Incoming Connection, enable VPN, and connect using VPN. Move a
    file of significant size in both directions over the link, and measure how
    long it takes. Test out the actual application involved.

    "John Harris" <johnh@antispam.comptroub.co.nz> wrote in message
    > HI,
    > I am new to VPN (haven't set one up yet) and have read a number of posts
    > here. The scenario I have is I want to set up my Receptionist with a new
    > computer that will have Win XP and Quickbooks (Multi-user) installed on
    > it.
    > I have two remote offices.
    >
    > My question is, if I set her computer up as a VPN server and share her
    > Quickbooks database can the remote sites access her computer whilst she is
    > still working?
    >
    > --
    > Harry

    Thank you for the answers. Although not recommended for security reasons
    (among others) I think I'll probably have to go to SBS2000 and TS until I
    can afford to go to SBS2003 and TS on a separate server.

    --
    Harry

    "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
    > In addition to the other answers:
    >
    > 1. You'd need Quickbooks in multi-user mode if multiple users were to
    access
    > the same file at the same time - requires additional licenses.
    >
    > 2. Accessing database files of any sort, including Quickbooks, across a
    > VPN/WAN connection of any sort can be an unpleasant experience. Depending
    on
    > the speed and quality of the connection, you may end up with a mess. I'd
    > look into Remote Desktop for this sort of access - or if simultaneous
    access
    > is required, Terminal Services on a Windows server (as RD supports only
    one
    > login at a time).
    >
    > John Harris wrote:
    > > HI,
    > > I am new to VPN (haven't set one up yet) and have read a number of
    > > posts here. The scenario I have is I want to set up my Receptionist
    > > with a new computer that will have Win XP and Quickbooks (Multi-user)
    > > installed on it. I have two remote offices.
    > >
    > > My question is, if I set her computer up as a VPN server and share her
    > > Quickbooks database can the remote sites access her computer whilst
    > > she is still working?

    Hi - don't install TS in application mode on your SBS server - it is a huge
    security risk, for one thing (and note that you can't even install TS in app
    mode on SBS2003 because MS finally got the joke). Your server should just be
    a server.

    Don't install any user/desktop software on your server, and don't let users
    log into it. If you can't use TS on a dedicated server, pick up a couple of
    workstations with XP Pro and use them for Remote Desktop.

    John Harris wrote:
    > Thank you for the answers. Although not recommended for security
    > reasons (among others) I think I'll probably have to go to SBS2000
    > and TS until I can afford to go to SBS2003 and TS on a separate
    > server.
    >

    > "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
    > message news:ODcgFzYhEHA.3944@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    >> In addition to the other answers:
    >>
    >> 1. You'd need Quickbooks in multi-user mode if multiple users were
    >> to access the same file at the same time - requires additional
    >> licenses.
    >>
    >> 2. Accessing database files of any sort, including Quickbooks,
    >> across a VPN/WAN connection of any sort can be an unpleasant
    >> experience. Depending on the speed and quality of the connection,
    >> you may end up with a mess. I'd look into Remote Desktop for this
    >> sort of access - or if simultaneous access is required, Terminal
    >> Services on a Windows server (as RD supports only one login at a
    >> time).
    >>
    >> John Harris wrote:
    >>> HI,
    >>> I am new to VPN (haven't set one up yet) and have read a number of
    >>> posts here. The scenario I have is I want to set up my Receptionist
    >>> with a new computer that will have Win XP and Quickbooks
    >>> (Multi-user) installed on it. I have two remote offices.
    >>>
    >>> My question is, if I set her computer up as a VPN server and share
    >>> her Quickbooks database can the remote sites access her computer
    >>> whilst she is still working?

    I like this suggestion. Use the SBS-2000 machine to provide VPN services.
    Connect from the remote location to the SBS-2000 via VPN, and then run
    Remote Desktop talking to a dedicated PC providing the accounting software.
    The issues of licensing for Quckbooks still apply.

    I know someone doing precisely this without the SBS machine involved. It
    isn't required, but if you have it, and are already using ISA Server as your
    firewall, that's the natural way to provide good secure connectivity.

    "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
    > Hi - don't install TS in application mode on your SBS server - it is a
    > huge
    > security risk, for one thing (and note that you can't even install TS in
    > app
    > mode on SBS2003 because MS finally got the joke). Your server should just
    > be
    > a server.
    >
    > Don't install any user/desktop software on your server, and don't let
    > users
    > log into it. If you can't use TS on a dedicated server, pick up a couple
    > of
    > workstations with XP Pro and use them for Remote Desktop.
    >
    > John Harris wrote:
    >> Thank you for the answers. Although not recommended for security
    >> reasons (among others) I think I'll probably have to go to SBS2000
    >> and TS until I can afford to go to SBS2003 and TS on a separate
    >> server.
    >>

    >> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
    >> <lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com> wrote in
    >> message news:ODcgFzYhEHA.3944@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    >>> In addition to the other answers:
    >>>
    >>> 1. You'd need Quickbooks in multi-user mode if multiple users were
    >>> to access the same file at the same time - requires additional
    >>> licenses.
    >>>
    >>> 2. Accessing database files of any sort, including Quickbooks,
    >>> across a VPN/WAN connection of any sort can be an unpleasant
    >>> experience. Depending on the speed and quality of the connection,
    >>> you may end up with a mess. I'd look into Remote Desktop for this
    >>> sort of access - or if simultaneous access is required, Terminal
    >>> Services on a Windows server (as RD supports only one login at a
    >>> time).

