How to capture Images from DVD Movie

A member of my family got a whole bunch of old home moves put to a DVD by
some professional outfit. I would like to be able to get some images from
it, like JPGs or something that I can get pictures from. Either selecting
my own images or just having a bunch created that I can write to a CD would
be fine.

I have several pieces of software that work with DVDs, I am not sure any of
them can do this - Video Explosion, Ulead Movie Factory, and Nero.

The DVD can be played on a computer as well as a TV/DVD player. The disc
has 3 folders on it, JACKET_P, OpenDVD, and VIDEO_TS (which is where the
large file is). I can make copies of the DVD with Nero, fine.

There seem to be a huge number of shareware/freeware programs out there, can
anyone recommend the best way for me to get some images off the movie? It
would make a lot of people in our family very happy with some old memories
<g>

Thanks!

If you playback the DVD using a software player like PowerDVD, CinePlayer,
etc. there is usually an operation for saving frames within the program. Use
the controls to find the picture you want, place the player in pause, right
click and you will find a "save frame" or something similar.
--
Larry Johnson
Digital Video Solutions

"Pirate0819" <dawalt@comcastremovethispart.net> wrote in message
> A member of my family got a whole bunch of old home moves put to a DVD by
> some professional outfit. I would like to be able to get some images from
> it, like JPGs or something that I can get pictures from. Either selecting
> my own images or just having a bunch created that I can write to a CD
would
> be fine.
>
> I have several pieces of software that work with DVDs, I am not sure any
of
> them can do this - Video Explosion, Ulead Movie Factory, and Nero.
>
> The DVD can be played on a computer as well as a TV/DVD player. The disc
> has 3 folders on it, JACKET_P, OpenDVD, and VIDEO_TS (which is where the
> large file is). I can make copies of the DVD with Nero, fine.
>
> There seem to be a huge number of shareware/freeware programs out there,
can
> anyone recommend the best way for me to get some images off the movie? It
> would make a lot of people in our family very happy with some old memories
> <g>
>
> Thanks!

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 09:15:26 -0500, "Pirate0819"
<dawalt@comcastremovethispart.net> wrote:

>A member of my family got a whole bunch of old home moves put to a DVD by
>some professional outfit. I would like to be able to get some images from
>it, like JPGs or something that I can get pictures from.

DVD playing software use to have a clickable button to capture the
displayed image. Or you can load the VOB in a video editing program
(mpeg-vcr, VirtualDub+Avisynth, ...), and use their facilities to
select an image and save it.

"Bariloche" <bariloche@bariloche.com> a écrit dans le message de
> On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 09:15:26 -0500, "Pirate0819"
> <dawalt@comcastremovethispart.net> wrote:
>
> >A member of my family got a whole bunch of old home moves put to a DVD by
> >some professional outfit. I would like to be able to get some images
from
> >it, like JPGs or something that I can get pictures from.
>
> DVD playing software use to have a clickable button to capture the
> displayed image. Or you can load the VOB in a video editing program
> (mpeg-vcr, VirtualDub+Avisynth, ...), and use their facilities to
> select an image and save it.
> WinDVD 5 and Ulead DVD player you can capture an image in jpg (or bmp)
format when playing the video.

Pirate0819 <dawalt@comcastremovethispart.net> wrote:
: anyone recommend the best way for me to get some images off the movie? It
: would make a lot of people in our family very happy with some old memories

I know that PowerDVD and WinDVD can capture images in BMP. If you have any of
these programs and need help using this, let us know.

--Leonid