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

    Part if my problem (actually a big part) is money. If I could I would have
    the extra machine but right now I am stretched as it is. I can only use
    SBS2000 because the company already has it but it was not installed because
    at the time nobody knew how to. I have since taken over and do have some IT
    experience but no money. We can afford a machine but not two. I realise
    the risks involved but currently have very little choice. I have a large
    contract going through and this will get us going next year (and I should be
    able to afford the upgrade at that point) but right now I must go with what
    I've got. I know running TS in Application Mode is a no-no, as is using it
    as a workstation. However, right now I see no way out and I need these
    branch offices to be able to work into me.

    --
    Harry

    "Bill Sanderson" <Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> wrote in message
    > I like this suggestion. Use the SBS-2000 machine to provide VPN services.
    > Connect from the remote location to the SBS-2000 via VPN, and then run
    > Remote Desktop talking to a dedicated PC providing the accounting
    software.
    > The issues of licensing for Quckbooks still apply.
    >
    > I know someone doing precisely this without the SBS machine involved. It
    > isn't required, but if you have it, and are already using ISA Server as
    your
    > firewall, that's the natural way to provide good secure connectivity.
    >
    > "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
    message
    > > Hi - don't install TS in application mode on your SBS server - it is a
    > > huge
    > > security risk, for one thing (and note that you can't even install TS in
    > > app
    > > mode on SBS2003 because MS finally got the joke). Your server should
    just
    > > be
    > > a server.
    > >
    > > Don't install any user/desktop software on your server, and don't let
    > > users
    > > log into it. If you can't use TS on a dedicated server, pick up a couple
    > > of
    > > workstations with XP Pro and use them for Remote Desktop.
    > >
    > > John Harris wrote:
    > >> Thank you for the answers. Although not recommended for security
    > >> reasons (among others) I think I'll probably have to go to SBS2000
    > >> and TS until I can afford to go to SBS2003 and TS on a separate
    > >> server.
    > >>

    > >> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
    > >> <lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com> wrote in
    > >> message news:ODcgFzYhEHA.3944@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

    It sounds to me as though you've got a good grasp of the issues involved.
    There are lots of compromises involved in any security plan, and even in
    using a tool such as SBS, which puts all the eggs in one basket.

    I was hoping there'd be an old machine lying around in the corner, but in
    the absence of that, you do what you need to do!

    > Part if my problem (actually a big part) is money. If I could I would
    > have
    > the extra machine but right now I am stretched as it is. I can only use
    > SBS2000 because the company already has it but it was not installed
    > because
    > at the time nobody knew how to. I have since taken over and do have some
    > IT
    > experience but no money. We can afford a machine but not two. I realise
    > the risks involved but currently have very little choice. I have a large
    > contract going through and this will get us going next year (and I should
    > be
    > able to afford the upgrade at that point) but right now I must go with
    > what
    > I've got. I know running TS in Application Mode is a no-no, as is using
    > it
    > as a workstation. However, right now I see no way out and I need these
    > branch offices to be able to work into me.
    >
    > --
    > Harry
    >
    > "Bill Sanderson" <Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> wrote in message
    >> I like this suggestion. Use the SBS-2000 machine to provide VPN
    >> services.
    >> Connect from the remote location to the SBS-2000 via VPN, and then run
    >> Remote Desktop talking to a dedicated PC providing the accounting
    > software.
    >> The issues of licensing for Quckbooks still apply.
    >>
    >> I know someone doing precisely this without the SBS machine involved. It
    >> isn't required, but if you have it, and are already using ISA Server as
    > your
    >> firewall, that's the natural way to provide good secure connectivity.
    >>
    >> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
    >> <lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com> wrote in
    > message
    >> > Hi - don't install TS in application mode on your SBS server - it is a
    >> > huge
    >> > security risk, for one thing (and note that you can't even install TS
    >> > in
    >> > app
    >> > mode on SBS2003 because MS finally got the joke). Your server should
    > just
    >> > be
    >> > a server.
    >> >
    >> > Don't install any user/desktop software on your server, and don't let
    >> > users
    >> > log into it. If you can't use TS on a dedicated server, pick up a
    >> > couple
    >> > of
    >> > workstations with XP Pro and use them for Remote Desktop.

VPN Computers Windows XP